Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Bring Back Stun in Rage Mode!

Hello, 

So I've played this game since launch and have done everything. I've played the game in and out and have been both immersed, and had fun playing the game for what it is. Before you could stun Jason until the very end. Personally I found this to be the only challenge. Surviving 20 minutes stunning and running. Personally that's what it came down to with me. I found with the right group of people the base game was too easy getting all of the items and fixing a way out. If I was solo queuing I found that nothing happened, ever, there was no "teamwork". So I would have to rely on skill to power through the game and "win" (survive the 20 minutes). Until the newest update where you cannot stun Jason in rage mode, I was always coming back to the game regardless of no content, because of the harsh challenge that comes with surviving a whole 20 minutes by stunning Jason and running. 

A couple of outside opinions on this play style range from: That doesn't make sense Jason is suppose to be overpowered and beat you. To, That is toxic behavior and results in people quitting or being mad at the game. My arguments that go against these seemingly understandable points would be that although Jason is overpowered in the sense of ability over the counselor, It's just a game. For me I find it extremely boring and unnecessary to have it where half of the game time is cut because 10 minutes in Jason is invulnerable to 90% of attacks (shotguns and flare guns are scarce). If a team was doing awful and not talking, or not contributing, your hope is lost and you mine as well quit the game of accept death at 10 minutes in. Because alone you can't outrun, defend, or even trick Jason in Rage Mode. It's borderline God Mode. It doesn't make sense In a game sense because, Why would anyone want to play a game where ten minutes in if you don't have a good enough team or Jason is skillful and managed to press his work correctly, you are rendered useless. In a video game there should always be hope and a drive, it's bad developing to allow a game to have no drive or intent halfway through a match! Even if this mean tweaking the realism of the films and the overall idea of Jason, I think it makes it more of a game, and fun. As for toxicity this is a good argument and a touchy subject. My argument against it would be simply, if you think it's toxic behavior, or toxic game play, chances are you need to take a break, or be more mature. It's a video game, if you don't find it fun, don't play it! Calm down, and come back later. Many games can be competitive in the sense of skill, and my general argument is handle YOUR anger and be a responsible gamer for YOURSELF!

So what do I hope to gain from this? Change. Simply because with a game that has restrictions and seemingly no hope, fixing issues your players want could give some hope and make it last longer than you would think. I conclude two solutions to be fair. One on the opposing side, if you think they should keep the no stunning in rage mode, I think a balance factor would be this only occurs in the last 5 minutes, as the rage ability could gain more and more abilities over TIME rather then right away, this gives hope and a survivor more time to play the game without being rendered useless. On the side that stands with my opinion (hopefully majority) I say bring back stunning with weapon, but reduce stun duration, and make the stun duration perk more useful! Or have it so there is a greater cool down on stunning (e.g. I stun Jason, and have to wait 1 minute before stunning him again. Forcing me to run or seek shelter, and other means of survival). To add to that last possible fix I would make the stun cool down generalized so if one counselor stunned Jason, ALL counselors are penalized. This would give survivors a greater chance at survival, and would make Jason focus on using his other abilities after getting stunned, or realizing the survivor is being skillful, to kill them. Jason's should be more strategic and single people out with Stalk, Sense, and Shift. Rather brute forcing everyone, and relying on a crutch in rage mode. 

Thank you for reading!

Bringing back stunning Jason I’m rage will just bring back lobbies beating on Jason all game. You can still survive the night against Jason, more so with high stam counselors. Learn how to manage your stamina and use windows when u need them. 

Although I think final girl and tommy stunning Jason in rage would be a good to add in. And with that, I think the last 5 minutes Jason should be unstunnable with melee attacks unless it’s with sweater 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 4:03 AM, DontZzz34 said:

Bringing back stunning Jason I’m rage will just bring back lobbies beating on Jason all game

I'll have to agree with this.Not a lot of Jason "mains" would want this back nor would some of the "normal" players.The 20 minute tea bag and dance parties took a LOT out of the imersion of the game and it took little to no skill to do. Same applies to killing Jason presently really in my opinion.The rage buff didn't help in that at all like it was suppose to kind of do. If it gets dialed back, I would be ok with flare guns and fireworks working in rage as long as those didn't count toward mask remove damage.

• Like 2

Well...if you've played the game since launch. You should know these guys barely make any changes to the game and when they do...they let it 'marinate'  for months and months...and months. So even if they change it, it won't be anytime soon.

That said, I don't agree.

The meta of the game is pretty bad and a lot of it became beating on Jason for 20 minutes. Something needed to change.

That said, the game needs a lot more changes and given the workrate and success rate of these guys. I honestly don't ever expect the game to reach its full potential on BOTH sides.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

I'll have to agree with this.Not a lot of Jason "mains" would want this back nor would some of the "normal" players.The 20 minute tea bag and dance parties took a LOT out of the emersion of the game and it took little to no skill to do. Same applies to killing Jason presently really in my opinion.The rage buff didn't help in that at all like it was suppose to kind of do. If it gets dialed back, I would be ok with flare guns and fireworks working in rage as long as those didn't count toward mask remove damage.

Flares and fireworks stunning in rage would be nice to have again. And also I really really wish tommy could stun a raged Jason. It’s really difficult trying to play the hero role without stunning Jason. 

Last night I come in as tommy, Jason is just taking out this worthless lobby by the minute so I go stun him, taunt him to try to get him on me. I did a good job keeping him off others tails for the time being then he hits rage and tunnels everyone down and I saved people from his grab probably 10 times. Then he just slashes everyone to death while I just sit there and watch and have no sort of defense for the counselors. Then there’s me last one alive and I survived the night. Just wish I coulda helped save others more if I could stun Jason in rage with tommy. 

@Bear, welcome to the forum. You've put a lot in your initial post. Let's touch on a few of your points.

- Whether you are going the lone wolf approach, or playing with a coordinated team, it takes skill. An entire team does not always survive, just as a lone wolf does not always fail. The skill of the player, and the ability to think outside the box, determines their rate of survival.

- Having a coordinated team is great. Survival is still possible, even without a team, and even without putting emphasis on repeatedly stunning Jason. Read some of the well written posts by the members here, and you'll see what I mean.

- What's "easy" or "difficult" in this game depends on a number of variables. How skilled is each counselor? How skilled is Jason? How well does each player know the map? Is anyone trying to get things done? The answer to these and other questions have an impact on the challenge of each match.

- Jason should be more powerful than the team of counselors. This is an asymmetrical survival horror game. The developers had a vision of a slasher that should be killing the majority of counselors each match, similar to the movies. Killing Jason was meant to be a rare feat, rather than the rate it is currently. You've played the game since launch, so you know all about the stun parties people had with Jason for almost 20 minutes continuously. The changes to Rage cut down on that, and it was for the better. There may be some more changes in the future, and hopefully those will get us closer to ideal balance.

- You have 20 minutes in a match. Jason is not in Rage at the start. There is more than enough time for people to escape, or kill Jason. If Jason makes it into Rage, then players have to cope with it. You can still survive, if you are resourceful, and adaptive. Feeling "useless" is all in one's mind.

- This is a game, that much is true. The fun that one has in this game, all depends on your perception of the word "fun".

Could you make an introduction post when you get a second, thanks.

I’ll apologize in advance, sorry this is going to take a hard left after my polite request. 

20 hours ago, Bear said:

Hello, 

So I've played this game since launch and have done everything. Good for you, glad you’ve gotten all your trophies, badges and tapes.

I've played the game in and out and have been both immersed, and had fun playing the game for what it is. This seems like a backhanded way to say that.

Before you could stun Jason until the very end. and it was toxic and against the intent of the games developers.

Personally I found this to be the only challenge. Doing something that is easy isn’t a challenge, what you mean is, you enjoyed the feeling it gave you to do this to another person. 

Surviving 20 minutes stunning and running. You still can and it’s more of a challenge.

Personally that's what it came down to with me. The pubs need to think about more than that when balance is in question or intent is misrepresented. 

I found with the right group of people the base game was too easy getting all of the items and fixing a way out. It can be, but if you have a good group you can set other challenges for yourself ie. escaping with the mask or via a specific route, surviving the night as a team.

If I was solo queuing I found that nothing happened, ever, there was no "teamwork". I can generally find at least one person who wants to buddy up and pressure objectives. Teaching people is another tactic if you want better QP lobbies.

So I would have to rely on skill to power through the game and "win" (survive the 20 minutes). You still can, just takes more skill.

Until the newest update where you cannot stun Jason in rage mode, I was always coming back to the game regardless of no content, because of the harsh challenge that comes with surviving a whole 20 minutes by stunning Jason and running. Now that it’s actually hard, it’s to hard, got it. I think you put to much emphasis on hitting Jason.

A couple of outside opinions on this play style range from: That doesn't make sense Jason is suppose to be overpowered and beat you. He is supposed to be OP at killing, but you don’t have to stand around and let him.

To, That is toxic behavior and results in people quitting or being mad at the game. It was toxic, that’s why it got a derogatory name ie piñata parties. But really you’re missing a few arguments, things like the publisher’s intent for Jason to be a threat that needed to be avoided, not hunted just for fun. There’s also that rage makes it easier to kill Jason and they left that as an option. He’s OP if you’re not killing him, just doesn’t sound all that OP. 

My arguments that go against these seemingly understandable points would be that although Jason is overpowered in the sense of ability over the counselor, It's just a game. This isn’t an argument, if it’s just a game then having the rules adjusted to make it more fair, is a good thing. It’s just a game man, it goes both ways. 

For me I find it extremely boring and unnecessary to have it where half of the game time is cut because 10 minutes in Jason is invulnerable to 90% of attacks (shotguns and flare guns are scarce). Flare guns don’t stun in Rage, just bear traps, Pk’s and shotguns. (Edit - and de-masking.)

If a team was doing awful and not talking, or not contributing, your hope is lost and you mine as well quit the game of accept death at 10 minutes in. Because alone you can't outrun, defend, or even trick Jason in Rage Mode. Um, Jason is still able to be tricked, defended against (set traps) and out run. I play Mitch mostly and have very little trouble with your average Jason in a race, post rage.

It's borderline God Mode. It doesn't make sense In a game sense because, Why would anyone want to play a game where ten minutes in if you don't have a good enough team or Jason is skillful and managed to press his work correctly, you are rendered useless. Well it seems other people don’t see it that way. They enjoy the challenge but to each their own maybe Friday is harder than you thought. 

In a video game there should always be hope and a drive, it's bad developing to allow a game to have no drive or intent halfway through a match! Use that as drive to escape pre-rage. If not, run and hope to survive the night by planning and setting up routes that slow him down. 

Even if this mean tweaking the realism of the films and the overall idea of Jason, I think it makes it more of a game, and fun. Counter point, the game is more fun now. At least for some people.

As for toxicity this is a good argument and a touchy subject. My argument against it would be simply, if you think it's toxic behavior, or toxic game play, chances are you need to take a break, or be more mature. So anyone who thinks differently than you about why it’s toxic should quit or grow up. Not a great argument in my opinion, more like a criticism. 

It's a video game, if you don't find it fun, don't play it! You said it man, take your own advice. 

Calm down, and come back later. More wisdom you’ve failed to internalize. 

Many games can be competitive in the sense of skill, and my general argument is handle YOUR anger and be a responsible gamer for YOURSELF! I think based on the rest of your piece, you don’t play the game on a skill level where you can talk down to people, then again, I don’t think anyone does.  Not sure how this is you being a responsible gamer, seems more like shifting the blame for not being able to stun Jason and realizing you’re not very good otherwise.

So what do I hope to gain from this? Change. Good luck with that, I don’t think you’re going to be convincing anyone though.

Simply because with a game that has restrictions and seemingly no hope, fixing issues your players want could give some hope and make it last longer than you would think. This just reads as ‘give me what I want’.

I conclude two solutions to be fair. One on the opposing side, if you think they should keep the no stunning in rage mode, I think a balance factor would be this only occurs in the last 5 minutes, as the rage ability could gain more and more abilities over TIME rather then right away, this gives hope and a survivor more time to play the game without being rendered useless. On the side that stands with my opinion (hopefully majority) I say bring back stunning with weapon, but reduce stun duration, and make the stun duration perk more useful! Or have it so there is a greater cool down on stunning (e.g. I stun Jason, and have to wait 1 minute before stunning him again. Forcing me to run or seek shelter, and other means of survival). To add to that last possible fix I would make the stun cool down generalized so if one counselor stunned Jason, ALL counselors are penalized. This would give survivors a greater chance at survival, and would make Jason focus on using his other abilities after getting stunned, or realizing the survivor is being skillful, to kill them. Jason's should be more strategic and single people out with Stalk, Sense, and Shift. Rather brute forcing everyone, and relying on a crutch in rage mode. 

Thank you for reading!

You’re welcome, but I think rage is fine and your ideas in the last paragraph don’t really add anything to the conversation.

• Like 1

Don’t forget 1.The sweater still stuns in rage! 

2.As a player pissed at first about this, I can tell you 90% of the time regardless of rage I still survive a match lol.

Adapt your playstyle or try others. When he gets rage, go for sharp weapons not stun weapons. 

If need be shoot a flare at his face just to do mask damage, do whatever you can to adjust and make it easier when he has rage, because it is most definetly not as end game as you make it out to be.

I feel like Jason gets rage a little too easy though, like I feel like it shouldn’t be possible until atleast half the round has gone by, that why he can’t just get hit and get it early. I feel like for the whole “cant stun this” *hammer dance*, thing, it would be a nice trade off

1 hour ago, SteadyGosling said:

Don’t forget 1.The sweater still stuns in rage! 

2.As a player pissed at first about this, I can tell you 90% of the time regardless of rage I still survive a match lol.

Adapt your playstyle or try others. When he gets rage, go for sharp weapons not stun weapons. 

If need be shoot a flare at his face just to do mask damage, do whatever you can to adjust and make it easier when he has rage, because it is most definetly not as end game as you make it out to be.

I feel like Jason gets rage a little too easy though, like I feel like it shouldn’t be possible until atleast half the round has gone by, that why he can’t just get hit and get it early. I feel like for the whole “cant stun this” *hammer dance*, thing, it would be a nice trade off

I agree with hits not counting toward rage. I feel it should be based off the timer. 10 minutes left In game Jason has rage mode. Then at least let Tommy J stun Jason until there’s 5 minutes left so he can play the hero role more effectively. 

12 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

I agree with hits not counting toward rage. I feel it should be based off the timer. 10 minutes left In game Jason has rage mode. Then at least let Tommy J stun Jason until there’s 5 minutes left so he can play the hero role more effectively. 

I think I could live with this compromise it doesn't nerf the rage buff too much and maybe enough to calm down the whiners a bit.It would some what cure the teaming aspect too as hitting him to get in rage quicker wouldn't work anymore.

6 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

I think I could live with this compromise it doesn't nerf the rage buff too much and maybe enough to calm down the whiners a bit.It would some what cure the teaming aspect too as hitting him to get in rage quicker wouldn't work anymore.

Yes I feel this is a very good balancing idea they could add into the game. There’s still a ton of people who whine about the rage buff, so I feel both sides of the players would finally be about equally as happy.