Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’ve almost posted this idea a few times but never had it worked out all the way, maybe one of you can make it work. Wes mentioned that Perks could potentially be reused in new ways as part of the balancing that is currently happening and I figured now would be as good a time as any to bring it up.

Using Psychic as my example (there’s no reason other perks couldn’t be used in the same way), I’m think we can adjust specific perks so they require a second perk to be combined with the first and your third slot maybe sacrificed in the process. Psychic is mostly useless and could even be seen as a liability because Jason can use its extra range to track you. This sucks, it seems opposite to how Perks should work and makes what sounds like an awesome inclusion from later movies, simply bad. 

 

First suggestion - Pyrokinesis

Pyro is another perk that isn’t useful, I know they expected people to use it for tracking and I do track Jason but it isn’t worth a slot. I can’t imagine it ever being worth a slot. Imagine taking Psychic and then having to select the type of psychic you wanted to be. So if you took Psychic and Pyro you’re Counselor would gain the ability to bring up a flare gun sight, and mentally fire a burst of fire like pyrokinesis. This would use the same mechanics as the flare gun and would make these perks fun. 

To balance it you’d only have till rage for it to be useful, and you’re giving up that third perk slot. I think 2 shots would be fair but maybe 1 every 3 minutes or something would be better. 

 

Second Suggestion - Telekinetic Shield

Combining Psychic with the firecrackers perk could allow you to activate the firecrackers effect on your Counselors model, basically giving you a radius that can stun Jason pre-rage. This can be used to regain stamina or run at Jason to make him drop someone. I figure you’d get one or two uses and it would activate by holding the left trigger (L2) followed by a right trigger tap (R2) same as shooting a gun. You couldn’t be carrying something when activating it but the trade off is part of the balance. You still trade that third perk slot so no doubling up on Psychic Powers. I think 3 uses would be fair as it only delays the inevitable. 

 

Third Suggestion - Telekinesis 

Maybe combining Three Perks could also work. You could combine Psychic with Slugger and Heavy Hitter to get a shotgun instead of the Flaregun. Using the same mechanics as the gun to fire a TK blasts at Jason. You wouldn’t get the original effects of the perks and instead get the ability to throw one Psychic stun. This may have a range limit, to balance it against the ability to stun Jason in rage. 

 

I think different combinations could could be used to give your Counselors other Psychic Powers, Clairvoyance for example (maybe using the unused picture of a Crystal Ball). I know these suggestions border on a Darin (call back to an old member) post but I think that maybe something can come out of it, thanks for reading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Slasher_Clone Very interesting... This could bring a "Tina like" character into the game without technically being "new content"... turning an existing counselor into a telekinetic or pyrokinetic protagonist. Everything here you are suggesting is technically in the game already, just used in a different way... but that new content thingy and license holder approval is always a slippery slope... and we know so very little about the conditions there of.

Pyrokinesis... I like it as is... But consider this... the pyrokinetic flare only stuns... after rage?... or close to high fear level for the counselor using it? Or both combined might even work better. Tina... and many other fictional characters with such powers needed to be in a heightened emotional state to even use their powers.
    Perhaps a legendary version of both required perks could double the length of time Jason is marked on the mini (and big) map... Once he is marked on the mini map, you can see exactly where he is on the big map if you stop to look after all. I would not go so far as to make the stun longer though... stuns are already quite long enough.
   Also... marking Jason on the map is extremely useful for many reasons... at least to other team mates that are trying to do something without having Jason show up instantly if they screw something up... Or give those dreaded "unavoidable warnings" such as car and boat start ups or even "mother's warning"... It is always nice to know that Jason just used a morph when attempting one of these things... But many people do not even take this into consideration.
   
Telekinetic Shield... I would put the same restriction on this... after rage? or close to high fear level? or both?... for the same reasons. And of course, no more of a stun than firecrackers normally do when he touches the shield... But I would also suggest that it be used automatically (but still needing an inventory slot and a recharge) when Jason tries to slash or grab the counselor... Just so players do not go running at Jason instead of away from him.
   Perhaps a legendary version of both required perks could even extend the shield to another counselor you are touching at the time of Jason's slash or grab... or are at least only a foot or two away from them... Just a thought to have an even more "powerful" telekinetic counselor without too much extra "power".

   I do not think you would need to give up a third perk spot for this though. It may be a bit overpowered... and many players would indeed move to these perks for obvious reasons... But giving up an inventory slot for the power usage would be enough in my opinion... Even having that slot needing to remain empty to charge up for its first use... and of course, with a timer for successive uses... leaving only the possibility of carrying only two items in your inventory.

   I only put the "after rage stunning" in there because it makes sense for building the "heightened emotional state". In my opinion, just so it makes more sense in consideration of the required "heightened emotional state"... and considering how overpowered this is... I would give it both requirements of Rage already being active and High fear being needed to active either power... This would also make for a good balance point for this with it being so over powered. If Jason grabs you before the telekinetic shield can activate... then you are still screwed without a pocket knife or someone to save you... and for the pyrokinesis... it would limit the number of possible uses and not make either of these an instant save every time Jason gets close to you.

   Just my thoughts... I can tell you really put some thought into this one... Damned good ideas in my opinion... Now we wait and see what others think about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Quote

First suggestion - Pyrokinesis

Pyro is another perk that isn’t useful, I know they expected people to use it for tracking and I do track Jason but it isn’t worth a slot. I can’t imagine it ever being worth a slot. Imagine taking Psychic and then having to select the type of psychic you wanted to be. So if you took Psychic and Pyro you’re Counselor would gain the ability to bring up a flare gun sight, and mentally fire a burst of fire like pyrokinesis. This would use the same mechanics as the flare gun and would make these perks fun. 

To balance it you’d only have till rage for it to be useful, and you’re giving up that third perk slot. I think 2 shots would be fair but maybe 1 every 3 minutes or something would be better

Damn these are cool ideas !

 I do think using perks that stack on each other to provide a type of power should have levels added to them and cool downs like Jasons abilities just slightly different...possibly tied to his Rage also?..

so pyro-kenesis could gradually build up as the match plays out and maximizes when Jason hits rage also........at first it could be a short burst and by the end of the match as far as the flare can reach.... I am on the fence thinking these abilities should have the ability to stun him in rage.

if the cool down is on a 3 or 4 minutes I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

 

Quote

Second Suggestion - Telekinetic Shield

Combining Psychic with the firecrackers perk could allow you to activate the firecrackers effect on your Counselors model, basically giving you a radius that can stun Jason pre-rage. This can be used to regain stamina or run at Jason to make him drop someone. I figure you’d get one or two uses and it would activate by holding the left trigger (L2) followed by a right trigger tap (R2) same as shooting a gun. You couldn’t be carrying something when activating it but the trade off is part of the balance. You still trade that third perk slot so no doubling up on Psychic Powers. I think 3 uses would be fair as it only delays the inevitable. 

Another great suggestion and I like it a lot, I also think it should come with levels and start with needing to be very close to Jason for it to work and by the time he hits Rage it has the the same range as the stun radius of perked up firecrackers...this is also an ability I think as long as the cool downs were timed right this could also be an ability that stuns in rage.

Quote

Third Suggestion - Telekinesis 

Maybe combining Three Perks could also work. You could combine Psychic with Slugger and Heavy Hitter to get a shotgun instead of the Flaregun. Using the same mechanics as the gun to fire a TK blasts at Jason. You wouldn’t get the original effects of the perks and instead get the ability to throw one Psychic stun. This may have a range limit, to balance it against the ability to stun Jason in rage.

I like this one too! I agree with the range limitations and it could start out needing to be very close to work and then by the time Rage hits it has the same range as an actual shotgun! Once again giving these powers cool downs will definitely be needed.... 

Quote

I think different combinations could could be used to give your Counselors other Psychic Powers, Clairvoyance for example (maybe using the unused picture of a Crystal Ball). I know these suggestions border on a Darin (call back to an old member) post but I think that maybe something can come out of it, thanks for reading.

This is far from a hell dogs/ black magic books to be investigated style idea buddy lol...

its a very cool 😎 idea allowing you to upgrade your existing characters into Tina/Carrie characters! Nice job slasher! 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Pyrokinesis... I like it as is... But consider this... the pyrokinetic flare only stuns... after rage?... or close to high fear level for the counselor using it? Or both combined might even work better. Tina... and many other fictional characters with such powers needed to be in a heightened emotional state to even use their powers.

I am a little shocked that you of all people would suggest this, then I read your logical argument for having it be a late game adjustment and I can see that this is probably the better way to go. It not only makes more sense but turns it into something that even if everyone ran it, wouldn’t be overpowered because most should be dead by rage. If they went with fear it would be pretty cool to, leans right into the psychic trope. 

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Also... marking Jason on the map is extremely useful for many reasons... at least to other team mates that are trying to do something without having Jason show up instantly if they screw something up... Or give those dreaded "unavoidable warnings" such as car and boat start ups or even "mother's warning"... It is always nice to know that Jason just used a morph when attempting one of these things... But many people do not even take this into consideration.

I think the marking him on the map could be how the Clairvoyant perk could work, combine it with the flare gun perk and instant far sight.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Telekinetic Shield... I would put the same restriction on this... after rage? or close to high fear level? or both?... for the same reasons. And of course, no more of a stun than firecrackers normally do when he touches the shield... But I would also suggest that it be used automatically (but still needing an inventory slot and a recharge) when Jason tries to slash or grab the counselor... Just so players do not go running at Jason instead of away from him.

I figured you’d give up you third perk slot but putting the picture in a quick use slot could be even better. It leaves them with one perk on top of the Shield and still requires activation but an easier prompt than what I put down. Also you’re not then restricted to having empty hands.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

I do not think you would need to give up a third perk spot for this though. It may be a bit overpowered... and many players would indeed move to these perks for obvious reasons... But giving up an inventory slot for the power usage would be enough in my opinion... Even having that slot needing to remain empty to charge up for its first use... and of course, with a timer for successive uses... leaving only the possibility of carrying only two items in your inventory

I knew I wasn’t thinking and needed some other minds, I was stuck on using the gun mechanics but they don’t make sense for this one.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Just my thoughts... I can tell you really put some thought into this one... Damned good ideas in my opinion... Now we wait and see what others think about it.

They’re appreciated, you’ve already made it a more viable idea. Thank you as well.

1 hour ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

I do think using perks that stack on each other to provide a type of power should have levels added to them and cool downs like Jasons abilities just slightly different...possibly tied to his Rage also?..

so pyro-kenesis could gradually build up as the match plays out and maximizes when Jason hits rage also........at first it could be a short burst and by the end of the match as far as the flare can reach.... I am on the fence thinking these abilities should have the ability to stun him in rage.

 if the cool down is on a 3 or 4 minutes I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

I think you and the Grand Admiral are right, late game makes it better. I kinda hope it’s tied to fear levels now, lol.

1 hour ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Another great suggestion and I like it a lot, I also think it should come with levels and start with needing to be very close to Jason for it to work and by the time he hits Rage it has the the same range as the stun radius of perked up firecrackers...this is also an ability I think as long as the cool downs were timed right this could also be an ability that stuns in rage.

I’m worried that letting this one stun in rage will lead to drive by stuns by a Vanessa, it would be awesome for that last little bit getting to the cops though.

Having a hard time getting it to quote properly so I’ll just write out my other thoughts. I figure TK will be the favourite, so I get liking it. It will certainly get Jason’s attention, cause once you blast him he knows you’re on cool down or out, lol. 

As for it not being a Darren post, who says I don’t have some black magic ideas and I’m just luring you all in with Psychics, 😝

Thank you, it’s nice that I got such genuine replies to a thread I thought would go mostly ignored. 

 

I’m sure there’s some emotes that could have appropriate hand gestures, if the pubs thought it was cool enough to warrant. I’d love to do the scanner thing with your hand at your temple, that would be cool.

Some thing else Wes said could also apply, he said no new character levels unless there was something for you to earn. Why not use these to increase the cap by another 50 levels, that way they wouldn’t flood the game all at once.

Going with this line of thinking I’d want Jason to not be left out, so I propose that he get the ability the cycle through his strengths and weaknesses, letting us unlock the ability to build you own Jason power set. As you unlocked them every five to ten levels, you basically get the ability to swap you first strength for any other strength except for one you already have, then you’ll earn the ability to swap you first Weakness till you got the ability to set them all. I know this is OP as all hell but as someone who enjoys running from Jason I like the idea of not knowing what he can do. Maybe some have restrictions but I’d rather not and see what meta develops.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Going with this line of thinking I’d want Jason to not be left out, so I propose that he get the ability the cycle through his strengths and weaknesses, letting us unlock the ability to build you own Jason power set. As you unlocked them every five to ten levels, you basically get the ability to swap you first strength for any other strength except for one you already have, then you’ll earn the ability to swap you first Weakness till you got the ability to set them all. I know this is OP as all hell but as someone who enjoys running from Jason I like the idea of not knowing what he can do. Maybe some have restrictions but I’d rather not and see what meta develops.

 

 

Ok, now you are just on a roll with great ideas !!

My brain just exploded 🤯 with the idea of a build your own Jason strength/weakness idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could also be changed to (Councilor can always see Jason on the mini map.) Plus a fear decrease. Minus speed decrease. And for legendary plus anti sense. That gives you a useful perk that is canon for Friday the 13th without being overpowered or skirt new content rules. Tina knew Jason was around the whole film and that's canon. We aren't going to get the physic hero we might have wanted but we can improve this perk in a way that pays homage to Tina and gets more use. @mattshotcha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

then we'll have a whole bunch of counselors shooting fireballs that know where Jason is the whole match... What's next spawning with the sweater? Having Tina Shepherd as a hero character is one thing but this is a bit too much.

Edited by F134Ever86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@F134Ever86   Tied together with high fear and an active rage on Jason... together with a cooldown (that should be at least as much as a neutral shift cooldown) and one less inventory item used for the power (and cooldown indicator)… and a limited number of uses... makes this far less overpowered than it would seem. Even if every player in a single match used it, very few of them would even get a chance to use it... let alone there would be absolutely no way to use the dreaded combination of medic + thick skin along with this. And it would be a severe restriction on any player using these "power perks" by limiting the use of other perks that can be much more useful early on in the match.

    Most players that use the medic and / or thick skin will not give these up even with something like this in game anyway...

    And as for myself... I find the map perk way too useful early on for knowing where to run that part I found after entering my first cabin... and to know which cabin does not have three other players swarming it before we have the mini map appear... which can save me those valuable first ten seconds or so. Using this perk (or any other fear resistance perk) along with these perks would be VERY detrimental to the use of these powers.
    And nerves of steel... I like to drive the vehicles... and nerves of steel is utterly invaluable for the driver of a car or a boat.
    Giving up either or both of these perks for me would force a major change is my playstyle... make it much harder to get a car going before Jason has an active shift... or the cops called in the first three minutes... and make it impossible to see Jason coming when driving a car when close to max fear... which can happen within two misses by Jason on the car... and each miss on the car by Jason usually forces the driver to move away in the opposite direction, prolonging the chase and his proximity alone raises fear level quickly to the point where you would lose the mini map... and that little map is also extremely helpful in keeping on the off road paths... one wrong turn in the forest and you are done for.
    And literally the ONLY reason I can juke Jason when driving the boat is my persistent mini map from the use of nerves of steel.

    Also... there are ways around these "powers" that any Jason could use... Such as, for the telekinetic shield... a throwing knife would put it into cooldown, leaving them open to a grab, a shift grab (with the in game archery physics, you can hit someone from much further away with a throwing knife than most people think is possible) or a few slashes. The shield should only protect the player from one attack form and not remain as a persistent shield at all.
    Myself, I would hit them with a throwing knife to make sure the shield is in cool down (if the player is even using it)... activate stalk, sense and morph ahead or to either side and hit them with a shift grab. I find a short range shift grab is much harder to pull off consistently anyway.
    In the end... this is not even as reliable as a pocket knife is... as long as the Jason player can use his head... and it would take two perk slots to use it... and one less inventory slot leaves less room for pocket knives and med sprays... particularly if you also want to carry keys.

   As for the pyrokinesis power... it is just like using a flare gun anyway. It would have the same restrictions as the shield (which are actually pretty severe when you look at all of them and think about it)... and it can still be easy to miss with it... but even a missed shot with a flare gun still "marks" Jason on the map. 
 

19 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

My brain just exploded

   You may need an ice cream scooper and a sponge to clean that up. It is also pretty difficult to put it back together in the exact way it was before said explosion... even with help.
 

14 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Councilor can always see Jason on the mini map.

   This alone is WAY too overpowered. You would not want to play as Jason against me if this were a thing. There would be MANY very low kill counts for you.

14 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Tina knew Jason was around the whole film and that's canon.

   She did not know he was around for the whole movie... He was still in the lake for the first fifteen or twenty minutes. After she "released" him... she still did not "know" he was there for a while... The "good" doctor did have her believing her "visions" were just hallucinations... She was questioning herself... and if you are questioning yourself, then you are not "sure" about that thing. But she did figure it out much quicker than anyone else (excluding his victims of course, but it is not like any of them got a chance to warn anyone).
 

19 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I am a little shocked that you of all people would suggest this, then I read your logical argument for having it be a late game adjustment and I can see that this is probably the better way to go.

   Logic is so.... logical.

19 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I think the marking him on the map could be how the Clairvoyant perk could work, combine it with the flare gun perk and instant far sight.

   As long as the "marking" of Jason does not last too long. As I stated already... having Jason on the map for too long is WAY too overpowered when playing against players that will use this information to avoid him instantly morphing on top of them... Jason needs his "chance" to make use of these warnings... and when we "know" he just used a morph every time he uses it, he has literally no chance to make use of the warnings.
   A clairvoyant power should be restricted to the user of the power and NOT mark Jason on anyone else's map... with a walkie, the player can still communicate his position anyway.

19 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I figured you’d give up you third perk slot but putting the picture in a quick use slot could be even better. It leaves them with one perk on top of the Shield and still requires activation but an easier prompt than what I put down. Also you’re not then restricted to having empty hands.

   With the extra restrictions I think that forcing "free hands" would just be too much of a penalty... but with high fear a requirement... not carrying a weapon would help bring fear on just a bit quicker... Active rage on Jason should be a requirement though... if these powers could be in use for pretty much the entire match... then they would be WAY too overpowered... and WAY too many people would be using it in every match.
   With a high fear restriction... using them on Jenny would be detrimental as her fear rises very slowly even without fear resistance perks... and Mitch with a 9 composure would be very similar in this respect. 
   Also, as I have already said... any fear resistance perks used with the two perks required for any of these powers would be very detrimental to how quickly you could use the powers.
   I also mentioned above (in this post) easy ways around the telekinetic shield that make it far less powerful right off the hop then most would think.

   Also... the burning of Kenny kill in single player challenges... if the fire effect is not tied to the Kenny model in the coding... perhaps it could be used on Jason when he is hit with a pyrokinetic flare... this would be a very cool added effect, for the brief time it would last... and the few times we would actually get to see it... which would not necessarily even happen in every match.

   With the suggested restrictions... that also keep it closer to "cannon" or even the "trope" of fictional characters with powers like this... it is not nearly as overpowered as it appears at first glance. It could add a "Tina like" character to the game with existing mechanics used in a different way... and still not become "meta perks"... as their usage would (and should) have severe restrictions and they are only useful after rage hits, which can be prolonged for quite some time if no one beats on that poor Jason fellow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mattshotcha Want to weigh in, I’d honestly like to know what you think of the thread, not as the community lead but as a gamer?

I don’t expect that this idea would be implemented but maybe something useful can come out of the thread if it’s mentioned to the right people. 

 

Another use for the Psychic perk that I do think is viable is allowing you to know a drawer has an item. Not what item is in the drawer necessarily, although a chance for the icon that already exists in game to pop up when you’re within about 5 feet of the drawer would make sense to give it scalability from common to legendary. 

I actually think all drawers should stay open after being opened and the icon should be visible to anyone when they’re close enough to interact with it. Much like how it works on the ground now. Why would the Counselors close drawers when Jason could be right outside?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 9:46 AM, Slasher_Clone said:

mattshotcha Want to weigh in, I’d honestly like to know what you think of the thread, not as the community lead but as a gamer?

Congratulations on the promotion. Lol btw what happened to all the other members? The list is looking awful short...

On 2/28/2019 at 12:14 AM, F134Ever86 said:

then we'll have a whole bunch of counselors shooting fireballs that know where Jason is the whole match... What's next spawning with the sweater? Having Tina Shepherd as a hero character is one thing but this is a bit too much.

^^this^^

On 2/27/2019 at 11:28 PM, Alien_Number_Six said:

It could also be changed to (Councilor can always see Jason on the mini map.) Plus a fear decrease. Minus speed decrease.

No

On 2/27/2019 at 11:28 PM, Alien_Number_Six said:

And for legendary plus anti sense.

A good way to throw off the +sense Jasons... I like this part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Somethin Cool said:

Congratulations on the promotion. Lol btw what happened to all the other members? The list is looking awful short...

On 2/28/2019 at 1:14 AM, F134Ever86 said:

I didn’t get promoted? Lol

The list at the bottom of the main page got shorter after the forum got updated, not sure why. Same number of people posting for the most part, some new people. 

I’d like to see psychics in camp, I get why other people wouldn’t but it would be less common than you think even if everybody ran it. You’re just worried that Jason isn’t going to get enough of an HP boost and your friends will psychic shotgun you to death, lol. 

It’s to bad because I’d like to see what tricks you’d come up with. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I’d like to see psychics in camp, I get why other people wouldn’t but it would be less common than you think even if everybody ran it. You’re just worried that Jason isn’t going to get enough of an HP boost and your friends will psychic shotgun you to death, lol. 

Pretty sure my friends wouldn't give up medic thick skin sucker punch or swift attack for anything. Not that I wouldn't try to find an interesting way to use a new psychic perk, but I doubt I'd switch mine up either. Guess I'm just not into a large selection. I honestly can't think of anything I would change as far as perks go...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...