Sign in to follow this  
tyrant666

What Was The Purpose Of The Small Maps?

What was the reason you think they decided to add in shrunk down versions of the existing launch maps?

The alleged reasons we were given at the time that I remember.

- Playerbase complaining about match times being too long (even though with all the dicking off now on these maps...did this actually change anything?)

- Playerbase complained it was too hard to find items (remember this was pre item discovery on maps update when players dropped items and they would appear on the map)

- It was a 'we are sorry' for their horrible launch issues along with the free skin pack and the NES Jason (which never got reworked with music both sides can hear despite being said to be in early/mid 2017) so because they couldn't give us new maps, they just took out the boat, changed up a couple car spawns, removed most of the water and called it a day...thus negating water play entirely.

I feel like these maps have been nothing but cancer for the game. They are pretty much a guarantee on overseas servers and if you wanna play anything else, they just hop from lobby to lobby until you do with the other 300 players, sometimes its just as bad on US servers. Even though you can pretty much glitch and ruin the games on other maps. I feel like these maps are just a breeding ground for this sort of thing and they represent everything that is wrong is with the game, on top of catering to the casual part of the playerbase that complained the game was too difficult back in mid 2017. They never bothered to think about rebalancing the maps based on size, item density, Jason being shackled early and mid game, also late with the shack spawns much easier and closer.

I feel like the time would've been better spent on adding more variety and polish to the launch and DLC maps.

- More Phone Spawns

- More Cabin RNG

- More Car locations

- The possibility of two boats and a car and other new combinations, etc

- More Jarvis Radio spawns

- More Jason shack spawns

- Hell even the assets for Grendel with hindsight what it is...another false hype

So what do you think? Why were these maps added? For the reasons I mentioned? Others?

• Like 2

*enters lobby*

PACKANACK SMALL PLS PLS PACKANACK PACKANACK PACKANACK SMALL PACKANACK SMALL

AKA the EU Servers experience.

I agree with everything you said by the way, I do not like the small maps at all actually. Unfortunately if I want to play I HAVE to play on small maps because I am from Europe and glitchers/cheaters/griefers (aka 70% of the local playerbase) have a hard on for them.

• Like 1

I appreciate the small maps because I think it's fun having everyone clustered together honestly. Seems more chaotic that way which I like. Luckily since coming back to the game I haven't had to play packanack small at all. That being said I also haven't been thrown into the EU servers to that's probably why.

There isn’t anything wrong with small maps. It’s nice to change it up from large maps

2 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

There isn’t anything wrong with small maps. It’s nice to change it up from large maps

There is one thing wrong on them, They make it easier for trolls to take over the game.

• Like 1

I love being able to actually Morph into the water as a water speed Jason on the actual launch maps and use an actual strength to its purpose. Really good for Crystal Lake, Higgins, Pinehurst and Jarvis in particular. Less so Packanack with the objectives away from the shoreline mostly and the water cut in half by the map.

Something you can't actually reliably do on the small maps.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, tyrant666 said:

What was the reason you think they decided to add in shrunk down versions of the existing launch maps?

I think it was mostly just a quick way to reuse assets and increase the number of maps in total. I honestly think they had plans to do one map for each movie and they figured that would still be to few maps to keep people playing by introducing small maps they could essentially double the number of maps the players would have access to. If this had happened we would have ended up with a rather large selection, as it is, even with the three extra small maps it feels like we don’t have that many. This isn’t necessarily the maps fault, it has more to do with the sameness of it all and repetition.

I don’t hate the small maps but I’m definitely sick of Packanack small, it get selected twice as often as any other map. Personally I think that’s a bit much and not the smartest move on the hunters part, Higgins small is a better map for it imo. You can rush at least two objectives with far less chaotic objective spawns and it’s a small detour to find out where the shack is while you’re doing them. I’d rather play on any of the big maps, so that should tell you where I rank the small ones. They just aren’t as fun and I think it comes down to how Jason isn’t balanced for them. 

The timer should be shorter on small maps, there should be an increased pressure to escape. Jason’s powers should recharge faster, if a car gets fixed on a small map and you go chasing it and miss, it’s not just gone they’re likely done another objective before you can Morph back as well. Rage should start earlier or increase more with every hit and lastly running the clock should end with a death animation. Jason Morph Grabs you and preforms a random kill from his selection or an environmental if there’s one close. 

If I had the opportunity, I’d trade all the small maps for one more unique large map. Which leads me to the idea below.

- Idea

Not sure where this falls on the content thing but they could ‘fix’ the small maps deficiencies by stitching them together into a larger map. From my understanding Crystal Lake is just across from Packanack and Higgins is just a bit above or below one or the other. If they connected the water of CL and Pack and lined up the gates to Higgins with another exit gate you could run between them. I think you could even use the first SPC to give access to a road around the end to connect CL and Pack that way too. The water would be the quickest way between them but would come with certain risk that’s missing from these maps. 

There would be lots of cool things that would happen if this was done, there would be 6 spawn points for the shack. The possibility of two fuses and/or fuse houses spawning. Maybe two CB Cabins too. It would be cool if each map got one vehicle, that way you still have a decent chance at escape. Running to the cops could end up taking a very long time if they come to the other side from the call or where you happen to be. 

Ideally they’d all be loaded as one Pinehurst sized map and not require any loading screens or other new content. 

If they can’t move the SPC maps to multiplayer (no conformation at this time), maybe they could do this instead. It would be cool if you could set a preference to load this map if any of the small maps are being played non stop. You’d earn tickets and each would increase the chance of this map loading instead of a small map. It could also just be a regular map that some people would select as well but the chance of loading onto it would be cool.

Edit - Thank you, I appreciate the support guys. 

I hope you like it Matt, sorry I keep making more work for you. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Survival said:

There is one thing wrong on them, They make it easier for trolls to take over the game.

Roof glitching? That’s not the maps fault, that’s the devs fault for not having that patched. 

4 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Idea

Not sure where this falls on the content thing but they could ‘fix’ the small maps deficiencies by stitching them together into a larger map. From my understanding Crystal Lake is just across from Packanack and Higgins is just a bit above or below one or the other. If they connected the water of CL and Pack and lined up the gates to Higgins with another exit gate you could run between them. I think you could even use the first SPC to give access to a road around the end to connect CL and Pack that way too. The water would be the quickest way between them but would come with certain risk that’s missing from these maps. 

There would be lots of cool things that would happen if this was done, there would be 6 spawn points for the shack. The possibility of two fuses and/or fuse houses spawning. Maybe two CB Cabins too. It would be cool if each map got one vehicle, that way you still have a decent chance at escape. Running to the cops could end up taking a very long time if they come to the other side from the call or were you happen to be. 

Ideally they’d all be loaded as one Pinehurst sized map and not require any loading screens or other new content. 

If they can’t move the SPC maps to multiplayer (no conformation at this time), maybe they could do this instead. It would be cool if you could set a preference to load this map if any of the small maps are being played non stop. You’d earn tickets and each would increase the chance of this map loading instead of a small map. It could also just be a regular map that some people would select as well but the chance of loading onto it would be cool.

That sounds incredible-

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I think it was mostly just a quick way to reuse assets and increase the number of maps in total. I honestly think they had plans to do one map for each movie and they figured that would still be to few maps to keep people playing by introducing small maps they could essentially double the number of maps the players would have access to. If this had happened we would have ended up with a rather large selection, as it is, even with the three extra small maps it feels like we don’t have that many. This isn’t necessarily the maps fault, it has more to do with the sameness of it all and repetition.

I don’t hate the small maps but I’m definitely sick of Packanack small, it get selected twice as often as any other map. Personally I think that’s a bit much and not the smartest move on the hunters part, Higgins small is a better map for it imo. You can rush at least two objectives with far less chaotic objective spawns and it’s a small detour to find out where the shack is while you’re doing them. I’d rather play on any of the big maps, so that should tell you where I rank the small ones. They just aren’t as fun and I think it comes down to how Jason isn’t balanced for them. 

The timer should be shorter on small maps, there should be an increased pressure to escape. Jason’s powers should recharge faster, if a car gets fixed on a small map and you go chasing it and miss, it’s not just gone they’re likely done another objective before you can Morph back as well. Rage should start earlier or increase more with every hit and lastly running the clock should end with a death animation. Jason Morph Grabs you and preforms a random kill from his selection or an environmental if there’s one close. 

If I had the opportunity, I’d trade all the small maps for one more unique large map. Which leads me to the idea below.

- Idea

There would be lots of cool things that would happen if this was done, there would be 6 spawn points for the shack. The possibility of two fuses and/or fuse houses spawning. Maybe two CB Cabins too. It would be cool if each map got one vehicle, that way you still have a decent chance at escape. Running to the cops could end up taking a very long time if they come to the other side from the call or were you happen to be. 

Another great idea !!

@mattshotcha I know you have your hands full right now but let us know what you think about this I think it’s brilliant!

• Like 1

I'd say the point was it was easy for them to make the maps smaller to give "new" content.

Way easier than designing new maps from scratch, like a Camp Forest Green or NYC or Lazarus or the Grendel.

And if you watched videos of Grendel footage, there is/was some out there, you'd see how difficult it was for their team to make maps and to appreciate maps like Pinehurst - because it's so fucking huge - that much more. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

Roof glitching? That’s not the maps fault, that’s the devs fault for not having that patched. 

Not just that.

It makes it much easier for Jason helpers to gather all the important stuff, lock it in an upper room and jump out of the window. It makes it much easier for betrayers to run over everyone and to get to the car first. It makes it much easier for (sometimes cheating and speedhacking) squads to bully Jason into oblivion because everyone starts so close to each other. Everything is in such close proximity it is very easy to abuse the system if you want to.

13 hours ago, Survival said:

Not just that.

It makes it much easier for Jason helpers to gather all the important stuff, lock it in an upper room and jump out of the window. It makes it much easier for betrayers to run over everyone and to get to the car first. It makes it much easier for (sometimes cheating and speedhacking) squads to bully Jason into oblivion because everyone starts so close to each other. Everything is in such close proximity it is very easy to abuse the system if you want to.

I mean you have a point, but the majority of my games I don’t have these issues. I have fun clean games most of the time, not all the time. 

18 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

I mean you have a point, but the majority of my games I don’t have these issues. I have fun clean games most of the time, not all the time. 

Are you playing on EU servers? Because my issues seem to be restricted mainly to the EU servers. It seems most trolls just play the game at the same time as I do.

They spent months creating the small versions of the 3 maps which took more than just a little tweaking when they should have been pumping out a Forest Green and “Camp Blood,” variations on the Crystal Lake map, less work to do so as well. They could have even done a Shepard Residence map for Part 7 alas.

As mentioned, the reason for the smaller maps was to (1) make for quicker matches in general (2) Make finding repair parts easier for counselors (3) Make Jason have to cover less.

The last one ended up benefiting counselors which should have been a no-brainer: the smaller the maps the less stamina it takes for counselors to get around. Unfortunately, the devs are not very bright.

The second option was before markers were added which also ruined the game. Repair markers were supposed to prevent item trolling and teaming via hoarding yet players found new ways to do so regardless, imagine that. So effectively the small maps were pointless and actually caused the devs to lose months of work on something that was irrelevant oops. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

They spent months creating the small versions of the 3 maps which took more than just a little tweaking when they should have been pumping out a Forest Green and “Camp Blood,” variations on the Crystal Lake map, less work to do so as well. They could have even done a Shepard Residence map for Part 7 alas.

As mentioned, the reason for the smaller maps was to (1) make for quicker matches in general (2) Make finding repair parts easier for counselors (3) Make Jason have to cover less.

The last one ended up benefiting counselors which should have been a no-brainer: the smaller the maps the less stamina it takes for counselors to get around. Unfortunately, the devs are not very bright.

The second option was before markers were added which also ruined the game. Repair markers were supposed to prevent item trolling and teaming via hoarding yet players found new ways to do so regardless, imagine that. So effectively the small maps were pointless and actually caused the devs to lose months of work on something that was irrelevant oops. 

Agreed again.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:46 AM, Survival said:

Are you playing on EU servers? Because my issues seem to be restricted mainly to the EU servers. It seems most trolls just play the game at the same time as I do.

I typically am playing on US servers. Are there more trolls on EU servers?

The small maps are "easy" mode for councilors basically. I do like them for the sake of more action on both ends, but it is just a cheap and redundant of the same 3 maps. If they were actual new maps that would have been awesome. Even generic ones would be cool

6 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

I typically am playing on US servers. Are there more trolls on EU servers?

Yes. You get Russian cheaters and trolls almost every time you get into a lobby. They do not try to hide it though, they blast 90s Russian music through their microphone or are screaming at the top of their lungs all the time. When they talk they sound about 10 years old. They leave immediately when none of them is the host and the map is set to anything but small variations of the three original maps.

The reason for the new maps was to make it more hectic. Jason is never too far off. They wanted to make the game a bit faster paced. I think they succeed at that.

I remember first playing them and seeing all the pings around me going wild. 

I think the small maps are fine, it does bring more action to the game since everything's so closed it. The issue I have with the small maps is that it makes the difficulty of the game much more easier for counsellors, whilst becoming much more difficult for Jason. All of the cars and items are in such a close proximity to one another that most/all the objectives are completed before Jason's perks have fully spawned, it's entirely unbalanced. If the lobby is full of experienced payers who have memorised all the item and objective locations, Jason does not have a chance, the car's off before he can even shift.

The solution for this is clear, I think, the spawn time for Jason's perks need to be halved, and the re-spawn time of the perks needs to be cut down by about 25%-30%.