I was inspired by a member earlier. I know we all love to eat something special, but how many of you can cook something special? What is it?

I make pretty satisfying biscuits (Southern-American puck-shaped bread item), and even passed my technique along to @Cokeyskunk.

He, in turn, helped me up my popcorn game, though through a convoluted series of events that can be summarized as "my memory is garbage", I actually attempted to feed his own tip back to him, weeks later.

I have also cracked the code to a variety of breakfast potato dishes (though I haven't figured out how to prevent my house from smelling like a Waffle House afterwards).

I smoke up a mean pork shoulder, but I don't consider my approach to be 'perfected', yet.

There's more... I'll hold onto it for later.

Sorry. @Fair Play awakened a sleeping giant. I've been waiting for a cooking discussion to start up around here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I make pretty satisfying biscuits (Southern-American puck-shaped bread item), and even passed my technique along to @Cokeyskunk.

He, in turn, helped me up my popcorn game, though through a convoluted series of events that can be summarized as "my memory is garbage", I actually attempted to feed his own tip back to him, weeks later.

I have also cracked the code to a variety of breakfast potato dishes (though I haven't figured out how to prevent my house from smelling like a Waffle House afterwards).

I smoke up a mean pork shoulder, but I don't consider my approach to be 'perfected', yet.

There's more... I'll hold onto it for later.

Sorry. @Fair Play awakened a sleeping giant. I've been waiting for a cooking discussion to start up around here.

I tried smoking an enormous (8lb) pork shoulder this weekend. It was good, but I was only able to get it about 3 hours of smoke time, so there was no bark at all. I typically cryovac and freeze these things after the bark forms to thaw and put in the crock pot later. But there was really only a hint of smokiness in this effort. Not my best work, sadly.

• Like 1

@NthnButAGoodTime I've never had South American style biscuits. It sounds very tasty.

I've been wanting to start a cooking topic for a while now. You can thank @OCT 31 1978 for the inspiration.

My own home constantly smells like some restaurant. Lately, there's been a lot of Italian cooking going on.

I'm full of conversation pieces. If you want a good topic started, I'm your counselor. 😎

@Cokeyskunk, if you take another stab at that technique, let us know how it turns out for you. I'm intrigued.

@F134Ever86, I've had chile rellenos only once. I'd open to trying them again in the future.

@badassgixxer05, my wife does about 70% of the cooking. I cook well enough to do the other 30%. My daughters have taken after her and most can cook close to her level.

Boxed mac & cheese is still one of the best things ever made.

• Haha 1

@Fair Play glad I could add a little inspiration lol! You definitely have great ideas for conversations!!! I am also definitely serious about that lasagna!😉  

As for my signature dish I make a mean slow roasted Prime rib with Cajun spices!! Soooooo good!

Just now, OCT 31 1978 said:

@Fair Play glad I could add a little inspiration lol! You definitely have great ideas for conversations!!! I am also definitely serious about that lasagna!😉  

As for my signature dish I make a mean slow roasted Prime rib with Cajun spices!! Soooooo good!

That sounds tasty. I bet it's loaded with flavor.

10 minutes ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

I can make some mean scrambled eggs. Besides that, my wife does all the cooking.

I love a good batch of scrambled eggs. Make sure to bring some for the next campfire. 😎

@OCT 31 1978, I'll hook you up with that lasagna at the campfire as well.

I once offered to give my ex wife breakfast in bed. Her response? "Don't threaten me."

I personally think I make decent stew, but it's hard to fuck up in a crock pot.

I also make decent cheesy potatoes.

• Haha 1

@Fair Play Ha! I found it.... and now I am hungry again.

Although I can cook fairly well... it is the inevitable mess and too many extra dishes that keeps me from cooking much at all.
   A goulash in a crock pot with no set recipe or ingredients generally comes out pretty well... I just use ingredients that I like, they are always good mixed up together, as long as everything in there is something I like. As a base... I generally use mushroom soup... but that is just me... whatever kind of base you feel like at the time is always the best to use at that time. Changing up the meat... or using two or more types of meat... noodles are generally noodles... but, just to change it up... sometimes I do not bother with the noodles. Noodles are just "filler" anyway. Different types of veggies every time in differing amounts every time... and whatever spices I feel would be different than the last meal.
   And garlic... you can never have too much garlic. Its good for the blood and is proven to keep vampires away... I have always liked garlic and use it often, and have never once seen a vampire... hence, it works.

Being I do not like the massive amount of dishes from cooking... I generally stick to what I call... "adventures in sandwiches". Using the same insane and unorganized method of changing everything up every time... and keeping in mind that "toasted tastes better"... Two or more kinds of meat... differing only as to what you "feel like" using at the time, but differing combinations is always good. Layered with different types of mustard, mayo and as many types of relish as you can get on there without making it too messy... it is going to be messy anyway... lettuce... or no lettuce... and sometimes in place of lettuce, I just throw some coleslaw on there in its place... Cheese.. or no cheese... or a different type of cheese between each different type of meat.
   Types of relish I like to rotate through include fruit relish, zucchini relish, corn relish, tangy dill relish... and I am sure there are others I am just not thinking of... Multiple types of relish on a sandwich is good... but keep in mind it gets messy with the more you use... At times I have even used salad dressing on a sandwich as a condiment... Italian is my personal choice... or thousand islands, which I find closely resembles "secret sauce" from a certain fast food chain.
   Any type of cold meat you like... still tastes good together when multiples are used... and even a layer of scrambled eggs... or just a fried egg in there is nice sometimes as well.
   Tomatoes and pickles... cutting these up for sandwiches reeks of effort... so I will generally take a small bite of a pickle, or a cherry tomato along with a bite of the sandwich... it works out the same as actually putting it on the sandwich... and like my grandmother used to say... "It all goes to the same place anyway."
   Just keep in mind... This type of sandwich does get messy (I cannot stress the messy part enough)... and you have to keep the size limited to something you can get your mouth around to get a bite out of it... but your only limitations here are your imagination... and the ingredients you have at hand.
   Sub buns work well when doing this... but any other type of bun, or just regular bread (or what ever type of beard you feel like) can be used to keep things different.

Mixing ingredients this way with no set recipe works well... for anything that requires multiple ingredients. The only consideration required is that the person eating it actually likes each of the ingredients that are used.

Also... to keep the dreaded dishes to a minimum... Meat... potatoes and veggies all cooked on the barbeque. Cut up potatoes in a layer of tin foil coated in butter... and veggies done the same way... I am a big fan of butter on potatoes and veggies. The fewer dishes I have to do... the greater chances I have of keeping what little sanity I have left.

19 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

I once offered to give my ex wife breakfast in bed. Her response? "Don't threaten me."

That... is simply hilarious.
   One day... I am going to steal... I mean "borrow" this joke... I just need the proper "circumstances" to use it.

FOOD FIGHT!!

IMG_20190223_115307.jpg

3 egg omelette filled with 4 strips of 🥓, beef sausage and cheddar cheese. Topped with Mexican sour cream and guac, served on a bed of green leaf lettuce.

Edited by F134Ever86

@Risinggrave, I could tell you tales of people who have issues cooking with a crock pot. What kind of cheese do you put in those potatoes?

@Ahab, the sandwich is the simplest, yet diverse meal options around. I've had at least 200 different variations of sandwiches in my time. A good roast beef is a personal favorite.

@F134Ever86, I live for omelettes. I was practically raised on them.

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

That... is simply hilarious.
   One day... I am going to steal... I mean "borrow" this joke... I just need the proper "circumstances" to use it.

I find it to be probably my favorite anecdote concerning her. 

1 hour ago, Fair Play said:

@Risinggrave, I could tell you tales of people who have issues cooking with a crock pot. What kind of cheese do you put in those potatoes?

Simple really. I boil the potatoes until cooked, then i put them in a tupperware bowl, toss in some butter, Mexican four cheese (Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero) and spices (a bit of Mrs Dash) and mash/mix them into the consistency I want. 

2 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Simple really. I boil the potatoes until cooked, then i put them in a tupperware bowl, toss in some butter, Mexican four cheese (Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero) and spices (a bit of Mrs Dash) and mash/mix them into the consistency I want. 

Simple, effective, and it sounds quite tasty.