Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Thrasher

Betrayals, suicides, and leaves should count as a kill for Jason

Recommended Posts

For real. I don't think it's fair for anyone playing as Jason. Counsellors are not deterred by committing suicide, or losing 1000xp, or being taken to the salt mines. A lot of players would rather kill themselves, or leave the match, then just admit defeat and have Jason kill them when it finally comes to it. It's especially unfair when one of the players do not want to play the game properly and spend the matching killing other counsellors, making Jason lose out on even more kills.

Thoughts?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fine idea in theory. But there's always the draw back of people who suicide to deny a teaming Jason the kill. I'm not saying that it's always the case. But it is a problem that I can't see a work around for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, suiciding, betraying and quitting should count as Jason kills. Just a +100 point kill, no bonuses.

It'll help teamers, but they're at an advantage already anyway.

I had one game where I chased a player into Pinehurst, injuring them with a knife on the way in. I followed him in and upstairs, and in his desperation he threw himself through a closed window. The window and falling damage killed him - it was an honest mistake, but the only reason he died from it was because of my knife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thrasher said:

For real. I don't think it's fair for anyone playing as Jason. Counsellors are not deterred by committing suicide, or losing 1000xp, or being taken to the salt mines. A lot of players would rather kill themselves, or leave the match, then just admit defeat and have Jason kill them when it finally comes to it. It's especially unfair when one of the players do not want to play the game properly and spend the matching killing other counsellors, making Jason lose out on even more kills.

Thoughts?

Committing suicide in the game is permissible, but it's being abused more than anyone would have expected.

People who suicide by way of getting hit by another player "accidentally", are doing that to screw over the other player.

People who betray others, are likely either at level 150 (can't level down) or don't care about leveling up and stay in the lower levels.

Players who leave the match before dying are earning salt and being put into the salt mines. (I guess that's still a thing?) If you aren't earning salt, then you shouldn't run into them as much? (If salt mines work as intended)

As far as players playing "properly", that's a perspective most people will never fully agree on. Some follow the escape route, while others hunt and/or beat Jason senseless just because they can. One player's normal is another player's abnormal.

1 hour ago, KenshiroHNK said:

The problem always comes with Jason helpers...

It's funny watching Jason helpers try to help Jason. I was in a match last night, and someone attempted to hoard parts and lock them away. Unknown to them, I found their stash, and grabbed the battery before they could lock it up. Later in the match, the same someone asked who had the battery, and I didn't say a word. I finished the 2-seater, grabbed another player on the way out, and escaped. The Jason player and helper left after the match.

22 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

But there's always the draw back of people who suicide to deny a teaming Jason the kill. I'm not saying that it's always the case.

Sounds like a good counter troll tactic.

21 minutes ago, Cheex said:

I agree, suiciding, betraying and quitting should count as Jason kills. Just a +100 point kill, no bonuses.

It'll help teamers, but they're at an advantage already anyway.

I had one game where I chased a player into Pinehurst, injuring them with a knife on the way in. I followed him in and upstairs, and in his desperation he threw himself through a closed window. The window and falling damage killed him - it was an honest mistake, but the only reason he died from it was because of my knife.

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, giving Jason credit for the kill might deter people from suicide. On the other hand, some people will say Jason shouldn't get any credit for a kill he didn't actually perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, giving Jason credit for the kill might deter people from suicide. On the other hand, some people will say Jason shouldn't get any credit for a kill he didn't actually perform.

On the first hand, though, Jason's goal is to stop counsellors from surviving.

Plus, it's not so much a reward (especially if you're not giving them a Variety or Context Kill bonus), more like a compensation for the lost opportunity cost. If someone goes off and suicides so they can come back as Tommy, they've denied Jason a potential kill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cheex said:

On the first hand, though, Jason's goal is to stop counsellors from surviving.

Plus, it's not so much a reward (especially if you're not giving them a Variety or Context Kill bonus), more like a compensation for the lost opportunity cost. If someone goes off and suicides so they can come back as Tommy, they've denied Jason a potential kill.

A counselor escaping and coming back as Tommy could be looked at in the same manner.

The thing about creative players, is that they think outside the box. That's why so many exploits, loopholes and technicalities are found in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

A counselor escaping and coming back as Tommy could be looked at in the same manner.

The thing about creative players, is that they think outside the box. That's why so many exploits, loopholes and technicalities are found in this game.

Not even close to the same at all - legitimate escapes obviously shouldn't reward Jason, because their goal is to survive, and Jason has every chance to stop a repair or kill everyone before the timer runs out. A counsellor who suicides just needs to climb through a broken window a few times or step in a couple of their own traps.

And if players want to 'think outside the box' and kill themselves to come back as Tommy (with a 50/50 chance of failing, unless someone else has already quit), then in this system they still can. Jason will just get some compensation for having no chance to stop the counsellor from doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about it a bit more I'm okay with giving Jason the kill if they leave. Betrayal, or suicide I'm still against though. I'd have been okay with betrayal, if not for all the times the Jason teamers run people over in addition to the rest of their appalling behavior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should only count as a kill if a counselor stepped in Jason’s trap or if they were hit by him before leaving or suicide. This was obviously too nuanced for Illfonic to program even though the coding would be very easy. All they’d have to change is the localization and the modifier which would indicate that being injured by Jason before leaving or dying would count as a kill. There’s already a modifier that grants bonus points for being unscathed so there could easily be one that immediately gives Jason a kill if the person he struck left the game or whose condition was suicide. The same way when a counselor dies by stepping in a counselor trap distinguishes them as being “murdered” but not count as a kill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 7:18 PM, Thrasher said:

For real. I don't think it's fair for anyone playing as Jason. Counsellors are not deterred by committing suicide, or losing 1000xp, or being taken to the salt mines. A lot of players would rather kill themselves, or leave the match, then just admit defeat and have Jason kill them when it finally comes to it. It's especially unfair when one of the players do not want to play the game properly and spend the matching killing other counsellors, making Jason lose out on even more kills.

Thoughts?

I agree. Have it go to a cutscene for leavers showing Jason grabbing the leaving counselor and killing them, then the credit for a kill going to Jason. Suicides would count as kills too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other night I was chasing a known troll/bullier, she didn''t have any help or likely anymore knives/sprays so she kept trying to kill herself through a window, but I slashed her before she got the chance to do so.

Very gratifying.

There is definitely a double standard in the community or people play for what they want to play for and if they can't enjoy themselves, they quit. Case in point, if Jason can't be killed or bullied or there is any chance is he's going to clean the lobby, the counselor will rage quit mid grab or slash. Likewise in reverse if a self entitled Jason player is feeling the threat of death, he'll raqe quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kill the counselor before they can suicide. 

As for betrayals, how does Jason get any credit for it?  

You either have some idiot driving around intentionally trying to hit people or you have some idiot who intentionally stands behind the car as Jason is in front of it.  Jason didn't cause me to hit the person behind me, their stupidity caused me to hit them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, Thrasher said:

For real. I don't think it's fair for anyone playing as Jason. Counsellors are not deterred by committing suicide, or losing 1000xp, or being taken to the salt mines. A lot of players would rather kill themselves, or leave the match, then just admit defeat and have Jason kill them when it finally comes to it. It's especially unfair when one of the players do not want to play the game properly and spend the matching killing other counsellors, making Jason lose out on even more kills.

Thoughts?

   Suicide is not the answer and should never be rewarded under any circumstances. A suicide should count as a kill for Jason for one simple reason... that player, counselor or whatever you want to call them... would never have committed suicide if Jason was not present... Just by being there, Jason contributed to their death by giving them their reason to commit suicide... Also, as we should never be rewarding a suicide in ANY way, no suicide should ever be allowed to come back as Tommy.

   As far as betrayals... I have to agree with everyone else talking about the Jason helpers. This would just lead to more of that behavior... even though the player running people over with the car is losing 1000XP per kill, and Jason is only getting 100XP per kill.

   People who quit before they are killed should also count... and if the kill animation has started before they quit, then Jason does already get the experience... the same with Jason's who quit mid kill animation, it still registers as a Jason kill for the counselors... but I think the kill should be registered if a counselor quits while caught in Jason's grip even before the kill animation starts... and the Jason kill should still count if the Jason player quits after the sweater stun has been activated. Just by quitting in these circumstances, they are admitting defeat and the other side should still reap the benefits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 12:25 AM, Cheex said:

Not even close to the same at all - legitimate escapes obviously shouldn't reward Jason, because their goal is to survive, and Jason has every chance to stop a repair or kill everyone before the timer runs out. A counsellor who suicides just needs to climb through a broken window a few times or step in a couple of their own traps.

And if players want to 'think outside the box' and kill themselves to come back as Tommy (with a 50/50 chance of failing, unless someone else has already quit), then in this system they still can. Jason will just get some compensation for having no chance to stop the counsellor from doing so.

Even with the 100 XP to Jason for a player committing suicide, it's not likely to deter people who do it to either come back as Tommy, or leave to find another lobby. The 1000 XP penalty to players for betraying one another hasn't really stopped people from hitting one another with cars. It seems some people don't care about the consequences for their actions.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:48 AM, thrawn3054 said:

Thinking about it a bit more I'm okay with giving Jason the kill if they leave. Betrayal, or suicide I'm still against though. I'd have been okay with betrayal, if not for all the times the Jason teamers run people over in addition to the rest of their appalling behavior. 

We're on the same page with that one.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

   People who quit before they are killed should also count... and if the kill animation has started before they quit, then Jason does already get the experience... the same with Jason's who quit mid kill animation, it still registers as a Jason kill for the counselors... but I think the kill should be registered if a counselor quits while caught in Jason's grip even before the kill animation starts... and the Jason kill should still count if the Jason player quits after the sweater stun has been activated. Just by quitting in these circumstances, they are admitting defeat and the other side should still reap the benefits.

I agree. Once the game registers that Jason is killing a counselor, or being killed by a counselor, credit should be awarded immediately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Jason hasn't already grabbed the quitter, he shouldn't get the kill for it. Sure, you could say "He was ABOUT to kill him but they quit and denied him the kill", but you could just as easily say "I was ABOUT to hit him and make him drop him/her and deny him the kill".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...