Sign in to follow this  
Shadesofjoe

Suggested Changes to Counselor Play

After playing this most recent patch for a bit, I feel like there's still some room for tweaking to make Jason more of a threat for the whole game rather than just in a post-rage state. Here are three changes I believe deserve some thought.

1) The phone fuse box should be able to spawn at any house. Those of us who have been playing since day one know all the possible locations for the fuse box on every map. There are several maps where you can simply look at the cabin layout the second the match starts and determine which house has the fuse box. Having this information almost immediately available is extremely advantageous for counselors. Adding more randomness to the fuse box location means that counselors will have to spend more time looking for it. Add in the extra variance of there being a nonzero chance the first counselor who finds the box doesn't have a walkie-talkie yet, and you've inherently lengthened the game... which is to Jason's advantage. 

2) Part distribution needs to be less forgiving. The Jarvis House and Pinehurst maps already do this well to a degree. But when it comes to the original three maps, we all know that parts are always near their respective objectives. It's time to change things up. Imagine a game on Higgins Haven where the fuse box is in Blair's Cove but the fuse itself is in the northernmost house in Evergreen Camp. This is an extreme example, perhaps, but it shows the potential of how such a change could impact game play. Simply put--it needs to take more effort for counselors to repair objectives and this is the simplest way to accomplish that. Experienced teams who know how to split Jason between objectives can have the phone/car repaired in 3-4 minutes on Crystal Lake, Higgins Haven, and Packanack. 

3) Thick-skinned should only apply to combat damage. As things currently stand, traps are very weak. Counselors with thick-skinned and medic can tank them with absolutely no consequences. Once upon a time, traps were changed so that they put you in the limping state immediately, but thick-skinned gets around this. It's the same problem with window hopping. Jason can break all the windows in a cluster of houses, but if a counselor has thick-skinned and medic, they can effectively kite between cabins for several minutes--especially if one of them has the long table. Changing thick-skinned to only reduce combat damage eliminates both of these problems but still allows the perk to be useful for counselors who want to get in the mix for the kill, or those who want to antagonize Jason pre-rage so that others can complete objectives. 

The best thing about all of these changes is that they all help Jason to some degree, but you don't have to make any change to Jason himself to implement them. I was able to get attention from @wes during the stream about the fuse box change and he seemed to think it was a good idea. Maybe @mattshotcha can help these other suggestions get some traction and see what the powers that be think of them?

• Like 1

I like you’re ideas but would prefer if they don’t change Thick Skin. Don’t get me wrong the suggestion that beartraps reduce you to limping is a good one but I mostly use it for windows so find that change a bit far. As for randomness, I think a single objective part should be able to spawn in the front room of the shack. This won’t give Jason Mothers warning if it’s collected but would make a player venture into the lions den, so to speak. 

Yes to all of these.  And all this "balance" talk that goes on around here should apply to counselors and the perks they can use together, like what you touched on with #3.  Something like equipping one kind of perk would block certain other ones that tend to take the tension out of gameplay by being paired with others.

I would add there should more means to distract Jason than just the radios.

The counsellors should have more chances to play like stealthy ninjas.

@Shadesofjoe Some interesting ideas...
1: If the fuse box could spawn at any house or cabin on any map... but the fuse still spawned only two houses away... we still have the same issue. Even just forcing the fuse (or parts for that matter) to spawn a bit further away from the objective could help with this too.

2: I have also noticed that (sometimes) parts do seem to spawn further away on Jarvis and Pinehurst, but the fuse still tends to spawn pretty close to the phone house. More diversity to spawn points would be a good thing... at least one of the required parts has to spawn more than two cabins away from it?

3: I am not a fan of thick skin from either side of play... Nerf away, but expect a river of tears if any negative change is made.

20 hours ago, RustInPeace said:

Something like equipping one kind of perk would block certain other ones

Also a great idea... but many will cry. Take away my no-fear build and I may even shed a tear for bygone days. Other builds would be utterly useless if blocked in this way as well... such as a sense avoidance build.

19 hours ago, KenshiroHNK said:

I would add there should more means to distract Jason than just the radios.

Interesting… not against this at all. But beyond setting off firecrackers... is there anything else in game that would make sense to use as a distraction in this way? It cannot be done with something new.

19 hours ago, KenshiroHNK said:

The counsellors should have more chances to play like stealthy ninjas.

I know quite a few players that use the existing stealth system extremely well... They know how it works and have the patience to use it properly. They were always next to impossible to find before rage unless I lucked out and morphed within sense range of them. With sense avoidance perks, I also have a hell of a time finding them after rage... but at least it is still possible to find them.

The biggest problem I see with stealth is Jason being put into rage early. Rage was always the biggest threat to a stealthy player with its increased sense range... and this has not changed with the new patch either... But a good stealthy player is escaping before rage anyway. Stealth was never meant to make you 100% undetectable, nor should we be able to use it consistently to run out the clock by hiding in a corner... Like any other aspect of the game... if you know how to use it properly then it can be a huge help... but nothing should be a guarantee.
   Stealth and sense avoidance perks not giving a guaranteed chance to run out the clock is why many players stop using them and ask for it to be buffed... Nothing should be guaranteed... Even a frickin' ninja has to work at going undetected to remain undetected and they can make mistakes too... and the counselors are not trained to be invisible ninjas from birth or at all for that matter... and no amount of perks should give them a guaranteed chance to hide in a corner and good completely unnoticed until the time runs out.
   Using stealth also takes patience... which VERY few people have much of. You cannot just run around willy nilly and expect that you will avoid detection until the time runs out... Also, Jason will sometimes get lucky... if he sees you... then being stealthy has failed. If he notices you are running sense avoidance perks by seeing you with sense on and you are not glowing... then you just made yourself a priority target.

• Thanks 1

More random spawning of parts I'm good with. Not Pinehurst or Jarvis levels. But an increase would be good.

Not a fan of nerfing thickskin. Nobody will be tanking traps if it insta limps them.

While some combinations can be annoying I dislike the idea of limiting perk combos. I generally am against limiting peoples options. Though it's fair to say people usually limit them on their own.

I like the parts idea but not nerfing thick skin. People have that as a perk to get full use out of it. Otherwise what’s the point?