K1tT3n

Potential way to stop counsellors from bullying jason

16 hours ago, Fair Play said:

I won't say you are the only one. I've read of others who feel similar to you on that matter.

Well judging from all the complaining I am certainly in the minority for being of that opinion. 

I remember the first time I came across one of these "bullying" groups; I had 4 counselors successfully push me into having tunnel-vision to the point that in the time I spent chasing them around that I didn't notice someone had entered my shack and retrieved the sweater until it was too late and they killed me. 

Did I rage quit or berate them for "bullying?" No. What I did do was commend them on employing a successful strategy. And that's what they did: employ strategy. A gamer playing to their individual strengths and exploiting the weaknesses of their opponent(s) is not "bullying" or cheating or anything other than smart gameplay.  

The best way to counter this? Play smarter as Jason or don't play Jason at all unless you're in offline mode playing against retarded bots. Just don't play on the normal or hard difficulty settings lest you encounter counselors who spawn with pocket knives and fire crackers who will deploy them both simultaneously and leave you cursing the AI as opposed to players who are just better at a game than you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drop.Dead.Cynical said:

Well judging from all the complaining I am certainly in the minority for being of that opinion. 

I remember the first time I came across one of these "bullying" groups; I had 4 counselors successfully push me into having tunnel-vision to the point that in the time I spent chasing them around that I didn't notice someone had entered my shack and retrieved the sweater until it was too late and they killed me. 

Did I rage quit or berate them for "bullying?" No. What I did do was commend them on employing a successful strategy. And that's what they did: employ strategy. A gamer playing to their individual strengths and exploiting the weaknesses of their opponent(s) is not "bullying" or cheating or anything other than smart gameplay.  

The best way to counter this? Play smarter as Jason or don't play Jason at all unless you're in offline mode playing against retarded bots. Just don't play on the normal or hard difficulty settings lest you encounter counselors who spawn with pocket knives and fire crackers who will deploy them both simultaneously and leave you cursing the AI as opposed to players who are just better at a game than you. 

There are very few members here that I've seen that are in the same camp as you. As members here are only a portion of the actual players of this game, we'll never know how popular that mindset is. You have a slightly more positive attitude about the hunting parties here than most. I commend you on that.

I never criticize logical strategy used by other players. If one takes me down as Jason fair and square, I'll take the loss like a man and commend the team on a job well done. I don't cut and run like a great number of players who rage quit as soon as they are in a perilous state. If I help to defeat a good Jason or a dick Jason (I don't pick on newer Jason players), I'll commend them on the effort they gave.

I enjoy the harder modes of Offline. I've noticed the pocketknife / firecracker combo that the AI bots use. I don't fall for it, as they use the knife to escape, and then drop the firecrackers while retreating. The typical Jason would take a step forward into the firecrackers, and get stunned right after the pocketknife. Instead, I step away and avoid the firecrackers altogether.

Exploiting an opponent's weakness, is a very good topic that likely needs its own thread. I look forward to such a topic coming up, and the experts at this game would weigh in on it.

• Like 1

My positive outlook on the game is most likely a result of my recognition that this game is exactly that: a game.  If I were to get all pissy every time I come across someone who either possess greater skill at it or just for lucky it would defeat the purpose of playing to begin with. 

I like playing against the "hard" boys to practice my shift-grab as well as target leading with throwing knives. The pocket knife/fire cracker combo is a little annoying to me for the simple fact that the AI uses it more often than not. The predictability of it makes it easy to counter (as you explained) but the banality of it leaves much to be desired. 

As an aside: is there a perk which allows players to spawn with a pocket knife or is that reserved for AI only? If the former is the case,  it must be extremely rare cause I've yet to roll one. 

5 minutes ago, Drop.Dead.Cynical said:

My positive outlook on the game is most likely a result of my recognition that this game is exactly that: a game.  If I were to get all pissy every time I come across someone who either possess greater skill at it or just for lucky it would defeat the purpose of playing to begin with. 

I like playing against the "hard" boys to practice my shift-grab as well as target leading with throwing knives. The pocket knife/fire cracker combo is a little annoying to me for the simple fact that the AI uses it more often than not. The predictability of it makes it easy to counter (as you explained) but the banality of it leaves much to be desired. 

As an aside: is there a perk which allows players to spawn with a pocket knife or is that reserved for AI only? If the former is the case,  it must be extremely rare cause I've yet to roll one. 

To be the best, one must play against the best. Those are words to live by.

There was a perk planned for this game to start with a pocketknife, but it was removed prior to launch, most likely because it would have been used by most players. I believe the AI bots mostly start with a pocketknife and firecrackers, but it's not always 100%.

2 hours ago, Drop.Dead.Cynical said:

You have the right opinion that being put into rage mode by a piñata party five minutes in does put every other member of the counselor's team at a disadvantage... I would go so far as to say that putting Jason in rage mode within the first few minutes may as well be called... "helping Jason." And a Jason put into early rage has screwed me over as a counselor on many occasions in which I would have (probably) escaped long before rage mode would normally occur. The 'bullies' do not see this, because they had already been slashed to death and moved on to another match to do it again... usually leaving a very pissed off Jason player behind. Early rage mode has also helped me find and kill players that are otherwise a challenge to find before rage mode... and these are players that would normally be long gone before rage mode hits. This in no way makes a piñata party any less annoying.
   I can kill the most skilled players one on one, virtually every time... some are quite shocked at how quickly I dealt with them... but when they are grouped up and Jason spends more time on his ass than on his feet, that is just annoying.

"All is fair in love and war" is often used as an excuse to try and piss people off in this game to the point where they make mistakes like the one you mentioned above. This is neither love, nor war... it is a game... and the person they are being rude to is going to be a member of their "team' in the very next match. If someone is trying to piss you off for ANY reason in a game, they are assholes... plain and simple. I will offer no commendation to ANYONE for being an asshole... But for those that manage to kill me without resorting to being an asshole... they get the highest of commendations from me for their incredible gameplay. This game can still be fun when dying as a counselor or as Jason... but the assholes take that part of the fun away.
   As far as complaining... I have seen many players disappear from our dwindling player base over this... and not return to play again. I know because I have spoke to quite a few since they left... These were good people that are lost to us now, as far as this game goes... Catering to assholes is not a way to keep a strong player base... and it only takes a few assholes to ruin everything for everyone... if we give them enough time. There are still more good people playing this game than assholes... but the assholes are not yet done trying to drive people away. If anything in this game is worth complaining about... the piñata party issue would be it.

Also... Offline mode is a great place to practice quick throws and learn where the throwing knives tend to spawn... it has its uses, but is otherwise pretty boring.
   And getting pissy because someone is a better player is just dumb... but this is rarely the case with this issue. While getting pissy because of an extremely limiting game mechanic can be exploited rather easily by lesser players is completely different. You can only get as good at a game as the play mechanics allow... and yes, players of lesser skill than the piñata Jason player do exist and can easily exploit this... and it is an issue that needs to be dealt with.
   Each piñata party that a Jason player goes through is a learning experience... but the mechanics of the game greatly limit what we can do about it against veteran piñata smashers that understand the combat mechanics and live to give Jason a headache.

To your aside... no, there is no pocket knife perk... and nor should there be one. We all had such fun last year when camp Crystal Lake was a fully armed and operational battle station with a minimum of seven pocket knives... and enough weapons to take over a small country. If there was a pocket knife perk... pretty much everyone that had it would be using it.

@Fair Play I agree that... "To be the best, one must play against the best.".... but it is a misleading statement. There is always someone better... so who really is the best?... this question is just as difficult to answer as which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    But we sure do get much better at a game much quicker if we play against more skilled players than ourselves... and sometimes, we out do our teachers.

2 minutes ago, Ahab said:

@Fair Play I agree that... "To be the best, one must play against the best.".... but it is a misleading statement. There is always someone better... so who really is the best?... this question is just as difficult to answer as which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    But we sure do get much better at a game much quicker if we play against more skilled players than ourselves... and sometimes, we out do our teachers.

It can be misleading. I was always taught, there are those that are  better than you at things in life, and those who are worse than you. We'll never know who is the best player of this game, or the worse. With each new player that joins in the fun, it moves people up and down the ladder.

I've been taught a great many things by many mentors, eventually exceeding their potential. I've also had my daughters exceed my own potential  since then as well.

I've been working on the chicken vs. egg dilemma foe quite some time. I end up frying or scrambling the eggs, and grilling the chicken, or making a nice batch of chicken enchiladas. It looks like it's back to the drawing board. 😎

15 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

It can be misleading. I was always taught, there are those that are  better than you at things in life, and those who are worse than you. We'll never know who is the best player of this game, or the worse. With each new player that joins in the fun, it moves people up and down the ladder.

I've been taught a great many things by many mentors, eventually exceeding their potential. I've also had my daughters exceed my own potential  since then as well.

I've been working on the chicken vs. egg dilemma foe quite some time. I end up frying or scrambling the eggs, and grilling the chicken, or making a nice batch of chicken enchiladas. It looks like it's back to the drawing board. 😎

Egg, Dinosaurs laid them long before there were chickens. 😊 😝 

@Ahab If you ask me, if anyone is the asshole it is Jason for showing up to kill these counselors who did him no wrong. 😂

Seriously, though, I stand by my previous comments regarding Jason "bullying." Whether or not these players are "assholes" or just have a mind for offensive tactics is ultimately a matter of opinion and ours are clearly at odds. But I do thank you for your input.

Edited by Drop.Dead.Cynical
because my fingers are the dumb.

1 hour ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Egg, Dinosaurs laid them long before there were chickens. 😊 😝 

That puts an interesting spin on the situation. I honestly forgot about that.

Scrambled dino eggs, I wonder how those would taste?

16 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Like chicken, which brings us full circle. 

Very profound...

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, Fair Play said:

The best of the best... there is a reason why titles change hands and do not remain with the person who was the best when he (or she) got his (or her) title... and no one keeps their title forever... one person's recorded achievement will eventually be outdone by another... who will in turn, have his achievement outdone by yet another.... For those who have not had their achievements outdone by another yet... I will point out the key word in that sentence is "yet."
    But some things have limitations, such as how fast a human being can run a mile... eventually, someone will reach this limitation... but so will others.

The chicken and the egg thing is a profound question, but when we consider evolution... the egg came first... but what is an egg?
    All life started out as a one celled organism... and the egg is structured as a one celled organism. For many animals, the egg is still one cell... with half of a genetic code. When the code is completed by the addition of another cell with a compatible 'other half' of the genetic code in question... cellular division begins and eventually... well, you know what happens from there. Knowing this... we can move onto genetics...
    After the original one cell life form that everything else came from began to multiply, it simply evolved through mutation of when the 'on, off' switches on the chromosomes... turn themselves on or off during development of the new cell... This led to multi cellular organisms which evolved new ways to reproduce based on the original method (among other things)... which is evident in the structure of the egg itself... as it is structured in the same manner as a one celled organism... even when the egg is made up of multiple (or billions of) cells.
    Genetic research has made great leaps and strides in the last few decades... and the answer to evolution is in the genetic code and the similarities all life forms share with each other on that level... Our genetic code is closer to a potato than it is to some other animals (which actually explains a lot)... But all plants and animals share the same 'base code'.

Also... the best scrambled eggs were from the Dodo. I really miss those ugly little shit heads... Now I feel old again.

@Drop.Dead.Cynical Jason is just doing his job... this does not make him an asshole due to two simple facts... We are playing a game... and Jason Voorhees is a "fictional character."

If someone is annoying someone else for their own amusement... no matter what situation they are in... they are assholes. There is nothing you can say that will prove this to not be a fact, it is quite self evident... and even trying to prove it wrong can make you look like quite the fool.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

The best of the best... there is a reason why titles change hands and do not remain with the person who was the best when he (or she) got his (or her) title... and no one keeps their title forever... one person's recorded achievement will eventually be outdone by another... who will in turn, have his achievement outdone by yet another.... For those who have not had their achievements outdone by another yet... I will point out the key word in that sentence is "yet."
    But some things have limitations, such as how fast a human being can run a mile... eventually, someone will reach this limitation... but so will others.

The chicken and the egg thing is a profound question, but when we consider evolution... the egg came first... but what is an egg?
    All life started out as a one celled organism... and the egg is structured as a one celled organism. For many animals, the egg is still one cell... with half of a genetic code. When the code is completed by the addition of another cell with a compatible 'other half' of the genetic code in question... cellular division begins and eventually... well, you know what happens from there. Knowing this... we can move onto genetics...
    After the original one cell life form that everything else came from began to multiply, it simply evolved through mutation of when the 'on, off' switches on the chromosomes... turn themselves on or off during development of the new cell... This led to multi cellular organisms which evolved new ways to reproduce based on the original method (among other things)... which is evident in the structure of the egg itself... as it is structured in the same manner as a one celled organism... even when the egg is made up of multiple (or billions of) cells.
    Genetic research has made great leaps and strides in the last few decades... and the answer to evolution is in the genetic code and the similarities all life forms share with each other on that level... Our genetic code is closer to a potato than it is to some other animals (which actually explains a lot)... But all plants and animals share the same 'base code'.

Also... the best scrambled eggs were from the Dodo. I really miss those ugly little shit heads... Now I feel old again.

@Drop.Dead.Cynical Jason is just doing his job... this does not make him an asshole due to two simple facts... We are playing a game... and Jason Voorhees is a "fictional character."

If someone is annoying someone else for their own amusement... no matter what situation they are in... they are assholes. There is nothing you can say that will prove this to not be a fact, it is quite self evident... and even trying to prove it wrong can make you look like quite the fool.

Titles change hands for a variety of reasons. Age is the main one, given that as one gets older, one doesn't possess the same potential one had as when they were younger. Each of my daughters have been passed torches that I once held, and I am proud of that.

Dodo eggs, I bet they were something. A touch of red pepper flakes and onion, and I bet they would have been something special.

People and potatoes having similar genetic code, I never thought of that. I'll never look at a french fry or potato chip the same way.

I agree on the asshole front. People enjoying the misery of others just for the fact that they can, not cool.

Too bad Jason couldn't pick up one of the "bullies" and throw them into the rest, knocking them all down. Or perhaps grab two and smash their heads together. That could have made counselors think twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fair Play said:

Too bad Jason couldn't pick up one of the "bullies" and throw them into the rest, knocking them all down. Or perhaps grab two and smash their heads together. That could have made counselors think twice.

The double head smash is in game already... in single player challenges. It would be interesting to see it in multi player... as it is in game already and would not count towards new content.

5 hours ago, Ahab said:

The double head smash is in game already... in single player challenges. It would be interesting to see it in multi player... as it is in game already and would not count towards new content.

I forgot about the double smash in SPC. It has been a while since I've played those. It would be nice to see in multiplayer, as it could be a useful tool in Jason's skill set, considering if a rework were to come about for him.

21 hours ago, Fair Play said:

I forgot about the double smash in SPC. It has been a while since I've played those. It would be nice to see in multiplayer, as it could be a useful tool in Jason's skill set, considering if a rework were to come about for him.

How to implement it without adding any new animation would be the question. Do both counselors have to be facing away from you... or could they turn the animation around and still have it look good? It is possible it would look pretty weird with them facing Jason... as it was done with their backs to Jason.
   If it couldn't be changed to look good when they are both facing Jason, then it probably wouldn't be worth it... How often do we sneak up behind two counselors (without being noticed) from behind that are standing close enough together?... If it was put into multi player as is... it would be the rarest of kills.

15 minutes ago, Ahab said:

How to implement it without adding any new animation would be the question. Do both counselors have to be facing away from you... or could they turn the animation around and still have it look good? It is possible it would look pretty weird with them facing Jason... as it was done with their backs to Jason.
   If it couldn't be changed to look good when they are both facing Jason, then it probably wouldn't be worth it... How often do we sneak up behind two counselors (without being noticed) from behind that are standing close enough together?... If it was put into multi player as is... it would be the rarest of kills.

A white whale, if ever there was one Captain.

Edit - speaking of which, why isn’t that your title man, 😉.

19 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I am extremely tenacious and have a hard time quitting anything, even at the cost of my own life... So if the name fits...
   I have even crazier stories than the incident with the whale... Even the voices in my head used to ask me... "What the fuck are you doing?" But, I have calmed down quite a bit in recent years. I actually saw an old friend not long ago... hadn't seen him in years. The first thing he said to me was... "How the hell is it you are still alive?"

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Ahab said:

You raise some good questions about that one. We'll figure it out. Let's get our resident think tank together and come up with the most ideal approach.

32 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

You said what I was thinking.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

You raise some good questions about that one. We'll figure it out. Let's get our resident think tank together and come up with the most ideal approach.

You said what I was thinking.

I like questions... and more eyes to solve a problem always helps.... #Think Tanks Work

If the animations doesn't look so good when they are flipped to face Jason... certain parts of the existing animation may be able to be edited to make it look better. It could work... With some fast cuts on the camera angle... no one would notice a mistake that makes the animation look weird... Just like we do not notice how fake some special effects look in a movie because it was only a two or three second cut, and cut away to something else... but when we pause the movie on that cool looking practical effect... it quickly becomes obvious how fake it looks... But it might look weird to nearby players or spectators still.
   It may be possible... but would it be worth the time and effort?... IF it could be made to look good this way... then it could be that double kill for the piñata Jason parties that people have been wanting for a long time.... no pocket knife allowed because it is not a normal grab... just crowd control, done through a normal attack whenever two counselors are close enough together and in range?
   Counselors would learn to keep their distance from each other when Jason is nearby rather quickly I would think. Other than Jason fighting against groups... I do not see many opportunities in this game for a use for this kill. It is sometimes hard to sneak up on one counselor... and much harder to sneak up on two without their knowledge, they are rarely looking in exactly the same direction.
   But it would be nice to have in multiplayer... now if they could find a way to make some of those other special kills from single player challenges usable in multi player... That would be great. A few could work just fine as environment kills... but that machete kill in the inflatable raft... no one is getting in that raft if that kill was in the game. I can barely get anyone to get in the boat with me as it is now.

3 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I like questions... and more eyes to solve a problem always helps.... #Think Tanks Work

If the animations doesn't look so good when they are flipped to face Jason... certain parts of the existing animation may be able to be edited to make it look better. It could work... With some fast cuts on the camera angle... no one would notice a mistake that makes the animation look weird... Just like we do not notice how fake some special effects look in a movie because it was only a two or three second cut, and cut away to something else... but when we pause the movie on that cool looking practical effect... it quickly becomes obvious how fake it looks... But it might look weird to nearby players or spectators still.
   It may be possible... but would it be worth the time and effort?... IF it could be made to look good this way... then it could be that double kill for the piñata Jason parties that people have been wanting for a long time.... no pocket knife allowed because it is not a normal grab... just crowd control, done through a normal attack whenever two counselors are close enough together and in range?
   Counselors would learn to keep their distance from each other when Jason is nearby rather quickly I would think. Other than Jason fighting against groups... I do not see many opportunities in this game for a use for this kill. It is sometimes hard to sneak up on one counselor... and much harder to sneak up on two without their knowledge, they are rarely looking in exactly the same direction.
   But it would be nice to have in multiplayer... now if they could find a way to make some of those other special kills from single player challenges usable in multi player... That would be great. A few could work just fine as environment kills... but that machete kill in the inflatable raft... no one is getting in that raft if that kill was in the game. I can barely get anyone to get in the boat with me as it is now.

Time to recruit for the think tank.

I like the idea, as it could be a good method of crowd control.

As far as the other unique kills that are currently in SPC, I would migrate a chosen few into multiplayer. SPC should retain some stuff, as it would still give a reason to play that mode.

• Like 1

I'm pretty new but I'd say Jason getting bullied or killed is a fairly rare occurrence - maybe happening 1 in 7 or 8 games on PS4 - and even then, not always successful for the counselors.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, however, I think it would be neat if Jason had some sort of a counter measure to deal with it. Someone said that a buff for Jason when there were 3 or more counselors in close proximity would be good and I would expand on that and say that each individual Jason should have something unique that would unlock for him when 3 or more counselors were on him.

A few ideas could be an Area Effect hit that would do a little damage and a minor stun, another AE that would be a little damage and a weapon disarm,  and yet another AE that would be damage and an item disarm. A stun resistance buff for Jason or a weapon durability debuff for counselors. Stamina or fear debuffs for counselors. A power increase for throwing knives. Things of that sort. It would take awhile to figure out which Jason had which too.

12 hours ago, JustJohn said:

I'm pretty new but I'd say Jason getting bullied or killed is a fairly rare occurrence - maybe happening 1 in 7 or 8 games on PS4 - and even then, not always successful for the counselors.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, however, I think it would be neat if Jason had some sort of a counter measure to deal with it. Someone said that a buff for Jason when there were 3 or more counselors in close proximity would be good and I would expand on that and say that each individual Jason should have something unique that would unlock for him when 3 or more counselors were on him.

A few ideas could be an Area Effect hit that would do a little damage and a minor stun, another AE that would be a little damage and a weapon disarm,  and yet another AE that would be damage and an item disarm. A stun resistance buff for Jason or a weapon durability debuff for counselors. Stamina or fear debuffs for counselors. A power increase for throwing knives. Things of that sort. It would take awhile to figure out which Jason had which too.

The no new content clause of the game might interfere with these ideas, but who really knows for sure?

On 11/22/2018 at 9:14 PM, Fair Play said:

I agree that stun needs to be addressed. That alone could solve a few problems.

It’s beyond being a joke now, they don’t even have to swing in Jason’s direction and it stuns him,  while at the same time they have to be right under Jason’s nose for him to register a hit, between that and all the rooftop dancers, not being able to get into a game with dedicated servers , bugs etc... I’m  pretty much done with this game,  and I was a backer. I will not play another game made by this publisher if they aren’t attached to someone who is big.