macky10491

So, How About That New Halloween Movie?

I posted my thoughts on the rate/review the last horror movie you watched/ saw section....

but since I am such a Halloween movie junky, I don’t mind giving my two cents here again:

I give it an 8/10 it was very well done... I especially loved all the references to all the original movies in the series.

the score was amazing and the Shape was definitely back in full form!! A predator/ cunning and brutal....A+ on his portrayal in the film.

On to the critics/ changes I would have perfered....

these are minor changes to the over all film and in my opinion would have made the movie a perfect 10/10...and in my opinion could have made it the Best sequel to the Original film since Halloween 2 (1981).

I feel that the film could have used at the LEAST one more stalk / chase scenes and could have easily gotten rid of a few characters that were completely useless and irritating Karen’s husband Ray and Sheriff Baker had scenes that were a waste of time and amounted to nothing when we should have a few more character building scenes for Karen and Allyson ...

( Karen was under used and what they gave us came off a little whiny instead of protective......she would have benefited more from being a single mom and had more scenes explaining/ exploring her life growing up with Laurie as her Mom and her lost childhood, and why she didn’t want that for Allyson .)

I thought that when Michael appears to Allyson after killing her boyfriends goofy friend in Mr. Elrods backyard on the fence we were in for an epic chase/ stalk scene as The Shape would then chase her through the streets in a throwback to the originals chase from the Wallace house to the Doyle house... especially with that awesome score that starts up as she is running away from him..... yet the film instead has her go to a neighbors house and call the cops and Allyson is then picked up by Deputy Hawkins and Dr. Sartain who then run into Michael ( almost to coincidentally.) with his squad car.....( felt that this created an out of place slow down in the film.) 

I think Michael chasing Allyson through the neighborhood would have been more epic and could have lead up to a better transition into the same scene of Hawkins and Dr. Sartain Hitting Michael with the squad car as they come across him and Allyson ....

on a finale note I really enjoyed the flipping of roles at the end as Laurie stalks after Michael.....overall like I said a great Halloween movie, if they can produce the same quality as this one they can keep them coming every year !!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah that’s what I thought too. I really wish that Allyson got more screen time. It felt kind of underwhelming when Michael just got hit with the squad car...

• Thanks 1

Not perfect, but probably the best sequel since Halloween II.  I really enjoyed it and was pleased to see an old fashioned slasher film on the big screen again done properly. Also loved all the tributes to the original.

I still think they could have kept Part II in the canon, kept the sister thing in, and had older Michael with burn marks to show him surviving the hospital explosion. His new doctor was also a rubbish story element that should have been dropped. Other than that, good stuff.

My full write up is here for anyone interested - http://filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk/blog/the_night_he_came_home_again/2018-10-23-107

2 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Not perfect, but probably the best sequel since Halloween II.  I really enjoyed it and was pleased to see an old fashioned slasher film on the big screen again done properly. Also loved all the tributes to the original.

I still think they could have kept Part II in the canon, kept the sister thing in, and had older Michael with burn marks to show him surviving the hospital explosion. His new doctor was also a rubbish story element that should have been dropped. Other than that, good stuff.

My full write up is here for anyone interested - http://filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk/blog/the_night_he_came_home_again/2018-10-23-107

Yeah I agree with you. It was also really great to hear the Halloween music in a movie theater again...

**spoiler**

I really didn't like the doctor killing the cop, it was unnecessary and I felt a bad move.  I get what they were trying to do with his character arc but it was highly unbelievable and ultimately pointless other than to shift Michael into another location. For or me there should be only one killer and that's Michael.