Dogmatic

Friday the 13th releasing on Nintendo Switch this Spring

37 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

The lawsuit exists because certain parties were looking at the dollar signs of the franchise, instead of thinking about the fans who are caught in the middle.

I agree.  Gun is caught in the middle of this as well. Gun clearly loves the franchise look at the little details they put in the game. If the lawsuit never happened Gun would be getting praise right now because the next film would probably be in production. Gun is a contributing factor on how Jason became popular again with fans new and old. I highly believe the popularity of the game was setting up the makings of another film.  All of us are upset! The only difference is we aren't affiliated with Gun so, we can freely express how we feel about the lawsuit.  

7 minutes ago, Vanessaismymain said:

I agree.  Gun is caught in the middle of this as well. Gun clearly loves the franchise look at the little details they put in the game. If the lawsuit never happened Gun would be getting praise right now because the next film would probably be in production. Gun is a contributing factor on how Jason became popular again with fans new and old. I highly believe the popularity of the game was setting up the makings of another film.  All of us are upset! The only difference is we aren't affiliated with Gun so, we can freely express how we feel about the lawsuit.  

Gun is suffering as much as the player base. It would have been nice if the lawsuit had never been a thing. We'd most likely be getting new content every so often, and there would be a lot more fans of the franchise actively playing the game.

I'm not so much upset about the lawsuit as I am disappointed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vanessaismymain said:

This is a bit of a stretch. Not to say the devs aren't passionate about F13 in general, but Jason as a horror icon was never really faltering, and honestly the newest movie + this game didn't really shed a great light on the franchise upon either's release. The game was ridiculed for it's bugs immediately and it certainly wasn't repaired quick enough, even relative to the lawsuit, to justify it continuing the F13 glory. And the reboot wasn't incredibly well received either. 

Posted (edited)

What I don't understand is why GUN has shown 0 interest in a sequel or even continuing content with this game when the lawsuit is eventually settled when they know the game we have is not the game they had envisioned. Where is the love for the franchise with these choices?

@MrSketchyFungus GUN has said content will never continue and they will never make a sequel. I don't feel like digging this is up but it's there should you seek it out. I get that it's a business decision but all they had to say was they would jump back on it the first chance they got, which of course was never said.

@Vanessaismymain that's believable and completely understandable.

@Dragonfire82877 I disagree. I think they could have avoided a lot of fan backlash if they said they would continue with content if they could instead of we're washing our hands of it.

Edited by F134Ever86
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrSketchyFungus said:

This is a bit of a stretch. Not to say the devs aren't passionate about F13 in general, but Jason as a horror icon was never really faltering, and honestly the newest movie + this game didn't really shed a great light on the franchise upon either's release. The game was ridiculed for it's bugs immediately and it certainly wasn't repaired quick enough, even relative to the lawsuit, to justify it continuing the F13 glory. And the reboot wasn't incredibly well received either. 

I don't agree. Gun definitely brought life back to the franchise.  The lawsuit is what killed the steam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F134Ever86 said:

What I don't understand is why GUN has shown 0 interest in a sequel or even continuing content with this game when the lawsuit is eventually settled when they know the game we have is not the game they had envisioned. Where is the love for the franchise with these choices?

They've been back and forth with their "interest" based on developments with the lawsuit, but have never seemingly committed one way or the other, (especially with Wes recently claiming there'd be "no new content" in that interview a month or so ago). Ultimately, it's a business decision, and the fact that people keep thinking they'd base this decision on passion for the franchise is kind of ridiculous. Passion doesn't pay the bills. A sequel is even further out of the question if they can't even add content now, and there's no sign of the lawsuit ending any time soon. 

32 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

I can't speak for them... I can only give my opinion but they probably want to wash their hands with this whole mess and move on to a project where people are willing to work with Gun and not feel like their under a microscope being told if you release DLC we're shutting you down. 

19 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

They have shown no interest because they were told that they cant add content due to the lawsuit. I believe if the lawsuit ended and they were given the green light by their partners, they would continue content in some form (if only Jason X and that's it). But, they aren't going to show interest in something that may never happen. That would cause false hope. And could you imagine the backlash and PR nightmares they would have to endure if they came out and said they were going to continue with the game if and when the lawsuit ended, then was unable to do so because the outcome of the lawsuit went the wrong way?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

@MrSketchyFungus GUN has said content will never continue and they will never make a sequel. I don't feel like digging this is up but it's there should you seek it out. I get that it's a business decision but all they had to say was they would jump back on it the first chance they got, which of course was never said.

I don't think I said anything to the contrary of this...?

Edit: I mentioned Wes even saying in that interview they specifically wouldn't add content, even if things were sorted out, but just take that with a grain of salt since they've seemed to contradict themselves in multiple interviews in the last year or so on the matter. 

Edited by MrSketchyFungus

7 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

Existing in the Virtual Cabin is not the same as taking control over the playable character. And no, a mask in a menu is not the same as an additional playable Jason build in game. It's also not the same as repurposing elements interactively. You're focusing on a UI element as a basis for playable, protected properties. That's not the same.

It’s fine. You were already caught admitting how content that is currently in the game is legally able to be updated, combined with other existing game content, and coded to create something new without it constituting “new content.” This means that existing content in the game—like everything in the Virtual Cabin 2.0–is able to be used to expanded upon but Gun is unwilling to have anyone do it because it’s seen as not worth it.

I’ve watched each Beyond and it’s clear that Wes is preoccupied with the financial side which is bewildering because this game was funded primarily by the Kickstarter and has produced millions of dollars in revenue. You can’t simultaneously boast about being Top 3 most purchased digital games of 2017 and then cry about not having money to pay a team or programmers. Lies. It’s clear that investing money in human resources for the programming side of development would cut into Gun’s hefty profits. This, again, from a game that was funded by a Kickstarter and has been a success. That’s a disgrace. There have been hundreds of new modifiers, conditions, boundaries, etc added to the game the past year working within the existing game engine. You’re just trying to lie by saying you can’t touch content in the Virtual Cabin to expand and create something new, but you could. You said so. That’s all we needed to know. Thank you.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MrSketchyFungus said:

They've been back and forth with their "interest" based on developments with the lawsuit, but have never seemingly committed one way or the other

Edited by F134Ever86

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

Cool, great retort. They HAVE been back and forth about it. They've shown interest and backed off multiple times, which is why "interest" was in quotations. I still think if they found it monetarily plausible, and if the lawsuit settled, they'd continue, which is why I don't take them exactly at their word. I don't think it's likely but I don't find it impossible, and their word hasn't meant much yet honestly. I doubt the lawsuit will settle in the foreseeable future anyways, so I doubt its an issue. You're the one who questioned why they wouldn't make a sequel in the first place, so I don't think you quite understood my original response anyways. 

Edit: The message I'm responding to keeps getting edited every couple of minutes without note so hopefully this still represents what I'm responding to. 

Edited by MrSketchyFungus

2 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

They have shown no interest because they were told that they cant add content due to the lawsuit. I believe if the lawsuit ended and they were given the green light by their partners, they would continue content in some form (if only Jason X and that's it). But, they aren't going to show interest in something that may never happen. That would cause false hope. And could you imagine the backlash and PR nightmares they would have to endure if they came out and said they were going to continue with the game if and when the lawsuit ended, then was unable to do so because the outcome of the lawsuit went the wrong way?

^ Pretty much this. 

2 hours ago, Vanessaismymain said:

I don't agree. Gun definitely brought life back to the franchise.  The lawsuit is what killed the steam.

I love most of the dedicated player-base for this game but it's a stretch to say they brought life back to the franchise. The game was pretty terribly received upon launch and that's what the majority of gamers perceived since many didn't bother to try for themselves, as is the case for a lot of poorly reviewed games. Considering the new movie was also relatively poorly reviewed, idk where the momentum you saw would've come from. (and to be fair, I'm a fan of both. Popular opinion was not).

There’s a reality that some are avoiding here, because it’s more convenient to argue. 

I backed this game. I didn’t jump on the wagon later (not that there’s anything wrong with that). I paid for all the DLC. I played through the game’s toughest times. 

And played... and played... and played... 

Which brings me to my point. For the money I put out, I got hundreds of hours out of this game. That’s more I can say for the big budget releases that I’m routinely “told” to like. Games that cost over $100, PLUS lOot bOXiEs and other microtransactions aimed solely to break your wallet. 

As fan of the game (and franchise), I feel lucky that the game we got — while not perfect — didn’t go the route that some of you wish did. Countless times, I’ve been here, seeing posts about how the game needs to be done by triple A this and that. To be blunt, as someone who knows a little something about the gaming industry, triple A development is the LAST thing you want if you truly want F13 to be faithful to the films and lore. All triple A development would do is create “ninja Jason” fighting super heroes for counselors “in a battle to save the world”. The game you love so much is a combination of development, publishing, players... but what we all have in common is that we’re fans. NEVER would you get the fan service and attention to detail with someone else. 

All that aside, some of you here have been going out of your way to beat Gun up. No, I’m no knight here to defend Gun. Some of you are just acting like entitled brats. Considering what you’ve paid, and how long you’ve been playing, you MORE than got your money’s worth. Ok, you didn’t get Uber Jason. Um... ok? If you DID get both Uber and Grendel, you’d still be here, bitching. Don’t lie; I’ve been watching y’all forever now. Consider yourself lucky that Jarvis House, Pinehurst, new Jasons and counselors were all FREE DLC. While you might think you were entitled to it, you have NO idea what another publisher would’ve done with that content. And believe me, you don’t wanna know. 

I’ve had my own issues with communication from Gun; I wish they did a better job of it in the past. And, I wish they didn’t announce and promote a new game mode without knowing what it was going to be. Or promising content that stood a good chance of falling in the crosshairs of the lawsuit. It was a case of putting the cart before the horse. And sure, they can be criticized for that. And should be.

But all in all, considering what you got for what you paid, I’d say it’s a pretty good deal, especially these days. I for one, am looking forward to the Switch version. It’ll be the third time I’m buying the game, but there’s something about smashing counselors while laying on the couch with the TV on in the background that gets the attention of my nipples. Instead of continuing to bitch about the lack of new content that you’ve KNOWN wasn’t coming, consider this perspective: The announcement of the game coming to the Switch just keeps the game alive that much longer.

• Like 2

Considering the graphics downgrade Dead By Daylight will have on the Switch, and that Friday the 13th in general has a more polished look vs DbD, i'm going to venture a guess and say Friday the 13th on Switch is going to be a disappointment, graphics wise.  The fact that it's ostensibly coming out in the next 3 months and we've yet to see a gameplay trailer for it is quite telling.

Dead By Daylight's gameplay trailer for the Switch: 

On 3/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, Fair Play said:

It would have been nice if the lawsuit had never been a thing. We'd most likely be getting new content every so often, and there would be a lot more fans of the franchise actively playing the game.

There weren't more fans coming to the game even when it was releasing new content, though.  The game has always ran on a decreasing player base month-to-month, special deep discount promotions notwithstanding.  The game lost close to 10% of the previous player base each month on average since launch.  There doesn't seem to be a difference in that rate from 6/17-5/18 when it was releasing new content, and 6/18-present when it is not.

39 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

There weren't more fans coming to the game even when it was releasing new content, though.  The game has always ran on a decreasing player base month-to-month, special deep discount promotions notwithstanding.  The game lost close to 10% of the previous player base each month on average since launch.  There doesn't seem to be a difference in that rate from 6/17-5/18 when it was releasing new content, and 6/18-present when it is not.

We can agree that a number of factors have caused the decrease of the player base of this game. The lawsuit is likely a main cause.

While it makes little difference, let's consider what could have happened if things went differently.

1. If we didn't have a lawsuit to affect the game, we could have still been getting new content. We would have gained and lost players. Maybe it would be ~10% loss each month, maybe not, we'll never know.

2. If the major bugs were fixed in a timely manner (I'm not knocking the powers that be, but rather making a point), we would have gained and lost players. Maybe it would be ~10% loss each month, maybe not, we'll never know.

3. If Illfonic had still been working on the game instead of Black Tower, we would have gained and lost players. Maybe it would be ~10% loss each month, maybe not, we'll never know.

I could go on, but the point would still be the same. There were a ton of variables to consider. We'll never know what could have been, or how much more or less successful this game could have been.

3 hours ago, Fair Play said:

We can agree that a number of factors have caused the decrease of the player base of this game. The lawsuit is likely a main cause.

Except that there wasn't an increase in the player numbers who were leaving after the no content announcement than there was when the game was still releasing new content. The lawsuit really didnt have an increased effect on that number from the data I've seen.

I get that you WANT to believe that more people left the game after June, but the numbers don't back up your claim.

57 minutes ago, Thatguyinktown said:

Except that there wasn't an increase in the player numbers who were leaving after the no content announcement than there was when the game was still releasing new content. The lawsuit really didnt have an increased effect on that number from the data I've seen.

I get that you WANT to believe that more people left the game after June, but the numbers don't back up your claim.

What I believe is that if certain things had went in a different direction, this game could have had a much larger following. We can't change the past, nor should we dwell on it.

On the bright side, there will be some Switch players in the near future to share in the fun times many of us have had and are continuing to have.

Lack of content sucks, but the real problem is the persistent bugs and animation glitches like rainbow blood and counselors teleporting into the floor while being killed then shooting up as if they were part of a circus act. I don't see why they would release this game on switch before eliminating all bugs. Maybe the next patch will release along side it.

2 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Lack of content sucks, but the real problem is the persistent bugs and animation glitches like rainbow blood and counselors teleporting into the floor while being killed then shooting up as if they were part of a circus act. I don't see why they would release this game on switch before eliminating all bugs. Maybe the next patch will release along side it.

We can only hope.