Sign in to follow this  
abx

What sound indicates to Jason that the boat is starting up?

I heard the devs implemented boat start notification for Jason, but I never noticed it, could it be that weird splashing sound?

@abx
   It sounds much like the sound you hear when you start the boat... The splashing sound is a screwed up gasoline repair... or pouring as the case may be. The static sound indicates a failed battery or electrical box repair... and the warning for the car sounds just like the car starting... The busy signal is a fail phone fuse box repair... Mother will plead "Don't let them take me!" when someone enters her room in your shack.

You do have a lot of questions... but you don't always have to start a new thread for each of them... you can ask more questions in one thread. There are quite a few people here that will try to answer your questions for you.

Also... if you are a fairly new player, there is a pinned thread near the top of "General Discussion" called: "The Playbook - Techniques and Strategies"... and another useful thread... "Tips for those of you who are having trouble." There is a lot of good stuff in both threads.

As Ahab stated, the boat sound for Jason is the same sound you hear when you start it yourself however...

as Jason you don't always hear it. 

Usually the only time you know someone is taking the boat is when you hear the metallic "whap!" sound when they mess up on the propeller.

Thanks, I will check that pinned thread. Yes, I am a new player and I will stop opening threads soon. It's the initial confusion, because there is a lot of things that the game does not explain in the tutorials. For example the car sound I initially thought that the car was very near and that someone tried to start it and then changed his mind... but after having the same thing happening I noticed there is no car nearby. And now when I hear this sound I just morph to try and stop it.

21 hours ago, SirMang said:

as Jason you don't always hear it. 

This. There was a long-running debate between myself and the group of people I play with whether or not the sound is heard by Jason. The answer is both sides were right. As Jason, sometimes you'll hear it and sometimes not. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the when or how. As a counselor, sometimes you have a smooth sail right to the exit with no resistance, while other times Jason is on you before you can get the boat up to top speed.

50 minutes ago, SteveChristy said:

As Jason, sometimes you'll hear it and sometimes not. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the when or how.

Unless there is a new audio bug, the only reasonable reason you probably don't hear it is with the multiple layers of SFX happening at once.  Since they decided to add the boat start-up sound, I always hear it when it's started, but muffled when things are happening (breaking doors/windows, counselors screaming/dying, music level drowning out the audio cues, thunderstorms, etc).

STILL think, though, that vehicles that get perfect repairs (no fails on any parts during skill checks) should get silent start-ups.  Jason doesn't hear a dial tone when the phone call to the police starts after a stealthy repair to the box, so why not apply that to vehicles as well?  Would help a bit with the stealth element for repair/quiet counselors. 

8 minutes ago, RustInPeace said:

STILL think, though, that vehicles that get perfect repairs (no fails on any parts during skill checks) should get silent start-ups.  Jason doesn't hear a dial tone when the phone call to the police starts after a stealthy repair to the box, so why not apply that to vehicles as well?  Would help a bit with the stealth element for repair/quiet counselors. 

Calling the cops you are standing still... and Jason gets his warning the moment you finished... you are still on foot and can be an easy target. It also has a timer before they arrive and counselors still have to make it out alive.
   The car is moving and Jason actually has to catch it... which for many is hit and miss to begin with... and if it reaches the exit they are gone, which can happen VERY quickly after starting the car. There is also no guarantee that Jason will kill the driver when it is stopped. Three other counselors pour out and hit you to knock him out of your grasp in most cases and a simple pocket knife turns it into a foot chase again. Now the car is MUCH closer to the exit when it is started again... and it often will be. Cars need that startup sound.

Stealth is great to get the car going... but cars... particularly back in the 80's... were pretty far from quiet. You can actually hear one start from quite the distance outside, but someone on the phone... pretty hard to hear from outside, let alone at distance. I am just grateful we get a warning that the cops are now on their way. Stealth should help get the job done... but once it is done? It can help you get away from the phone house still and keep distance between you and Jason... But cars back then were far from stealthy. 

Its just game balance... and it makes sense to me. Cars would be escaping literally in every match... sometimes twice if there was no start up warning... and that is six counselors. Even a perfect repair does not make for a quiet car start... not back then at least. 

22 hours ago, He's Killing Me said:

Usually the only time you know someone is taking the boat is when you hear the metallic "whap!" sound when they mess up on the propeller.

I forgot to mention that one... but that does not mean the boat is starting, just that the prop repair was screwed up. But it is a good hint to watch for the boat moving in case you do not hear the boat start up sound... Just because the prop is in, does not mean the gas is in... it may still be some time, if at all... before the boat starts moving.

@abx
    It has been a long time since I did not hear a boat start up sound when a boat started... I forgot to mention that sometimes you do not hear it. And the repair screw up sound for the prop… I forgot that too. 
    Remember though... look at your map before you morph. Which car is moving? When there are 2 cars and neither has moved yet, it is hard to say which got started. Wait and see which direction they go... morph ahead of them, preferably using stalk before morphing.. and then shift after them as soon as you spot them. Sense can help you locate them easier... you do not want to shift in the wrong direction...  If you morph too far ahead, your sense can run out before they come into range... so use sense judiciously when doing this... and watch them on your map if you cannot see them on sense yet.
    Always morph ahead of the boat too... never behind.
    We all get better with practice.
    This is the place to ask questions... so do not apologize for it... You can tag people in a thread as I tagged you if no one is answering. Many people here will try to help if they can.

2 hours ago, RustInPeace said:

Unless there is a new audio bug, the only reasonable reason you probably don't hear it is with the multiple layers of SFX happening at once.  Since they decided to add the boat start-up sound, I always hear it when it's started, but muffled when things are happening (breaking doors/windows, counselors screaming/dying, music level drowning out the audio cues, thunderstorms, etc).

The car is fine to me. The addition of the boat sound is what bothered me. It was a fair trade off to me. The chance at a silent escape for the risk of almost certain death if you got noticed.

The boat start up is still a bit bugged I think, I had a round or two today where I didn’t hear the noise at all....

I still don't remember ever hearing the boat start up sound. It's the 6th day I'm playing the game, yet as counselor when I spectate, I usually see Jason stopping the boat the seconds after they start it. So they must know that sound, I guess.

Yes YOU DONT HEAR IT when you DONT PAY ATTENTION LOL!

Anyway it sounds like starting a lawnmower.

Just to add, when the Devs added it back in it was a little more muffled then the car start up and easily missed depending on how much background noise was going on. Lately, I have not been able to hear it at all.

Just my experience on this subject.

23 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

This. There was a long-running debate between myself and the group of people I play with whether or not the sound is heard by Jason. The answer is both sides were right. As Jason, sometimes you'll hear it and sometimes not. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the when or how. As a counselor, sometimes you have a smooth sail right to the exit with no resistance, while other times Jason is on you before you can get the boat up to top speed.

Best thing to do is check the map frequently, even if you don't hear any of the boats audio cues. It is very easy to get distracted and not notice the boats even moving until it's too late to stop it.

In one of the matches I played yesterday I heard it, I was able to morph and drown both passengers in time. But the sound is subtle, a bit quieter and short, unlike the car's one.