Sign in to follow this  
SteadyGosling

Will anyone be playing Switch Édition?

I’m honestly tempted to buy a switch to play it on, not sure if I will as other things are shinier but after watching Matt’s stream I’m looking into it. Maybe other titles will convince me now that I’ve seen Friday on it.

Id buy a switch if it were like $100. $250-300 sounds steep to me for what I would play on it.

The Switch is a great system.  If you're not into Nintendo first-party games, though, it may be hard to justify.

Honestly...after watching that Switch stream.

It didn't help them in any way shape or form with their critics IMO.

They treat the IP like its some goofball party game, backed up by how much they clearly play the game, which showed in the stream. A far cry from what they tried to sell the playerbase with immersion and atmosphere pre launch/beta/alpha.

This is starting to look like one of the greatest 'bait and switches' in gaming history.

They sold us on the F13 IP before launch and during development. Then they gave us a poorly coded Street Fighter: F13 Edition.

This would be like some indy gaming company trying to sell a playerbase their next James Bond game is going to be the next Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and instead you get Call Of Duty: James Bond edition. Its false advertising.

Don't get me wrong. The game is fun, but the dream of this IP being treated with care and effort is like...probably dead. Its just being used as a cash register now for all its worth.

Sorry ya'll, that's just what I saw in the stream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Daneasaur said:

I likely will if only because I'm on a family online plan and my brother has wanted to play with me. I likely won't get it at launch though and I won't be getting it at all if it doesn't have client side saves.

Have they ever given an answer on the client side save situation?

3 hours ago, Daneasaur said:

I likely will if only because I'm on a family online plan and my brother has wanted to play with me. I likely won't get it at launch though and I won't be getting it at all if it doesn't have client side saves.

Ignore- duplicate.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:37 PM, tyrant666 said:

This is starting to look like one of the greatest 'bait and switches' in gaming history.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0f0e906e347758770c0bb5&rid=giphy.gif

I see what you did there.

• Like 1

Why would I buy it on Switch if it's still bugged on the current platform I play it on? 😕

Noticed the game slashed down to $20 at Walmart today. Half the price and double the bugs. Not bad. 😄

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 1:38 PM, malloymk said:

Not yet. It's something they have been very quiet in regards to.

5 hours ago, Daneasaur said:

Not yet. It's something they have been very quiet in regards to.

Because it means they would be forced to admit when the end of the game would be.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:37 PM, tyrant666 said:

Honestly...after watching that Switch stream.

It didn't help them in any way shape or form with their critics IMO.

They treat the IP like its some goofball party game, backed up by how much they clearly play the game, which showed in the stream. A far cry from what they tried to sell the playerbase with immersion and atmosphere pre launch/beta/alpha.

They sold us on the F13 IP before launch and during development. Then they gave us a poorly coded Street Fighter: F13 Edition.

This would be like some indy gaming company trying to sell a playerbase their next James Bond game is going to be the next Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and instead you get Call Of Duty: James Bond edition. Its false advertising.

Don't get me wrong. The game is fun, but the dream of this IP being treated with care and effort is like...probably dead. Its just being used as a cash register now for all its worth.

How dare we have fun in game.

As for our "skill" and lack of play time, all I can say is that making a game and maintaining it doesn't mean we're the experts in game play. We play and enjoy ourselves, but we're not the best players out there, and that's ok. 

And I think that saying our game is not a faithful recreation of the F13 Franchise is absurd. You may not like the fact that we shared a few laughs while playing, but that doesn't mean the game was not created with care for the franchise we all love so much. Street Fighter? C'mon. That's absurd.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, malloymk said:

The game on Switch will have a system in place to allow you to use unlocked content offline. You'll have access to your unlocked stuff offline, but items earned offline will not then transfer up to the online save. This is to eliminate potential issues there. So the online save is always the authority, but unlocks can then be used in offline mode.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mattshotcha said:

The game on Switch will have a system in place to allow you to use unlocked content offline. You'll have access to your unlocked stuff offline, but items earned offline will not then transfer up to the online save. This is to eliminate potential issues there. So the online save is always the authority, but unlocks can then be used in offline mode.

Will this be making its way to other platforms?

PS. I agree that is an absurd comparison, and the game can be fun/funny with the right group too.

PPS. I hate to be that guy because I agree you don’t need to be an expert player to build, make or enjoy a well crafted game, but someone in the team should be. Specifically on your team of community people, if you ever expand your department, an expert who hangs out here (and elsewhere) and knows the game will save you a ton of time. I can even begin to imagine how much of a benefit it would be to you. They don’t even have to be great, just good enough to see what’s going on in the game and community, then pass it along and also explain the nuances that aren’t visible from a developer desk.

1 hour ago, mattshotcha said:

How dare we have fun in game.

As for our "skill" and lack of play time, all I can say is that making a game and maintaining it doesn't mean we're the experts in game play. We play and enjoy ourselves, but we're not the best players out there, and that's ok. 

And I think that saying our game is not a faithful recreation of the F13 Franchise is absurd. You may not like the fact that we shared a few laughs while playing, but that doesn't mean the game was not created with care for the franchise we all love so much. Street Fighter? C'mon. That's absurd.

Spare us the feigned upset. As always, you didn’t address the major points in a valid post. And yes, the developers of a game SHOULD and need to be the best and the foremost experts on the gameplay... of their game. This is a top down issue Gun has always had, passing the buck to be someone else’s responsibility. Not everything falls on a handful of testers or the small group of guys coding. 

How are you going to be on a developing team yet not find or MAKE TIME to be the absolute expert on the game? That’s lazy and pathetic. That’s what happens when the hunger is no longer there because you have all been eating too good on our dime for 2 years now. 

As many have said before, the lack of testing and simply playing this game from the developer side is why so many bugs have gone unnoticed and just completed proliferated through the game. It’s not up to US ago find and report bugs as if your team even looks at the videos we post with zero views on a YouTube.

Gun is out of touch with a game it represents and published which speaks to the consistent lack of professionalism. This from a company that used $800k to finance a game they proudly bragged about being one of the most downloaded games of 2017 yet claimed they didn’t have the money for a proper team. Oh ok.

Furthermore, do you actually care to comment on the loss of immersion and Gun’s inconsistency with the way it presents the IP? Is Friday the 13th: The Game an M-rated faithful recreation of the cinematic experience of the franchise or is it a party game for children to run around in bunny costumes hitting Jason with wrenches and dancing? The 11th hour knee-jerk rage buff is not helping.

Is Friday the 13th: The Game a faithful adaptation of a slasher franchise into nonlinear survival horror game or not? That’s the question. Just because the maps went through an arduous process to have every detail of the films present doesn’t discount the fact that the atmosphere quickly became abysmal shortly after launch. So what was all that work for just to have non-canon counselors running around mixed with  look-allies and some actual characters?

Fans love the game counselors but let’s not act like there was some inconceivable care out into them. There are multiple inconsistencies with this game supposedly being the 2nd act of a calm: Jason attacks the counselors at a camp in the start of the match yet he shows back up at his shack? The counselors see him kill someone at the beginning of the match yet are shocked at each new dead body they find? Tommy from Part 6 is running around with a new counselor created for the game who is using the sweater from Part 2 on Jason from Part 4? This is just lazy and indicative of developers that never refined their game.

The public perception of Gun is a company that took the money and RAN. Whether that’s true or not, that’s your legacy. If you’re in a business selling goods and services that perception matters. The lawsuit happened, ok. The promise then was to focus exclusively on performance and bug fixes yet the game is filled to the brim with NEW bugs every update. It’s embarrassing. 

If there is no new content and all work is spent on performance and bug fixes, how is the game in the state it’s in? If you want to give up and pull the plug then do it but don’t rebuke the lack of developer engagement as the OP addressed. The backers, fans, and players alike have come and gone due to a complete distrust and you get on here bickering with us over tone, definitions, and semantics? Ok. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

Spare us the feigned upset. As always, you didn’t address the major points in a valid post. And yes, the developers of a game SHOULD and need to be the best and the foremost experts on the gameplay... of their game. This is a top down issue Gun has always had, passing the buck to be someone else’s responsibility. Not everything falls on a handful of testers or the small group of guys coding. 

How are you going to be on a developing team yet not find or MAKE TIME to be the absolute expert on the game? That’s lazy and pathetic. That’s what happens when the hunger is no longer there because you have all been eating too good on our dime for 2 years now. 

As many have said before, the lack of testing and simply playing this game from the developer side is why so many bugs have gone unnoticed and just completed proliferated through the game. It’s not up to US ago find and report bugs as if your team even looks at the videos we post with zero views on a YouTube.

Gun is out of touch with a game it represents and published which speaks to the consistent lack of professionalism. This from a company that used $800k to finance a game they proudly bragged about being one of the most downloaded games of 2017 yet claimed they didn’t have the money for a proper team. Oh ok.

Furthermore, do you actually care to comment on the loss of immersion and Gun’s inconsistency with the way it presents the IP? Is Friday the 13th: The Game an M-rated faithful recreation of the cinematic experience of the franchise or is it a party game for children to run around in bunny costumes hitting Jason with wrenches and dancing? The 11th hour knee-jerk rage buff is not helping.

Is Friday the 13th: The Game a faithful adaptation of a slasher franchise into nonlinear survival horror game or not? That’s the question. Just because the maps went through an arduous process to have every detail of the films present doesn’t discount the fact that the atmosphere quickly became abysmal shortly after launch. So what was all that work for just to have non-canon counselors running around mixed with  look-allies and some actual characters?

Fans love the game counselors but let’s not act like there was some inconceivable care out into them. There are multiple inconsistencies with this game supposedly being the 2nd act of a calm: Jason attacks the counselors at a camp in the start of the match yet he shows back up at his shack? The counselors see him kill someone at the beginning of the match yet are shocked at each new dead body they find? Tommy from Part 6 is running around with a new counselor created for the game who is using the sweater from Part 2 on Jason from Part 4? This is just lazy and indicative of developers that never refined their game.

The public perception of Gun is a company that took the money and RAN. Whether that’s true or not, that’s your legacy. If you’re in a business selling goods and services that perception matters. The lawsuit happened, ok. The promise then was to focus exclusively on performance and bug fixes yet the game is filled to the brim with NEW bugs every update. It’s embarrassing. 

If there is no new content and all work is spent on performance and bug fixes, how is the game in the state it’s in? If you want to give up and pull the plug then do it but don’t rebuke the lack of developer engagement as the OP addressed. The backers, fans, and players alike have come and gone due to a complete distrust and you get on here bickering with us over tone, definitions, and semantics? Ok. 

So you think the team behind Battlefield, or Call of Duty, or Apex, or Fortnite, or any other modern popular multiplayer game are the top players of that game? C'mon now.

As for how you're going to be on a team and not find or make time to play as many hours of the game as our top players being "lazy and pathetic" that's so incredibly shortsighted it's unreal. I spend somewhere in the range of 60-75 hours a week just reading and reporting on the community side of things as well as the other core functions of my job here at Gun, as well as maintaining a home life with my wife and 3 year old daughter. Between those things, I don't have the same amount of time to commit to ALL games as some of the top tier players have committed to JUST F13.

NONE of that, however, is an indication of a "lack of testing" as we have a dedicated test partner whose core function of THEIR job IS testing. And on top of that, we've adjusted our build check processes to add an extra layer of redundancy to verify builds. This is part of how we were able to diagnose a few related, but unreported issues with similar slingshot methods like the bear trap one. The team is working through them as we find them as well. 

As for the reports and videos, I share an office space with the folks who review those reports and can tell you that do view them, document them, and follow up on them. In all of the gaming industry, there are reporting options for players. This isn't unique to Gun because we're "lazy and pathetic" it's all studios that have support sites. It's ludicrous to think that because we have a site with options for the player base to report things they uncover in game that we are passing the buck off to players. EVERY SINGLE STUDIO will tell you that the community will always inevitably find something that the team missed in game, a bug or break not found by testing.

As for bunny suits and emotes, yes. It's a liberty taken. Put those on one side of the scale and all the 1:1 elements from the franchise on the other.

And no, the counselors aren't from the films. Only using counselors we could secure likeness rights to would drastically limit the amount of counselors we could have in game. Calling liberties taken to actually create gameplay elements and calling them lazy is again short sighted. A game needs gameplay mechanics, and that means having to go off script in some places. 

And lastly, "took the money and ran"? Are there not still dedicated servers? Am I not still here answering you on a forum? Are we not still working on the game? You can argue and question the details like patch issues and frequency, but the word itself "ran" indicates abandoned. That's an entirely false narrative.

You might see this as bickering, but I don't. Still, I find it odd that you argue that we've abandoned the game, then get upset when I reply to provide the developers side of things. If this type of communication is not acceptable for you, then I would ask that you keep the comments to something constructive and rooted in facts. No conspiracies, assumptions, speculations, or unfounded opinions. Then we can have a dialogue free of all differing opinions and work only off of facts. Comparing Friday the 13th: The Game to Street Fighter was honest and reasonable criticism that I should have addressed differently? Or was it acting as if we have brought shame to the franchise by having a few laughs while playing?

What I see is a team working their best within the confines we find ourselves in to still try and hold up this title, despite the strict cease of all new content. I also think that if you think about it for a minute, you'll see that there are not a lot of studios that would do this without the potential for a revenue stream generated by new content. We're past the one year mark since our End of Content post went up on these forums. Now I don't expect high fives, but I think the fact that these forums even still exist is evidence to the contrary of the "take the money and run" narrative. Are we working with a much smaller team than we would if we had the content plans still rolling along, I don't know. I can say it's what we can do. And we're still here, doing our best with it. There are people in this community that see that. And I'm going to continue posting here and trying to help as best I can, for them. I'm also going to continue to reply to the false narratives and misinformation because that is literally not helping anyone.

If our live stream upset you that badly, I'm not sure what to say. We're going to keep having fun in game, bunny suit and all.

I'll be doing the Poppin' Robot on Switch in August. Hope to see you in camp.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

So you think the team behind Battlefield, or Call of Duty, or Apex, or Fortnite, or any other modern popular multiplayer game are the top players of that game? C'mon now.

As for how you're going to be on a team and not find or make time to play as many hours of the game as our top players being "lazy and pathetic" that's so incredibly shortsighted it's unreal. I spend somewhere in the range of 60-75 hours a week just reading and reporting on the community side of things as well as the other core functions of my job here at Gun, as well as maintaining a home life with my wife and 3 year old daughter. Between those things, I don't have the same amount of time to commit to ALL games as some of the top tier players have committed to JUST F13.

NONE of that, however, is an indication of a "lack of testing" as we have a dedicated test partner whose core function of THEIR job IS testing. And on top of that, we've adjusted our build check processes to add an extra layer of redundancy to verify builds. This is part of how we were able to diagnose a few related, but unreported issues with similar slingshot methods like the bear trap one. The team is working through them as we find them as well. 

As for the reports and videos, I share an office space with the folks who review those reports and can tell you that do view them, document them, and follow up on them. In all of the gaming industry, there are reporting options for players. This isn't unique to Gun because we're "lazy and pathetic" it's all studios that have support sites. It's ludicrous to think that because we have a site with options for the player base to report things they uncover in game that we are passing the buck off to players. EVERY SINGLE STUDIO will tell you that the community will always inevitably find something that the team missed in game, a bug or break not found by testing.

As for bunny suits and emotes, yes. It's a liberty taken. Put those on one side of the scale and all the 1:1 elements from the franchise on the other.

And no, the counselors aren't from the films. Only using counselors we could secure likeness rights to would drastically limit the amount of counselors we could have in game. Calling liberties taken to actually create gameplay elements and calling them lazy is again short sighted. A game needs gameplay mechanics, and that means having to go off script in some places. 

And lastly, "took the money and ran"? Are there not still dedicated servers? Am I not still here answering you on a forum? Are we not still working on the game? You can argue and question the details like patch issues and frequency, but the word itself "ran" indicates abandoned. That's an entirely false narrative.

You might see this as bickering, but I don't. Still, I find it odd that you argue that we've abandoned the game, then get upset when I reply to provide the developers side of things. If this type of communication is not acceptable for you, then I would ask that you keep the comments to something constructive and rooted in facts. No conspiracies, assumptions, speculations, or unfounded opinions. Then we can have a dialogue free of all differing opinions and work only off of facts. Comparing Friday the 13th: The Game to Street Fighter was honest and reasonable criticism that I should have addressed differently? Or was it acting as if we have brought shame to the franchise by having a few laughs while playing?

What I see is a team working their best within the confines we find ourselves in to still try and hold up this title, despite the strict cease of all new content. I also think that if you think about it for a minute, you'll see that there are not a lot of studios that would do this without the potential for a revenue stream generated by new content. We're past the one year mark since our End of Content post went up on these forums. Now I don't expect high fives, but I think the fact that these forums even still exist is evidence to the contrary of the "take the money and run" narrative. Are we working with a much smaller team than we would if we had the content plans still rolling along, I don't know. I can say it's what we can do. And we're still here, doing our best with it. There are people in this community that see that. And I'm going to continue posting here and trying to help as best I can, for them. I'm also going to continue to reply to the false narratives and misinformation because that is literally not helping anyone.

If our live stream upset you that badly, I'm not sure what to say. We're going to keep having fun in game, bunny suit and all.

I'll be doing the Poppin' Robot on Switch in August. Hope to see you in camp.

giphy.gif

Yes, it’s a huge backer and fan conspiracy to hold Gun accountable for its product. I appreciate the sentiment and quick apologist back pedaling that you’re good at, but nothing you say really matters. It’s great that you get on here, but time and again there has been a noticeable issue with accountability and transparency at Gun. Once you lose backer/fan/customer trust people just don’t believe you. It’s one of the reasons so many backers left this forum and are no longer around engaging with the game, its content, or community.

Also, “facts” are created and mitigated by those who have power to control them. There are no universal truths as all knowledge is created by and shared through human interaction. I don’t hold two Ph.Ds, one in sociology, for nothing so don’t try to school me on “dialogue” that is “based only off facts.” You are unqualified to give an opinion on that. So you can feel that you are in the right based on your experience and the facts as you believe them to be, and others can also feel that you are just spinning any criticism as a conspiracy to spread misinformation. And that’s that on that.

• Confused 1

On 6/21/2019 at 1:04 PM, Slasher_Clone said:

I’m honestly tempted to buy a switch to play it on, not sure if I will as other things are shinier but after watching Matt’s stream I’m looking into it. Maybe other titles will convince me now that I’ve seen Friday on it.

The Switch is a great investment, for more than just this game. Depending on your taste in games, you may find a few other gems you enjoy. In addition, there are a lot of good games for children, so your little one may enjoy it just as well.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, gtdjlocker311 said:

The Switch is a great system.

I wholeheartedly agree.

15 hours ago, Redcat345 said:

Because it means they would be forced to admit when the end of the game would be.

That's a dismal way to look at it, but you make a good point.

10 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

It's rare that the makers of a game remain the best at said game. Most of the time, the player base will outdo them, simply because they have the time to do so. The game's makers are and should be focused on fixing problems as they arise, as well as promoting and supporting their game. If they are able to play and understand the frustrations of the player base, then it makes things a lot better in the long run.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:37 PM, tyrant666 said:

What you see is what you see. There's no need to apologize for your perspective.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:48 PM, Brogan322 said:

Why would I buy it on Switch if it's still bugged on the current platform I play it on? 😕

Buy the Switch for any of the other awesome games out there.

9 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

PPS. I hate to be that guy because I agree you don’t need to be an expert player to build, make or enjoy a well crafted game, but someone in the team should be.

If they ever consider hiring a person whose sole purpose is to play this game and give feedback on what they find, you can imagine a massive number of resumes being sent to them for this. If it would help to find these bugs faster, I'd say go for it.

• Like 2

In terms of the recent back and forth.

I wouldn't put the blame on Matt, Shifty or any prior community spokesperson. They are told to tell us what they're told to tell us. They're middlemen, they don't deserve the direct insult and backlash.

The man responsible is the man with the facial hair to make the game better.

8 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

In terms of the recent back and forth.

I wouldn't put the blame on Matt, Shifty or any prior community spokesperson. They are told to tell us what they're told to tell us. They're middlemen, they don't deserve the direct insult and backlash.

The man responsible is the man with the facial hair to make the game better.

This sums it up in a nutshell.

• Like 1