Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As anyone who is true fan of the F13 franchise should know, Friday the 13th Par V: A New Beginning did not feature Jason as the killer. This role was filled by ambulance driver Roy Burns who, upon arriving on the scene at Pinehurst discovers the mutilated body of his son, begins to seek revenge on the locals under the guise of Jason (presumably to keep suspicion off of himself -- which never would've existed in the first place because no one knew the murdered guy was his son until AFTER he is dead and the sheriff finds his photo in Roy's wallet.)

That being the case, why does this wannabe start the match inside Jason's shack and why does Pamela speak to him? This makes no sense. About the only thing that was done right was the cut-scene at the end of the match which shows him escaping into the forest rather than returning to the shack like all the other Jasons do. It would make more sense, to me, if this Jason spawned either just in a partially dynamic location sans Jason's shack or the shack was replaced with an ambulance outside of which he would spawn. And Pamela's voice could be replaced with either the voice of his deceased son pleading for revenge or his own disembodied voice speaking to himself. 

Call me a nit-picking purist but this bothers me to no end every time a player chooses to play as the wannabe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you did a good job summing up everything that was discussed at his release. Unfortunately the answer we were given isn’t very satisfying, essentially the devs decided he was crazy. So that’s why Jason’s shack is his start location and Mother talks to him. 

Not directing the rest of it at you in particular @Drop.Dead.Cynical.

It always bothered me how most fans always assume that Jason is Jason. His physical appearance changes dramatically, who says they all weren’t like Roy, just his possession by Jason isn’t as far along as the hermit from part two, or any of the other Jason’s. Part 3-4 it’s clearly a different Jason than part 2. Hell they never even call him Jason once in part 3. I’m in no way saying that this explanation is fact or cannon, but when looked at as a whole, the series has a number of interesting revelations that are hidden as throw away dialog or happen later but possibly were always true.

I always assumed that it was a puzzle that could only be put together once enough movies gave enough different interpretations of the character. I don’t necessarily believe this to be the best version of how the pieces could fit together, it leaves out to much other stuff. Ie. psychics, magic, Pamela’s role in what happens in the future. To much for me to work out here though.

So with my tangent done, Welcome to the forums @Drop.Dead.Cynical.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right, that isn't very satisfying. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But if that's all we get then that's all we get.

As for the rest:

As the writer of the original writer for the first Friday the 13th put it (and I'm paraphrasing) "In my story, Jason was dead. Period." The following installments were ultimately just an attempt to cash in on the success of the original and the numerous changes made to the writing staff, cast, etc. are what account for the discrepancies from film to film.  Which is why I thought the most recently released film did such a great job of wrapping this story into a neat little standalone package; you have basically the first 4 original films all rolled into one. I just wish Kane Hodder had been able to reprise his role as Jason once more, especially given how he was passed over for the Jason role in Freddy vs Jason.

Not to say that you're wrong about the lack of mentioning of Jason's name in part 3 -- I never really noticed either way -- but I think that, if true, it's more likely the result of an oversight on the part of the writing staff than a nod to deeper yet-to-be-revealed mythos if the F13 Universe since Jason's identity is strongly implied from the part 2 recap at the beginning of part 3.

Still an interesting notion, to be sure. And since New Line decided to tack on a whole bunch of new concepts for part 9 I suppose anything is possible at Crystal Lake or Forest Green or whatever it will be called next. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drop.Dead.Cynical said:

You're right, that isn't very satisfying. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But if that's all we get then that's all we get.

As for the rest:

As the writer of the original writer for the first Friday the 13th put it (and I'm paraphrasing) "In my story, Jason was dead. Period." The following installments were ultimately just an attempt to cash in on the success of the original and the numerous changes made to the writing staff, cast, etc. are what account for the discrepancies from film to film.  Which is why I thought the most recently released film did such a great job of wrapping this story into a neat little standalone package; you have basically the first 4 original films all rolled into one. I just wish Kane Hodder had been able to reprise his role as Jason once more, especially given how he was passed over for the Jason role in Freddy vs Jason.

Not to say that you're wrong about the lack of mentioning of Jason's name in part 3 -- I never really noticed either way -- but I think that, if true, it's more likely the result of an oversight on the part of the writing staff than a nod to deeper yet-to-be-revealed mythos if the F13 Universe since Jason's identity is strongly implied from the part 2 recap at the beginning of part 3.

Still an interesting notion, to be sure. And since New Line decided to tack on a whole bunch of new concepts for part 9 I suppose anything is possible at Crystal Lake or Forest Green or whatever it will be called next. 

You’re going to fit in fine around here, that was a remarkable, you actually took the time to read it, comprehend it and formulate a response without once calling me a dirty word. You lose points for not working in a snub of some kind though, it’s tradition around here, just kidding about the last part, although it happens so much it might as well be a tradition. I’m not used to getting such thoughtful replies, I hope you stick around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that it doesn't make much sense. The real answer is probably the difficulty of coding the map to change based on the Jason selected proved too much.

I do really wish we'd have seen an ambulance on Pinehurst. The shack could spawn in one of it's usual spots. The ambulance in the other. Trading locations as RNG dictates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

I do really wish we'd have seen an ambulance on Pinehurst. The shack could spawn in one of it's usual spots. The ambulance in the other. Trading locations as RNG dictates. 

That would have been cool, even if the Ambulance didn’t run. Although It would have been hilarious for Roy to run us off the road in his own vehicle, seeing it come roaring out of the bushes directly ahead of you blocking the way to the exit. Ah, what could have been.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont care. No seriously it's not that big of an issue. Not to mention I feel that they were going to do a whole different game mode around part 5 but Paranoia fell through so they added the Pinehurst map and Roy in a way they could and called it a day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't have added Roy to the roster in the first place. He's not Jason Voorhees, and he looks more like a pissed-off groundskeeper than an iconic horror-movie serial killer.

#NotTheRealJason

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't have added Roy to the roster in the first place. He's not Jason Voorhees, and he looks more like a pissed-off groundskeeper than an iconic horror-movie serial killer.

#NotTheRealJason

I do hate those shears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long story short: Roy's coco for cocoa puffs & the developers didn't want to put a TON of coding in for his son & put an ambulance in fir his start location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s because Part 5 wasn’t planned to be in the regular game mode at all. Gun had Roy added as a regular Jason after they realized Illfonic lacked the skill set to complete the Paranoia game mode. Fact. The teaser for Paranoia was all about “Who is V?” Who is Part 5? The Virtual Cabin 2.0 eluded to this as well.

The Part 5 blue mask was supposed to Jason’s mask that spawned in a random counselor’s inventory for Paranoia game mode. When used, it would grant the counselor the capability of injuring counselors and killing them stealthily.

i honestly don’t know what happened with Paranoia and the rich, deep complexities that Gun acted like needed to go into it. The mask is already an item that can be picked up and show in a counselor’s inventory. All they would need to do is create a condition set for what happened when the item was either in inventory or “used.” There’s already a modifier for when the mask is in a counselor’s inventory with it not triggering Pam’s cry for help so I don’t know what Illfonic couldn’t figure out here. They completely dropped the ball on Paranoia and that’s when Roy was added as a regular Jason no why it doesn’t make sense. Instead of making Paranoia work, they rerouted their time in creating a Jason that doesn’t make sense being in the regular mode. I truly wonder what was so utterly complex about coding this that it couldn’t be done. It’s all triggers surrounding the mask with true scripts. When I found out Illfonic couldn’t figure out how to make Paranoia, I knew they were indeed trash. Very disappointing but that’s why Roy is a “Jason” and why there are discrepancies in him being in the regular mode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

It’s because Part 5 wasn’t planned to be in the regular game mode at all. Gun had Roy added as a regular Jason after they realized Illfonic lacked the skill set to complete the Paranoia game mode. Fact. The teaser for Paranoia was all about “Who is V?” Who is Part 5? The Virtual Cabin 2.0 eluded to this as well.

The Part 5 blue mask was supposed to Jason’s mask that spawned in a random counselor’s inventory for Paranoia game mode. When used, it would grant the counselor the capability of injuring counselors and killing them stealthily.

i honestly don’t know what happened with Paranoia and the rich, deep complexities that Gun acted like needed to go into it. The mask is already an item that can be picked up and show in a counselor’s inventory. All they would need to do is create a condition set for what happened when the item was either in inventory or “used.” There’s already a modifier for when the mask is in a counselor’s inventory with it not triggering Pam’s cry for help so I don’t know what Illfonic couldn’t figure out here. They completely dropped the ball on Paranoia and that’s when Roy was added as a regular Jason no why it doesn’t make sense. Instead of making Paranoia work, they rerouted their time in creating a Jason that doesn’t make sense being in the regular mode. I truly wonder what was so utterly complex about coding this that it couldn’t be done. It’s all triggers surrounding the mask with true scripts. When I found out Illfonic couldn’t figure out how to make Paranoia, I knew they were indeed trash. Very disappointing but that’s why Roy is a “Jason” and why there are discrepancies in him being in the regular mode. 

Roy is as real a Jason as Jason, they’re both fictional characters. Personally I’m glad Roy’s in the game.

I’d like to know how Paranoia was supposed to work but nothing has been confirmed as far as I know. Your idea isn’t bad, but how would a normal Counselor move around the map in your version, would they gain Jason’s powers? Could they break down doors? Would they Morph and appear as Roy? See your explanation just leaves me with more questions, I wish it was as simple as you make it out to be @BeautyNumber2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 5:36 PM, Slasher_Clone said:

It always bothered me how most fans always assume that Jason is Jason. His physical appearance changes dramatically, who says they all weren’t like Roy, just his possession by Jason isn’t as far along as the hermit from part two, or any of the other Jason’s. Part 3-4 it’s clearly a different Jason than part 2.

Not to get off of the part 5 topic but when they made part 3 they retconned hillbilly Jason implying what Ginny saw at the end of the movie was a dream and just her vision of what was under the sack. As far as part 4, since the Jason make-up was done by Savini and looked like a grown up version of child Jason from part 1, I'd say that's definitely the original Jason Voorhees. Also the make up in part 5 was based off of part 4. And if you count ghost Jason as being real and not just a figment of Tommy's imagination, then that's the real Jason too. And if that's the case then whose to say that Roy Burns wasn't possessed by Jason's spirit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Somethin Cool said:

Not to get off of the part 5 topic but when they made part 3 they retconned hillbilly Jason implying what Ginny saw at the end of the movie was a dream and just her vision of what was under the sack. As far as part 4, since the Jason make-up was done by Savini and looked like a grown up version of child Jason from part 1, I'd say that's definitely the original Jason Voorhees. Also the make up in part 5 was based off of part 4. And if you count ghost Jason as being real and not just a figment of Tommy's imagination, then that's the real Jason too. And if that's the case then whose to say that Roy Burns wasn't possessed by Jason's spirit?

Yeah, I think there’s a metaphorical thread there that can be pulled to unravel the story in a more organic way. Jason to me has always been the tormented little boy who just wants to make his mother proud, but I don’t necessarily think he’s the only one at Crystal Lake that has been effected by the lake, Pamela and Tina come to mind. His powers could be better explained but without possession being included early I’m not sure if you could link them up. 

It would be interesting to see if you could track the kills and set a number where he changes magically into a more true version of himself. Using the kills to solidify himself in this world. By treating Jason as a ghostly force right from the start, you could line it up much neater than otherwise. At least that’s how I think I’d try to re-spin it, it’s that or another reboot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 1:56 PM, Somethin Cool said:

And if that's the case then whose to say that Roy Burns wasn't possessed by Jason's spirit?

Thats my take on it or the curse itself seems to posess those who have died at the lake or have lost a loved one in the vicinity of the lake and gives them supernatural powers to avenge their losses. Tina's father was even brought back by the lake to stop Jason.

Last note: Tina showed that psychic phenomena was real, so what Alice may have seen was Jason projecting psychic attacks on Alice's mind as she slept in the boat after he witnessed her kill Pamela. 

I love Roy, I was wrong for hating part 5 because he got some cool kills, and hes the closest we will get to Pamela in game, due to lawsuit and likeness rights. Hes the only human and non-Voorhees killer in the game.

If things change with the lawsuit, they could ask permission from Betsy Palmer's daughter for the likeness like with Fox or just add zombie Pamela from part 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Skuuller said:

So I haven't bought the game because of the lawsuit thing going on and since its over should I buy it

 

The lawsuit isn’t over, Sean has filed for an appeal. Even if the lawsuit ends there’s no guarantee that content will resume, however the game is still awesome if you like asymmetrical horror. I don’t think the other asymmetrical horror games are even half of what Friday is. 

If you wait to pick it up, I think you’ll miss your chance to enjoy it as it is now but really it’s up to you, if you think it’s worth 20 bucks or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple answer is too much extra features to add just for one specific Jason. If this were made by a triple-A developer with a huge team, we'd have loads of features or possibly could have even circumvented the cease and desist from Horror Inc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, I like Roy the way he is. I think it’s a nice tribute to have Roy be literally identical to Jason. It makes him more scary than as if he was just a “human”. 

Also, I really like the “Jason’s spirit takes over Roy’s body” theory. It kinda would explain why he was able to take a good amount of damage, rage through a door, be everywhere at once, etc. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×