tyrant666

How Much Different Would Perk Loadouts Be If 'Start With A Pocketknife' Were A Perk?

I've often wondered this.

With only a half dozen or so perks being useful, with less than that being VERY useful, some being OP. I kinda wonder much things would've changed for counselor if this perk were available? Now I know what people are gonna say. Bad idea, too OP, etc. Course it won't happen now anyway with the legal nonsense.

My though process is if you were to give out this kind of perk, the negative of it would be a flat value and VERY stiff.

+ Start With A Pocketknife

- ALL Heals Reduced to 25 Percent Per Heal

So any spray would NEVER heal you fully and every full heal for said counselor would be about 4 sprays if critical, so if a counselor ran medic, thick skin and the pocketknife perk, they would be burning sprays that don't offer full heals. Also for overall balance of likely most of the newer players using this perk if they had it. We change 4 pocket knife spawns to random firecracker spawns and keep the remaining spawns.

I could see many seasoned players not bothering with the perk with such a stiff penalty. Especially when they are sacrificing easy spray heals for a defensive item, despite its high value. I could see Jason kill squads and trololol players using them just to prolong the match especially if they are more solo dolo types, but I could see it being a healthy mix of people using it, but others NOT using it because of other valuable perks and the pocketknife being a one time use.

Mind you, im not saying this should've ever happened, I just kinda wonder how much loadouts would've changed with it and the stiff penalty that comes with it?

Epic Hypochondriac would counter the 25 percent drop. Either way, I wouldn't use this perk. I find at least one knife 19/20 games I play, and even if I don't, I usually do not end up needing it anyways.

@tyrant666 Although we have seen this suggested many times before to a resounding chorus of NO... you are the first I have seen suggest this with any consideration to balance. I have to applaud you for that alone. With the bonuses on hypochondriac and medic, your suggested penalty would be drastically reduced though.
    Med sprays do not necessarily heal you to max anyway, unless you have taken less damage than the amount a spray heals. Players that use a med spray after one knife or one slash or one window are wasting some of the sprays potential as it cannot put you over max health. But if you use it when in a wounded state, it takes you out of the wounded state... but you can be put back into a wounded state with less damage than it took from full health in the first place... So they do not heal to max with each use as it is, and if they did... the bonus to healing from medic and hypochondriac would be worthless bonuses.

Perhaps an even stiffer penalty than what you suggest would be needed... such as a set reduction as you stated (all heals reduces to 25% of normal which is what I get from your post, I think @Nougat took it to mean 25% off the top of a spray's effectiveness), but also a nullification of any bonus from other perks. This is not to say it should cancel out the spray given by hypochondriac, or the doubling effect of the medic perk... it should just nullify the bonus to the amount healed when using a spray that these perks give.

Even with these penalties... it still harkens to those dark days of seven pocket knives per match... but with less healing potential. This would make it far riskier to use it to troll Jason in any way... but I would still think the pocket knives from a regular match should still be there to find for people like me that would never use this perk.

As long as a pocket knife use leaves Jason open to a free hit towards demasking when he comes out of the animation... I would still have to say no. If this indefensible hit were ever removed... I would not be against this... as long as the penalty was high enough.

I hate pocket knives and hate that there are so many in the game. There should be one per match and that’s it. It should be so rare that you gasp when you find one. Not this “I havent’t found my pocketknife yet” I’ve heard players say. I’m pleased when I find one for the simple fact that it means someone else doesn’t have one. I’ll likely not need it while players that find them more often than not die anyway. All they do is irritate the Jason player and give mediocre players a second chance to delay dying anyway, dragging the game out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

I hate pocket knives and hate that there are so many in the game. There should be one per match and that’s it. It should be so rare that you gasp when you find one. Not this “I havent’t found my pocketknife yet” I’ve heard players say. I’m pleased when I find one for the simple fact that it means someone else doesn’t have one. I’ll likely not need it while players that find them more often than not die anyway. All they do is irritate the Jason player and give mediocre players a second chance to delay dying anyway, dragging the game out. 

Three (Four if Tommy spawns) is not really a lot, especially compared to Higgens Haven Big in the December patch (Eleven pocket knives), but I agree with your point as a whole.

• Like 1

Other suggestion for a penalty would be reducing medic to only two uses for only one spray in the slot, but that's just something that should be done anyway independent of any new perk.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nougat said:

Three (Four if Tommy spawns) is not really a lot, especially compared to Higgens Haven Big in the December patch (Eleven pocket knives), but I agree with your point as a whole.

Yeah, but we all know that the dispersion of PKs is always in one or two quadrants of the map, often in side-by-side cabins or within the same large cabin. One person usually finds multiple PKs and still dies while others find nothing. That’s the real issue

3 hours ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

Yeah, but we all know that the dispersion of PKs is always in one or two quadrants of the map, often in side-by-side cabins or within the same large cabin. One person usually finds multiple PKs and still dies while others find nothing. That’s the real issue

I found all 3 in Turtlepond Camp on Pinehurst in the first minute if a match (campfire and two in thebtwo small cabins), so you won't see me disagreeing with that. They need to be better spread out. That and campfires spawns just need to go. It distracts people's attention from everything, just so they can speedloot and provide nothing helpful to the match. 

It would be better if everything spawned in drawers. Predetermined spawn locations makes the game easier than it needs to be, while also encouraging speedlooting.

• Like 1

This isn't Dead by Daylight. We all saw what the game was like with an instant Tommy Jarvis loadout. It was horrible. I personally like the fact that the world of Friday The 13th The Game is an extra dangerous one. Full of traps, betrayal and of course Jason Voorhees. 

6 hours ago, Nougat said:

. That and campfires spawns just need to go. It distracts people's attention from everything, just so they can speedloot and provide nothing helpful to the match.

I like that it's spread out to campfires to lure counselors away from objectives parts, much like the new spawn for meds, away from the convenient bathroom locations from the past builds.  If a player wants to prioritize the opening minutes gathering survival items over fixing objectives before Jason secures them, let them.

• Like 1

I'd rather just have one more pocket knife spawn on the map then as a perk. Playing against bots has now become a tedious chore since they all have pocket knives, and will also immediately throw down a firecracker after an escape from your grab. 

Smart talented players who don't "need" a pocket knife to survive will probably use it simply to disarm Jason's traps, making defending objectives near impossible.

Something would arguably have to give.

Allow Jason to reset his traps one time each or more than once and allow him to place them in new areas, inside, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Something would arguably have to give.

Allow Jason to reset his traps one time each or more than once and allow him to place them in new areas, inside, etc.

That's mainly why I'm concerned ot would be OP. I'd run this perk every time as Vanessa. I'd just run around popping all the traps with knives and my body if need be.

On 10/27/2018 at 1:14 AM, Alien_Number_Six said:

This isn't Dead by Daylight. We all saw what the game was like with an instant Tommy Jarvis loadout. It was horrible. I personally like the fact that the world of Friday The 13th The Game is an extra dangerous one. Full of traps, betrayal and of course Jason Voorhees.

The World of Friday the 13th: The Game sounds like an upcoming series that should on Amazon or Netflix.

13 hours ago, Pazuzu said:

I'd rather just have one more pocket knife spawn on the map then as a perk. Playing against bots has now become a tedious chore since they all have pocket knives, and will also immediately throw down a firecracker after an escape from your grab. 

Smart talented players who don't "need" a pocket knife to survive will probably use it simply to disarm Jason's traps, making defending objectives near impossible.

I never thought all 7 started with knives in Offline Bots. Most of the time 6 of them have knives. I feel sorry for the one who doesn't.

6 hours ago, Fair Play said:

I never thought all 7 started with knives in Offline Bots. Most of the time 6 of them have knives. I feel sorry for the one who doesn't.

You're right now that I think about it. But Shelly or Deb usually make up for it by finding a second one! 

Once in awhile the bots will actually use their knives to disarm my traps. Which is surprising considering how dumb they are in most other situations.

I’d rather see the mechanic used to make other perks more tempting than just a PK perk. Already posted in the discussion how and which perks, good thread though, nice to see real conversation.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 6:53 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Reduce all weapon spawns by half if that were a perk.

Haven't they already done so? ? I stopped playing for a few months and since coming back there are significantly less weapons.

A pk knife perk would drive Jason players insane.

Imo, They should remove all perks that allow you start with anything.

Giving a pocket knife perk would be giving license for counselors to troll Jason even harder than they already do. 

11 hours ago, SirMang said:

Giving a pocket knife perk would be giving license for counselors to troll Jason even harder than they already do. 

Very true... but if the penatlies were harsh enough on the med sprays... or on the medic perk, or both... this would be very unhealthy for them. Jason players would revert to slashing everyone in a match with this perk in the game... we would almost never see a kill animation again and the only time grab would be useful is when pulling someone out of a car.

Until Jason is given a better chance to defend himself against groups, the piñata thingy will be a problem either way. The even bigger problem with this would be the only viable trapping Jason left would be Part 2... and all of his traps would still get sprung without his knowledge in a great many games. Too many pocket knives isn't just bad for trolling Jason... each one leaves him open to an attack towards demasking that he has no chance to defend against (this also needs to go)... and when the pocket knives outnumber Jason's traps... objectives get finished very quickly if the players choose not to use them for trolling purposes. Jasons with the -Traps weakness would be useless for control of objectives... and all the others would be pretty close to useless in the same way.