Sign in to follow this  
DorianRo

Is there a reason why the Grab was messed with?

Evolution of the grab:

1st (during launch) the grab range / width was highly effective. You didn't want to get too close to Jason, he was a threat. Then started the complaints. Jason is op, Jason has jedi-powers, etc. Personally, I experienced these vader-grabs very rarely. Mostly these were caused by lag btw.

Then the grab got nerfed, hence Jason's t-rex arms... This was the birth of the dancing counselor-mains; trolling Jason was so easy that many didn't even want to play Jason anymore. Jason was in a very sad state, the grab range was short and there was nearly no width. Sometines you couldn't grab a counselor even if he was standing infront of you.. Absolute garbage!

And finally, after a long wait, the grab got adjusted. A little lenghth, a little width, and most were happy. Some trolls started crying right away, eventhough there was nothing op about this adjustment. Anyway this felt like an ok balance on "both sides".

And when all seamed fine, and that Jason was heading in the right direction... Behold: New grab anination!! I did like the animation and the effect, but other than that... The animation and recovery is too slow, too easily punishable and the width of the grab is trash. A big setback for Jason.

If they would speedup the recovery and increase the grab -width just a littlebit, I'd be happy... Oh, and the bad grab-animation hurts even more if your Jasons ping is higher than the counselors. Pretty hard to land a shiftgrab.. 

There, my 2 cents...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lasse_hei said:

If they would speedup the recovery and increase the grab -width just a littlebit, I'd be happy... Oh, and a bad grab-animation hurts even more if your Jasons ping is higher than the counselors. Pretty hard to land a shiftgrab.. 

There, my 2 cents...

I agree completely with your break down, very well said.

• Thanks 1

It's fine as is.

This is one of those times where I agree that Jason needs to be played with some skill. 

I remember when the game came out and for a while after it's release the grab range was ridiculous. Jason could grab a counselor from across the other side of the road. We used to call it the magno grip. I actually watched a stream of a youtuber who played it around the release date the other night and he tried to swing at Jason, but Jason was still coming out of his animation of killing a counselor and he literally ran 4-5 steps and Jason grabbed him when the original motion of the grab was swipe down animation but it would grab people miles ahead of what it should've. Sometimes it glitches a bit now, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. 

The grab itself is still rather useless unless you're dealing with strays or solos.

I have a quick kill equipped with every single Jason and even then, sometimes you still don't have enough time to execute a kill before bam...freed counselor.

I only shift/grab anymore if I feel like its going to be a sure thing.

I'm strictly a shift/slash/knife Jason now. Pocket knife paranoia and the need to wear down medic/hypo players becomes priority, which is also why I tend to gravitate towards weapon strength Jasons.

Until body blocking is introduced or some form of protection from counselors being able to instant free others. Slashes and knives take precadent unless I know im dealing with solos or strays who can't be helped by anything other than a pocket knife.

23 hours ago, lasse_hei said:

Evolution of the grab:

1st (during launch) the grab range / width was highly effective. You didn't want to get too close to Jason, he was a threat. Then started the complaints. Jason is op, Jason has jedi-powers, etc. Personally, I experienced these vader-grabs very rarely. Mostly these were caused by lag btw.

Then the grab got nerfed, hence Jason's t-rex arms... This was the birth of the dancing counselor-mains; trolling Jason was so easy that many didn't even want to play Jason anymore. Jason was in a very sad state, the grab range was short and there was nearly no width. Sometines you couldn't grab a counselor even if he was standing infront of you.. Absolute garbage!

And finally, after a long wait, the grab got adjusted. A little lenghth, a little width, and most were happy. Some trolls started crying right away, eventhough there was nothing op about this adjustment. Anyway this felt like an ok balance on "both sides".

And when all seamed fine, and that Jason was heading in the right direction... Behold: New grab anination!! I did like the animation and the effect, but other than that... The animation and recovery is too slow, too easily punishable and the width of the grab is trash. A big setback for Jason.

If they would speedup the recovery and increase the grab -width just a littlebit, I'd be happy... Oh, and the bad grab-animation hurts even more if your Jasons ping is higher than the counselors. Pretty hard to land a shiftgrab.. 

There, my 2 cents...

Pretty much sums up the history of the grab perfectly, as well as what should be done to fix it.