Sign in to follow this  
JupiterBttch

Friday The 13th legal battles continue to stall the franchise

22 minutes ago, DontZzz34 said:

Yes but things would progress much faster if they made our game a priority. It’s a shame they don’t.......

We don’t know that, we only know they don’t make communication a priority. (Jk) 😝 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DontZzz34 said:

I think GUN is mainly getting hate due to the fact they don’t take priority in fixing the game for us.

I know it can seem that way.....Especially when in the process of Fixing other things break.....it is understandable to feel this way....keep in mind I highly doubt the developers enjoy being roasted on Twitter or the Forums about the same bugs over and over again.....I am sure they want the same things we do a bug free gaming experience......they are relying on the Black tower just as much as we are.... 

I mean it’s pretty ridiculous they got $ handed over to them to make the game

That money went to funding and development of the game paying employees and developers/motion capture/ stunt people/ actors / voice actors/music composer/ special kill effects designer /promotional items /physical copies/severs etc....the game was a success...yes but make no mistake all of those things cost money to maintain or create. 

they can’t even put in more effort to fix the game for us. I think we deserve a bug free game don’t you think? The real question is, are we ever going to have a bug free Friday the 13th game?

Remember appearances can be deceiving......you are making assumptions about the effort of the work being done without all the variables....

ask yourself these questions...

Don’t you think Gun wants the same thing?

Answer...Yes They want the game running as smoothly as we do....

Do you know what the developers at Black tower are doing or are having to deal with with Illfonic code for the game? 

Answer... No unfortunately none of us do so making assumptions about the work that is going on is all we can do.

Do you know what size crew they have working on this game ?

Answer....No they have said they have a team working on Bug fixes we don’t know what size that is we can only assume it is small as they must keep costs down to keep the game in the green and profitable especially to keep servers going for this game as well.

I believe they are putting in the effort and trying their best....it’s just not an easy transition as we all hoped for and is apparently going to take longer than we all expected or want.......

• Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 8:26 PM, Slasher_Clone said:

TTT...

Things Take Time.  

Yes, but that time is supposed to be put into the product before it is sold to consumers. 

If you went to see a movie opening night, but the SFX were unfinished and the producers promised that it would be fixed later, there'd be riots. If you bought a car, and it didn't run properly, and the automakers promised they would finish it later, they'd be sued out of business. 

Why do people give so much deference to game developers? It's the only product I am aware of where people are okay with it being a defective product at the point of purchase, with the "promise" that what should have been a polished product off the shelf might be finished later. Maybe even years after it is purchased.

Have we become so conditioned to the state of "Early Access" and unfinished games that we, the consumer base, are okay with being handed a half cooked meal? 

I'm not dumping on Friday the 13th here. It's hardly the first, or the most unfinished "finished" game. And I certainly can't blame the studios. If the consumers are willing to accept unfinished garbage for their hard earned money, then they don't really have any incentive to deliver working products. 

Again, this is not a personal attack against apologists, the developers of this game, or even this game necessarily. But the normalization of accepting an unfinished product and being okay with it because "it will be finished later" just seems ridiculous to me. Particularly once you add in the anti-consumer practice of not offering refunds, as we saw recently with the Fallout 76 dumpster fire. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quinn FTW said:

Yes, but that time is supposed to be put into the product before it is sold to consumers. 

If you went to see a movie opening night, but the SFX were unfinished and the producers promised that it would be fixed later, there'd be riots. If you bought a car, and it didn't run properly, and the automakers promised they would finish it later, they'd be sued out of business. 

Why do people give so much deference to game developers? It's the only product I am aware of where people are okay with it being a defective product at the point of purchase, with the "promise" that what should have been a polished product off the shelf might be finished later. Maybe even years after it is purchased.

Have we become so conditioned to the state of "Early Access" and unfinished games that we, the consumer base, are okay with being handed a half cooked meal? 

I'm not dumping on Friday the 13th here. It's hardly the first, or the most "unfinished" finished game. And I certainly can't blame the studios. If the consumers are willing to accept unfinished garbage for their hard earned money, then they don't really have any incentive to deliver working products. 

Again, this is not a personal attack against apologists, the developers of this game, or even this game necessarily. But the normalization of accepting an unfinished product and being okay with it because "it will be finished later" just seems ridiculous to me. Particularly once you add in the anti-consumer practice of not offering refunds, as we saw recently with the Fallout 76 dumpster fire. 

I think the standards have changed. In the golden age of gaming (aka the good old days), games weren't rushed out the door like they are now. While games had bugs even back then, they weren't nearly as bad as they are today. We live in a time now where people want instant satisfaction yesterday.

I do agree that settling for a rushed and unfinished product isn't a very good dynamic. I'd rather a product come out late and close to perfect, than to have it on the date it was promised.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Quinn FTW said:

I'm not dumping on Friday the 13th here.

I’d just like to point out that comparison between Triple A game studios and a kickstarter are a bit unfair, this game was always going to have a lifetime of scheduled improvements and fixes.

Outside of how this is relevant to Gun, I’m not interested in debating the merits of the old way games were produced vs how they are now, as consumers we vote with our money and the new way is how things are now. The relatively short life of most games ie. hours of play vs cost of making them also plays a factor. Games that update and are finished live can attract new players and keep being played daily for years. DLC exists, so do battle passes and other ways to bilk money from people ie. loot boxes and improve that bottom line of the game company unless this changes why would they. Gun isn’t responsible for the state of the market or industry.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, Slasher_Clone said:

Outside of how this is relevant to Gun, I’m not interested in debating the merits of the old way games were produced vs how they are now, 

Fair point. I would argue that the expectation that a studio be given a pass on an unfinished product is not dependent upon the size of said studio. If it's not a finished product, do not market it as such. Smaller businesses do not get a "get out of being held to a reasonable standard" card just because they are smaller. If one is going to complain about Fallout 76 being an unfinished buggy mess, or Anthem, or or any other large studio game, the likes of this game, or a No Man's Sky shouldn't get a pass just because the size differential. Which is not to say a game has to be perfect at launch. Even great games have required Day One or Week One patches. That's the reality of age of technology. But, if two years into a game, it's still fundamentally a half baked, broken mess, then it should have never been brought to market in the first. (Hypothetically speaking, of course, not specifically *this* game.) The difference in expectations should not be on the quality of the product (functionally speaking), but rather on the scope. To expect something on par with the Witcher III would have been an unreasonable expectation. 

On the other hand, I have to applaud the studio if, for nothing else, for the lack of loot boxes. Or for pay to win MTX. I liked the idea of the costume packs. I liked that they had kill packs. I would not have minded if the costume packs were a bit more pricey. That was a lot of design work for such a small fee. I wish they'd been able to make more weapons (with kill packs). There were ways this game could have been monetized without coming across as grubby. But I guess that's where the lawsuit fits in (assuming you take them at their word, and don't buy in to the popular theory that it was just an excuse for them to cut their losses and move on.) 

So, sure, temper your expectations in terms of scope/scale of games from smaller studios. But never compromise on functionality. 

@OCT 31 1978 All everyone wants is a bug free Friday the 13th game. GUN will continue to get a lot of heat if they don’t start making more progress with fixing the game. Otherwise, the player base will continue to be pissed with them and either keep playing bc they love the game or will get frustrated and leave the game. Some players do quit playing bc of the bugs. If we want to keep a good player base for awhile, GUN and Black Tower need to fix the game as close to 100% bug free as they can to make everyone happy. We can’t afford to lose players over stupid bugs/glitches. Also, players shouldn’t have to beg a company to fix the game they made and are in control of. Why do you think people are ranting over forums and social media about them? Because people get frustrated with the bugs/glitches, beg for them to be fixed, and with all that, not much progress has been made. Combine all that together=pissed off players. 

I brought up Kickstarter money because they got paid by part of the player base to start this game. They need to return the favor and hold up their end of the stick. They could at least make more of an attempt to communicate more often and come out with more frequent patches. I don’t think anyone can deny that. 

I’m not making assumptions on their work. I’m going based off cold hard evidence of shit I experience in the game and their way of handling the games’ problems. Especially when they come out with a patch, it’s pretty clear they can’t even put in enough time to test the patch to make sure all is good. If they can’t even put in enough time to test patches , what’s that say about everything else they’re doing for fixing the game? Testing the patch should be the easiest part....... This is rock solid evidence of their quality of work, time, and focus on the game. GUN and black tower should be able to make more progress then they have with fixing the game. There’s no excuse to not have another patch out stat fixing the environmental kills they brought in the game with the most recent patch. That should’ve just been in the hot fix tbh...... the environmental kills not working is really frustrating. 

All in all, I hope GUN and black tower get this game fixed to be at least 98% bug free. I’m a die hard friday the 13th fan and I care about the future of the game. The future of Friday the 13th the game is in GUN/Black Towers hands. It’s the only part of the franchise that’s currently alive. Treat it good, GUN and Black Tower. 

10 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

We don’t know that, we only know they don’t make communication a priority. (Jk) 😝 

Lol true that though, they barely communicate here especially..

On 6/4/2019 at 7:21 AM, DontZzz34 said:

@OCT 31 1978 All everyone wants is a bug free Friday the 13th game. GUN will continue to get a lot of heat if they don’t start making more progress with fixing the game.

They have been getting heat since the game dropped.....telling them that they need to focus on prioritizing the bug fixes, or complaining about what is and isn’t fixed.....will not, and I repeat will not get them to fix it any faster.....or better it’s unfortunately the only way they operate ........this slow pace is how it’s been since day one...... we have to accept the pace that they are able to provide.....people can’t that will only add to their frustrations......I wish this wasn’t the case but it is because we have no control over what gets worked on or what we think  the priority fixes should be ..... the only thing we can control is our expectations.

we all play the game because we love it and continue coming back because it is fun to play..... the Bugs will hamper that of course and some players will leave.... that will be their decision.......

I know making the game bug free will definitely make the player base happier....I know I would be ecstatic!

But even a perfectly bug free game will not stop some players from leaving.....  

Some players do quit playing bc of the bugs. If we want to keep a good player base for awhile, GUN and Black Tower need to fix the game as close to 100% bug free as they can to make everyone happy. We can’t afford to lose players over stupid bugs/glitches.

I don’t disagree with you....the only thing I am saying is don’t expect them to accomplish these things in the time frame that you believe it should be done in........you will be continually disappointed.

I say this not to be negative or condescending to you in anyway I am being realistic based on how every patch since release has gone....

Also, players shouldn’t have to beg a company to fix the game they made and are in control of.

No one is asking anyone to beg the developers to fix the game.......

Why do you think people are ranting over forums and social media about them?

Because of their own expectations.....

Because people get frustrated with the bugs/glitches, beg for them to be fixed, and with all that, not much progress has been made. Combine all that together=pissed off players. 

I once again don’t disagree with you....but again the pissed off players are the only ones who can control their own expectations.......

I brought up Kickstarter money because they got paid by part of the player base to start this game. They need to return the favor and hold up their end of the stick.

That money was all accounted for in the development of the game.

They have said they plan on supporting the game with bug fixes and Balancing all they need to do is finally push them out.

They could at least make more of an attempt to communicate more often and come out with more frequent patches. I don’t think anyone can deny that. 

No one can or will deny that buddy it is what we all want.😀

I’m not making assumptions on their work. I’m going based off cold hard evidence of shit I experience in the game and their way of handling the games’ problems.

Yes, you are....We all are because that’s all we can do....we have no idea what the developers are dealing with or having to deal with...... like I said looks can be deceiving issues with the patches does not specifically mean they aren’t putting in the effort or prioritizing fixes or that they aren’t testing them as well......

When testing is done some things can be missed especially if they a doing testing within closed Private builds of the game....sometimes with games like this the player base will be the real testers...

Some fixes are easier than others and some fixes introduce new code that can unravel other gameplay and create new issues .....so far what I have seen since launch is content adjustments are not easy....

There’s no excuse to not have another patch out stat fixing the environmental kills they brought in the game with the most recent patch. That should’ve just been in the hot fix tbh...... the environmental kills not working is really frustrating. 

I also agree....it is frustrating....them focusing on just the Roof glitch is them finally prioritizing one issue over any other....hopefully the environmental kill issues are an easy fix as well after the Roof hot fix and we get another ASAP.

All in all, I hope GUN and black tower get this game fixed to be at least 98% bug free. I’m a die hard friday the 13th fan and I care about the future of the game. The future of Friday the 13th the game is in GUN/Black Towers hands. It’s the only part of the franchise that’s currently alive. Treat it good, GUN and Black Tower. 

👍🏻

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

They have been getting heat since the game dropped.....telling them that they need to focus on prioritizing the bug fixes, or complaining about what is and isn’t fixed.....will not, and I repeat will not get them to fix it any faster.....or better it’s unfortunately the only way they operate ........this slow pace is how it’s been since day one...... we have to accept the pace that they are able to provide.....if people can’t that will only add to frustrations......I wish this wasn’t the case but it is because we have no control over what gets worked on or what we think  the priority fixes should be ..... the only thing we can control are our expectations.

we all play the game because we love it and continue coming back because it is fun to play..... the Bugs will hamper that of course and some players will leave.... that will be their decision.......

I know making the game bug free will definitely make the player base happier....

But even a perfectly bug free game will not stop some players from leaving.....  

I don’t disagree with you....the only thing I am saying is don’t expect them to accomplish these things in the time frame that you believe it should be done in you will be continually be disappointed.

I say this not to be negative or condescending to you in anyway I am being realistic based on how every patch since release has gone....

No one is asking anyone to beg the developers to fix the game.......

Because of expectations.....

I once again don’t disagree with you....but only the pissed off players can control their own expectations.......

That money was all accounted for in the development of the game.

They have said they plan on supporting the game with bug fixes and Balancing all they need to do is finally push them out.

No one can or will deny that buddy it is what we all want.😀

Yes, you are....We all are because that’s all we can do....we have no idea what the developers are dealing with or having to deal with...... like I said looks can be deceiving issues with the patches does not specifically mean they aren’t putting in the effort or prioritizing fixes or that they aren’t testing as well......

When testing is done some things can be missed especially if they a doing testing within closed Private build of the game....sometimes with games like this the player base will be the real testers...

While Some fixes are harder than others and introducing new code can unravel other gameplay performances.....so far what I have seen since launch is content adjustments are not easy....

I also agree....it is frustrating....them focusing on just the Roof glitch is them finally prioritizing one issue over any other....hopefully the environmental kill issues are an easy fix as well after Roof hot fix and we get another ASAP.

👍🏻

Alright I hear you man. I had a good discussion with you. Thanks for talking it out with me. 

• Like 2

Illfonic DESERVES to have their ass roasted for all the bugs, glitches, lack of play-testing, etc.... I don't think anyone denies that. The rampant glitching and cheating has always been, and is still, a serious issue, but I understand they have a small team and a small budget. If it were in any way possible, I would volunteer to ban the cheaters/glitchers personally. No payment or compensation needed, I'd go through all the "evidence" videos by myself completely free of charge, the only catch being that the people found to be cheating get swiftly banned ("swiftly" doesn't mean "soon", it means, "within 72 hours").

I absolutely love the game and the franchise.Regardless of the lawsuit results, this game would have slowed by now even with new content. People get tired of things w/ online play unless its a R* title with major funding. I feel at this point it would have fizzeled out anyway. No matter what happens we have offline play, and the single player challenges which is what was most important to me as a backer. so 10 years from now I can find my ps4 in a box in the closet, hook it up and play Friday the 13th for a hit of nostalgia. I thouroughly enjoy it but dont play it all that much anymore. It was well done, it was a game I have dreamed about since 5th grade, and Im glad it came to fruition. "Make peace with your now moment. Live in this very moment and be happy with what you have."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SouthernMan said:

I absolutely love the game and the franchise.Regardless of the lawsuit results, this game would have slowed by now even with new content. People get tired of things w/ online play unless its a R* title with major funding. I feel at this point it would have fizzeled out anyway. No matter what happens we have offline play, and the single player challenges which is what was most important to me as a backer. so 10 years from now I can find my ps4 in a box in the closet, hook it up and play Friday the 13th for a hit of nostalgia. I thouroughly enjoy it but dont play it all that much anymore. It was well done, it was a game I have dreamed about since 5th grade, and Im glad it came to fruition. "Make peace with your now moment. Live in this very moment and be happy with what you have."

Well said.

All games come to an end eventually. Everyone will have to make their peace with it, even if they don't want to.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:28 PM, Fair Play said:

I think the standards have changed. In the golden age of gaming (aka the good old days), games weren't rushed out the door like they are now.

They weren't?

Go play any LJN NES game and then come back and say that again.

Start with The Uncanny X-Men. 

Honestly, F13 NES version is probably the best LJN made game ever. 

2 hours ago, SirMang said:

They weren't?

Start with The Uncanny X-Men. 

Honestly, F13 NES version is probably the best LJN made game ever. 

LJN games may not be viewed as the best, but I have fond memories of a number of them, including F13. It wasn't my number one done by them, but it was in the top five.

My stance is still the same. Classic video games did not have nearly the mountain of issues certain games released now currently have.

20 hours ago, SirMang said:

Say what you will about LJN NES games; difficult, tough to figure out, etc. But, Friday the 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Jaws, Back to the Future, and Karate Kid all worked right out of the box. Granted the hardware was easier to develop for in those days, but devs knew they needed to have their sh*t together when they declared a game finished. Now days, they seem to use the internet as an excuse to release a game while it's still beta-level, knowing they can push updates out to (hopefully) fix things as they're cashing in. It's a crap way to do business that only ends up inconveniencing the consumer. I'd love to see some kind of software commission for video games. A governing body of sorts that have the power to hold companies accountable for putting out unfinished products and penalizing them. Probably would never happen, but it'd sure be nice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

Say what you will about LJN NES games; difficult, tough to figure out, etc. But, Friday the 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Jaws, Back to the Future, and Karate Kid all worked right out of the box. Granted the hardware was easier to develop for in those days, but devs knew they needed to have their sh*t together when they declared a game finished. Now days, they seem to use the internet as an excuse to release a game while it's still beta-level, knowing they can push updates out to (hopefully) fix things as they're cashing in. It's a crap way to do business that only ends up inconveniencing the consumer. I'd love to see some kind of software commission for video games. A governing body of sorts that have the power to hold companies accountable for putting out unfinished products and penalizing them. Probably would never happen, but it'd sure be nice.

LJN's titles really put you to the test as a gamer. As frustrating as some of those games were, they really put you to the test. Back then, if you could survive those games, you could survive almost anything. Coincidentally, Jaws was one of my first NES games. I have a lot of fond memories of that game.

• Like 1