Sign in to follow this  
bryanp3692

How do you counter the stutter step stun ?

How do you counter the old stutter step and stun when following a player as Jason ?  I follow some players and they do a light jog and just stun my every god damn time , how do you counter that as Jason ?

57 minutes ago, bryanp3692 said:

How do you counter the old stutter step and stun when following a player as Jason ?  I follow some players and they do a light jog and just stun my every god damn time , how do you counter that as Jason ?

I’m not the best player, but what I try to do is to wear down their stamina to force them to take a swing. Because in my experience the first one to take a swing (or grab) loses. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

I’m not the best player, but what I try to do is to wear down their stamina to force them to take a swing. Because in my experience the first one to take a swing (or grab) loses. 

Ive tried that , im usually the Jason that loses . Im in the same boat as you , been playing for ever but yet to master Jason. Thank you for the tip. 

If they're very close but just out of grab range, tap L1 to quick-toss a throwing knife into their back, then hit L2 to grab. The TK will momentarily interrupt their movement and give you a split-second window to grab them. Make it count though because if you miss they're going to clobber your ass.

Edit: If you can time it just right, this might work too:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

If they're very close but just out of grab range, tap L1 to quick-toss a throwing knife into their back, then hit L2 to grab. The TK will momentarily interrupt their movement and give you a split-second window to grab them. Make it count though because if you miss they're going to clobber your ass.

Edit: If you can time it just right, this might work too:

Great tip about the knife /grab ..........I started using Roy for his running and knives so that is an idea.

@HaHaTrumpWon's video showcased a good use of shift as a means of avoiding the stun.

@Tommy86's video demonstrates the ability to predict an attack, block and follow up: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNfB2e6udo8&t=79s). This video has probably the most important information a Jason player can learn. Watch GamePlayingGuru's video, too: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lqkiyXaFUg)

It either comes down to predicting when your opponent will attack, or taking the offensive HARD. This means using shift to its maximum effectiveness and either going for a slash or grab when necessary. Boredom Era has informative tutorials regarding shift. (Side-shift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bRjiSJwYFM) and (Speed Shift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCpi4wutWqU)

This is what you can become. You have to work for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbcbtyEEu4g

Now I must say this. These techniques work best when you're hosting a private match. The dedicated servers add ping for everyone, meaning that Jason has to account for input lag when ping is higher. Blocking feels clunky and you often can't follow up with slash block effectively off-host. Dedicated servers were the worst debuff to Jason.

Alternatively, you can ignore everything that I said. Never learn from your mistakes or get better. Let yourself get punished over and over again until you get rage. Why learn from your mistakes when you can't get stunned? What a joke. Can you tell that I'm not happy with the new change? Haha. Ha.

Edited by BomberBuddy
  • Thanks 1

You can always practice your shift grabs. There's not much they can do to stun you if you do that successfully. Go get into an offline match with bots and practice shift grabs. That's Jason's bread and butter. You learn to do that right and you become a formidable Jason.

As far as the video about shifting out of a stun, I was not aware that you could shift mid stun, or do you have to time it just right and do it before the stun fully takes over? Can someone elaborate on that?

If anyone cares to also elaborate on Jason spinning in a circle each time a person swings at him that'd be nice. What does this do, allow Jason to take less damage, or avoid a stun? Is the goal to just turn your back to them or spin completely around?  

1 hour ago, NightmareFuel said:

If anyone cares to also elaborate on Jason spinning in a circle each time a person swings at him that'd be nice. What does this do, allow Jason to take less damage, or avoid a stun? Is the goal to just turn your back to them or spin completely around?

If you time it right, the counsellor will miss you, and you can turn around and grab/slash them while they finish the attack animation.

Counsellors can do the same thing to Jason, so usually it comes down to not being the first to swing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightmareFuel said:

You can always practice your shift grabs. There's not much they can do to stun you if you do that successfully. Go get into an offline match with bots and practice shift grabs. That's Jason's bread and butter. You learn to do that right and you become a formidable Jason.

As far as the video about shifting out of a stun, I was not aware that you could shift mid stun, or do you have to time it just right and do it before the stun fully takes over? Can someone elaborate on that?

If I'm reading you correctly, the idea is to turn around quickly to get just out of reach of a counselor swing. I do it instinctively, even though half the time I get hit anyway. Combat stance and block is too clunky for me to execute quick enough, but that's just me.

3 hours ago, x OLd ScRatCh x said:

If I'm reading you correctly, the idea is to turn around quickly to get just out of reach of a counselor swing. I do it instinctively, even though half the time I get hit anyway. Combat stance and block is too clunky for me to execute quick enough, but that's just me.

Combat stance used to work perfectly but then they done gone messed it up. Now when I try to block there is too much of a delay between it and grab. It’s just easier to do as you say and turn away as you’re about to get hit. 

If you are not going to be knifing them, stay off to one side or the other when in pursuit(This will throw off their swing direction as a lot of time the counselor will swing directly behind them missing you completely if they dont lock on). And watch their bait. When they are baiting you bait them back by moving away then right back on them again. They will run out of stamina soon enough. quick block will still work but you really have to be quick on the anticipation. if they are already swinging before you start you are stunned.

And check your ping! I live in northern Europe and play with friends from the States on US-servers. Their ping is around 40-70, while mine is around 140-170. So, even though being an ok Jason, I'm always a second or two behind when it comes to blocking, baiting, tk's or shiftgrabs.  

Some players are amazing at this and it can be frustrating, especially if they are Tommy and have stamina perks.

First, I dont think this will be as big of an issue if this patch plays out in the ways they say it will, as stun during Rage won't be much of a factor. 

For myself, i think wearing them out is key. Reaction time is critical though. Rarely can i ever pull off the "switch to combat stance, black, out pf combat stance". Its too much canned animation and awkward controls to do it in time. It works, but its rare.

I like to walk behind them, then shift circles around them to make them run and burn stamina. Pop out and turn away so they dont get a clean hit. 

Its important as you chase them to bait them every once in a while, but protect yourself at the same time. Every so often, just turn a circle. It will throw them off a lot. Also shows them you are watching for it. 

Sad to say, but with current Jason build they kind of have the advantage. You basically have to trick them into a swing and burning their stamina. 

Always carry throwing knives. Though they are fairly easy to dodge and much harder to aim, a quick throw can catch them off guard and weaken them. Otherwise they have to dodge and burn stamina. Either way, its helpful to you. 

Even if they bait you with a stutter step or not, turn around if they start making any sort of turn.