Jump to content
mattshotcha

Meet Your New Lead Community Developer at Gun Media, Mattshotcha

Recommended Posts

Hey gang!

My name is Matt, but you'll find me in game and all over the internet as "mattshotcha" and I'm a new hire here at Gun Media in the role of Lead Community Developer. While I'm brand new to the Gun Team and Friday the 13th, I have a history in managing online communities that spans a variety of titles and platforms. I'm looking forward to jumping in here, as well as social and Reddit. 

While the bulk of my experience in the gaming industry is in the shooter scene, I'm a lifelong horror junkie. Now that I've found my professional home here at Gun, it's time for me to get to work, with you, the community. And on that note, we'll keep this short and sweet.

Feel free to reach out to me via the forums here, or anywhere you choose to discuss Friday the 13th the game. Community Development is a two way street, and I firmly believe that open and accessible communication between the players and the team (by way of the community team) is vital to the development of a healthy and thriving community. Let's work together towards that goal.

And with that, I'm going to get back to work. Talk soon, campers.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats.

Outta curiosity, do you also represent Black Tower Studios or will they eventually have a rep around here as well the same way Illfonic had members?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Welcome to camp

Thanks, Slasher!

14 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

Congrats.

Outta curiosity, do you also represent Black Tower Studios or will they eventually have a rep around here as well the same way Illfonic had members?

As a ComDev for Gun Media, I will be speaking for all the titles that Gun publishes. So I speak for Friday the 13th: The Game, which is a collaborative joint effort. That said, I'm a conduit for communication to all teams involved and can certainly function in that capacity here. 

13 hours ago, Fair Play said:

Welcome aboard @mattshotcha.

Thanks, Fair Play!

13 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

Welcome to the mad house, lol

Right at home...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mattshotcha Good morning and welcome to Camp Crystal Lake and all of its affiliates! Remember to be careful around camp... there seem to be a lot of sharp objects around here... and it seems to have some sort of death curse. I blame that guy in the hockey mask... he is really giving goalies a bad name... and he smells funny.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now all we need is answers to go along with a new community lead.

1. When do basic things like being able to skip cutscenes in singleplayer challenges get added?

2. When will other Jasons load on the main menu besides Part 3 going all the way back to beta?

3. Can we expect more consistent communication rather than the slivers of information every few months?

4. Will the game receive any worthwhile updates in December?

Some of these are hard hitting, but given the state of affairs, they are meant to be, without any real offenses intended.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

Now all we need is answers to go along with a new community lead.

1. When do basic things like being able to skip cutscenes in singleplayer challenges get added?

2. When will other Jasons load on the main menu besides Part 3 going all the way back to beta?

3. Can we expect more consistent communication rather than the slivers of information every few months?

4. Will the game receive any worthwhile updates in December?

Some of these are hard hitting, but given the state of affairs, they are meant to be, without any real offenses intended.

Number 3 on your list is the big one for the majority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

Now all we need is answers to go along with a new community lead.

1. When do basic things like being able to skip cutscenes in singleplayer challenges get added?

2. When will other Jasons load on the main menu besides Part 3 going all the way back to beta?

3. Can we expect more consistent communication rather than the slivers of information every few months?

4. Will the game receive any worthwhile updates in December?

Some of these are hard hitting, but given the state of affairs, they are meant to be, without any real offenses intended.

1. This is an item I'd have to look into for you. I don't have the specifics here, but generally in my experience in game dev, there is always a reason for the scene playing out. I'll see if I can get a more concrete answer for you on this.

2. Again, something I'll have to look into. 

3. Absolutely. I can't fabricate information when there is nothing to say, but I am here to interact with you all as a core part of my function at Gun. Short version, I'm the voice of the community to the team and the voice of the team to the community. I'm still ramping up, but you can always feel free to reach out to me via PM anytime.

4. As far as timing for fixes, please stay tuned. For now, let's focus on getting as much reported as possible and as soon as I can pin down a timeframe, I will. That info will be shared here, there, and everywhere when it's time. I guarantee it.

I realize there is some non-answers in there. I wanted to get a reply over to you as soon as I could though. I'll add these items to my list and follow up as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience while I get up to speed around here.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mattshotcha, I’ve been wondering for a few days who our mysterious Guest is, I thought it might have been you (still do) but they seem to be reading a very interesting selection of the forums history. Could you maybe look into it, I realize it’s a little outside your job description but I figure better safe than sorry and who else would be able to see that level of site information? They did sign in at one point earlier, you can see them moving in Online Users, so I figure you could take a peek? If you wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 5:40 PM, mattshotcha said:

1. This is an item I'd have to look into for you. I don't have the specifics here, but generally in my experience in game dev, there is always a reason for the scene playing out. I'll see if I can get a more concrete answer for you on this.

2. Again, something I'll have to look into. 

3. Absolutely. I can't fabricate information when there is nothing to say, but I am here to interact with you all as a core part of my function at Gun. Short version, I'm the voice of the community to the team and the voice of the team to the community. I'm still ramping up, but you can always feel free to reach out to me via PM anytime.

4. As far as timing for fixes, please stay tuned. For now, let's focus on getting as much reported as possible and as soon as I can pin down a timeframe, I will. That info will be shared here, there, and everywhere when it's time. I guarantee it.

I realize there is some non-answers in there. I wanted to get a reply over to you as soon as I could though. I'll add these items to my list and follow up as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience while I get up to speed around here.

Ok so I promised a follow up and I have one.

1. In game development, a lot of seemingly unrelated decisions are made to help the performance or stability of the game with minimal impact to the player. While we originally planned to have a skip prompt for the scenes, we encountered an issue with how they had been architected that would have required extensive dev time to reverse in order for the Challenges to function properly after the scenes were skipped. This would have required significant additional resources, and likely would have delayed release of the Challenges. Afterwards, we felt that there were more pressing needs for the team to work on, and for the current team to address. Can it be done? Sure. But it is not as high priority/high player impact as some of the other more urgent items we continue to look at in Friday the 13th: The Game.

2. This is an item that we've brought up to the team, but will be lower on the list than actual fixes at this time.

3. This one was clear cut in the first reply.

4. We will not be seeing an update in December. As for how long after December, we cannot yet confirm, but we're not far off. The team has an extensive update in the works including fixes and balancing based mainly off player feedback. We'll share the details of that as soon as possible.

I hope that helps clear some of these things up and feel free to keep the convo going.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the last patch the game is still not working in Europe. On PS4, when I try to get into a lobby, it's search servers, find servers, search cooldown, and that's it. It's looping, than I got an error message: the client is outdated, update before joining.

Come on guys, this must be the first priority to fix..(It is only on PS4)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

Ok so I promised a follow up and I have one.

1. In game development, a lot of seemingly unrelated decisions are made to help the performance or stability of the game with minimal impact to the player. While we originally planned to have a skip prompt for the scenes, we encountered an issue with how they had been architected that would have required extensive dev time to reverse in order for the Challenges to function properly after the scenes were skipped. This would have required significant additional resources, and likely would have delayed release of the Challenges. Afterwards, we felt that there were more pressing needs for the team to work on, and for the current team to address. Can it be done? Sure. But it is not as high priority/high player impact as some of the other more urgent items we continue to look at in Friday the 13th: The Game.

2. This is an item that we've brought up to the team, but will be lower on the list than actual fixes at this time.

3. This one was clear cut in the first reply.

4. We will not be seeing an update in December. As for how long after December, we cannot yet confirm, but we're not far off. The team has an extensive update in the works including fixes and balancing based mainly off player feedback. We'll share the details of that as soon as possible.

I hope that helps clear some of these things up and feel free to keep the convo going.

@tyrant666, I believe this reply was for you.

@mattshotcha you gotta tag people brother, you quoted yourself by accident I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mattshotchaWelcome in the community Matt, i'm sad that there is not patch coming in december he really needs it right now. Servers and stability is a priority along bug fixes i mean it's not funny to see clowns on rooftops.

More information about balancing ( Jason buff , perks change...) as mentionned here

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/21476-discussion-rolling-perks/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nyez said:

Since the last patch the game is still not working in Europe. On PS4, when I try to get into a lobby, it's search servers, find servers, search cooldown, and that's it. It's looping, than I got an error message: the client is outdated, update before joining.

Come on guys, this must be the first priority to fix..(It is only on PS4)

This is something we are investigating. We do need some details posted in a report on JasonKillsBugs.com so we can properly track the info coming in. If you can, please submit a report on that site with a description of the server issue, for redundancy, and the following info:

  • Base Game Type: Physical or Digital
  • Region
  • DLC: Which DLCs do you have installed

The team is trying to sort through the reports to find common denominators.

11 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

@tyrant666, I believe this reply was for you.

@mattshotcha you gotta tag people brother, you quoted yourself by accident I think.

I meant for all to see, and give context to my previous statement, but yeah. I goofed and should have also tagged them. Thanks for the assist, Slasher!

8 hours ago, xllxENIGMAxllx said:

@mattshotchaWelcome in the community Matt, i'm sad that there is not patch coming in december he really needs it right now. Servers and stability is a priority along bug fixes i mean it's not funny to see clowns on rooftops.

More information about balancing ( Jason buff , perks change...) as mentionned here

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/21476-discussion-rolling-perks/

Believe me, I'm sad the patch isn't coming too, but it needs time to bake before it's ready for consumption. I'll check out that thread and follow up there. Thanks!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mattshotcha Welcome to the nastiest summer camp experience you'll ever get! That being said, PLEASE let us know if a "barebones" or "hardcore" mode is being implemented in the future, whether it becomes a new "mode" in online lobbies, or in the form of toggleable options in private matches. I just want to be able to turn off counselor minimaps, remove music all together (or tie it to the counselor ACTUALLY seeing jason). I run a discord with a bunch of players who are fellow day one savini owners, and we do our best to make our own "hardcore" gameplay. By doing things like muting music, turning down gamma, and using stickies to cover the minimap on our monitors. We also have a list of counselor rules and jason rules we abide by to add tension, but the experience isn't NEAR as scary and hard as it could be. The worst thing we have to deal with is counselors revealing that jason is around, even when he is using stalk, because they freak out and scream randomly without seeing him... it REALLY sucks when your in a cabin and about to leave and your deborah just SHITES herself before you get to the window where jason is hiding waiting to jump scare you as you crawl out thinking he isn't around. I'd love an update for this, thanks. Here is the discord link if you feel interested enough to join and check out our unique gameplay style and maybe pick up ideas for such a mode, to pass onto the team! 

post-3810-0-68347200-1491405597_thumb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, ConnectTheKings said:

@mattshotcha Welcome to the nastiest summer camp experience you'll ever get! That being said, PLEASE let us know if a "barebones" or "hardcore" mode is being implemented in the future, whether it becomes a new "mode" in online lobbies, or in the form of toggleable options in private matches. I just want to be able to turn off counselor minimaps, remove music all together (or tie it to the counselor ACTUALLY seeing jason). I run a discord with a bunch of players who are fellow day one savini owners, and we do our best to make our own "hardcore" gameplay. By doing things like muting music, turning down gamma, and using stickies to cover the minimap on our monitors. We also have a list of counselor rules and jason rules we abide by to add tension, but the experience isn't NEAR as scary and hard as it could be. The worst thing we have to deal with is counselors revealing that jason is around, even when he is using stalk, because they freak out and scream randomly without seeing him... it REALLY sucks when your in a cabin and about to leave and your deborah just SHITES herself before you get to the window where jason is hiding waiting to jump scare you as you crawl out thinking he isn't around. I'd love an update for this, thanks. Here is the discord link if you feel interested enough to join and check out our unique gameplay style and maybe pick up ideas for such a mode, to pass onto the team! 

post-3810-0-68347200-1491405597_thumb.png

The team is exploring as many options as possible but other than fixes and balancing, we don't have a lot to communicate on at this time. Stay tuned.

That said, we have some really interesting feedback on balancing and giving Jason his "teeth" back if you know what I mean.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mattshotcha said:

The team is exploring as many options as possible but other than fixes and balancing, we don't have a lot to communicate on at this time. Stay tuned.

That said, we have some really interesting feedback on balancing and giving Jason his "teeth" back if you know what I mean.

Well, that's DEFINATELY a good start. thanks for the response, and let me know if there is ever going to be a change in how the music is used in game. I think the music is AWESOME during a chase, it just SUCKS when it TELLS you he's around... :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×