Seriously, this can't be that difficult of a workaround.  Why not release an update that changes out the copyrighted material?  Change the name and create a new killer.  Instead of "part 1, 2, 3 Jasons" make them different killers.   Hell, the community could come up with some great characters for sure.  You'd have to change the map names but the maps themselves wouldn't need to be changed. Rather than Tommy make him something else.  Also, something that could be developed through the community. 

This could literally be changed with a downloaded update. 

I looked at the lawsuit filings and you'd have to do this all at one time. You couldn't update the characters or anything like that slowly,  otherwise, Miller may be able to claim "derivative works".  

You've designed a fun game that I haven't seen beat yet.  Not by DBD, or even the new ones coming out like, "Last Year".  

Have you guys given this direction a thought?  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Holy crap, I can't believe people are still trying to suggest this nonsense. You have zero understanding of how copyright works. Just stop.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

The only things the game really needs are bugfixes and balance tweaks.

Do that and you've got yourself a solid game, even if you can't add new material to it.

1 hour ago, Big Daddy J said:

Holy crap, I can't believe people are still trying to suggest this nonsense. You have zero understanding of how copyright works. Just stop.

Um, being that I dealt with Copyright law for 15 years I'm gonna say you're wrong. I worked with screenwriters for almost 2 decades to acquire their scripts. Dealt with copyright every day for that time.  I know what I'm talking about.  I've also read the filings. There is no reason they can't do what I suggest.  In fact, there are many games that already DO that. The reason I don't jump to those games is because I like some of the features this game has, such as, the period of being isolated and the fear effects etc that these other games do NOT have. 

Copyright Law DOES NOT prevent the game designers from reskinning and renaming the game. You can't copyright a camp. You can't copyright a killer in the woods.  You can copyright Jason (which Miller did NOT create as a killer ) and you can copyright Pamela BUT the other aspects, teens at camp being stalked by a killer, that is NOT protectable.  Change the killer and the name, remove Pamela and it's a whole new game. LEGALLY clear of copyright protection.  

So, before you start saying someone doesn't know how copyright works, you might want to make sure they're not experienced in it. 

10 minutes ago, dniezby said:

Um, being that I dealt with Copyright law for 15 years I'm gonna say you're wrong. I worked with screenwriters for almost 2 decades to acquire their scripts. Dealt with copyright every day for that time.  I know what I'm talking about.  I've also read the filings. There is no reason they can't do what I suggest.  In fact, there are many games that already DO that. The reason I don't jump to those games is because I like some of the features this game has, such as, the period of being isolated and the fear effects etc that these other games do NOT have. 

Copyright Law DOES NOT prevent the game designers from reskinning and renaming the game. You can't copyright a camp. You can't copyright a killer in the woods.  You can copyright Jason (which Miller did NOT create as a killer ) and you can copyright Pamela BUT the other aspects, teens at camp being stalked by a killer, that is NOT protectable.  Change the killer and the name, remove Pamela and it's a whole new game. LEGALLY clear of copyright protection.  

So, before you start saying someone doesn't know how copyright works, you might want to make sure they're not experienced in it. 

Yeah yeah, everyone on the internet is a copyright lawyer. I totally believe you. 🙄

Even if they did "reskin" the game as you said, (which they have explained before they can't, but let's pretend they could for a second) they would have to release it as a completely separate game. You can't just release an update and completely change a game that people paid for. People bought F13 The Game. Not Generic Killers: The Game. Changing it would be stupid anyway. The F13 name is a big selling point. Some people bought it solely because of that. It's not getting rebranded, and it can't be. Move on with your life.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dniezby said:

Seriously, this can't be that difficult of a workaround.  Why not release an update that changes out the copyrighted material?  Change the name and create a new killer.  Instead of "part 1, 2, 3 Jasons" make them different killers.   Hell, the community could come up with some great characters for sure.  You'd have to change the map names but the maps themselves wouldn't need to be changed. Rather than Tommy make him something else.  Also, something that could be developed through the community. 

I looked at the lawsuit filings and you'd have to do this all at one time. You couldn't update the characters or anything like that slowly,  otherwise, Miller may be able to claim "derivative works".  

You've designed a fun game that I haven't seen beat yet.  Not by DBD, or even the new ones coming out like, "Last Year".  

The developers have posted a topic about the future of the game. Give it a read.

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/20227-questions-about-future-content/?do=getNewComment

2 hours ago, Cheex said:

The only things the game really needs are bugfixes and balance tweaks.

Do that and you've got yourself a solid game, even if you can't add new material to it.

At this point, these are the only things we're getting for the future. I'm fine with that.

2 hours ago, Vendredi13 said:

Inb4

Yeah, it's leaning towards being one of "those" threads.

So to work around this you suggest making a new game pretty much. Yeah you cant change a already sold product with an update. Its like if I go to McDonalds and order a big mac. As Im sitting there about to take my first bite one of the workers takes it from me and says its not a big mac anymore. So they hand me a similar but different burger. If I paid for a product and its in my possession, you cant just change it like that. Just because you played court room with stuff animals doesnt count as “experience” because you are completely out of your element here. 

• Like 1

LMAO

Yeah just change the map layouts and cabin styles, just change the character models because Fox well Fox can't stay at all, just change the killers, just change the entire outro because "mother can no longer talk to you,: change a bunch of the kills because stuff like the "jarvis" just won't fly...

In short, just make an entire new game!  And months from now or a year or two, all of us who bought Friday the 13th The Game will own Generic Killer Simulator 2020!  

• Haha 1

On November 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM, dniezby said:

Even if that unquestionably solved the copyright issues (which it likely wouldn't; the game would obviously still be based on the F13 universe) I don't think you appreciate what kind of effort it would take to alter almost every major asset in the game. It's not exactly something you can knock out in a couple of weeks by slapping new labels on things. You're basically reprogramming the entire game. Even some of the tiny details on the maps that are homages to F13 movies would have to be removed or changed. You're talking literally hundreds of things.

At the end, it would not be the same game at all. If you're going to go to all that effort, just start fresh and make Slasher Vol. 2: Summer Camp.

29 minutes ago, pans said:

So how can Killer Puzzle devs still be adding new content?

1f3f7c28a255b4077922020e402411f966958a6b

Because they had the completed content in the game before the cut off.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 11:22 PM, K3ys3r S0z3 said:

Because they had the completed content in the game before the cut off.

Complete content like the Uber Jason?

6 hours ago, pans said:

Complete content like the Uber Jason?

The dev team said that Uber Jason wasn't fully completed. That's why we don't have access to him in the game.

• Thanks 1