Dunken

[Question] How big is 2% more Damage Resistance?

I currently run Think Skinned with a 18% overall less damage and no drawbacks. But how significant would 20% be compared to 18%? It's only 2% more so what more can I tank with it?

8 minutes ago, Dunken said:

I currently run Think Skinned with a 18% overall less damage and no drawbacks. But how significant would 20% be compared to 18%? It's only 2% more so what more can I tank with it?

Only way know would be through testing it out. I’d be willing to test out the percentage via private match if ur on xbox

12 minutes ago, DontZzz34 said:

Only way know would be through testing it out. I’d be willing to test out the percentage via private match if ur on xbox

I am. So your Gamertag is DontZzz34 right?

I don't think it will buy you an extra hit or anything significant enough to make a difference. I traded my 20% with a negative for a 18% with no negative and haven't noticed a difference. 

3 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

I don't think it will buy you an extra hit or anything significant enough to make a difference. I traded my 20% with a negative for a 18% with no negative and haven't noticed a difference. 

Dunken and I actually just spent awhile tonight testing out perks and here’s what we found. 

Between 18% & 20% damage resistance to kill a counselor

Knives- 5

Broken Windows- 13

Traps- 3

non weapon strength Jason 

Slashes- 7

Weapon strength jason 

Slashes- 5

we found the only difference 20% makes from 18% is more block damage resistance. 

20% thick skin counselors can block 33 slashes against a non weapon strength Jason. 18% can block 32 slashes. Thrawn you were right, there’s pretty much no difference between them. 

We also tested Jason block damage. 

Part 8 Jason can block  9 machete hits, 4 axe hits, and 1 steel pipe hit from Buggzy before his mask falls off. So we found counselors can block more hits then Jason lol

• Like 2

To my knowledge, it works multiplicatively, rather than additively.

If a counselor's damage resistance is 50% normally(just an arbitrary example number), The 18% more resistance isn't 18 + 50 = 68, but 18% of 50 added to 50, which would be 9, for a total of 59. So 20% damage resistance would be 50 x 0.2 = 10 + 50 = 60

From 59 to 60 is a 1.66% difference. 59/60 = 0.983333, 100 - 98.3333 = 1.6666

So to upgrade from 18% to 20% you are gaining an additional 1.66% over the previous resistance.

If it normally takes 4 hits to kill with Normal Weapon Strength Jasons, and no perks, that would be essentially 25% health damage per hit.

To my recollection, Weapon Strength Jasons take 3 hits to kill with no perks, which would essentially be 33.3% damage per hit.

Say if damage resistance reduces the damage of each attack, it would reduce it by the multiple of the damage value. If that's true, then...

18% resistance = Damage x 0.82

20% resistance = Damage x 0.8

Health Pool = 100

18% VS Normal Weapon Strength Attacks:

18% resistance would be: 25 x 0.82 = 20.5 final damage rating

100 ÷ 20.5 = 4.878

Since partial attacks don't exist, this would effectively take you from 4 hits-to-kill to 5 hits-to-kill.

20% VS Normal Weapon Strength Attacks:

20% resistance would be: 25 x 0.8 = 20

100 ÷ 20 = 5

The difference between 20% and 18% is so small it has the same effect of effectively reducing attacks-to-kill by the same amount for Normal Weapon Strength Jasons.

18% vs +Weapon Strength Jasons:

18% resistance = 33.33 x 0.82 = 27.33

100 ÷ 27.33 = 3.65

This effectively reduces the hits from 3 hits-to-kill to 4-hits-to-kill.

20% vs +Weapon Strength Jasons:

20% resistance = 33.33 x 0.8 = 26.66

100 ÷ 26.66 = 3.75

Effectively reduces the hits from 3 hits-to-kill to 4-hits to kill.

CONCLUSION: There is "effectively" no difference between 18% and 20%. But this is assuming that Jason's damage values are exactly 25% and 33.3% for the different weapon strength ratings. They are likely a bit more.

1 hour ago, DontZzz34 said:

Dunken and I actually just spent awhile tonight testing out perks and here’s what we found. 

Between 18% & 20% damage resistance to kill a counselor

Knives- 5

Broken Windows- 13

Traps- 3

non weapon strength Jason 

Slashes- 7

Weapon strength jason 

Slashes- 5

we found the only difference 20% makes from 18% is more block damage resistance. 

20% thick skin counselors can block 33 slashes against a non weapon strength Jason. 18% can block 32 slashes. Thrawn you were right, there’s pretty much no difference between them. 

We also tested Jason block damage. 

Part 8 Jason can block  9 machete hits, 4 axe hits, and 1 steel pipe hit from Buggzy before his mask falls off. So we found counselors can block more hits then Jason lol

I wondered about blocking or window climbs making a difference. 

14 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

To my knowledge, it works multiplicatively, rather than additively.

If a counselor's damage resistance is 50% normally(just an arbitrary example number), The 18% more resistance isn't 18 + 50 = 68, but 18% of 50 added to 50, which would be 9, for a total of 59. So 20% damage resistance would be 50 x 0.2 = 10 + 50 = 60

From 59 to 60 is a 1.66% difference. 59/60 = 0.983333, 100 - 98.3333 = 1.6666

So to upgrade from 18% to 20% you are gaining an additional 1.66% over the previous resistance.

I don't think counselors have a damage resistance. I think they just have the base hp with any damage reduction from thick skin.

@thrawn3054 I didn't calculate blocking. It might make a difference against blocking. I did some more calculations since you quoted and I concluded there is no practical difference between the two just for taking straight hits without blocking. Blocking and traps and window damage is another matter. As far as I know, my math is solid because I've counted the hits on the counselors and perks I use, and counted the hits against bots as Jason.

Maybe the resistance works by reducing the damage of attacks rather than giving them some kind of defense rating.