(This probably has been brought up in the past, but with a team looking to IMPROVE Jasons game, I figured I'd bring it up again)

As it stands now, Stalk stops the background music, the VHS effect, and silences Jasons footsteps.  @mattshotcha, would it at all be possible for the dev team to tweak Stalk so both Jason picking up throwing knives and setting traps are silent as well when Stalk is active?  Can't be sneaky when a small knife pulled from wood is so loud or laying a trap is so damn noticeable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, RustInPeace said:

(This probably has been brought up in the past, but with a team looking to IMPROVE Jasons game, I figured I'd bring it up again)

As it stands now, Stalk stops the background music, the VHS effect, and silences Jasons footsteps.  @mattshotcha, would it at all be possible for the dev team to tweak Stalk so both Jason picking up throwing knives and setting traps are silent as well when Stalk is active?  Can't be sneaky when a small knife pulled from wood is so loud or laying a trap is so damn noticeable.

Good suggestions in my opinion... I can never resist grabbing the throwing knives whenever or wherever I see them... But I am easily distracted by shiny things.
   I would also suggest Stalk also remove Jason from the counselor's mini map... at least if he is not in line of sight... and if not recently marked with a flare... But we would not want to take things... too far.

• Like 1

If you morph into an area with Stalk on does that it remove you from the minimap?  I've activated stalked, morphed to a close spot, and have been very successful in grabbing faster councelors with a follow up shift grab.  

Sometimes I get a satisfiying shriek from the player, so I assumed I was successfully jumpscaring them.

I just want stalk to have a longer duration... I don't care about switching Stalk to be his first ability. although, it would be nice but i understand why it wasn't done in the first place. 

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, shodan said:

If you morph into an area with Stalk on does that it remove you from the minimap?

Not if you have been "marked" and the time for being marked has not run out... I am not even sure how long a "mark" lasts for to tell the truth.
  Also... line of sight seems to be a deciding factor here as well (in stalk or not)... but it is not the whole issue. If you appear in line of sight for a counselor... whether you see them or not... you can appear on the mini map.... Try to stay out of line of sight from your intended target (which can be difficult if you are not sure of morph pin positions). This is much harder to pull off when morphing in front of a car.

I still have great success with cars though... I try to morph ahead of them... behind a cabin, or anything else that blocks line of sight for both me and the occupants of the car... yet within the range of a shift... and I use sense to keep an eye on their approach to my position... And I rarely miss the car... But it does happen now and again.

As a counselor driving a car... once you see Jason on the mini map, he rarely disappears... but that can easily be because he did not morph out of line of sight, whether for the driver or someone wandering close too where he morphed to... or just as easily for other reasons that are not clear to us... But as I said above... as Jason, I do very well when chasing cars... and I described what I do when I am most successful.
   I did ask Matt once about this and if he was allowed to tell us anything about how it works... but I took his lack of a response as a no, they are not going to tell us about it. So we are left to figure this one out on our own.... as I will not continue to "bug" him about it.

I have also been playing with friends.... and went into stalk outside of the cabin... no more counselors showed up on sense, and the two friends of mine were in the cabin with no chance to be in line of sight... and one of them told me... "I can still see you on the mini map." I also know I was not marked by a flare at this time... unless of course, someone was very sneaky about it and shot a flare into the air nearby and I did not notice it... as this will also mark you on the map... A flare never needed to hit Jason to "mark" him.... But perhaps... when "line of sight" puts him on the mini map... he stays there for a set amount of time after leaving line of sight as well.... I am not sure... but it seems to work this way.
   I always use stalk before morphing when it is available... and these points are my observations from that perspective... I could also be wrong about a couple points here... but just keeping these things in mind helps my game far more than if I ignore these points.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, shodan said:

Sometimes I get a satisfiying shriek from the player, so I assumed I was successfully jumpscaring them.

This is always a good indicator that you are doing your job (as Jason) VERY well.

1 hour ago, Vanessaismymain said:

although, it would be nice but i understand why it wasn't done in the first place. 

Without morph as a "first" ability.... the phone will be repaired and the cops called long before Jason ever had a chance to arrive to do anything about it... and / or one or more vehicle will already be repaired and moving before he stands even a slight chance of getting there to do anything about it.... So switching Stalk with the first ability is not a smart idea.
   Switching Stalk with sense... also useless... As Stalk is a roll of the dice (with a very small chance of success), if you cannot track the counselor with sense while using stalk. The ONLY successes I have ever had at using Stalk successfully without sense to help were literally "flukes"... and flukes are VERY rare in the first place.
   Shift... really Jason primary ability... it is heavily relied on by many Jason players... is quite frankly, a long enough wait already... switch Stalk with Shift, and there will be A LOT of unhappy Jason players with a perfectly legitimate reason to be unhappy.
   Stalk is really best used in conjunction with sense to find a target... morph to get ahead of them... and shift to grab them. This is the most common use I see that is actually successful, not just used by me... but by other players as Jason that I am up against... whether I see it personally, or watch it from spectate.

Stalk when waiting behind a building for someone to come around the building works great as well.... no shift or morph required... by sense, oh yes... if you cannot see them coming towards you while staying out of their line of sight... it is not going to work well for you. And you may find yourself waiting behind a building for a counselor that has turned around and went the other way. Sense is VERY important in conjunction with Stalk if you want ANY kind of consistent success with it.
    But you may also want to keep the points I mentioned to Shodan (above) in mind as well... knowing as much as you can about how stalk works will lead to more success with it.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:59 PM, RustInPeace said:

tweak Stalk so both Jason picking up throwing knives and setting traps are silent as well when Stalk is active?  Can't be sneaky when a small knife pulled from wood is so loud or laying a trap is so damn noticeable.

Sorry it took me so long to get to this thread, I have been thinking about these suggestions and can’t find anything to nix them. I used Stalk a few times and did both things but the Counselors were clearly using the noise to track me. I think the noises should be adjusted this way, it will increase the tension. (That first time I step in a trap, I’m going to regret it, lol.)

I wonder if we could get VHS static on the mini map during Stalk, not blocking everything just making tracking Jason more difficult. Rather than removing his diamond obscuring it and adding confusion. It’s not a great addition to the thread but it’s all I’ve managed to come up with.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

That first time I step in a trap, I’m going to regret it, lol.

I regret it every time I step into a bear trap... but I have learned to watch my step in certain situations at least... and... 
   Recently, I have taken to smashing down the door after seeing the trap through the window (I also generally smash every window on a cabin and gather any throwing knives that I happen on before starting on a door... keeping the counselor near Jason like this also raises their fear level rather quickly, even though he is on the other side of a wall)... and then walking away... only to smash down the other door (if I need to). Leaving the trap set in an open door has left me noticing fewer med sprays being used in front of me... It has also led to a few people giving others a hard time after the game in the lobby, but I correct them and take the blame for them falling into that trap... as that was my intention with this tactic. At least this tactic seems to be working.

22 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I wonder if we could get VHS static on the mini map during Stalk, not blocking everything just making tracking Jason more difficult. Rather than removing his diamond obscuring it and adding confusion. It’s not a great addition to the thread but it’s all I’ve managed to come up with.

This could also be a good idea... but it would have to effect everybody's mini map... which would be a dead giveaway that stalk is being used, but not where Jason is... If it only affected the mini map of counselors that are close to Jason, then the dead giveaway would also give away the fact that he is nearby in stalk. This could rob us of the already rare jump scares that we do manage to get... and also give a warning to someone who runs into the radius of this effect that they should turn back the way they came.
   But if it was used on everybody's mini map... then this would be way too overpowered... The mini map is essential to navigating the paths off road when driving the car, and just going into stalk would cause a great many "unnecessary accidents" to happen... and make cars WAY too easy to catch. It would also make the nerves of steel perk, or at least the keeping your mini map aspect of that perk... fairly useless as now Jason has the ability to rob you of its use. There are... as you know... many other helpful uses for the mini map too.
   If we had a better understanding of every aspect that keeps Jason on the mini map... that would go a long way towards helping with this. But as I said in one of the above posts... I asked about this already... I doubt we will ever receive a clear set of instructions... And completely removing him from the mini map would be WAY too much of a buff for Jason.

3 minutes ago, Ahab said:

If we had a better understanding of every aspect that keeps Jason on the mini map... that would go a long way towards helping with this. But as I said in one of the above posts... I asked about this already... I doubt we will ever receive a clear set of instructions... And completely removing him from the mini map would be WAY too much of a buff for Jason.

Stalks a tricky one, and the static thing really isn’t that great for the reasons you gave. This one is hard to come up with ideas for but I’ll keep digging around in my skull till I find something. 

1 hour ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Stalks a tricky one, and the static thing really isn’t that great for the reasons you gave. This one is hard to come up with ideas for but I’ll keep digging around in my skull till I find something. 

The answer is in there somewhere... just do not use any sharp objects when digging in your own skull... or other people's skulls for that matter... those things hurt.
    Let me know when you come up with something... always interested to read your ideas. 

@Slasher_Clone I really like your idea of a semi-scrambled mini map when Jason is in stalk. Though fear levels reduce its visibility as is, I think that could be a fun improvement with the tracking effect. However, is that going to fall under new content?

I think the biggest fix for Stalk is turning it into a toggle like Sense. After all, once you have broken through a door or hit it, they know you are there. No sense in having it on still. Recharge it quicker for next use. Be able to manage it a bit more.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good ideas @RustInPeace. I never noticed those sounds weren't muted during stalk.

@Ahab As far as the flare gun is concerned, I think if Jason is in stalk then gets hit by the flare, he should be marked. If he gets hit then uses stalk, he should vanish. Seems fair to me.

@Slasher_Clone

The scrambled mini map would let the counselor know Jason is nearby defeating the purpose of stalk.

On a side note I think it would be cool if you were in stalk and choosing a location to morph to, a decoy Jason would be deployed making counselors think Jason is in one spot when he could be anywhere. The decoy would vanish if hit and upon morph.

@Slasher_Clone what I had in mind regarding Jason's echo as you put it, is to keep it simple. He would just be standing there heaving and giving the death stare.  I think it could work well in psyching counselors out. Think of part 8 when Renny crashed the police car. @Ahab this would also work well with shift, great idea!

Edited by F134Ever86
  • Confused 1

On 2/25/2019 at 12:59 PM, RustInPeace said:

what we realy need is for ppl with headsets to be able to hear jason from 2 miles away  and heer him walk outside the lil houses cuz right now its broke some jasons use a trick to make the audio stop on everything 

2 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

As far as the flare gun is concerned, I think if Jason is in stalk then gets hit by the flare, he should be marked. If he gets hit then uses stalk, he should vanish. Seems fair to me.

Whether in stalk or not... the flare is not required to hit him for it to mark him... and if someone sees him in stalk to shoot him, then he should indeed be marked. As it is now, you can fire a flare gun into the air without seeing him on your screen at all and it will mark him (that has been there since day one but no one uses it that way anymore)... but perhaps it should require a hit to mark him while he is in stalk... or the mark should reveal itself when his stalk ends if its time is not up?
    I personally like the idea that stalk would cancel the mark of a flare gun... most people do not seem to pay attention to him being marked on the map at all in the first place... But I use it... and I have found that Jason being marked on the map can help in many ways... But removing him from the mini map in too many instances is a bad idea... in my opinion.

Also... under certain circumstances... I do not think stalk should remove him from the mini map... The boat comes to mind here. Most people feel the boat is a death trap as it is now, but in many instances, I have been able to get around Jason in the water and leave him behind me... and escaped. This is ONLY possible because the driver of the boat can see Jason on the mini map... Removing Jason from the mini map here would most definitely turn it into a death trap every time Jason manages to morph ahead of the boat.
   I have even done this to +Water speed Jason variants... although each time this has happened (with +Water Speed variants), it is 'situational"... and very rare against these fast water speed variants. The last time I did this was fairly recently, on the Pinehurst map against a Part 8. I was coming up to the bridge with a support under it. Jason went through to my right, so I went to my left... and took the left turn towards the exit. The Jason player got stuck on the bridge support as he turned around, which put him just far enough behind me to allow the escape.... But if the exit had been even ten feet further away, he definitely would have got me that time... It was an EXTREMELY close call. The noob that was with me thought this was the greatest escape in history.
   A neutral water speed Jason is not faster than the boat, even if the driver is not using boat speed perks... As long as you get him behind you... you WILL escape. The only exception to this is against a Part 2... his +Morph does give him a second chance to morph ahead of the boat a second time... IF he morphed to the boat early enough the first time.

On a side note I think it would be cool if you were in stalk and choosing a location to morph to, a decoy Jason would be deployed making counselors think Jason is in one spot when he could be anywhere. The decoy would vanish if hit and upon morph.

This would make it hard to tell Jason just morphed... I like it. It is easy to tell when he is morphing if you can see him... and this could give a couple vital extra seconds before someone else gets the warning that Jason just morphed away from the player that witnessed it.
   Something like this could also be used when Jason shifts... to hide the fact that he just went into a shift... It is not like new content would be needed.

Even though I like this idea... I think this may also be a bit too much. It would also make it much harder to spot an infinite morph / infinite shift hacker that is not just spamming the powers.

@TheHansonGoons Your idea for a toggle on Stalk makes perfect sense to me... Just being able to manage it a bit more as you suggest would make it far more useful... I like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

However, is that going to fall under new content?

It shouldn’t, as Matt explained it in another thread it would be seen as balancing or a UI change. It should definitely be toggle like Sense and not fully drain when you drop it. So if they do modify it, I’d like to see this as well. 

The scrambled mini map would let the counselor know Jason is nearby defeating the purpose of stalk.

Unless everyone’s mini map did it or it was a Fear effect that only happened when fear hit a certain level. If enough uncertainty was added to the mechanic, it would make it slightly more useful as it’s one more thing to keep track of and distract you, if you’re not careful.

The static could even flicker on randomly after Jason unlocks Stalk, it doesn’t have to be tied to the power being on. 

On a different note, you mentioned an echo of Jason lingering after he Morphs and I think that’s an interesting idea, I wish we could play test stuff as I think you’d need to get this one right so it doesn’t seem silly. Having the echo do whatever your Jason does, walk or swing for a few seconds after he leaves then fade out could look cool too. Like a hallucination from the movies. 

• Like 1