Sign in to follow this  
Thatguyinktown

Friday the 13th State Of The Game 2018/Player Numbers

Well the only way I can see them recovering the player base is to open the SPC maps for multiplayer. I don’t think it would count as content but Matt hasn’t gotten back about it, so I don’t know for sure.

We’ll get a small boost with the perk rework but it probably won’t be sustained. I still think it’s to early to be pessimistic about how long we have. The Switch is a good move, so I’m not going to criticize it while acknowledging, that it is probably occupying a large amount of the dev team and that alone is probably slowing things that really can’t be done soon enough. 

5 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Well the only way I can see them recovering the player base is to open the SPC maps for multiplayer. I don’t think it would count as content but Matt hasn’t gotten back about it, so I don’t know for sure.

We’ll get a small boost with the perk rework but it probably won’t be sustained. I still think it’s to early to be pessimistic about how long we have. The Switch is a good move, so I’m not going to criticize it while acknowledging, that it is probably occupying a large amount of the dev team and that alone is probably slowing things that really can’t be done soon enough. 

I don't see how it recovers unless Jason gets back to the deadly force he was in the initial patch truthfully 

1 minute ago, DorianRo said:

I don't see how it recovers unless Jason gets back to the deadly force he was in the initial patch truthfully 

Maps are the key to recovering the players who otherwise have no reason to come back. Like I said perks won’t do it and even buffing Jason won’t be as effective. Jason is on the right track but we really do need more than that.

4 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Maps are the key to recovering the players who otherwise have no reason to come back. Like I said perks won’t do it and even buffing Jason won’t be as effective. Jason is on the right track but we really do need more than that.

Could they bring single player kills to multiplayer? 

14 minutes ago, BigJay said:

Could they bring single player kills to multiplayer? 

I don’t know, I would assume they could just leave them in. I have a feeling it would be better to remove any that need the Counselors to be on a specific path so as to not create new glitch spots or just any that could be misused to hurt/offend a player ie. the hanging one.

I wish I could tell you more but I’m operating on the same info you are, and I’m basing my assumptions on what Matt shared in the other thread. I’m just hoping Wes sees the value in giving us every drop of newness they can before it gets to late. I’m sure Horror inc. would agree that giving the fans something that already exists in the game isn’t to much to ask. I just hope it’s an easy switch to players instead of bots. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I’m sure Horror inc. would agree that giving the fans something that already exists in the game isn’t to much to ask. 

I hate to be negative, but I seriously doubt Horror Inc. even gives a shit about giving the fans anything. If they had, the lawsuit would have ended when Miller won the case. They could have count their losses, probably pocket change to them, and turned right around and made bank on a new movie. If any of the decisions for changes to the game is dependent on Horror Inc., I don’t look for anything to change. 

5 hours ago, Thatguyinktown said:

We now have numbers for the first 2 months of 2019, and the numbers...do not look good.  Around the midpoint of December 2018, Gun Media permanently reduced the price of the game by 50%.  However, even this did nothing to staunch the hemorrhaging of players.

January 2019

Player numbers continued to slide, however, this loss percentage was more slight than previous months, possibly due to the new permanent sale price.  The average player numbers for the month were 425.4 people, with a peak number of 806 players.  

February 2019

This is the month where we start to see playerbase reductions return to their June 2018-September 2018 highs.  The average player number weas 324.1 (a reduction of almost 24% of the existing playerbase in just 28 days, and almost hitting the previous low of 318.7 from September 2018),  and a peak number of 673 (placing it in between July and August 2018 numbers)

Last 30 Days (3/12/19-2/10/19)

This 30 day period is where the numbers get even worse for the game.  In the last 4 weeks, the game has now hit a NEW LOW for both average players and peak players, with 304.1 and 596, respectively.  These numbers are lower than the lows hit in September 2018, before the massive pre-Halloween sales jacked up the figures.  It wouldn't be surprising to see the average player number sink below 300 by the end of March.

These numbers should be concerning to any fan of the game, as they ask the real questions "How long can the game hold on in its current state?" and "At what point does the game become such a money loss that even Gun can't support the upkeep and maintenance the game requires?" 

In addition to a consistently dwindling playerbase, Gun has now announced that it will be expanding the game to a 4th platform, Nintendo Switch, this spring.  Theoretically, while it may appear that they could increase their playerbase by 33% now to a 4th platform, this also theoretically means that bug fixes and patches for all consoles will come out 33% slower than before, considering they now have a new platform release to care for and debug.  Also, will a platform that has reduced graphic limitations like the Switch even CREATE a fanbase for an almost 2 year old game that has lost almost 95% of its players in that time?

giphy.gif

8a7z.gif

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

I hate to be negative, but I seriously doubt Horror Inc. even gives a shit about giving the fans anything. If they had, the lawsuit would have ended when Miller won the case. They could have count their losses, probably pocket change to them, and turned right around and made bank on a new movie. If any of the decisions for changes to the game is dependent on Horror Inc., I don’t look for anything to change. 

This is unfortunately very accurate! Horror inc. doesn't give a flying fuck about what the fans want. To them, it's all about the 🤑🤑🤑🤑.

3 hours ago, DorianRo said:

Its a good game but its very easy to see why they can't keep anyone either. 

People come and go. No game is gonna keep people forever. Not when newer games come out that will intrigue people.

2 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I think that might pull some people back in, but not long term.

1 hour ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

You're not being negative, you're being realistic.

22 hours ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

PS4/Xbox One  are the most active PC isnt.

Do you have anything to back up that statement, or do you just WANT to believe that's true?

On 3/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, Fair Play said:

I think that might pull some people back in, but not long term.

There are ten maps, so ten months of life added life sounds really nice right about now, I mean later it might be to late and that would be a shame. 

Nice topic, I shall add my take!

I do not have numbers to back up my statements, but in my recent experience on PS4 EU server, finding a game had been very hard with half-empty lobbies.

I think the game on PS4 EU after the new patch is dying, we had an on and off team of 10 experienced people and literally nobody but 1 is playing consistently after the patch. This includes me, I have kinda given up on the game as I don't enjoy it anymore.

As I said, this doesn't from a place of WANTING something because I moved on to finding new challenges in other games. 

Maybe it should be considered that removing/reducing the combat aspect of a 2 years old game wasn't such a smart move like some people claim it was.

Anyway, enough moaning for me, good luck in finding solutions to improve the numbers. This was one of the best games I have ever played! 

13 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

There are ten maps, so ten months of life added life sounds really nice right about now, I mean later it might be to late and that would be a shame. 

If the maps were released one a month, then maybe. Given the time it takes to release new content, I'd imagine it'll a bit longer of a wait between maps. If we got a few new members because of it, that would be nice either way.

From its inception this is my favorite video game....like ever. I wished for this game since I was a kid. They made it a reality I will caually play until the servers shutdown, even then I will turn it on once a month and play some bots or the challenges. Given the budget, the small team behind it, that we payed for the game it is nothing short of a marvel. I love it.