I don’t know if there’s any tricks to finding the tapes. Maybe someone else knows one.

I was told when I first started playing that if you took Jason’s mask and put it in a drawer, you get a tape to spawn in the next match. I never tested it myself as it seemed like the sort of made up chore that someone would get a kick out of spreading as a rumour. I did try putting the mask in a drawer and that part works. You just need a full inventory and a drawer with something in it. Fun little experiment regardless of wether it adds tapes to the game. 

The only trick to finding tapes I know of is to play the game. During tape drop events, speed loot cabins as fast as you can and hope you beat someone else to the tape. If you have a friend that you can play private matches with, get them to be Jason and you counselor, then you will have no competition for finding the tapes. I found a few doing private matches with my son, but most of my completed tape collection came from just plain old dumb luck.

@CptZombieSteve I just found my last Tommy Tapes about a week ago... and it took FOREVER and a day, or so it seemed.
   The only tricks I can think to tell you...
   Watch for the bonus % to tape drop events... and when they happen... change your preference to counselor. We will find no tapes when playing Jason unfortunately... Then, loot as many drawers as you can...
    Sometimes, other players miss drawers... so just because a house was already looted, take the time and check it anyway... I have found several Tommy Tapes in cabins that were pre-looted... Some drawers can be easily missed or forgotten... and sometimes, Jason chased that counselor away before they could finish looting... And even rarer... but it still happens... the cabin was looted by someone that already has all the tapes and they cannot pick it up.
   Also... NEVER leave a match if you found a tape... it will not register as found unless you stay until the end of the match. I noticed this after finding a tape and the group host pulled out of the match for some reason... I cannot remember why he did that... But you can imagine my disappointment when I saw that the tape did not register.

Also... Welcome to the forums.

@Dragonfire82877's suggestion to use private matches can work as well... but it may still be better to wait for a tape drop event to try this one. The Tommy tapes are a very rare find.

Most of the Tommy tapes I found were during the events... I think I only found two of them outside of the events, including the final tape (which just happened to be #13).
   The Pamela tapes are fairly common when compared to the Tommy Tapes, at least... that is how it worked out for me.

@Slasher_Clone I remember reading about the mask in the drawer trick... but I never did try it. I am not sure it would even be taken into consideration when the next match's random spawns are being calculated.

12 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I remember reading about the mask in the drawer trick... but I never did try it. I am not sure it would even be taken into consideration when the next match's random spawns are being calculated.

I probably mentioned it last time this topic came up, it still gives me a chuckle just because the idea of finding the mask in the drawer appeals to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I probably mentioned it last time this topic came up, it still gives me a chuckle just because the idea of finding the mask in the drawer appeals to me.

Finding the mask in a drawer.... priceless.
   I wonder if a new player gets the "picking up Jason's mask" achievement if they find it in a drawer... or will the answer to this question drive us all insane?

• Haha 1