19 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Put it into perspective: If Halo: Infinite drops to 2,000 active players withing 1-2 years after release, is that not a dead game?

No, it's not. It just has a lower player base. Not dead.

4 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

So as long as 1 person is still playing it's not dead? By that logic technically almost every game in existence is not dead, because someone somewhere is still playing it.

If you can't fill a lobby it's safe to call it dead. I still have no trouble finding full matches. Not dead.

21 hours ago, He's Killing Me said:

It seems to be the thing nowadays, to say a game is "dead" or "dying" or call everything "trash."

Not just nowadays... It has always been a thing for people to show their lack of knowledge by using words in a way opposite of their actual meaning... as is shown when someone uses the word dead to describe something that is clearly "NOT" dead.
   Everything is dying... this is just the natural order of ALL things... From the day of birth... or conception for that matter... of ANY "living" thing... it has begun down the road towards death and can be referred to correctly as "dying" from the very moment of its first instance of life.... People that constantly point out that something is dying are merely repeating something that we all know... and thinking this makes them look intelligent somehow.
   As far as "trash"... There is an old saying.... "one man's art is another man's trash." No one likes everything... and there are a great many people that labeled this entire franchise as trash without even giving it a chance... and taking the opinion of someone who will not even give something a chance before forming their opinion... is just dumb.
   Siskel & Ebert famously trashed Friday the 13th and its sequels... but they were already famous for despising "horror" movies in general... so why would anyone looking for an honest review of a horror movie have ever bothered paying attention to one of their reviews of a horror movie?

4 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

So as long as 1 person is still playing it's not dead? By that logic technically almost every game in existence is not dead, because someone somewhere is still playing it.

Not just "by that logic"... but by the meaning of the word being used to describe the state of something... Dead is dead... if people are still playing it... it is not dead... Some games just have a very small player base. But if people (or even one person, if the game is playable with one person) are in fact, still playing it... then how could it possibly be considered "dead"... by ANYONE that actually understands what that tiny little word?
   If a doctor says you are dead and you sit up and tell him you are "not dead"... then this doctor is a quack. The same can be said about anyone that claims this... or any other game that people are still actively playing... is dead.
   If people are still "actively playing" a game... then it still has "life" and can in no way be considered "dead".
   The opinions of people that have no understanding of the words they are using to relate their opinion are proven invalid by their own misuse of the language being used to relate the opinion at hand.... Which harkens back to another "old saying"... "You can NEVER mean what you say... if you cannot say what you mean."... This statement happens to be one of those old "truisms" as my grade 8 English teacher used to say... I feel old again now.

4 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Dying would be a better term because by definition, dead is absolute. People have been arguing for some time that this game isn't dead but I challenge anyone to say it's not dying. Most games never die. Hell, people still play that shyte NES Jason game.

You got it... Dead is indeed absolute... But even a game that came out today... is "technically" dying... as eventually... everything dies. Some things just take longer than others. "Inevitability is the strongest of all magics."
   I am sure that somewhere out there... there is a game that no one is playing any longer... and could never be played again for.... reasons... which we may actually legitimately call "dead"... But a great many of the games out there still have some life left in them... even if very few people play them still... thusly making them "not dead".
   Pong was the first video game... and there are still people who play it. They may be few and far between... but it is still being played... But eventually... all copies will be lost and no one will be playing it at all anymore, or ever again... and then the word... dead would truly apply... Until then... even pong is not dead.

43 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I ponder what that universe lacks if they have all the content we dontr have.

That universe lacks only one thing that we have.... the lawsuit...
    Back in the '70s in that universe... the law that made this lawsuit possible was never conceived of.... OR.. Sean Cunningham's lawyer was smart enough to include the "work for hire" clause in Mr. Miller's contract... AND (the word AND is VERY important here) Mr. Cunningham kept his copy all of these years.

The real question is... what happened in the universe where Jason is wearing a tiara?

46 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I usually have contingencies for those bad idea scenarios.

Many of these contingencies are lacking due to certain "unkown" aspects of the subject the warnings were about... There are things we should not play with until we have a much greater understanding of them... After all... it is utterly impossible to see the consequences when doing something you only have a "vague" understanding of.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

That universe lacks only one thing that we have.... the lawsuit...

Back in the '70s in that universe... the law that made this lawsuit possible was never conceived of.... OR.. Sean Cunningham's lawyer was smart enough to include the "work for hire" clause in Mr. Miller's contract... AND (the word AND is VERY important here) Mr. Cunningham kept his copy all of these years.

The real question is... what happened in the universe where Jason is wearing a tiara?

Many of these contingencies are lacking due to certain "unkown" aspects of the subject the warnings were about... There are things we should not play with until we have a much greater understanding of them... After all... it is utterly impossible to see the consequences when doing something you only have a "vague" understanding of.

Tiara Jason is granted otherworldly abilities while wearing his decorative headpiece. I'd be more curious about pith helmet Jason. 😎

22 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

You said "alive in spirit" but being alive in spirit doesn't keep the cashflow going is what I'm saying.

Cash flow isn't the issue here. The lawsuit is.

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

You said "alive in spirit" but being alive in spirit doesn't keep the cashflow going is what I'm saying.

Good thing it isn't just alive in spirit then. There are still players filling lobbies. Again, not dead.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Yeah it does.

No, it doesn't. When something is dead, that means it is gone completely. If it's still being played, then it isn't dead regardless of job loss due to declining player base.

37 minutes ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

No, it doesn't. When something is dead, that means it is gone completely. If it's still being played, then it isn't dead regardless of job loss due to declining player base.

Sounds like wishful thinking.

7 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Sounds like wishful thinking.

Better than cynical defeatism.

11 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

The game is about to release on switch. The cash flow is still, ahh, flowing...

12 hours ago, Ahab said:

... I feel old again now.

How old are you btw? I'm usually the old guy still kicking around in the gaming world at 35. Always good to know I'm not the only one still getting joy out of what some would perceive as children fun(My wife gave up telling me to grow up long ago.. haha).

Edit: shit I just noob double posted.... 😟

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I'm usually the old guy still kicking around in the gaming world at 35.

Geesh, now I feel old. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The game is not dead. It still has a player base and getting into full lobbies is no problem on Xbox ( IDK about PC and PS4). However, the player base is shrinking. So I agree with @F134Ever86 that dying is a better term to define the state of the game. It will eventually die when the servers go offline but let's hope that is quite a long time from now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

How old are you btw? I'm usually the old guy still kicking around in the gaming world at 35. Always good to know I'm not the only one still getting joy out of what some would perceive as children fun(My wife gave up telling me to grow up long ago.. haha).

Edit: shit I just noob double posted.... 😟

Gaming isn't just for children. Take pride in being a seasoned veteran in the gaming world. I do.

8 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

Geesh, now I feel old. lol

You are only as old or young as you feel.

• Like 1

Speaking for the PC version which is at 244 players as I speak (well below the 300 threshold to have the playercount hidden on the Steam community page) I would say it's pretty dead compared to its old self. The only thing deader would be something like Bloody Good Time which usually has zero players.

The line about there still being servers is questionable. It takes a very long time to get a US server in quick play. Most of the time I am thrown in a EU or SA server and have to keep retrying. No new content can be added, not even a tree, a rock, or a new Jason and 6 kills that hackers got to play fully completed in public matches. However, new boat sounds, new Jason mask icons for rage mode, and an port to an entirely new platform which will require its own coding, UI elements, hardware support, etc, is not considered new content and is perfectly fine.

I am not saying this because I hate the game, it's the opposite, I am upset because I enjoyed this game very much. I hate to see this fading to oblivion while far inferior (imo) games retain their popularity. My post count on this forum is not indicative of how much I've played this game.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, Fair Play said:

I'd be more curious about pith helmet Jason.

Oh my... Not the dreaded Pith helmet!!! He would be invincible!!!!

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, badassgixxer05 said:

For an apricot... I am old... For a head of lettuce, even more so...  But for a mountain, I have not yet begun in years... and for a man, I am just right.

I do know people in their eighties that play video games now... and these are very serious and mature men and women. Even I am far from the oldest person to enjoy video games...
   Those who perceive video games as "Children's fun" have not tried them, or found a game that they would enjoy playing. Most of these types of games are not meant for children... Friday the 13th sure is not meant for children... and we can say the same about a great many other games as well.
    My brother used to condemn video games... until he discovered Formula 1 racing games... now he no longer condemns video games... I can give the same type of examples for many different people I have known, who found many different types of games they liked... The best examples I can think of....Many years ago now, I knew a few veterans of WWII who discovered Call of Duty 2, and they reconnected with people they had not spoken with since the war... It gave them great joy in their last few years... and no one that knew these men would have dared to call them childish.

Growing up playing video games has given me incredible reflexes and hand eye co ordination... and is used (and has been for many years now) to develop these skill in growing children to great effect... They are also used to relearn these skills when a person has lost... and regained the use of a limb, or fingers. 
    Continuing to play video games keeps my reflexes and hand eye co ordinations skills sharp... and I get a great deal of enjoyment out of them.

19 hours ago, Fair Play said:

You are only as old or young as you feel.

Indeed... But some days I feel much older than I am.

38 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Growing up playing video games has given me incredible reflexes and hand eye co ordination... and is used (and has been for many years now) to develop these skill in growing children to great effect... They are also used to relearn these skills when a person has lost... and regained the use of a limb, or fingers. 

Continuing to play video games keeps my reflexes and hand eye co ordinations skills sharp... and I get a great deal of enjoyment out of them.

Indeed... But some days I feel much older than I am.

I agree about the hand-eye coordination. Gaming keeps one's reflexes pretty sharp.

The enjoyment one receives from gaming helps keep one feeling young, not to mention stress-free..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fair Play said:

The enjoyment one receives from gaming helps keep one feeling young, not to mention stress-free..

Playing with toxic people can raise stress levels... which is why I enjoy playing with as many friends as I can get into a lobby. Some of the people out there in quick play land are so toxic that if a fly lands on my screen while they are talking shit, it instantly falls dead...
   The best we can do is find a new lobby after the assholes reveal themselves.

3 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Some of the people out there in quick play land are so toxic that if a fly lands on my screen while they are talking shit, it instantly falls dead...

I played a round the other night as Jason and was killed for the first time since the patch. Normally, I tell the team that kills me good game. But this group was so toxic and talked so much toxic crap, I was just ready to end the round and find a new lobby. What makes the whole situation worse is, I came on the forums the next day and came to the realization that the Tommy that killed me and talked the most toxic BS is a member of the forums here. 

19 minutes ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

I played a round the other night as Jason and was killed for the first time since the patch. Normally, I tell the team that kills me good game. But this group was so toxic and talked so much toxic crap, I was just ready to end the round and find a new lobby. What makes the whole situation worse is, I came on the forums the next day and came to the realization that the Tommy that killed me and talked the most toxic BS is a member of the forums here. 

Yes... I have noticed a couple of forum members that I have seen in game that were total jerk offs... and at least one that would be outright banned if footage with what they said was sent in... Certain "language" used by someone in game is bannable under the rules... But there will, of course... be no naming and shaming. 

I also have several forum members in my friends list, and they are great people... They know who they are... but some of them do not come on the forums anymore... I do not keep assholes in my friends list. There are also a few that I have just never seen in game... or I would have them on my friends list already... Many of the people here I am not even sure which platform they play on... but most are not on PC from what I can tell... or they use different names here than they do on steam.
   When someone cuts down my Jason... They get a "Good Game" out of me... but not if they are toxic assholes. I will throw their toxicity right back in their eyes... and they will recognize me here... My name here is the same as it is on steam... same profile pic too.

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Playing with toxic people can raise stress levels... which is why I enjoy playing with as many friends as I can get into a lobby. Some of the people out there in quick play land are so toxic that if a fly lands on my screen while they are talking shit, it instantly falls dead...
   The best we can do is find a new lobby after the assholes reveal themselves.

I agree with you, given that "can" is the key word. I've been gaming for so long, that it take a lot for someone to get under my skin in a game. Years of practice can give one a very cool head.

I also agree that if someone gets under your skin in a game, you should switch lobbies, and cool down, rather than get heated.

1 hour ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

I would have never guessed that. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

55 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Yes... I have noticed a couple of forum members that I have seen in game that were total jerk offs... and at least one that would be outright banned if footage with what they said was sent in... Certain "language" used by someone in game is bannable under the rules... But there will, of course... be no naming and shaming. 

I also have several forum members in my friends list, and they are great people... They know who they are... but some of them do not come on the forums anymore... I do not keep assholes in my friends list. There are also a few that I have just never seen in game... or I would have them on my friends list already... Many of the people here I am not even sure which platform they play on... but most are not on PC from what I can tell... or they use different names here than they do on steam.
   When someone cuts down my Jason... They get a "Good Game" out of me... but not if they are toxic assholes. I will throw their toxicity right back in their eyes... and they will recognize me here... My name here is the same as it is on steam... same profile pic too.

I'm hoping most rational people here wouldn't keep "assholes" in their friend list.

The game is absolutely dead. The only thing people somewhat come back for is double XP.

There is nothing new besides a token 'change' that sits for 6 months to 'marinate'. Meanwhile many of the bugs and glitches that have been there since nearly launch still float around along with new ones.

There is no Paranoia, no new game mode, no new maps, no new items coming to the original mode that are not already in game, no new Jasons, no new counselors, no new clothes, no new emotes (thank god, such waste), no new anything.

Take the lawsuit out of it and just flash back to 2017 honestly.

NES Jason was supposed to be reworked, but never happened and they had many months to do it. Instead Part 4 and Jarvis happened, which is fine because they are canon afterall. Paranoia was supposed to offer a new PvP mode, it got cancelled because it wasn't fun aka wasn't fun for counselor im guessing. They promise and hype Uber/Grendel with yet another time consuming, zero replay value mode in Virtual Cabin 2.0, then turn around and claim neither were close to release and THAT was in December and the content pipeline went off in May 2018. Instead they push out Pinehurst and Roy next so they skipped over promised content.

Even if you accept that the game is still being played in a much smaller volume. There are still so many things for the playerbase to shake their head at. Hell even Randy stopped playing with the community in yet another example of no explanation given.

Sorry for the rant, but I agree with the OP. Its very dire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

NES Jason was supposed to be reworked, but never happened and they had many months to do it. Instead Part 4 and Jarvis happened, which is fine because they are canon afterall. Paranoia was supposed to offer a new PvP mode, it got cancelled because it wasn't fun aka wasn't fun for counselor im guessing. They promise and hype Uber/Grendel with yet another time consuming, zero replay value mode in Virtual Cabin 2.0, then turn around and claim neither were close to release and THAT was in December and the content pipeline went off in May 2018. Instead they push out Pinehurst and Roy next so they skipped over promised content.

I was looking forward to that rework of NES Jason.

17 hours ago, Fair Play said:

I agree with you, given that "can" is the key word.

If you cannot say what you mean, you can never mean what you say... "Can" was indeed a key word here... Just because something "can" happen does not mean it "will" happen... at least not every time anyway.

I also agree that if someone gets under your skin in a game, you should switch lobbies, and cool down, rather than get heated.

If more people did this... then NO ONE would have to deal with trolls, and they would have no one to troll... Problem solved... Without the intervention of the devs or the changing of ANY game mechanics.

I'm hoping most rational people here wouldn't keep "assholes" in their friend list.

The key word here is "rational" people.

3 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

The game is absolutely dead.

People have been saying this since before I bought the game in October 2017... and they are still saying it. Repeating a false statement over and over again does not make it true. How is it a false statement you ask?... Simple... people are still playing the game.
   Also... the numbers have been dropping... since the game was released... but they have been hovering within a certain range for a very long time now too. Sometimes they drop bellow these numbers and sometimes they rise above these numbers... EVERY game is dying from the day it is released... some will just take longer than others to actually die.
   But this game is still not dead no matter how many people say it is.

Most of the rest of your rant (which you are allowed to do... we all rant sometimes and I will NEVER hold a rant against you) is based on no new content... Sure this has hurt the game... but mostly because of people spreading the false news that the game has been abandoned by the developers by people that read "end of game" when the words actually said "end of content"... and the fact that people looking to buy this game generally look at that... and take that person's word for it and do not look into it further... There is absolutely no doubt that this has hurt sales... which has of course, also hurt our player base... All because the people making these complaints and adding this to their reviews of the game... misread, misunderstood or outright lied when they actually knew better but needed to lash out at the devs for something that was not their fault.
   I wanted the lost content as much as the next person... but the loss of this content has not made the people who said the game is dead before the announcement any more or less wrong than those who said it afterwards. Both of these groups are wrong. People are still playing, and you are still here... along with the rest of us... including myself. It is not dead. When it is dead... I will no longer be here to point out to people that are not here that it is dead... They will not need this to be pointed out to them, it will be plainly obvious... and they sure as shit would not be here to read about it being dead in the first place if it were actually true.

Even if you accept that the game is still being played in a much smaller volume.

It is being played in a much smaller volume than it was just after release... this is true.
   The problem with your statement is that it is misleading... Sometimes the numbers are higher, sometimes they are lower... but I have been seeing the same numbers of 300 -500 MANY times during every single month since I bought the game... For the numbers to have consistently dropped off... (we cannot go with averages as they are misleading)... We would actually need to see lower and lower numbers as we stumble into our own futures... This... has not actually happened yet, or I would be seeing 300-450...300-425....300-400... and so on. Steam does not give us a number unless there are 300 or more people playing at any given time... and I saw this number not being given in my first month of play quite a few times... just as I have in each month since I bought the game.
   Steam also only works on number of players on at any given time... and averages using this number only... This is very misleading when people want to talk about how many players were on in any particular day.

Sorry for the rant,

Rants are awesome!... If it helps you let off some steam.

1 hour ago, Fair Play said:

I was looking forward to that rework of NES Jason.

I call Retro Jason... "Thanos"... for reasons...

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, Ahab said:

If you cannot say what you mean, you can never mean what you say... "Can" was indeed a key word here... Just because something "can" happen does not mean it "will" happen... at least not every time anyway.

If more people did this... then NO ONE would have to deal with trolls, and they would have no one to troll... Problem solved... Without the intervention of the devs or the changing of ANY game mechanics.

The key word here is "rational" people.

People have been saying this since before I bought the game in October 2017... and they are still saying it. Repeating a false statement over and over again does not make it true. How is it a false statement you ask?... Simple... people are still playing the game.
   Also... the numbers have been dropping... since the game was released... but they have been hovering within a certain range for a very long time now too. Sometimes they drop bellow these numbers and sometimes they rise above these numbers... EVERY game is dying from the day it is released... some will just take longer than others to actually die.
   But this game is still not dead no matter how many people say it is.

Most of the rest of your rant (which you are allowed to do... we all rant sometimes and I will NEVER hold a rant against you) is based on no new content... Sure this has hurt the game... but mostly because of people spreading the false news that the game has been abandoned by the developers by people that read "end of game" when the words actually said "end of content"... and the fact that people looking to buy this game generally look at that... and take that person's word for it and do not look into it further... There is absolutely no doubt that this has hurt sales... which has of course, also hurt our player base... All because the people making these complaints and adding this to their reviews of the game... misread, misunderstood or outright lied when they actually knew better but needed to lash out at the devs for something that was not their fault.
   I wanted the lost content as much as the next person... but the loss of this content has not made the people who said the game is dead before the announcement any more or less wrong than those who said it afterwards. Both of these groups are wrong. People are still playing, and you are still here... along with the rest of us... including myself. It is not dead. When it is dead... I will no longer be here to point out to people that are not here that it is dead... They will not need this to be pointed out to them, it will be plainly obvious... and they sure as shit would not be here to read about it being dead in the first place if it were actually true.

It is being played in a much smaller volume than it was just after release... this is true.
   The problem with your statement is that it is misleading... Sometimes the numbers are higher, sometimes they are lower... but I have been seeing the same numbers of 300 -500 MANY times during every single month since I bought the game... For the numbers to have consistently dropped off... (we cannot go with averages as they are misleading)... We would actually need to see lower and lower numbers as we stumble into our own futures... This... has not actually happened yet, or I would be seeing 300-450...300-425....300-400... and so on. Steam does not give us a number unless there are 300 or more people playing at any given time... and I saw this number not being given in my first month of play quite a few times... just as I have in each month since I bought the game.
   Steam also only works on number of players on at any given time... and averages using this number only... This is very misleading when people want to talk about how many players were on in any particular day.

Rants are awesome!... If it helps you let off some steam.

I call Retro Jason... "Thanos"... for reasons...

He's not far off of being wrong. Depending on what on specific unlockables you're seeking and your state of progress in the game, besides the Double XP/CPs/Tape drop events, there's really not much incentive on going back to play the game once you've been through the process of the whole experience. Not to mention the re-release of the physical copy and price deals they've done in the past only introduced the game to a new group of players and it's part of the reason why you're still seeing active lobbies. I imagine it will be no different after the nintendo switch version drops. 

Now you can applaud and credit Gun Media for making it a smart business move, but when you look at the reality of it, it may not make the game dead, but it doesn't change the fact that the variety for the gameplay is without a doubt completely dead. There is no longer any replay value. It's not thriving like it did before because Gun Media is not really doing much to bring back interest for the game. Morale is completely down. If you need proof, look at the the popular twitch streamers/content creators that stopped broadcasting this game on a weekly basis. Guys like Ohmwrecker streams Dead By Daylight, a much older game, more often than F13th. It shouldn't be difficult to imagine why that is. Even Randy, their own team member lost interest on broadcasting the game. No one knew the reason why until suddenly the news of the lawsuit came up and from there it wasn't much of a secret. Even the number of members surrounding this site that use to be active are declining right now. And who can blame them for not coming back? Not much point in discussing a future for the game if Gun Media has no interest on giving it a big future to begin with. At least based on what I heard from Mattshotcha. He already confirmed there's no plans for a sequel.

Also to say something like "There are other games that never got DLC and it's playerbase was still going strong." That's all subjective depending on what games you are referring to. Most game developers probably spent a crucial amount of time and money making sure that game got enough variety before release that it probably got to the point it didn't need much future content.

I understand that Gun Media is not like others and there's always going to be publishers/developers that will struggle sometimes even if it meant sacrificing something for the game to move onto other projects, but it's the fact that they won't consider another crowdfunding to help them for future content, yet alone a sequel is dreadful. You figure they could do something like this to show some sort of redemption and bring up morale among everybody. Nobody's asking for their apologies or saying they owe us, just take some action to get around the issue. Even that had to meant US helping THEM. This is why morale is always down because it's nothing but disappointing news all the time.

It's bad enough you can never hear the end of it when you want to post an idea in the suggestions/feedback without seeing "Sorry Henry, but making Lachappa get an itchy scalp or dandruff for playing in the camp too long will count as new content."