Sign in to follow this  
Thatguyinktown

Friday the 13th State Of The Game 2018/Player Numbers

For the first time ever, we have a full 12 month view of Friday the 13th: The Game player numbers.  These numbers give us a concrete, statistical answer as to whether the game is growing, or dying, and at what rate.  These numbers only come from the Steam Chart analytics (https://steamcharts.com/app/438740).  This means that while it doesn't exactly represent all three platforms,  there is little evidence to demonstrate that the numbers are not similar (sales numbers for all platforms) and, absent any other data, these numbers can be applied universally to all 3 platforms. So lets dive in:

2017 in review:

Before I can begin analysis of 2018, I think it's beneficial to recall what happened in the previous 6 months of 2017.  For the first full month of being available, the game posted an average of 5566.8 players, with a peak of 10,640 players in June. After that, a large number of players dropped out, giving us averages in July 2017 of 2844.9 average players and 4924 peak players.  With exceptions in October/Early November 2017 and 2018, the player numbers in both categories would continue to decline month over month.  Boosts via sales gave temporary playerbase increases, but the gains made by these sales disappeared within a couple months.  This gave us a final number of 1351.1 average players and 2773 peak players for the final month of December,  a loss of 52.51% average users since July, and a loss of 75.73% since launch.

2018 in review

With the playerbase losses in 2017 documented, I'll now pivot to the 2018 numbers.  2018 featured several changes to the game.  These changes, with one exception, failed to both bring in new users and stop the erosion of the existing users.

January's numbers of average and peak users, 1207.5 and 2519, respectively, continued the steady decline of around 10% month over month.  This remains consistent with the numbers from 2017.  

However, January also provided a new factor in playerbase numbers, and that was the announcement of suspending release of new content while the game was upgraded to a new version of the Unreal Engine.  This INCREASED the rate of playerbase losses from the previous rate around 10% month-to-month to an average of 15% (Highest number being a loss of 27.78% less users in March, lowest being 10.63% less users in January).  In total, by the start of May 2018, the game had lost an additional 44.34% of its average players in just 3 months.  This amounts to a 76.37% loss of average players in 9 months (since July 2017), and a staggering 87.92% loss of all players since June 2017.

May finally saw the release of the new Unreal engine, along with other new content created in the previous 4 months.  If Gun Media had hoped that the new release would bring back players to the game, they were right, albeit briefly and in a much smaller number.  The game would post a meager addition to average users of 2.09% for May 2018 over April 2018.  In reality, this meant just 14 more people were playing the game in May than in June.

With the new engine released, players believed the game could finally receive regular new content.  However, this belief was later dashed by the announcement in mid June that future content would never be released, as a result of elements of the Friday the 13th franchise being under a copyright dispute.  In timing with this announcement, the game would continue losses around 17% per month in between June and September 2018.  This amounted to further losses of 53.54% average players since May 2018, 73.6% loss in 9 months since 2018, 88.7% loss since July 2017, and 94.27% loss since June 2017.  This means, by October 1, 2018, only 5 percent of people who purchased the game still play it.

As was the case in 2017, October 2018 provided a statistically significant increase to the playerbase over the previous month.  In addition to the Halloween holiday bump and the long advertised Dedicated Servers being released for all 3 platforms, the game was offered for free on Playstation, and steep discounts of 85% off led a drastic increase in average players.  In fact, these factors led the game to have its best PEAK numbers since June 2017 of 5438.  Septembers peak number was 643.  The player increase was not just confined to October, the numbers carried over to the post-halloween weekend the first weekend in November.  While playerbase numbers fell for the remaining 3 weeks of November 2018, the first week's numbers brought the whole month's average up to 1052.7 average players (the highest since February 2018) and 6,677 peak players (besting Octobers peak players, becoming the new highest peak number since June 2017). 

Finally, this leads us to December.  The concept of what goes up must come down applied in December 2018 much the same as it did in December 2017.  Average playerbase numbers were down 57.52% over November, which is a large number, but keep in mind that all of Novembers gains were Novembers first week.  To put this in perspective, the 57.52% playerbase loss was not over the 4 weeks of November to December, but rather the 7 weeks between the end of December and beginning of November.  While it still puts Decembers averages 447.2 players higher than the all time low of September's 318.7, this still implies that the game cannot maintain a solid playerbase, and any new players brought in by sales (85% off sale in October, permanent 50% off sale in December) do not stick around to move the average playerbase anywhere but down. 

Average Playerbase change 2018: 62.96% fewer players since January 2018

Average Playerbase change, lifetime of game:  only 8.03% of players who bought the game still play it regularly, 91.96% playerbase gone.

2019 and Beyond

With the playerbase continuing to decline, and sales delivering only short-term gains, in addition to the cost of maintaining the Dedicated Servers as well as quality of life updates, it isn't unreasonable to predict that the game will not survive to this point next year.  While the developers have announced a willingness to look further into reworking existing game elements (perks, balance, etc.) as a way to keep the game fresh, there remains the question of whether that effort is worthwhile.  Is it cost effective to make changes to a game that loses almost 2/3rds of its already small existing playerbase in a year, and that only retains 8% of people who bought it, in light of the cost of the dedicated servers?  When will the game's losses make shutting down the servers and pulling the game from retail distributers Gun's only way to proceed?  Without access to Gun's earning sheet, I can't say with confidence that this will be Friday the 13th: The Game's last year in operation.  That being said, I don't see anything that shows the game going anywhere other than down, and how far it will continue to decline remains to be seen.

Signed,

Thatguyinktown, member of the 8.03% of Friday the 13th: The Game players who still play regularly.

https://steamcharts.com/app/438740

• Like 2

Sounds accurate.

1. Consistently inconsistent

2. Communication/Transparency beyond stock answers that only put off actual answers

3. Lots of people who were there from the start have left or been forced out because of their behavior and the team itself.

Add all that up and if the game didn't die in 2018 for some. Its very unlikely it survives this year.

If online play goes down all together. You now effectively cut in half the actual game since there was never a singleplayer counselor mode of any kind and Virtual Cabin 1.0 and 2.0 don't really count.

I still play regularly too, though I absolutely hate what has happened to the game: floods of trolls, on-going developmental incompetence, unpatched rampant glitching/exploiting, poor connections...

Nevertheless, as already mentioned, this game may be a deformed shelter pet, but it is OUR deformed shelter pet. I will be here until the day comes that it is finally put to sleep.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Nevertheless, as already mentioned, this game may be a deformed shelter pet, but it is OUR deformed shelter pet. I will be here until the day comes that it is finally put to sleep.

Yep, and I’d like to say thanks Haha, that’s still the best I’ve heard it put. I’d give you a like but I’m out. 

1 hour ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I still play regularly too, though I absolutely hate what has happened to the game: floods of trolls, on-going developmental incompetence, unpatched rampant glitching/exploiting, poor connections...

That’s pretty much, how most of us feel. I’ll still be here too, until the game goes offline. I don’t want to see that happening...time will tell. 

57 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Yep, and I’d like to say thanks Haha, that’s still the best I’ve heard it put. I’d give you a like but I’m out. 

I can't really take credit for that one, but it is a good description. Lots of people have abandoned the game, but there are some who were here since the beginning that will still be here at the end.

35 minutes ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I can't really take credit for that one, but it is a good description. Lots of people have abandoned the game, but there are some who were here since the beginning that will still be here at the end.

There are those of us who will stay on the sinking ship until the last possible second. I've got my lifeboat ready, stocked with beer and snacks, and room for a chosen few when the time comes.

• Like 1

I'm addicted to it. I usually play 3 rounds when I get off work before I do anything else. Maybe watch tv or a movie after, or play another game, but I always warm up with this one. Every day!

• Like 2

Same. Will be here beginning to end. I don't know. If they put the game back on peer to peer and give us local saves, it could last a bit longer. I think the console user base has a greater chance of lasting than on steam. I also think they could just combine this game with the servers of a newer game they develop to spread out the cost. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm not completely predicting doom and gloom. On PS4 and on Xbox, I still do not have a problem at all finding matches to play, and the lobbies are almost always full when I do.

• Like 1

Same here. At times i felt that they let me down as a backer but no matter how bad the game can be,it’s still the most fun I’ve had playing a game in a long time. I have met many friends through this game and I am grateful for that. It was a really good experience in the early days of getting updates and then the virtual cabin to look around until the eventual release of the game. Just the troubles that came after sucked and the way communication changed. But I’m still here and will be until it stops working. 

• Like 1

Very interesting stats. Personally, I don't play as often as I used to. Now I only play maybe a few times a month tops. It's not because of the game itself really, but rather, it's hard to get as much enjoyment out of it now mainly due to all the trolls that have flooded in. So, now I'm at a point where if I haven't played the game in a while, I'm a bit reluctant to go back for that very reason. I'll be like "Yeah, I'm in the mood to be Jason and wipe the floor with some counselors", but then, that ugly thought in the back of my mind comes back, "Oh yeah, I forgot about the trolls..." You can still have good games, but sadly it's a 50/50 chance these days it seems.

3 hours ago, Cer1alkill3r said:

Same here. At times i felt that they let me down as a backer but no matter how bad the game can be,it’s still the most fun I’ve had playing a game in a long time. I have met many friends through this game and I am grateful for that. It was a really good experience in the early days of getting updates and then the virtual cabin to look around until the eventual release of the game. Just the troubles that came after sucked and the way communication changed. But I’m still here and will be until it stops working. 

Despite the problems and trouble that has plagued the game, it's good to see a fellow backer still jump in from time to time.

3 hours ago, JasonLives86 said:

Very interesting stats. Personally, I don't play as often as I used to. Now I only play maybe a few times a month tops. It's not because of the game itself really, but rather, it's hard to get as much enjoyment out of it now mainly due to all the trolls that have flooded in. So, now I'm at a point where if I haven't played the game in a while, I'm a bit reluctant to go back for that very reason. I'll be like "Yeah, I'm in the mood to be Jason and wipe the floor with some counselors", but then, that ugly thought in the back of my mind comes back, "Oh yeah, I forgot about the trolls..." You can still have good games, but sadly it's a 50/50 chance these days it seems.

There are still some pretty awesome people playing, if you're lucky enough to come across them. You have to sift through some trolls to do so, but there are a few diamonds in the rough nonetheless.

• Like 1

For some reason I always seem to be Jason the first match. Jason-main or not, I actually prefer being a counselor the first couple of games so I can get an idea for how the people I'm with play. It helps me get an idea of whether they're going to be real players or just a bunch of assclowns that spend half the round riding around trying to run over everyone who's trying to play.

I hope after dedicated servers go offline (we all know they eventually will) that the developers will re-introduce peer-to-peer play so that the dedicated player base can still find matches. It would bring back the issue of host-quitting, but it would also ensure the game can still be played.

Private matches are still peer-to-peer IIRC, so I don't think that will be affected when dedicated servers finally shut down.

A proud member of the 8.03%, I will play this game till it’s last breath. It’s not what was expected, to some it still doesn’t deliver but it’s such a fun game. Playing this seeing players I’ve matched with before seeing those who have trolled before it’s great!

The friends I play with once we have been killed it becomes us cheering on someone running like sweet Mary hell to repair the boat or such phrases as “is that c**t teaming with Jason? / Oh look we have a funny f*cker on the roof!”

It really does have a small-town vibe to it, you know the players and they know you.

F*ck DBD, F13 forever!

• Like 1

In November 2018, a large increase in players and profits thanks to its Halloween offer.

We now have numbers for the first 2 months of 2019, and the numbers...do not look good.  Around the midpoint of December 2018, Gun Media permanently reduced the price of the game by 50%.  However, even this did nothing to staunch the hemorrhaging of players.

January 2019

Player numbers continued to slide, however, this loss percentage was more slight than previous months, possibly due to the new permanent sale price.  The average player numbers for the month were 425.4 people, with a peak number of 806 players.  

February 2019

This is the month where we start to see playerbase reductions return to their June 2018-September 2018 highs.  The average player number weas 324.1 (a reduction of almost 24% of the existing playerbase in just 28 days, and almost hitting the previous low of 318.7 from September 2018),  and a peak number of 673 (placing it in between July and August 2018 numbers)

Last 30 Days (3/12/19-2/10/19)

This 30 day period is where the numbers get even worse for the game.  In the last 4 weeks, the game has now hit a NEW LOW for both average players and peak players, with 304.1 and 596, respectively.  These numbers are lower than the lows hit in September 2018, before the massive pre-Halloween sales jacked up the figures.  It wouldn't be surprising to see the average player number sink below 300 by the end of March.

These numbers should be concerning to any fan of the game, as they ask the real questions "How long can the game hold on in its current state?" and "At what point does the game become such a money loss that even Gun can't support the upkeep and maintenance the game requires?" 

In addition to a consistently dwindling playerbase, Gun has now announced that it will be expanding the game to a 4th platform, Nintendo Switch, this spring.  Theoretically, while it may appear that they could increase their playerbase by 33% now to a 4th platform, this also theoretically means that bug fixes and patches for all consoles will come out 33% slower than before, considering they now have a new platform release to care for and debug.  Also, will a platform that has reduced graphic limitations like the Switch even CREATE a fanbase for an almost 2 year old game that has lost almost 95% of its players in that time?

1 hour ago, Thatguyinktown said:

Last 30 Days (3/12/19-2/10/19)

This 30 day period is where the numbers get even worse for the game.  In the last 4 weeks, the game has now hit a NEW LOW for both average players and peak players, with 304.1 and 596, respectively.  These numbers are lower than the lows hit in September 2018, before the massive pre-Halloween sales jacked up the figures.  It wouldn't be surprising to see the average player number sink below 300 by the end of March.

These numbers should be concerning to any fan of the game, as they ask the real questions "How long can the game hold on in its current state?" and "At what point does the game become such a money loss that even Gun can't support the upkeep and maintenance the game requires?" 

Yeah, this is pretty damn concerning. It's getting harder and harder to find a game on Xbox. It used to take only about 30-40 seconds but now it is in that 2.5-3 minute range or longer. I can still get into games in 30 seconds, but not like I used to. This makes me wonder on what the player base would be like if this legal garbage never happened. I would assume it would of been much larger if Gun kept on updating the game with new content. Or maybe it could be because of the bugs, glitches, and cheaters. 

2 minutes ago, BigJay said:

This makes me wonder on what the player base would be like if this legal garbage never happened. I would assume it would of been much larger if Gun kept on updating the game with new content. Or maybe it could be because of the bugs, glitches, and cheaters. 

There weren't more fans coming to the game even when it was releasing new content, though.  The game has always ran on a decreasing player base month-to-month, special deep discount promotions notwithstanding.  The game lost close to 10% of the previous player base each month on average since launch.  There doesn't seem to be a difference in that rate from 6/17-5/18 when it was releasing new content, and 6/18-present when it is not.

It's like looking at smartphone sales in the last couple of years.  Smartphone growth has been stagnant recently, because it's theorized that the market has already reached its saturation point.  There aren't more smartphone customers, in general, because everyone who wanted a smartphone already has one.  It's the same point with this game, everyone who wanted the game has already purchased it, and the numbers show that anyone who comes in under the drastically reduced price eventually leaves, thus negating any playerbase increases that occurred. 

I am glad, though, that you didn't claim that my numbers/assertion was incorrect because you can still get into lobbies.  The reason why "The game isn't dying because i can still get into lobbies" claim is illogical is because the existence of an open slot in a lobby doesn't tell you how many people are playing at any given time, but rather that there's only a lobby with an opening in it - nothing more. The existence of the open slot in a lobby doesn't tell you how many lobbies are operating on that platform at any given time, which would be the more accurate way of discerning how many people are playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigJay said:

This makes me wonder on what the player base would be like if this legal garbage never happened. I would assume it would of been much larger if Gun kept on updating the game with new content. Or maybe it could be because of the bugs, glitches, and cheaters. 

I'd be inclined to agree that the player base may have been a bit larger than it is now, even if only by a small percentage.

While the game may be dying as all games do, there are those of us who will continue to play as long as possible.

• Like 2

Ive started back up after a year off.  Ive kind of reinvested my passion for the game.   The "Roy patch" era burned me out. I can understand the dwindling fanbase.  In theory the game is great. Unbelievable attention to detail and great job at honoring the history of the franchise. .  In execution?  Well:

1. They "fix" things that didn't need to be fixed.  If aint broke don't fix.  Mainly Jason's grab was the biggest gripe.  The way the mechanics are set up and the slugging playing style, keep Jason's grab the way it was a year ago.   Jason needs to be bad arse.  While the "Rage " function helps, the nerfed grab just offsets and the counselors can still toy with Jason 

2. Waiting around for 10-15 mins  (If you get killed off early to level up and get the XP points) isn't optimal for gamers.  People don't buy games to WAIT For games to end.  They buy games to... PLAY THEM

Its one of the games that I still enjoy on the PS4/Xbox Live generation so I will play.  For whatever reason this generation of games have far less replay value than the PS3/360 era IMO.  Sure the graphics are better now but the replay value, gameplay, mechanics, ideas of the game are FAR Inferior. IMO 

After this game it's hard to go back to the same ol' boring games. I wish more game developers would think outside the box. Gun created something unique here and other games feel stale compared to F13th. This game is still more exciting than over half of the games that's still getting new content. 

Dead game my ass!!! 

• Like 1

Their only course of action is making the game free 2 play and perhaps cross platform.

Both come with great weaknesses, but combining the overall playerbase might be one of the last things they could do.

Making Jason a PANSY didn't help matters.  An undead zombie being a human pinada to a lobby full   of ovearperked  Vanessa's.  Yea...   Not smart if you want to keep your player base. 

If you're playing a lobby full of experienced, Vanessas, you need Rage with Force Grab.  Jason is SUPPOSED to be unstoppable.  Not get grinded into just by roided up female counselors. 
Its a good game but its very easy to see why they can't keep anyone either.