CrazyRalph

Im sorry, Gore is kinda...MEH

I'm not sure how I can make that point any more clear but I'll try. What you sell in preorders is very often just a percentage of what you'll make post-launch. And a large, and in some games cases very huge, part of that sales point come from post-launch distributors. If you can't have access to those distributors you essentially cut your own throat in that section of the market. I can't count the number of people I know right now I either know personally or that I've conversed with online alone that are waiting until it's available on Steam or GameStop to buy. Some folks just don't trust or like using the backer kit.

Now if your argument is to up the gore but remain inside the M rating, sure, go for it. But at a point it may cross that AO threshhold, which is when it has to be scaled back. As for the comparison to Sniper, Dead Space and MW2, those games, their high body counts, and super gore are still rated M, not AO, which allows them to be sold at all retailers and displayed as well. I'm not saying I like the ratings system or the way people use it, but that's just how things work atm, and retailers just hate AO games.

Ratings are finicky, even with movies. I always found it odd that you could drop one F-bomb and have 1 decapitation and remain a PG-13 rating, but any more than that and you get the big R. Go to far over that these days and you get rated a NC-17, which to me feels like it should be the same as R but it isn't, and many theaters won't carry those, which is why you see so many re-edited Uncut versions released later of R-rated movies.

Sure, you could discard that all together if you were not in the market to make as much as possible with a game like this, but I doubt very much that's the goal.

Hopefully that's a bit more clear. I was more explaining why they don't want an AO rating as opposed to an M, so there may be some limits to keeping that, and given the sheer brutality and types of Jason's kills, that, like the PG-13 and R movie rating, may be some tricky waters to navigate. A certain amount of brutality may be fine but a certain type might not. It's weird.

no still dont see it so you're saying its ok to slaughter innocent people as long as its high body counts and a military shooter...? what about fallout you can blow a the first town children and all to hell with a nuke and manhunt obvious what you do there you left them out???? and none of that really pertaned to the fact that you're saying that somthing most companies are doing will get a AO rating shit i can right a list of games if you want that are more violent and have all the characteristics that you say will give this an AO rating and this isnt made for Nintendo and sony has the whole gta saga that does alot that should be a AO game drugs sex and if you want extensive violence plus they said that they are worrying about north amarican first if it passes here but not Europe they will release it here and work on there game style later and if people are so worried why have they got 2m in funding from backer and for the whole movie thing i have one gremlins they blend microwave boil them let alone what they do to towns people and swear and thats pg 13

no still dont see it so you're saying its ok to slaughter innocent people as long as its high body counts and a military shooter...? what about fallout you can blow a the first town children and all to hell with a nuke and manhunt obvious what you do there you left them out and none of that really pertaned to the fact that you're saying that somthing most companies are doing will get a AO rating shit i can right a list of games if you want that are more violent and have all the characteristics that you say will give this an AO rating and this isnt made for Nintendo and sony has the whole gta saga that does alot that should be a AO game drugs sex and if you want extensive violence plus they said that they are worrying about north amarican first if it passes here but not Europe they will release it here and work on there game style later and if people are so worried why have they got 2m in funding from backer and for the whole movie thing i have one gremlins they blend microwave boil them let alone what they do to towns people and swear and thats pg 13

No man. I'm saying I'm not the rating board but the rating board is finicky, so me on the subject of determining what can and can't make it ain't gonna happen. I'm simply trying (and apparently failing) to explain to you that history has shown through several different games, several different times that gore can, depending on how graphic, lead to it being issued an AO rating instead of an MA.  

From your tone you seem to appear to think that I am arguing that the game shouldn't have gore or something. I am not. I am simply trying to explain, with very clear examples, how ratings for games have not always landed an MA. If you want to know why that is, you might want to write ESRB or PEGI. I can only tell you that it happens, not 100% why. But it happens, even when there are other clear examples that appear to be worse in some cases.

Take Manhunt and CoD2 as per your examples. On the one hand, CoD2's No Russian level did get that game into controversy but ultimately, if I recall correctly, it was still granted the MA rating and its equivalent for other countries. Then on the other hand you have Manhunt 2, which had to be edited down from some of its graphic content to be granted an MA rating as it was initially given an AO. I play a lot of games and have played many more, so any list of gore-filled games you want to offer, I've probably played it at some point.

With that in mind, and remember again, I am simply telling you how wonky these rating boards work. I don't make the ratings and have said several times how they decide some of this is silly, "IF" F13 were to be given an AO rating it would likely not be allowed to release on PS4 or XBox One, which they are targeting. And thus would have to be edited down and resubmitted.

Hopefully, that last attempt summed all that up. If it didn't I tried. See you ingame.

No man. I'm saying I'm not the rating board but the rating board is finicky, so me on the subject of determining what can and can't make it ain't gonna happen. I'm simply trying (and apparently failing) to explain to you that history has shown through several different games, several different times that gore can, depending on how graphic, lead to it being issued an AO rating instead of an MA.

From your tone you seem to appear to think that I am arguing that the game shouldn't have gore or something. I am not. I am simply trying to explain, with very clear examples, how ratings for games have not always landed an MA. If you want to know why that is, you might want to write ESRB or PEGI. I can only tell you that it happens, not 100% why. But it happens, even when there are other clear examples that appear to be worse in some cases.

Take Manhunt and CoD2 as per your examples. On the one hand, CoD2's No Russian level did get that game into controversy but ultimately, if I recall correctly, it was still granted the MA rating and its equivalent for other countries. Then on the other hand you have Manhunt 2, which had to be edited down from some of its graphic content to be granted an MA rating as it was initially given an AO. I play a lot of games and have played many more, so any list of gore-filled games you want to offer, I've probably played it at some point.

With that in mind, and remember again, I am simply telling you how wonky these rating boards work. I don't make the ratings and have said several times how they decide some of this is silly, "IF" F13 were to be given an AO rating it would likely not be allowed to release on PS4 or XBox One, which they are targeting. And thus would have to be edited down and resubmitted.

Hopefully, that last attempt summed all that up. If it didn't I tried. See you ingame.

no it did lol i get what you're saing im saying that gore wont push it maybe if there was drugs sex and or a adult theam but its just a slasher better graphics wont be a game breaker no pun intended still never said anything to fallout????

I agree with you all on the need for screams, but that's where we come in with the use of a headset. I know not everyone will have access to one right away, but for those who do have it the experience will be amped up hearing the expression from the player than from the on-screen character. Let's face it, nobody screams the same. Ever. As far as the want of more gore... yeah the game could be a little more awesome with a little more gore.

no it did lol i get what you're saing im saying that gore wont push it maybe if there was drugs sex and or a adult theam but its just a slasher better graphics wont be a game breaker no pun intended still never said anything to fallout

Fallout  has drug use as well, so the point I was attempting to make still stands. I didn't say the way they reach these conclusions makes any kind of good sense. I honestly believe it's just subjective in many cases.

I wonder how much money a game company would stand to lose because their game went AO instead of M.

The AO vs M distinction is dumb in the first place. It really only serves to harm games that go AO. People are too sensitive regarding what's in games.

Edit: Apparently mostly all of the money. Because no console will release an AO game anymore. Lame.

I wonder how much money a game company would stand to lose because their game went AO instead of M.

The AO vs M distinction is dumb in the first place. It really only serves to harm games that go AO. People are too sensitive regarding what's in games.

Edit: Apparently mostly all of the money. Because no console will release an AO game anymore. Lame.

The silliness was in part the point I was trying to make earlier. There are guidelines and some games clearly more violent than others. Yet, there are times when they will slap an AO rating on this title or that title. The reasons seem to be completely subjective at times and often just make no sense. However, they do still happen.

Some folks have indicated it's the closer you get to real looking vs say cartoony, the more chance you'll get slapped with the dreaded AO. No idea how true that is, and maybe that's part of the problem, a lack of symmetry.

Fallout has drug use as well, so the point I was attempting to make still stands. I didn't say the way they reach these conclusions makes any kind of good sense. I honestly believe it's just subjective in many cases.

well if the way they rate is different from one to the other then most likely we can have better gore ok thanks lol
  • Like 1

well if the way they rate is different from one to the other then most likely we can have better gore ok thanks lol

Maybe. Maybe not. You're welcome.

• Like 1

Maybe. Maybe not. You're welcome.

the thanks was sarcastic but its all the same so anyone have some ideas on how to make it more gore filled there are alot of good ideas in the thread

The ESRB is a broken system.... Its inconsistent as fuck.. and once more instead of serving the purpose it was created for (Rating games for RECOMMENDED usage,) it only serves to act as a moral outreach buffer for console developers. If they think something will spark a controversy... they slap it with an A/O which is essentially a game death sentience. It lost its actual purpose long ago.

Steam will release almost anything at this point regardless of rating, a solid thing to do as a video game distributor it allows for more experimentation and a wider selection of game titles. The consoles on the other hand are only products of sony and microsoft... so they don't want anything that would "Hurt the image..." of their family friendly overpriced shitboxes.. Fuck, they only reason they still exist is exclusive game titles...

ON TOPIC..

The kills in this game are fantastic (When they don't bug XD).  The gore on the other hand is over all mediocre, but honestly it doesn't detract much from the experience for me. If this game could rock killing floor 2 levels of blood and guts it would be nice, but honestly the beta implementation we saw was acceptable for a kickstarter game.

I honestly think the kill animations over all are more important to the experience.

• Like 1

they would lose a lot of money if it went ao most stores refuse to sell ao and that includes steam they tried to remove that game hatred a while back for being a bloody murder gore fest but put it back up due to backlash they have to be careful and maybe in a few years add more kill details since by then they have been around for a while and the esrb and distributors will be more leaniante with this game

the thanks was sarcastic but its all the same so anyone have some ideas on how to make it more gore filled there are alot of good ideas in the thread

The "you're welcome" was a rebuttal to the obvious sarcasm delivery. :P

And I'd still like to see the pole rip near the start of Jason Goes to Hell where the two are making out in the tent.

The "you're welcome" was a rebuttal to the obvious sarcasm delivery. :P

And I'd still like to see the pole rip near the start of Jason Goes to Hell where the two are making out in the tent.

That's the best part of that movie- Director's Cut only.

• Like 1

I think the fact that you're playing as a serial killer murdering innocent people factors pretty heavily into the rating.  I mean, Manhunt 2 wasn't that gory either but they got rated AO.  Dead Space etc. you're mostly fighting non-humans or extremely evil monsters/aliens, and violence against them is considered a much lesser offense than chopping an innocent teenager's head off.

• Like 1

Whats to say they are innocent

Quiet Freddy, you just want Jason to kill them all on Elm Street so you can get your power back.

Quiet Freddy, you just want Jason to kill them all on Elm Street so you can get your power back.

No that fucker is to kill happy he kills all my children of elm street and leaves me nothing.

But really none of the kids in the movies are really innocent (f13)

No that fucker is to kill happy he kills all my children of elm street and leaves me nothing.

But really none of the kids in the movies are really inocent

Off topic but the kids on Elm Street rarely had it coming, most weren't trouble makers and were usually just troubled. Freddy's a dick. ;)

• Like 1

Off topic but the kids on Elm Street rarely had it coming, most weren't trouble makers and were usually just troubled. Freddy's a dick. ;)

Hey there parents sealed there fates lol

• Like 1

Hey there parents sealed there fates lol

how many parents were involved in this ive always wondered cause every nightmare on elm street movie he is killing new kids

Well i think thats enough freddy and nightmare on elm street talk we gone completely off topic of the original post lol