Dogmatic

Friday the 13th releasing on Nintendo Switch this Spring

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjtgYiI9ujgAhUFWa0KHaT0CJAQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2019%2Fgaming%2Fnews%2Ffriday-the-13th-the-game-nintendo-switch-release-1203153811%2F&psig=AOvVaw20y-ezximQ9AHMzHxBi0rX&ust=1551803877002961

Friday the 13th: The Game” is coming to Nintendo Switch this Spring with the release of “Friday the 13th: The Game Ultimate Slasher Switch Edition,” developer Gun Media tells Variety.

The upcoming edition includes all released content and paid DLC, including every Jason Kill Pack, both Counselor Clothing Packs, and the Emote Party Pack. It does not the include Kickstarter backer exclusive “Savini Jason” character or the backer exclusive clothing pack.

“We’re happy to be bringing ‘Friday the 13th: The Game’ to the Nintendo Switch with the help of our partners at Black Tower and Nighthawk. The Nintendo Switch offers a unique experience, in both social settings and on the go, that we feel work very well with ‘Friday the 13th: The Game,'” said Daniel Nixon, Gun Media’s Director of Communications.

“Friday the 13th” was originally funded via Kickstarter and released in 2017 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Last year developer Gun Media confirmed it would no longer be releasing new DLC content to the game due to a legal battle over the “Friday the 13th” franchise instigated by the original screenwriter, Victor Miller. Miller is attempting to reclaim the rights to his original characters that were used in the 1980 original movie and subsequent releases.

“We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock,” said Creative Director Wes Keltner at the time. “We can only focus on console-dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance. I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth.”

• Like 2

I’m confused by this. You don’t just pop in the game from your PS4 or Xbox and it works. There will be tons of new work needed to make the port work. That’s new content. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

So they can’t release new content but they can port it for release on new consoles? , Hey I’m glad the devs can make more money on this game,  but that is technically new content. I would imagine it would have to be an edited version for Nintendo .

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cer1alkill3r said:

I’m confused by this. You don’t just pop in the game from your PS4 or Xbox and it works. There will be tons of new work needed to make the port work. That’s new content. 

Don’t be confused , it is 100% new content... but whatever 

• Thanks 1

Don't know how this will work out since any Switch game with voice chat requires a mobile app. I saw Dead by Daylight announced in Nintendo's last direct, but this F13 is totally left field.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, silencedeffect said:

Don't know how this will work out since any Switch game with voice chat requires a mobile app. I saw Dead by Daylight announced in Nintendo's last direct, but this F13 is totally left field.

I believe Switch supports LAN play. Is the app free?

Edited by F134Ever86

A port isn’t new content. 

Stop.😂

That being said, who developed the port to Switch? Was it Black Tower? If it WAS, that raises a plethora of new questions.🤔

7 minutes ago, JackTV said:

A port isn’t new content. 

Stop.😂

That being said, who developed the port to Switch? Was it Black Tower? If it WAS, that raises a plethora of new questions.🤔

The new lines of code are new content. And they have already added new content to the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Cer1alkill3r said:

The new lines of code are new content. And they have already added new content to the game. 

Not sure how that works, and what is considered "content" but to put in new bug fixes would require new lines of code, and I know they are allowed to do that at this point.

• Like 1

It isn't new content. It's all existing content being brought over to another format.

There will not be anything in the Switch version that doesn't exist in other versions already released.

EDIT: also, new code is not new content as long as it isn't coding in an element that didn't previously exist. This is the same manner in which we are allowed to make bug fixes and balancing changes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Cer1alkill3r said:

New lines of code is not new content. 

They are free to release the game on any platform they want in its current state without any sort of issue. They will also be able to perform maintanence on the port as necessary. 

In spite of the lawsuit, they are able to make money on work they’ve already previously released by putting it on a new platform. This doesn’t change. 

16 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

I believe Switch supports LAN play. Is the app free?

Nintendo Switch Online app itself is free in iOS app stores, but the console's online service sure isn't :wacko:

It’ll suck for people who need to talk, but there are so many people on there now that don’t say anything, I don’t know that a lack of chat will make that much of a difference. 

34 minutes ago, mattshotcha said:

It isn't new content. It's all existing content being brought over to another format.

There will not be anything in the Switch version that doesn't exist in other versions already released.

EDIT: also, new code is not new content as long as it isn't coding in an element that didn't previously exist. This is the same manner in which we are allowed to make bug fixes and balancing changes.

I don’t care either way, I’m glad the devs can make some more money off their game, but let’s not use “existing content” as the reasoning, Jason X “exists” on the old content, granted he isn’t finished 100%  so it would require new lines of coding , adding a rock would require new lines of coding . 

1 hour ago, Cer1alkill3r said:

Making a port of a game with exactly the same assets as the other versions isn't new content. 

16 minutes ago, NytmereZ said:

I don’t care either way, I’m glad the devs can make some more money off their game, but let’s not use “existing content” as the reasoning, Jason X “exists” on the old content, granted he isn’t finished 100%  so it would require new lines of coding , adding a rock would require new lines of coding . 

It would require the addition of assets.

56 minutes ago, JackTV said:

It’ll suck for people who need to talk, but there are so many people on there now that don’t say anything, I don’t know that a lack of chat will make that much of a difference. 

Socializing with others is what makes this game most fun for me. Met some cool peeps this way and still play with a bunch to this day. It would still be fun to play if we couldn't voice chat, dont get me wrong, but voice chat just adds that extra element on top. Hope Switch users will get to experience that(Even if it is just a 9 year old yelling obnoxious things through the match.. 😂).

56 minutes ago, Dead Meme said:

Do we have to start over, or can we transfer our data from PS4/Xbox? @mattshotcha

It's a whole separate platform so you'll need to create a new save, new progress.

• Thanks 1