The big boss

4k on the console versions

Now I kinda know what you're expecting, something along the lines of me asking "enhanced patches when?".
Not really gonna repeat that this time, instead I wanna shine some light on something I've not seen mentioned anywhere else.
There seems to be (at least on xbox one x) a native 4k rendering resolution with a catch however.
As a bit of a background on how i figured this out, I enjoy physical games and owning it in it's entirety without needing a download and as a ritual of mine to see what I "own" and what I don't I run all games after installing from disc offline, disconnected with no chance for an updating being pushed through (I'm working with the Ultimate Slasher Edition).
I had noticed my resolution being really nice on my 4k monitor, there is no mention of X/Pro support anywhere other than people asking for it so I figured it was some kind of nice up-scaling technique.
then after being satisfied with what I had seen I connected my xbox one x online and updated the game and i noticed an immediate resolution drop, a big downgrade right off the bat even in the menus where you get the jason close up.
I knew something was up, I had completed the virtual cabin previously so I went into it again and did a challenge too... my eyes weren't lying to me...
in order to be sure I uninstalled the game and redid the process of disconnecting and installing the game once again and lo and behold a much higher resolution than 1080p you get with the most up to date version.
I'm not exactly sure what resolution it's rendering at un-updated, some 1440p upscale? 1080p devil magic? native 4k? I'm not digital foundry but my eyes tells me this is 4k.
And if anyone could come up with a way for me to prove this without some dedicated capture equipment that I don't have, I'd love to post the evidence.
On a slightly different note, when I got to the debug section of the vitrual cabin and displayed the FPS it seemed to be fluctuating somewhere in the mid 30's instead of a 30fps lock.
I wish I had a xbox one S or OG xbox one to do more testing to see if that frame rate thing is anything special but I don't.
would also be nice to test the ps4 pro version but i'm not made of money.

------------------------------------------------------------------
TLDR; there is xbox one x support but only on an un-updated offline ultimate slasher edition physical disc

I now have evidence so you don't have to take my word for it.
I figured out how to capture screenshots from the xbox, using xboxdvr I have a pair of screenshots publicly available of the main menu and the virtual cabin
4k preupdate
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/vermilionboss/screenshot/10824282
1080p post update
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/vermilionboss/screenshot/10824245

then a set of the figures in the virtual cabin

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/vermilionboss/screenshot/10824279
1080p
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/vermilionboss/screenshot/10824278

Welcome to the forums buddy, not sure I can help you at all but give it a while for people to notice your thread. Hopefully one of them can let you know what’s up. 

@The big boss Welcome to the forums!

I don't have a 4k monitor, so I am not screwing around with setting like that... But... it sounds like you got all of your settings configured before you updated the game. For some reason, this game has a bad habit of resetting certain settings when it is updated, though this does not happen all the time... or to everyone when they update... that could be your problem... It also can reset your perk builds to no perks on any counselor after an update. Key bindings can also be reset to default after an update.
    The game does still need some optimization... many have complained about their frame rates. The game is still far from perfect, but it runs much better now than it has in the past.

Saves for this game are also online... your save game data is not saved to your x-box. Same for PC and PlayStation. If you play without a connection, I do not think your experience gains will be saved to your profile... and you will start fresh each time you go into a game without an internet connection (or connection to their servers). There have been many people asking for the save files to be switched to our own side so people can play the game normally (with everything they have unlocked with their level gains) when playing offline mode or challenges, but it remains to be seen if we will ever get saves on our own side of things.

I also like to have a physical copy of my games... but with the first patch after the physical copy is produced (and every patch there after), there is suddenly something that will never be on your disc.
   We already had an engine upgrade a few months back... so I doubt we will be getting an 'enhanced patch' anytime soon. Hopefully some optimizations are coming 'soonish'. The engine upgrade also made things a bit 'darker' in an attempt to make things 'scarier'... But I always found darkness does not make anything scary, just harder to see details... Play with your settings again until you get it where you like it better.

I hope this was helpful.  Happy Slashing!

29 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Saves for this game are also online... your save game data is not saved to your x-box. Same for PC and PlayStation. If you play without a connection, I do not think your experience gains will be saved to your profile... and you will start fresh each time you go into a game without an internet connection (or connection to their servers). There have been many people asking for the save files to be switched to our own side so people can play the game normally (with everything they have unlocked with their level gains) when playing offline mode or challenges, but it remains to be seen if we will ever get saves on our own side of things.

They actually lied about this, saves are still very much saved on your pc. Not sure for xbox or ps4 but I assume it’s the same.

The files are stored in a more secure way though. You can easily read what it contains but it is very difficult to modify without the game rejecting it.

Of course level and xp are stored online but theres not much that can be done about that right now without massively compromising security.

2 hours ago, noahvt said:

They actually lied about this, saves are still very much saved on your pc. Not sure for xbox or ps4 but I assume it’s the same.

The files are stored in a more secure way though. You can easily read what it contains but it is very difficult to modify without the game rejecting it.

Of course level and xp are stored online but theres not much that can be done about that right now without massively compromising security.

If level and XP are stored online by your own admission, how exactly did they lie about this? This is exactly the information I was speaking about when I referred to 'saves for this game'.

Also... read the EULA for the game before talking about how difficult it is to modify ANY file in the game. You obviously have not read it yet.

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

@The big boss Welcome to the forums!

I don't have a 4k monitor, so I am not screwing around with setting like that... But... it sounds like you got all of your settings configured before you updated the game. For some reason, this game has a bad habit of resetting certain settings when it is updated, though this does not happen all the time... or to everyone when they update... that could be your problem... It also can reset your perk builds to no perks on any counselor after an update. Key bindings can also be reset to default after an update.
    The game does still need some optimization... many have complained about their frame rates. The game is still far from perfect, but it runs much better now than it has in the past.

I wish there was a setting I could turn on or off, the only thing I can actually change in game is brightness.
So Xbox one X support is either there or it isn't which is why it isn't 4k after updating, it's all controlled by the devs.
This is what i get for sticking with consoles and not PC i suppose lol.
all things considered, I'm going to bet that this enhanced support was there and in code with shipping of this version of the physical copy but maybe they forgot to turn it off before and for some unknown reason they've patched it to be off from that point out.
It might have something to do with performance like you mentioned, though my tests seemed playable i can't say for sure what worked and what didn't.
my real question at the end of the day is if there was an X option, why is it not there anymore? not even a word like "we're working on it"? because there's evidence now to show it exists or existed at one point.

23 minutes ago, Ahab said:

If level and XP are stored online by your own admission, how exactly did they lie about this? This is exactly the information I was speaking about when I referred to 'saves for this game'.

Also... read the EULA for the game before talking about how difficult it is to modify ANY file in the game. You obviously have not read it yet.

I was referring to the fact that they said they made sure the new 'save' files were stored online (everything you customised). They said they did this to prevent altering the files. I thought this was what you meant so sorry for the confusion.

Also, I said it was difficult to modify the files. I didn't say it was impossible, in fact it certainly isn't since I pretty much broke through every layer of security they added without getting detected. This makes some mods possible that would ruin the entire game... I'm actually writing up a detailed explanation to GM right as we speak so it can be fixed ASAP.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, The big boss said:

my real question at the end of the day is if there was an X option, why is it not there anymore? not even a word like "we're working on it"? because there's evidence now to show it exists or existed at one point.

That is a good question. It may also have something to do with trying to save memory to reduce lag issues as well... I do not know. There is probably several reasons for it. Hopefully they get around to making it work eventually.

@noahvt Confusion clarified... Thank you.
   Literally ANYTHING is hackable by someone that knows how to do it. I hope your detailed explanation helps them fix the issues you have found.
   If modding for this game was allowed... it would be interesting to see what the modding community would come up with... I envision someone coming up with a piñata Jason skin... such as was posted by @OCT 31 1978 in another thread.

49 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Hell yeah !! give us a mod mode that could be some entertaining situations/ skins/ and maps.

Even just one counselor on which to place modified skins would be cool. Harley Quin (with he own cosmetically accurate baseball bat) vs Jason... or maybe Duke Nukem… 
    Personally, I would like to see someone make a Frankenstien's Monster skin for Jason... as long as they don't make his skin green like that colorized version. Karloff's make up was green... but it was done so his skin would show up as dead white on the black and white film.
    The possibilities are endless.... but there is probably a lot more to opening up modding than we think. It probably will never happen... but we can still hope that one day, an unexpected visitor will show up in Camp Crystal Lake... at least, cosmetically speaking.

• Like 1

Oh weird my brother has a 4k tv, it makes 1080p look like DVD quality so I believe you in seeing the difference. I also have the ultimate slasher edition but it says on the box it is only 1080p. It is weird that the game would drop in quality because you updated it. If the disc version can run that it is likely going to be added as a feature for the ps4 pro and xbox one x versions. If I can get time alone with my brother's 4K tv and PS4 Pro I can check to see If that "bug" happens as well. It would be nice if the disc versions could run at higher qualities. Minor complaint too is that the disc version of friday and the digital version PS4Share Capture data are in two different categories. 

Edited by ExpertDual
Difference to different autocorrect

49 minutes ago, ExpertDual said:

Oh weird my brother has a 4k tv, it makes 1080p look like DVD quality so I believe you in seeing the difference. I also have the ultimate slasher edition but it says on the box it is only 1080p. It is weird that the game would drop in quality because you updated it. If the disc version can run that it is likely going to be added as a feature for the ps4 pro and xbox one x versions. If I can get time alone with my brother's 4K tv and PS4 Pro I can check to see If that "bug" happens as well. It would be nice if the disc versions could run at higher qualities. Minor complaint too is that the disc version of friday and the digital version PS4Share Capture data are in two different categories. 

I checked out the ps4 disc without the update and it is the default version with no upscale, single player content or even the engine update, you can't do anything on it without an update

I very disappointed hows game looks now. 

Few patches ago on x1x have finally bump rez, i not sure if its 4k, 1800p but diffently not like now...blury, and Christmas tree edges. Sad they remove high rez on x1x. 

I can't remember which patch it was but the graphics imo started to look uglier. I don't recall the hair looking so pixelated and frizzy prior to it.