How do you feel about this patch?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this patch?

• I like it as it is. Jason's back!
    • It's not bad. One or two adjustments need to be made.
    • It could be better. The counselors are really hurting at the moment.
    • It sucks. Survival is next to impossible.
    • Meh, I don't care either way.

I'll move this into the feedback section as it's better suited there than off-topic.

As for my personal feedback, I really like the changes to rage but there is still an inherent issue with counselors easily being able to jog just out of range of Jason and dodge all of his easily read shifts. I don't see this often in the majority of players but some of these players who are part of these (stupidly named) 'kill squads' can be a real headache. I don't mind counselors having high stamina but I still see players endlessly dodging, and some players can read the first VHS video effect as activating stalk, then dodge the second video effect because they know shift is coming. 

If the video disruption effect didn't occur when stalk was active, it would be more effective. For those of us who know when to expect it, it's still too easy to dodge Jason. One person alone can only survive so long - even a Vanessa jumping through windows with a total of 4 heals and 1 knife - but multiple players like this still make playing Jason a real nuisance sometimes.

My suggestion would be to alter stalk so no video disruption effects occur whilst it's active, and to figure out something to prevent counselors from standing just out of range and dodging every shift and even stalk-shift you throw at them. Even morphing a bit away, toggling stalk on and shifting from a distance isn't much help because most of stalk will already be gone by the time you've got close enough for your shift to reach the target. It's usually enough time for them to spot Jason on their mini-map or hear his music, which instantly causes them to start zigzag sprinting, or you're slightly too close and your stalk-shift triggers the video disruption and causes the same thing.

It's just a bloody nuisance more than anything. 

• Like 2

I personally dislike it from both sides of play. They didn't help Jason in the early to mid game. And caused a bunch of problems for counselors late game.

Im loving it at the moment.  But I do see two things that might make the game perfect

1.) Tommy Should arrive with 3 mins left and not be subject to Jason stun immunity.

2.)   The LAST COUNSELOR should not be subject to Jason Stun Immunity.  (Tommy is not a counselor)

I feel these two things alone.. would make the game play more exciting and lead to some crazy finishes.

Other then that.   Im happy with the RAGE induced stun immunity.  Feels natural and makes me want to avoid Jason.  Which is something this game needed a long time ago.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

I'll move this into the feedback section as it's better suited there than off-topic.

As for my personal feedback, I really like the changes to rage but there is still an inherent issue with counselors easily being able to jog just out of range of Jason and dodge all of his easily read shifts. I don't see this often in the majority of players but some of these players who are part of these (stupidly named) 'kill squads' can be a real headache. I don't mind counselors having high stamina but I still see players endlessly dodging, and some players can read the first VHS video effect as activating stalk, then dodge the second video effect because they know shift is coming. 

If the video disruption effect didn't occur when stalk was active, it would be more effective. For those of us who know when to expect it, it's still too easy to dodge Jason. One person alone can only survive so long - even a Vanessa jumping through windows with a total of 4 heals and 1 knife - but multiple players like this still make playing Jason a real nuisance sometimes.

My suggestion would be to alter stalk so no video disruption effects occur whilst it's active, and to figure out something to prevent counselors from standing just out of range and dodging every shift and even stalk-shift you throw at them. Even morphing a bit away, toggling stalk on and shifting from a distance isn't much help because most of stalk will already be gone by the time you've got close enough for your shift to reach the target. It's usually enough time for them to spot Jason on their mini-map or hear his music, which instantly causes them to start zigzag sprinting, or you're slightly too close and your stalk-shift triggers the video disruption and causes the same thing.

It's just a bloody nuisance more than anything. 

You are obviously only concerned with making Jason a god in the game

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fair Play said:

This seems to be stirring up a lot of debate.

@mattshotcha, this may help you get a feel for how the members feel.

Hey! This is a great idea. I do have to mention that there is an element of core design to the change, but I am going to be keeping an eye on the thread and subsequent conversation for more tuning opportunities.

I’m loving the new patch.

Jason is feared again!

I do like some of the ideas I’ve read in the forum like making Tommy the only stun counter to a Rage Jason, and even making the Last counsellor alive the ability to stun Rage Jason.

However I do think more buffs are needed for Jason

1- remove Jason from the minimap. To counter this change, maybe the flair gun spot radius and length could be buffed.

2- enhance Stalk. Should last twice as long, as running burns it up too fast.

3- minimize Jason’s proximity music, you should only hear his music if he’s practically on top of you. 

I agree with Kodiak and changing the way stalk works and to remove the VHS static.

But as a workaround...

What I've found that works better is to gauge where the councelors are with sound pings, hit stalk, then morphy at a bit of distance from their last location, then use sense, then go in with Shift Grab. Half the time I can jump scare the councelors. 

14 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I like it, but a couple of tweaks would go a long way to making it a more consistent experience. 

Thanks for this @Fair Play

No problem. I've got the collective backs of the good members of our community.

13 hours ago, Kodiak said:

No problem. I posted here as I wasn't sure which section was the best fit.

8 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

Hey! This is a great idea. I do have to mention that there is an element of core design to the change, but I am going to be keeping an eye on the thread and subsequent conversation for more tuning opportunities.

That was the intention I had in mind. Hopefully this helps you and the team get the feedback you need to make this game as great as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Liking it! Though a few things I, and a few others would like...For example:

Widen Jasons grab range just abit and speed up his recovery. Still baiting + stun is pretty easy [pre-rage].

Incease damage resistance

But hey, this patch was a good start, you are definitely heading in the right direction! It should be as intended: The Jason experience. Not the counselor experience...

I like it, but I do think that firecrackers should still work because even though they stun they are more for defensive purposes than offensive. They’re technically items, not weapons. 

Definitely the right direction!!! A few tweaks and I would be really happy with the overall balance...

Firecrackers or Flares or both should still stun Jason in rage mode.... giving counselor players a little more to try to keep Jason at bay...

stalk and sense should be swapped at the beginning of the match to give Jason little extra buff in the earlier parts of the match..

speed up Jasons recovery after the grab or add  a steering ability with the grab.

and the block needs to be a one button press for both counselors and Jason.

I wish morph would be accurate like it is on PC. I mean, the ridiculous difference in where it lands you compared to what you chose is often times game altering.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:56 PM, Fair Play said:

Where’s the poll option to say it needs more buffs..... why is there 2 options to complain counselors have it rough?

jason is not back

it doesn’t need adjustments, I want other tweaks entirely. This invincibility isn’t really the answer, but is a ok addition. It needs more.

counselors for a fact don’t hurt and is pointless to list, only casuals I admit would hurt.

it is no where near impossible to survive.....

i of course care for more to be added. Like where’s meat shielding and grabbing in general is currently useless.

@OCT 31 1978 a one button press for block for counselors is broken.... you realise counselors will be invincible then... your able to tank over 20 hits and Jason would just lose to the damn timer with all the blocking. That’s just buffing kill squads.  Even if Jason had 1 button block too, the counselors just need to tank a hit to hit back in a group...

14 hours ago, Dynamic skills7 said:

@OCT 31 1978 a one button press for block for counselors is broken.... you realise counselors will be invincible then... your able to tank over 20 hits and Jason would just lose to the damn timer with all the blocking. That’s just buffing kill squads.  Even if Jason had 1 button block too, the counselors just need to tank a hit to hit back in a group...

Let me clarify I want a one button press block that would require you to time pressing the block as the attack was incoming..... and then have to release it to attack or grab ....,,not a one press that keeps Jason and counselors locked in the block animation the whole time....... 

It wouldn’t change the amount of hits a counselor can tank in block ....plus if it doesn’t stop some damage from coming through when used what would be the point of having a block at all.

The one press button would just make using the block faster and easier for both players.... you would still need to time the block Against an incoming attack  and then release the block to attack or grab...

This which would add actually skill to the combat system...and be a refreshingly change to the bait and swing method that is used now.

the buff to Jasons swing hurting multiple counselors will help with “kill squads”and the added stun immunity to melee weapons in rage.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:56 AM, Fair Play said:

Go on twitter and Facebook to see how they feel, I’ll tell you those numbers are very different, and that’s a much larger sample size

Or better yet go play a few games and ask people what they think, I have ran into one person in about 15 games that liked the changes

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, Kodiak said:

If the video disruption effect didn't occur when stalk was active, it would be more effective. For those of us who know when to expect it, it's still too easy to dodge Jason.

I have to respectfully disagree here (when disagreeing with a bear, one should always be respectful). Activating stalk without the VHS effect is 100% a dead giveaway that stalk is being used to anyone nearby, with it there is still an uncertainty. The chase music ending without the VHS effect would be like flashing large, bold text across the screen that reads: Jason just went into stalk mode.
   I have better success with stalk by activating stalk first, then sense and leaving it on... stalk is utterly useless without sense... and morphing ahead of my target (and out of their line of sight, that part is very important)... They often tell me, "I know you just went into stalk, I can see you back there."... and their sentence is always finished with them in my grip (it helps to have a good idea where the morph pins are as well)... easiest shift grabs ever. So many jump scares... so little time.
   I also have one friend who is an awesome player that guesses wrong about whether it was stalk or morph quite a bit and comes right back through that window and into my grip (once again, sense is really all that makes this possible, if that player went the other way and you cannot see them, you are just wasting precious time).... using stalk and then shift is a dead giveaway, but remember... if they can see Jason on their mini-map already, stalk does not remove him from it... and they can see you shifting at them on the mini-map anyway... That is why the morphing out of line of sight is so important... and more than likely why the players you speak of know you are shifting at them in stalk.
   I also have a high success margin with stalk when I can see someone through a cabin (with sense) coming towards a cabin that I am very close to. I just hit stalk and leave sense on and grab them when they come around the corner... but once again, a useless tactic without sense.
   Spotting Jason on the mini map is a problem for using stalk and we have to keep this in mind... if you are in line of sight for even one counselor or have recently taken a flare, assume that they can all see you on the mini-map.

1 hour ago, Urmomsnewman said:

Or better yet go play a few games and ask people what they think, I have ran into one person in about 15 games that liked the changes

I have played for hours each night since the patch... so far one person complained, and he was shut down by everyone else in the lobby. It nice to see a game with such a low player count that has such a multitude of people complaining. How exactly did that work?
   Maybe these people should play the game again before complaining... I was amazed by the number of complaints before the patch even dropped... and amused. Exactly why should anyone listen to anyone that will complain about anything before they even try it?... They lost their credibility by complaining with out a leg to stand on.

But I have played a great many matches since the patch dropped. It punishes those who instigate piñata parties and makes it more difficult for them to bully Jason, which was the point of the patch. It may have actually made the Jason kill even easier now for reasons a few others have mentioned in other threads... but really, only time will tell. 

I meant other abilities shouldn't trigger the effect whilst stalk is active :) So use stalk, video effect triggers, other abilities then don't trigger the effect until stalk is no longer active.

2 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I have to respectfully disagree here (when disagreeing with a bear, one should always be respectful). Activating stalk without the VHS effect is 100% a dead giveaway that stalk is being used to anyone nearby, with it there is still an uncertainty. The chase music ending without the VHS effect would be like flashing large, bold text across the screen that reads: Jason just went into stalk mode.
   I have better success with stalk by activating stalk first, then sense and leaving it on... stalk is utterly useless without sense... and morphing ahead of my target (and out of their line of sight, that part is very important)... They often tell me, "I know you just went into stalk, I can see you back there."... and their sentence is always finished with them in my grip (it helps to have a good idea where the morph pins are as well)... easiest shift grabs ever. So many jump scares... so little time.
   I also have one friend who is an awesome player that guesses wrong about whether it was stalk or morph quite a bit and comes right back through that window and into my grip (once again, sense is really all that makes this possible, if that player went the other way and you cannot see them, you are just wasting precious time).... using stalk and then shift is a dead giveaway, but remember... if they can see Jason on their mini-map already, stalk does not remove him from it... and they can see you shifting at them on the mini-map anyway... That is why the morphing out of line of sight is so important... and more than likely why the players you speak of know you are shifting at them in stalk.
   I also have a high success margin with stalk when I can see someone through a cabin (with sense) coming towards a cabin that I am very close to. I just hit stalk and leave sense on and grab them when they come around the corner... but once again, a useless tactic without sense.
   Spotting Jason on the mini map is a problem for using stalk and we have to keep this in mind... if you are in line of sight for even one counselor or have recently taken a flare, assume that they can all see you on the mini-map.

I have played for hours each night since the patch... so far one person complained, and he was shut down by everyone else in the lobby. It nice to see a game with such a low player count that has such a multitude of people complaining. How exactly did that work?
   Maybe these people should play the game again before complaining... I was amazed by the number of complaints before the patch even dropped... and amused. Exactly why should anyone listen to anyone that will complain about anything before they even try it?... They lost their credibility by complaining with out a leg to stand on.

But I have played a great many matches since the patch dropped. It punishes those who instigate piñata parties and makes it more difficult for them to bully Jason, which was the point of the patch. It may have actually made the Jason kill even easier now for reasons a few others have mentioned in other threads... but really, only time will tell. 

Well maybe you should try playing quick play with strangers instead of a private match with the same people and you will here a lot more complaints, you can just say you like the patch instead of lying you know.

3 hours ago, Urmomsnewman said:

Go on twitter and Facebook to see how they feel, I’ll tell you those numbers are very different, and that’s a much larger sample size

It's your idea, so you are more than welcome to gather the data from those platforms. Let us know what you come up with.

3 hours ago, Urmomsnewman said:

I've played quite a few matches with people in QP. There have been some complaints. I just haven't noticed nearly as many complaints as you. Of course, QP is full of a random population of players, so each of our experiences may vary. Perhaps you are luckier in your encounters with players who are unhappy with the patch.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

I'm trusting your observations are based on a fair amount of Quick Play matches?

1 hour ago, Urmomsnewman said:

Well maybe you should try playing quick play with strangers instead of a private match with the same people and you will here hear  a lot more complaints, you can just say you like the patch instead of lying you know.

Couldn't you ask for clarification before assuming? You what they say about people who assume...

Body shielding and increasing his swing strength in rage mode would have been enough to balance things. However i wouldn't be too upset if they made Tommy and the lone survivor the only ones that could stun a raged Jason. I bet they wouldn't want to do that though because it would actually take some work to do. The devs always seem to take the easy way out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Let me clarify I want a one button press block that would require you to time pressing the block as the attack was incoming..... and then have to release it to attack or grab ....,,not a one press that keeps Jason and counselors locked in the block animation the whole time....... 

It wouldn’t change the amount of hits a counselor can tank in block ....plus if it doesn’t stop some damage from coming through when used what would be the point of having a block at all.

The one press button would just make using the block faster and easier for both players.... you would still need to time the block Against an incoming attack  and then release the block to attack or grab...

This which would add actually skill to the combat system...and be a refreshingly change to the bait and swing method that is used now.

the buff to Jasons swing hurting multiple counselors will help with “kill squads”and the added stun immunity to melee weapons in rage.

So the block only works from timing it right, as Jason swings and if it’s before the swing it doesn’t work. I feel as though that’s harder to code. It would be too advantageous to counselors if the timing requires no prediction though. It would be too unfair if you can block every swing from proper skill, looking to beat his swing every time. It would only be fair if you can’t beat his swing speed and have to predict instead. It would ruin slashing and if grabbing is already ruined, there’s nothing left.... I’m not going to 20 hit each person in the lobby ffs.