macky10491

So, How About That New Halloween Movie?

I posted my thoughts on the rate/review the last horror movie you watched/ saw section....

but since I am such a Halloween movie junky, I don’t mind giving my two cents here again:

I give it an 8/10 it was very well done... I especially loved all the references to all the original movies in the series.

the score was amazing and the Shape was definitely back in full form!! A predator/ cunning and brutal....A+ on his portrayal in the film.

On to the critics/ changes I would have perfered....

these are minor changes to the over all film and in my opinion would have made the movie a perfect 10/10...and in my opinion could have made it the Best sequel to the Original film since Halloween 2 (1981).

I feel that the film could have used at the LEAST one more stalk / chase scenes and could have easily gotten rid of a few characters that were completely useless and irritating Karen’s husband Ray and Sheriff Baker had scenes that were a waste of time and amounted to nothing when we should have a few more character building scenes for Karen and Allyson ...

( Karen was under used and what they gave us came off a little whiny instead of protective......she would have benefited more from being a single mom and had more scenes explaining/ exploring her life growing up with Laurie as her Mom and her lost childhood, and why she didn’t want that for Allyson .)

I thought that when Michael appears to Allyson after killing her boyfriends goofy friend in Mr. Elrods backyard on the fence we were in for an epic chase/ stalk scene as The Shape would then chase her through the streets in a throwback to the originals chase from the Wallace house to the Doyle house... especially with that awesome score that starts up as she is running away from him..... yet the film instead has her go to a neighbors house and call the cops and Allyson is then picked up by Deputy Hawkins and Dr. Sartain who then run into Michael ( almost to coincidentally.) with his squad car.....( felt that this created an out of place slow down in the film.) 

I think Michael chasing Allyson through the neighborhood would have been more epic and could have lead up to a better transition into the same scene of Hawkins and Dr. Sartain Hitting Michael with the squad car as they come across him and Allyson ....

on a finale note I really enjoyed the flipping of roles at the end as Laurie stalks after Michael.....overall like I said a great Halloween movie, if they can produce the same quality as this one they can keep them coming every year !!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah that’s what I thought too. I really wish that Allyson got more screen time. It felt kind of underwhelming when Michael just got hit with the squad car...

• Thanks 1

Not perfect, but probably the best sequel since Halloween II.  I really enjoyed it and was pleased to see an old fashioned slasher film on the big screen again done properly. Also loved all the tributes to the original.

I still think they could have kept Part II in the canon, kept the sister thing in, and had older Michael with burn marks to show him surviving the hospital explosion. His new doctor was also a rubbish story element that should have been dropped. Other than that, good stuff.

My full write up is here for anyone interested - http://filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk/blog/the_night_he_came_home_again/2018-10-23-107

2 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Not perfect, but probably the best sequel since Halloween II.  I really enjoyed it and was pleased to see an old fashioned slasher film on the big screen again done properly. Also loved all the tributes to the original.

I still think they could have kept Part II in the canon, kept the sister thing in, and had older Michael with burn marks to show him surviving the hospital explosion. His new doctor was also a rubbish story element that should have been dropped. Other than that, good stuff.

My full write up is here for anyone interested - http://filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk/blog/the_night_he_came_home_again/2018-10-23-107

Yeah I agree with you. It was also really great to hear the Halloween music in a movie theater again...

**spoiler**

I really didn't like the doctor killing the cop, it was unnecessary and I felt a bad move.  I get what they were trying to do with his character arc but it was highly unbelievable and ultimately pointless other than to shift Michael into another location. For or me there should be only one killer and that's Michael. 

I made the decision not to see the new one when i found out that Laurie Strode is no longer related to Michael Myers.For me,that took away something i really liked about Halloween.I liked how the older movies had the subplot that Michael was after everyone in his family(My fave movie in the series is the Producer's Cut of Halloween- Curse of Michael Myers),so to me,Laurie not having that connection to the killer was a crushing disappointment,and i honestly felt it made no sense he would still be after her then many years later.

However,i am glad the movie is out there,i know alot of people enjoyed it,i'm okay with that.It just doesn't interest me.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 1:31 PM, jade said:

I made the decision not to see the new one when i found out that Laurie Strode is no longer related to Michael Myers.For me,that took away something i really liked about Halloween.I liked how the older movies had the subplot that Michael was after everyone in his family(My fave movie in the series is the Producer's Cut of Halloween- Curse of Michael Myers),so to me,Laurie not having that connection to the killer was a crushing disappointment,and i honestly felt it made no sense he would still be after her then many years later.

However,i am glad the movie is out there,i know alot of people enjoyed it,i'm okay with that.It just doesn't interest me.

Great to have another Thorn fan on the forums!!!

I totally understand your feelings on the family angle... it really gave Michael a scary purpose in the original films......and I truly love those films especially 1,2, 6 both cuts ....New Halloween, 4, and 5 in that Order....

( I cannot stand the Zombie movies...or Resurrection..)

I would definitely give the new film a watch .....there are some very cool nods throughout the movie to the entire franchise, they also pull off the whole idea that they are not related in a very interesting way.......it is Laurie who is the one that is quite obsessed about Killing Michael......... His escape is more about reliving that original night again .... Her attempt to hunt him down felt very refreshing.....And when they come face to face he definitely remembers the one that got away....😉

That said there are a few things I wished they did differently but overall it is a very good movie and as a Huge Halloween fan I was really satisfied with it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

The thorn storyline wasnt that good to me whatsoever.

To each their own my friend...

52 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Great to have another Thorn fan on the forums!!!

I totally understand your feelings on the family angle... it really gave Michael a scary purpose in the original films......and I truly love those films especially 1,2, 6 both cuts ....New Halloween, 4, and 5 in that Order....

( I cannot stand the Zombie movies...or Resurrection..)

I would definitely give the new film a watch there are some very cool nods throughout the movie to the entire franchise, they also pull off the whole idea that they are not related in a very interesting way.......it is Laurie who is the one that is quite obsessed about Killing Michael......... His escape is more about reliving that original night again .... Her attempt to hunt him down felt very refreshing.....And when they come face to face he definitely remembers the one that got away....😉

That said there are a few things I wished they did differently but overall it is a very good movie and as a Huge Halloween fan was really satisfied with it.

I liked the Thorn storyline because it made the series seem unique to me.There's only certain series that i'm a fan of,so i'll admit i'm unaware if some other horror franchise exists where the main villain is offing their family as the main plot.I think they did it in an interesting way,and i liked how Tommy Doyle was able to use the runestones to stop Michael for what was at least a limited amount of time.However i'm also aware that there's some movies i'm not really into that others like,and there's all kinds of movies i like that others hate,and i'm okay with that.

8 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

To each their own my friend...

I mean they humanized a "evil" being which made me like "what is this...." type ofdeal.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:50 PM, jade said:

I liked the Thorn storyline because it made the series seem unique to me.

Definitely!!

Dr. Loomis Talks about the Druids and sacrifices and Samhain In the original Halloween II..... And Halloween 6 expands that idea In very interesting ways the whole worshippers of Thorn gave us a cool supernatural explanation to Why Michael does what he does and is able to keep coming back.... not to mention the atmosphere and look of Michael and the main characters in the film are Incredible....

There's only certain series that i'm a fan of 

What other films are you a fan of?

i liked how Tommy Doyle was able to use the runestones to stop Michael for what was at least a limited amount of time.

It was definitely not something you saw coming..... right !! I mean this is a supernatural character that can’t be stoped with bullets knives etc... it makes complete sense to me...... that only another supernatural object or objects would be the way to stop him.....

However i'm also aware that there's some movies i'm not really into that others like,and there's all kinds of movies i like that others hate,and i'm okay with that.

I would love to hear that list.... I like tons of different movies not just one Genre!

@Jason Todd Voorhees

I can see how that could be off putting, these ideas/ themes don’t always  appeal to everyone.

I don’t consider Michael being inflicted with the Curse of Thorn as a humanizing thing. .....I look at it this way he was born with it inside him and it always speaks to him just like Danny through out the film......and Wynn the high Priest of the cult and keeper of Thorn has to Release it ......once that happens he becomes a Shell or “ Shape” of a Human that is filled with the need to kill his bloodline...... it kind of to me makes him a supernatural Non -Human..that’s  how I see it.

um,as far as horror movies,i like Friday the 13th,Nightmare on Elm Street,Halloween,Child's Play,Hellraiser,all 6 of George Romero's zombie movies,Resident Evil (Both the live action and CG movies),Alien,Predator,Phantasm(But i only have the 1st one so far,saw Phantasm 2 on tv long time ago but have not seem the others),Scream,The version of Phantom of the Opera that Robert Englund was in...as far as tv series,i got all 3 season of Friday the 13th,season 1 of Scream,i got all 3 seasons of Hannibal,and i recently got a European dvd that has the first 3 episodes of Freddy's Nightmares.Mainly got it for the pilot episode,which was not on a bluray set of the Nightmare movies i got,but the bluray set has episodes 2 and 3 for some reason.Had to adjust a setting on my PS4 so i could watch the Euro dvd,but i'm okay with that.Thought Robert was awesome in the pilot as the human version of Freddy before he got torched.

Um,don't know if they are considered horror outright,but i got Jurassic Park 1-3,and Jaws 1-4,like those too.

@jade

sound like you have a lot of the same tastes we all do !!! Dark lol

your list of favorites are very similar to mine.......I like all the films you listed...I have never see the phantasm movies however.....I know who the Tallman is but that’s it..

I haven’t see the Phantom of the Opera with Robert in a long time I do remember scenes from it.....Robert really good in it.

I love the 3 seasons of Hannibal it’s one of my absolutely favorite shows....( Bryan Fullers says talks are still going around about a season 4) 

Other Films I like are:

The Godfather films 

most Zombie Films/ shows..

Children of the corn

M. Night Shyamalan films....

The Crow

Super hero films ( mainly the Nolan  Batman films.)

Darkman

Bladerunner

The Fly I and II

Riddick movies...

This list could go on and on....loL

4 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

I can see how that could be off putting, these ideas/ themes don’t always  appeal to everyone.

I don’t consider Michael being inflicted with the Curse of Thorn as a humanizing thing. .....I look at it this way he was born with it inside him and it always speaks to him just like Danny through out the film......and Wynn the high Priest of the cult and keeper of Thorn has to Release it ......once that happens he becomes a Shell of a Human that is filled with the need to kill his bloodline...... it kind of to me makes him a supernatural Non -Human..that’s  how I see it.

The crying scene.....was the most humanizing part that threw me off.

34 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

The crying scene.....was the most humanizing part that threw me off.

That was Halloween 5 not Halloween 6..... I am still a fan of Halloween 5 but it definitely had some questionable writing.

The weird guy who nurses Michael back to health for a year ...the stupid cops / killing Rachel in the beginning of the movie..... the crying.

The things I liked were the Barn kills the car chase and the ending at the Myers house.... especially the lead up to the Laundry Shoot scene.

5 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

That was Halloween 5 not Halloween 6..... I am still a fan of Halloween 5 but it definitely had some questionable writing.

Its still part of the thorn series of 4-6 and if I remember there was scenes he should have killed jamie but he didnt which contradicts the purpose of hunting her down.

Like he had a car in a near open field and he couldnt kill two kids?? In a speeding car? 

31 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

Its still part of the thorn series of 4-6 and if I remember there was scenes he should have killed jamie but he didnt which contradicts the purpose of hunting her down.

Like he had a car in a near open field and he couldnt kill two kids?? In a speeding car? 

I know people call 4-6 the Thorn trilogy but really Thorn is only Truly acknowledged in Halloween 6 as a way to explain a lot of the stuff that happened in Halloween 5

( in my opinion it fixed a lot of the crap that was introduced in 5 by adding some cool ideas.)

Halloween 5 showed the Symbol /Tattoo of Thorn but the writers/ directors had no idea what they were going to do with it......including the Man in black....or what the rage in Michael was that he couldn’t control......... 

As for the not being able to kill the 2 kids with the car......I did say it had Questionable writing lol......in its defense it wasn’t a completely empty field there were bushes and trees all over the place...And Michael only had the one scene were he should have killed Jamie and paused and it was during his tearful 😢 moment.....

lol sometimes I wonder if it’s a tear of joy thinking He is about to kill his last family member..

Halloween 4 only ties in with all this because Jaimie was introduced in this one....( as far as I am concerned Halloween 4 is one of the best sequels of the franchise going back to its Roots, and definitely was not planned to be the first entry of a Trilogy about cults and Runes.)

3 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

I know people call 4-6 the Thorn trilogy but really Thorn is only Truly acknowledged in Halloween 6 as a way to explain a lot of the stuff that happened in Halloween 5

( in my opinion it fixed a lot of the crap that was introduced in 5 by adding some cool ideas.)

Halloween 5 showed the Symbol /Tattoo of Thorn but the writers/ directors had no idea what they were going to do with it......including the Man in black....or what the rage in Michael was that he couldn’t control......... 

As for the not being able to kill the 2 kids with the car......I did say it had Questionable writing lol......in its defense it wasn’t a completely empty field there were bushes and trees all over the place...And Michael only had the one scene were he should have killed Jamie and it was during his tearful 😢 moment.....

lol sometimes I wonder if it’s a tear of joy thinking He is about to kill his last family member..

Halloween 4 only ties in with all this because Jaimie’s was introduced in this one....( as far as I am concerned Halloween 4 is one off the best sequels of the franchise going back to its Roots, and definitely was not planned to be the first entry of a Trilogy.)

Im just not a fan of that writing even tho you are correct it still falls in its own timeline which to me made no sense...He cant be killed until his family is deas but we see him get resurrected in a hermits farmhouse.

Like....questionable might not be the word because now that Im reflashing all the series the worse timeline is H20 to Resurrection....like it made me....ME....cringe in its existence.

P.S I like the new reboot timeline its far more better than the previous even replacing H2.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

Im just not a fan of that writing even tho you are correct it still falls in its own timeline which to me made no sense...He cant be killed until his family is deas but we see him get resurrected in a hermits farmhouse

No worries buddy.... I am not the type of person who would push my likes on others if that storyline doesn’t work for you and you like another timeline more there is nothing wrong with that.... we are still fans of Michael Myers one way or the other.

I am a fan of 4-6....and the story It attempts to flesh out and the few elements I don’t like don’t ruin the things I do like....lol

Like....questionable might not be the word because now that Im reflashing all the series the worse timeline is H20 to Resurrection....like it made me....ME....cringe in its existence.

We are 100% on the same page about that timeline I absolutely cannot stand resurrection it is true garbage with zero redeeming qualities......Absolutely zero..

P.S I like the new reboot timeline its far more better than the previous even replacing H2.

The new Film was very good!! 

And is definitely one of the best sequels in the franchise....I still Like the original Halloween II from 1981 more but I definitely hold that movie in very high regard as I saw it before the Original Halloween.

My list favorite to least favorite....

Halloween

Halloween II

Halloween 4

Halloween 6 (both cuts)

Halloween 2018 

Halloween 5

H20

Zombie Halloween 

Zombie Halloween 2

H- Resurrection

Edited by OCT 31 1978
I just had a Halloween marathon and decided to switch up the order of my favorites.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

No worries buddy.... I am not the type of person who would push my likes on others if that storyline doesn’t work for you and you like another timeline more there is nothing wrong with that.... we are still fans of Michael Myers one way or the other.

I am a fan of 4-6....and the story It attempts to flesh out and the few elements I don’t like don’t ruin the things I do like....lol

We are 100% on the same page about that timeline I absolutely cannot stand resurrection it is true garbage with zero redeeming qualities......Absolutely zero..

The new Film was very good!! 

And is definitely one of the best sequels in the franchise....I still Like the original Halloween II from 1981 more but I definitely hold that movie in very high regard as I say it before the Original Halloween.

My list favorite to least favorite....

Halloween

Halloween II

Halloween 6 (both cuts)

Halloween 2018 

Halloween 4

Halloween 5

H20

Zombie Halloween 

Zombie Halloween 2

H- Resurrection

My list is far different lol.....

Halloween (Original)

Halloween 2018

Halloween 2 

Rob Zombie Halloween

Rob Zombie Halloween 2

Halloween 5

Halloween 4

Halloween 6

Halloween H20/Resurrection

• Like 1

Loved it to bits. Not a dull moment, awesome soundtrack.

My list goes as follows:

Halloween (78)

Halloween 2

Halloween 2018

Halloween H20

Halloween 3

Halloween 4

Halloween 5

Halloween 6

RZ Halloween 2

RZ Halloween

Ressurection

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 3:56 AM, Survival said:

Loved it to bits. Not a dull moment, awesome soundtrack.

My list goes as follows:

Halloween (78)

Halloween 2

Halloween 2018

Halloween H20

Halloween 3

Halloween 4

Halloween 5

Halloween 6

RZ Halloween 2

RZ Halloween

Ressurection

The score for Halloween 2018 was definitely amazing!!