Sign in to follow this  
tyrant666

I Don't Get The Marketing Strategy Here...

1. Game/DLC goes on sale for Steam

2. They offer a brief double xp

3. Then remove it...

And just like that, the PC playerbase went from 5k down to 1k inside 2 weeks. Granted, this is not ALL because they removed the double xp. Some players probably got a first hand experience of all the bugs and toxicity and decided its not worth sticking around to try to level up with a frustrating Las Vegas style perk system.

That said, I just don't get the strategy. Its almost like what Pappus said was true in his video. They have zero interest in player retention. In other words, doing things to intentionally drive players away.

This is what they should've done.

1. Game/DLC goes on sale for steam

2. They offer double xp/tape drops for the ENTIRE Summer

3. Then remove it come fall

Give new players incentive to want to stick around through all the bullshit and unlock counselors and Jasons, skins, colors, etc. Instead, they don't go that route. Some might say well maybe they are afraid the OG playerbase will throw a fit because they never got a double xp that long  and they had to unlock the hard way or maybe its because they plan on launching another double xp when the Switch launch happens.

Still, these feel like flimsy excuses. If they wanted to improve player retention. They would be more proactive in doing so.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

1. Game/DLC goes on sale for Steam

2. They offer a brief double xp

3. Then remove it...

And just like that, the PC playerbase went from 5k down to 1k inside 2 weeks. Granted, this is not ALL because they removed the double xp. Some players probably got a first hand experience of all the bugs and toxicity and decided its not worth sticking around to try to level up with a frustrating Las Vegas style perk system.

That said, I just don't get the strategy. Its almost like what Pappus said was true in his video. They have zero interest in player retention. In other words, doing things to intentionally drive players away.

This is what they should've done.

1. Game/DLC goes on sale for steam

2. They offer double xp/tape drops for the ENTIRE Summer

3. Then remove it come fall

Give new players incentive to want to stick around through all the bullshit and unlock counselors and Jasons, skins, colors, etc. Instead, they don't go that route. Some might way well maybe they are afraid the OG playerbase will throw a fit because they never got a double xp that long  and they had to unlock the hard way or maybe its because they plan on launching another double xp when the Switch launch happens.

Still, these feel like flimsy excuses. If they wanted to improve player retention. They would be more proactive in doing so.

Who knows what the reasoning was for the Double XP tapes removal so quickly.... but I highly doubt that will be the main reason the Player count will begin to dip...there are several reasons and a few that don’t even relate to the game itself...

obviously bugs and Toxicity will play a factor, but so will summer vacations and other games competing with it ....out of that increase in new players the best case Scenario is that the game keeps half of those players through out the summer.

They stopped the double XP early on Canada Day (July 1)... should have extended it that entire week to compensate for July 4th as well.  Missed opportunity sadly  0_o

4 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Pappus was a cheater?

He uses every exploit in the book and calls it "tactics".🙄

I wouldn't say Pappus was a cheater per se, he just abused and exploited the mechanics of the game to his advantage.

Stuff like morph trapping and abduction grabs with shift before it was patched out. 

2 minutes ago, SirMang said:

I wouldn't say Pappus was a cheater per se, he just abused and exploited the mechanics of the game to his advantage.

Stuff like morph trapping and abduction grabs with shift before it was patched out. 

Using exploits IS CHEATING!

• Thanks 3

I would never say Pappus was a clean player.

But his point (and the point of the reviewer he sites in his video) feel all too real about wanting to keep the playerbase around...or lack there of.

The decisions they make are baffling at times.

• Like 1

Just now, Vaderspupil said:

Using exploits IS CHEATING!

Meh. An exploit would be hiding by the packanack lodge chimney, thus lighting up the lodge, while you're outside.  I don't consider that to be cheating.  

Are exploits cheap?  Yes.  But there are counters to them.  There was no counter as Jason, for example, when someone PK'd their way through the Pack Lodge closet into an inaccessible room which I would consider cheating.

Hiding out on a roof is another example of cheating as not everyone knows how to get up there as Jason to counter it and stop some people's stupid actions. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SirMang said:

Is morph trapping really an exploit? The point of traps is to put put them down in places where you can catch Jason. Usually players only put them behind or infront of doors, but why not on spots you know he will spawn or in places you know he will go to put down traps? He puts his traps in places he knows you will go. Is Jason exploiting when he traps a car from repair? Just my opinion and I have no interest in morph trapping. I have put down counselor traps in front of phone box or car repair spot at times if it was left untrapped. I just always thought of it as staying ahead of Jason.

• Thanks 2

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Is morph trapping really an exploit? The point of traps is to put put them down in places where you can catch Jason. Usually players only put them behind or infront of doors, but why not on spots you know he will spawn or in places you know he will go to put down traps? He puts his traps in places he knows you will go. Is Jason exploiting when he traps a car from repair? Just my opinion and I have no interest in morph trapping. I have put down counselor traps in front of phone box or car repair spot at times if it was left untrapped. I just always thought of it as staying ahead of Jason.

What morph trapping is, is putting a trap on the exact Jason morph point.  He hits the trap right out of the morph and can't do anything.  Near the Pack Lodge was a highly used place for this because that extra 5ish seconds it takes Jason to get out of the trap could make the difference in the car starting/gas put in or not.  

Now the thing with morph trapping, as opposed to just putting a trap behind a door as a counselor is, when Jason shakes off the morph trap it doesn't move.  It'll stay exactly where the morph spot is.  So after Jason has left the area, you can just reset the trap and if Jason morphs back, he's back in the same trap. 

Morph trapping requires you to know the maps and morph points.  It's abusing a mechanic of the game to your advantage.  Is it cheating?  I wouldn't say it is but it is definitely an exploit. 

Meh. An exploit would be hiding by the packanack lodge chimney, thus lighting up the lodge, while you're outside.  I don't consider that to be cheating.  

Are exploits cheap?  Yes.  But there are counters to them.  There was no counter as Jason, for example, when someone PK'd their way through the Pack Lodge closet into an inaccessible room which I would consider cheating.

Hiding out on a roof is another example of cheating as not everyone knows how to get up there as Jason to counter it and stop some people's stupid actions. 

Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

An exploit is any action or effect used by a player in order to gain an advantage over the competition when said action/effect was not intended to be a part of the orginal game design. A player using exploits is no different than an athlete using performance enhancing drugs to gain an advantage in his/her sport. There's no place for it when the majority are trying to compete legitly clean.

1 minute ago, Vaderspupil said:

An exploit is any action or effect used by a player in order to gain an advantage over the competition when said action/effect was not intended to be a part of the orginal game design. A player using exploits is no different than an athlete using performance enhancing drugs to gain an advantage in his/her sport. There's no place for it when the majority are trying to compete legitly clean.

So is shift batting cheating?  Side shift?  Shift pin?  Hitting Jason through a window?  

I don't think any of those were intended by game design, but they exist and people use them.  

7 minutes ago, SirMang said:

What morph trapping is, is putting a trap on the exact Jason morph point.  He hits the trap right out of the morph and can't do anything.  Near the Pack Lodge was a highly used place for this because that extra 5ish seconds it takes Jason to get out of the trap could make the difference in the car starting/gas put in or not.  

Now the thing with morph trapping, as opposed to just putting a trap behind a door as a counselor is, when Jason shakes off the morph trap it doesn't move.  It'll stay exactly where the morph spot is.  So after Jason has left the area, you can just reset the trap and if Jason morphs back, he's back in the same trap. 

Morph trapping requires you to know the maps and morph points.  It's abusing a mechanic of the game to your advantage.  Is it cheating?  I wouldn't say it is but it is definitely an exploit. 

I still don't agree, when the intended purpose of the trap was to trap Jason. The issue if anything is that the devs restricted where Jason could morph in that leave him with a handicap. Kind of like his engine upgrade grab. Its long and clunky, so baiting and stunning became a useful tactic. Would you call that an exploit? The intended purpose of a stun is to stun. IDK, just the way im thinking, maybe im grasping at straws here. I would be happy as hell if I ever got morph trapped. Kinda like I am when i nail a morph grab,. lol

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I still don't agree, when the intended purpose of the trap was to trap Jason. The issue if anything is that the devs restricted where Jason could morph in that leave him with a handicap. Kind of like his engine upgrade grab. Its long and clunky, so baiting and stunning became a useful tactic. Would you call that an exploit? The intended purpose of a stun is to stun. IDK, just the way im thinking, maybe im grasping at straws here. I would be happy as hell if I ever got morph trapped. Kinda like I am when i nail a morph grab,. lol

Yeah some of the morph points in this game are really really bad.

Like Crystal Lake when the car is near the water.  If you click anywhere near that car, you're on the beach on the opposite side of a fence.  

Now, imagine if you put a trap right on that morph point as a counselor and someone was getting the car going as Jason morphed over?  They could finish their repair, start the car, fill the car and drive off before Jason has any chance of getting out of the trap, around the fence and near the car.  

So is shift batting cheating?  Side shift?  Shift pin?  Hitting Jason through a window?  

I don't think any of those were intended by game design, but they exist and people use them.  

If it wasn't intended, then yes and they shouldn't  use them. I don't. Some of those  are worse than others. At least stunning through a window somewhat makes sense unlike stunning through a solid closed door.

9 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

If it wasn't intended, then yes and they shouldn't  use them. I don't. Some of those  are worse than others. At least stunning through a window somewhat makes sense unlike stunning through a solid closed door.

I think that's the hard thing to determine. What was intended and what wasn't(well some things are blatant obvious like roof glitch). Only way we ever find out if a close one wasn't is the day it gets patched out. I just like to have fun with others, so if something I'm doing pisses people of I just don't do it rather it was an exploit or not. Just had this instance the other night with a long time steam friend of mine. I was last left and making it tough on him to catch and kill and he got a little pissed and yelled and called me a troll since other people that were dead in lobby were waiting for match to end. In my head I was having fun running him all over, but he didn't enjoy it, so i just stopped and let him kill me even though i had another knife and 2 spray uses left. It is what it is.

Someone said the P-word. I need a shower after hearing that.

All joking aside, a lengthy time frame of increased XP/CP wouldn't have been a bad thing.

2 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

It's the same cycle every time. Something brings in a bunch of new players, and a fair number of those players move on. I think that's just gonna be the future of this game, as bad as it is. I am thankful for the players that decide to stick around.

1 hour ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Yep.... and endorsed it

That's not unlike other players (some forum members) that do the same thing.

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

He uses every exploit in the book and calls it "tactics".🙄

It all seems to be a matter of perspective from player to player. One person's "exploits" are another person's "tactics".

I've seen a great many people in a great many games use the mechanics of the games outside of the developers' vision of intent. I believe you can think outside the box, but still play within the boundaries of intention.

1 hour ago, tyrant666 said:

I would never say Pappus was a clean player.

But his point (and the point of the reviewer he sites in his video) feel all too real about wanting to keep the playerbase around...or lack there of.

The decisions they make are baffling at times.

Is there such a thing as a clean cheater?

51 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

At least stunning through a window somewhat makes sense unlike stunning through a solid closed door.

Stunning through a window only makes sense if you (and your weapon) could magically phase through the wall and broken glass still in the window frame without injuring yourself in the attempt... There is literally no way in hell you could swing a bat through a window like that without the magical phasing part... let alone not injure yourself on the broken glass.

45 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

In my head I was having fun running him all over, but he didn't enjoy it, so i just stopped and let him kill me even though i had another knife and 2 spray uses left. It is what it is.

I was having a blast spectating (if that was the match I am thinking about)... I still don't feel you had to do that... but it was very nice of you. The rest of us do not mind waiting... A great chase is just fun to watch.

13 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

It's the same cycle every time. Something brings in a bunch of new players, and a fair number of those players move on. I think that's just gonna be the future of this game, as bad as it is. I am thankful for the players that decide to stick around.

The Steam summer sale felt like literally every game was on sale... I picked up another couple games myself.
    We cannot expect everyone to play this game exclusively... there are so many other games to play. Personally, I can only stay away from Crystal Lake for so long... There is just something about this place that keeps bringing me back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I was having a blast spectating (if that was the match I am thinking about)... I still don't feel you had to do that... but it was very nice of you. The rest of us do not mind waiting... A great chase is just fun to watch.

I'm the same way. The best part of the game are the chases. When I'm Jason i want the counselor to give me his best everytime and when I'm counselor I want to bring the best out in that Jason and have him get a good kill. Now if the counselor was emote dancing and tea bagging along the way I may get a little pissed, and think of as a troll, but its still his right. The way to get revenge on those ones is to kill for mama. 😈

I think the player count went down because there are many players that don’t care to continue with a game that’s filled with cheaters and many bugs/glitches. This is why I’ve said before that fixing this game and eliminating the cheaters from the game needs to be done ASAP not “soon”. 

See, there’s people like us who don’t care and have much love for this game and will continue to play it even though we have to put up with bugs, glitches, and cheaters. And then there’s players who won’t deal with it and will leave the game entirely. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

The Steam summer sale felt like literally every game was on sale... I picked up another couple games myself.

We cannot expect everyone to play this game exclusively... there are so many other games to play. Personally, I can only stay away from Crystal Lake for so long... There is just something about this place that keeps bringing me back.

I would never twist the arm of any gamer to play a game they don't enjoy. This game isn't for everyone. People try it and like it, love it, or don't. Some have a bit more tolerance to bugs and toxic behavior than others.

I can vouch for the inability to focus on just one game. I have a great many titles myself, with so little time to enjoy them. Family, work, friendships and hobbies must also be kept in mind. That's why cloning needs to be permitted.

59 minutes ago, DontZzz34 said:

See, there’s people like us who don’t care and have much love for this game and will continue to play it even though we have to put up with bugs, glitches, and cheaters. And then there’s players who won’t deal with it and will leave the game entirely. 

well put. i can see why the average gamer might miss out on this great game simpley from one too many bad experiences right out the rip. while me on the other hand would still play the game if the bugs manifested themselves into real life & put my car on its side on my way to work. im so used to the bugs by now that its just a part of the game to me..

59 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I'm the same way. The best part of the game are the chases. When I'm Jason i want the counselor to give me his best everytime and when I'm counselor I want to bring the best out in that Jason and have him get a good kill. Now if the counselor was emote dancing and tea bagging along the way I may get a little pissed, and think of as a troll, but its still his right. The way to get revenge on those ones is to kill for mama. 😈

Dancers are not always trolls... Some people just like to dance. There are times you may even catch me dancing around a fire and claiming victory... which does not always work well for me... but it works to pass the time until the cops arrive without giving off sound pings.
    The teabaggers are truly annoying though... I would have liked to see a special grab kill that could only be used on a teabagger. Fortunately, after rage sets in... the tea bagging becomes far more detrimental to the counselors.
     Pamela will have to bake more cookies... Jason will need his reward "soon".

24 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I would never twist the arm of any gamer to play a game they don't enjoy.

Arm twisting is bad... and can result in serious injury... but I will send invites to people that I see are online and not in the game. Some will pop in, others thank me for the invitation but do not necessarily want to play. Some remain utterly silent for weeks and come back out of no where sometime later. Sometimes I get someone playing again that has not been in game in months... But I will not continually spam them with invites. They will either play or they won't... we cannot (and should not) force them in, but we can let them know there are still people willing to play the game with them... and sometimes that is enough.

30 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

That's why cloning needs to be permitted.

There are consequences to cloning... and I must still question the ethics of that one. Even if we could transfer memories into a clone, from that moment forward you are two (or more) different people... and there can be only one "me".
    It would be great for organ transplants without the morality issues of killing the clone for its liver... the clone is still human after all... and in the words of John Cleese... "No one has ever had their liver removed by us and survived!"