HaHaTrumpWon

If you could only give one piece of advice to new Jason's, what would it be?

Suppose a brand-new Jason asked you for help with improving their gameplay, but you could only give them one single tip. What would yours be? 

Mine would have to be, "Be unpredictable".

traps are your best friend I set all my traps phone,car/s boat, before I even start pursuing counselors gives everyone a chance to get going and allows my special abilities to develop. I normally dont go after anyone till my shift pops up. If they happen across me Ill snatch them but I wont pursue them much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SouthernMan said:

traps are your best friend I set all my traps phone,car/s boat, before I even start pursuing counselors gives everyone a chance to get going and allows my special abilities to develop. I normally dont go after anyone till my shift pops up. If they happen across me Ill snatch them but I wont pursue them much.

This^

The best advice I could give Jason players beyond honing their skills in offline bot mode is this...

Play lots of counselor matches.

Playing Jason well is almost exclusively about predicting counselor behavior. 

-Is this Vanessa trying to bait me away from an objective? (Probably.)

-I see a sound ping near the phone house; are they taking the fuse there?

-This Buggzy with a machete seems eager to fight and isn't afraid to die... a telltale sign of a kill squad. (He's trying to get his licks in and die so he can come back as Tommy.)

You have to understand what counselors are trying to do before you can become truly effective at stopping them. For less skilled counselors, this is relatively easy. But when you face more experienced players you're going to have to think critically and analyze their behavior...and that behavior is only going to make sense to you if you've played lots of counselor matches and have an idea of how they play.

That's my .02 anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MisterMatt91 said:

Trap the phone!

Heck, trap any objective! I feel bad for new Jason's trying to stop objectives without trapping. Its way too easy to escape, due to lack of Jason skill level let alone no deterrence from fixing shit. Game is wide open for the taking.. Use your traps noobies! 😀

7 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Suppose a brand-new Jason asked you for help with improving their gameplay, but you could only give them one single tip. What would yours be? 

Funny enough, new players are for the most part unpredictable. They usually play the game far and away from the meta. Makes things interesting..

41 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

The best advice I could give Jason players beyond honing their skills in offline bot mode is this...

Play lots of counselor matches.

Playing Jason well is almost exclusively about predicting counselor behavior. 

-Is this Vanessa trying to bait me away from an objective? (Probably.)

-I see a sound ping near the phone house; are they taking the fuse there?

-This Buggzy with a machete seems eager to fight and isn't afraid to die... a telltale sign of a kill squad. (He's trying to get his licks in and die so he can come back as Tommy.)

You have to understand what counselors are trying to do before you can become truly effective at stopping them. For less skilled counselors, this is relatively easy. But when you face more experienced players you're going to have to think critically and analyze their behavior...and that behavior is only going to make sense to you if you've played lots of counselor matches and have an idea of how they play.

That's my .02 anyway.

This is what I'd say as well. 

Knowing what is going on and putting a stop to it is the single best way to get your kills. Even beyond the counselors, if you play with a regular group, get to know the habits of the players as well. (With that, if you can, as a counselor get well rounded so you keep Jason guessing.) 

Since Joe hit what I'd say, I'm gonna add my own two coppers. 

Don't be afraid to lose an objective if it comes down to it. 

Jason holds most of the power, but he can't be everywhere. It's his biggest weakness. If splitting your energy between objectives risks a larger one, let the smaller go. 

If I'm going to give only one piece of advice I'd have to say be patient. Take your time and wear them down. 

43 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

This Buggzy with a machete seems eager to fight and isn't afraid to die... a telltale sign of a kill squad. (He's trying to get his licks in and die so he can come back as Tommy.)

In most cases you'd be correct. Though there will be those times where people just want the demask. I know I've done it not caring if I get the kill or not.

After giving it some thought, I think a better piece of advice  would be "Don't forget, it's just a game".

• Like 3

Don’t be in a hurry. You’ll clear the lobby once rage hits. Well, what’s left of the lobby because it seems like half the lobby leaves once rage hits.

I was going to say be patient but as that’s been covered along with traps and honing your skills against bots. Instead I’ll suggest learning to read sound blips, this is most useful when you know where your shack is relative to your position on the map. You can keep an eye on it whenever you have a second. Check your map, disabled traps have a small diamond in the centre, if you didn’t hear it go off then there’s one less Pk (pocket knife) in the match. 

Don’t chase the Counselors who want to be chased, Jason decides when people die not them. Don’t waste five minutes you don’t have to, save that person for last. They’ll find it a lot harder to get away after you’ve smashed half the doors and windows. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Don't be afraid to chop to death rather than grab.

And enjoy the whining that follows because someone had 2 pocket-knives and didn't get a chance to use them.

• Like 2

My advice to a Jason player would be try to anticipate a counselors next move....will they fight ....run to or dive into a cabin or out a window .....

And planning before it happens can help a Jason player be more successful.

Don’t worry about trying to clear the board and just have fun. 

• Like 1

Watch your objectives like a hawk, but start by killing power boxes. I say this because eliminating the possibility of there ever being a Tommy has a lot of benefits. Sometimes you may get lucky and the Tommy cabin has the power box right there on it. Trap it!

Have a sliding scale for success.

There's no shame in not wiping out every lobby you come across. Sometimes you only get 4 or 5 out of 7 and a couple of people escape while you're chasing down someone else. Sometimes a great match is simply not dying against a coordinated kill squad. I had a match last night against one of those and I was happy to get a 3/7 before going down.

Understand how the match is playing out, and adjust accordingly so you can do the best you can in that given match. It's kind of like football -- sometimes you score a touchdown or win 35-3, sometimes you punt eight times in a row and lose 35-3. The good thing is, the next game is only a few minutes away.

Be relentless. Force them to play your game, not them baiting you into their's. Make them work, constantly, and wear them down. Don't get frustrated and stop moving, giving them time to recharge stamina. Even if they appear to be besting you, the key, they are still burning stamina to move. Stay on them. Smother them. Choose a Jason with +Destruction (Part 4, 8, Savini*) so you can slice through barricaded doors in seconds. If you're chasing someone who is good at avoiding shift-grab, stay in shift the entire time and circle them so they'll keep running. Don't come out of it quick and chance missing them. It isn't worth sacrificing the stamina you make them burn by frantically running around like a headless chicken while they wait for you to reappear.

Smash all the power generators immediately. Raises fear; faster stamina drain/slower recovery (may avoid Tommy).

Pick up knives every where you see them. Never pass one up. This is my lone exception in never stopping. Window trolls are sitting ducks every single time. Make them pay with a knife and ALWAYS break the window. And, very important; use offline bots to practice grabbing counselors as soon as they begin to swing their weapon at you. This will be the difference-maker in you getting kited or smashing them after one wear-down. A good kite'r who has exhausted their stamina will wait for the perfect moment to swing on you to refill a chunk of it so they can begin the process again. Never, ever give them that shot. Snatch'em up mid-swing and dispatch them.

Also, practice using morph with offline bots. When a counselor is running from you, go to sense to light them up and observe the direction they're running in, while also observing if they're running full speed and not stopping. If they're running hard, hang back for a few seconds and let them burn that extra energy, thinking they're getting away from you. Then, while facing them, go to morph and select a spot on the map that is an inch or two in the direction your icon arrow is pointing (timing will improve with practice). You'll drop in right near them and force them to keep moving.

So many ways to rope-a-dope counselors. Even the cagey ones whose sole mission is to cause you as many problems as possible while their teammates focus on objectives. No matter how skilled they are in avoiding being grabbed/melee'd, every single counselor has the same common denominator; stamina. Take it away from them and they're as good as dead.

Lastly; prioritize who you pursue first, always focusing on the counselors with high repair stats. None of them can run very far without being gassed and are typically the easiest ones to pick off. Clear the room of those and suddenly you have a bunch of run-happy jocks who can't fix anything without you knowing about it. Party time...

Keep cool. It can be disheartening to keep missing your grabs, or for seemingly every counsellor hit to stun you. It happens. Keep going and you'll eventually learn what needs to be done, or learn how to counter attacks, or learn how to prevent escapes.

7 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

Pick up knives every where you see them. Never pass one up. This is my lone exception in never stopping.

This is also my lone exception to stopping... Throwing knives are Jason's best tool in my opinion, and you can never have enough of them... It is easy, however, to waste too much time collecting them if counselors are pushing objectives early... and there are never enough on the map... But I will break off any and every chase to pick up another to add to my collection as I am easily distracted by shiny things.
   You have a lot of good advice there... I could not have said it better.

22 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Heck, trap any objective! I feel bad for new Jason's trying to stop objectives without trapping. Its way too easy to escape, due to lack of Jason skill level let alone no deterrence from fixing shit. Game is wide open for the taking.. Use your traps noobies! 😀

As you may have noticed in our games together... I only ever trap the fuse box as Jason. Until I stop a car, then I will trap the driver's door.
   But I am almost always playing the dreaded -Trap Jasons… and cannot afford to be wasteful with them. It has become such a habit... I still do not use more than three traps even if I play Part 2.
   This is how I got my practice in at stopping cars... by making them a "preferred" objective. Best way to practice something is to do it as often as possible... and when I was a noob, I found catching the car to be very difficult... It is even harder to catch the car it if it is started when half way (or more) to the exit already... so I save my traps for just such an emergency.

My most frequently given advice to new Jason players is to try offline bots just to get used to what Jason's abilities can do... And stick around to spectate... Watching other players that know what they are doing is a great way to learn... and learning what the counselors are up to helps you with both sides of play.

11 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

Be relentless. Force them to play your game, not them baiting you into their's. Make them work, constantly, and wear them down. Don't get frustrated and stop moving, giving them time to recharge stamina. Even if they appear to be besting you, the key, they are still burning stamina to move. Stay on them. Smother them. Choose a Jason with +Destruction (Part 4, 8, Savini*) so you can slice through barricaded doors in seconds. If you're chasing someone who is good at avoiding shift-grab, stay in shift the entire time and circle them so they'll keep running. Don't come out of it quick and chance missing them. It isn't worth sacrificing the stamina you make them burn by frantically running around like a headless chicken while they wait for you to reappear.

Smash all the power generators immediately. Raises fear; faster stamina drain/slower recovery (may avoid Tommy).

Pick up knives every where you see them. Never pass one up. This is my lone exception in never stopping. Window trolls are sitting ducks every single time. Make them pay with a knife and ALWAYS break the window. And, very important; use offline bots to practice grabbing counselors as soon as they begin to swing their weapon at you. This will be the difference-maker in you getting kited or smashing them after one wear-down. A good kite'r who has exhausted their stamina will wait for the perfect moment to swing on you to refill a chunk of it so they can begin the process again. Never, ever give them that shot. Snatch'em up mid-swing and dispatch them.

Also, practice using morph with offline bots. When a counselor is running from you, go to sense to light them up and observe the direction they're running in, while also observing if they're running full speed and not stopping. If they're running hard, hang back for a few seconds and let them burn that extra energy, thinking they're getting away from you. Then, while facing them, go to morph and select a spot on the map that is an inch or two in the direction your icon arrow is pointing (timing will improve with practice). You'll drop in right near them and force them to keep moving.

So many ways to rope-a-dope counselors. Even the cagey ones whose sole mission is to cause you as many problems as possible while their teammates focus on objectives. No matter how skilled they are in avoiding being grabbed/melee'd, every single counselor has the same common denominator; stamina. Take it away from them and they're as good as dead.

Lastly; prioritize who you pursue first, always focusing on the counselors with high repair stats. None of them can run very far without being gassed and are typically the easiest ones to pick off. Clear the room of those and suddenly you have a bunch of run-happy jocks who can't fix anything without you knowing about it. Party time...

That is way more than "only one". Still good advice though.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:08 AM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

This is the key to fun and exciting matches.

On 2/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

After giving it some thought, I think a better piece of advice  would be "Don't forget, it's just a game".

That's more common sense than advice.

5 hours ago, Ahab said:

As you may have noticed in our games together... I only ever trap the fuse box as Jason. Until I stop a car, then I will trap the driver's door.
   But I am almost always playing the dreaded -Trap Jasons… and cannot afford to be wasteful with them. It has become such a habit... I still do not use more than three traps even if I play Part 2.
   This is how I got my practice in at stopping cars... by making them a "preferred" objective. Best way to practice something is to do it as often as possible... and when I was a noob, I found catching the car to be very difficult... It is even harder to catch the car it if it is started when half way (or more) to the exit already... so I save my traps for just such an emergency.

Yes, -trap Jasons are tuff in this way, so I would prob tell a new Jason to try to stay away from them. In the 3 games in a row you were Jason, I got the car going all 3 times, the first time i drove like an idiot into a tree and you hacked my ass up.  😂 The other 2 I got the Jump and got away. I think in both those matches the 2nd car got started also, so always helps. 😁

Don’t waste traps for trapping 1 counselor in a cabin it’s easily readable and I bolt out the front door as he’s setting it. And it’s just kind of a cheap move anyway. It’s more effective trapping all of the objectives instead