Matches

Should councelors be able to see eachother on the map?

Yes. They should.  Every other FPS/3rd person shooter allows it.  Plus it's one of the few advantages we have over Jason.  

However I know I'm in the minority regarding this.  

Only Councilors in line-of-sight or VOIP range should show up on the map.  Otherwise, other players' locations should be as big a mystery as where Jason's at.  It should cut down on the hero factor when a councilor isn't sure if help is within spitting distance.

I dont think they should. We have discussed the prominence of the mininap. Some are for it, others are against it...BUT a valid argument is presented that the counselors could have prior knowledge of the map beforehand...yada yada..i get that. BUT..there is no way on earth that you could look at a map and just "see" where your friends are. Unless they had GPS trackers on or something. In the 80s they wouldnt have that. So I dont think they should be able to know where each other are just by glancing at the map.

• Like 3

how about you crouch and cant be seen? idk why people are against it, it helps you communicate better with someone you need to talk to who might be near something and you can warn people about jason being on his way

• Like 1

how about you crouch and cant be seen? idk why people are against it, it helps you communicate better with someone you need to talk to who might be near something and you can warn people about jason being on his way

Taking gameplay on its own aside for a moment, a doomed factor for this is the fact that people who play together will gather up in parties anyways. So proxy chat suddenly goes out the window in MANY cases.

Nobody can deny this is what's going to happen. HOWEVER.

While the game will be a bit more difficult for counselors, having them in your LOS should let you mark them on your map FOR A SET TIME.

Maybe a minute, maybe 30 seconds who knows.

It's a middleway.

The reason i'm quoting you spesifically is that i agree iwth the crouching part. Unless looked at from within a certain distance.

I've probably said it a dozen times in the last few weeks, but it's not about realism, it's about balance. The guys at Gun have done hours and hours of playtesting, and they obviously must think that being able to see fellow players on the map provides a fair balance to the counselors against Jason. After all, Jason has been shown to have a heat radar-like ability to see people even through walls. If he has x-ray vision and teleportation, do we really think that "realism" is a valid argument against knowing where your teammates are?

• Like 3

I've probably said it a dozen times in the last few weeks, but it's not about realism, it's about balance. The guys at Gun have done hours and hours of playtesting, and they obviously must think that being able to see fellow players on the map provides a fair balance to the counselors against Jason. After all, Jason has been shown to have a heat radar-like ability to see people even through walls. If he has x-ray vision and teleportation, do we really think that "realism" is a valid argument against knowing where your teammates are?

AGREE STRONGLY with you Ralph!

I'm beginning to question if some of these forum members have ever played a multiplayer game in real life.   Honestly do they even stop to think that this game is being made to appeal to a mass audience and users?   Let's just humour for a moment that GUN follows through with all your guys whinning and they take out the icons, player names, and everything else.   You've just doomed the game to failure.   How many users are going to keep playing this game if they can't find anything?    Some of you need to be reminded that the video gaming world doesn't revolve around you.

I'm beginning to question if some of these forum members have ever played a multiplayer game in real life.   Honestly do they even stop to think that this game is being made to appeal to a mass audience and users?   Let's just humour for a moment that GUN follows through with all your guys whinning and they take out the icons, player names, and everything else.   You've just doomed the game to failure.   How many users are going to keep playing this game if they can't find anything?    Some of you need to be reminded that the video gaming world doesn't revolve around you.

But what if they made like a hardcore mode where they remove those things. With 2 modes don't they appeal an even bigger audience?

Pfft. People are only voicing their opinions and only a very small minority have actually been rude about it. That small minority exist in every facet of life. Dont be so sensitive and lecherous.

I would prefer to not know where my fellow counselors are...will strengthen the team bond aspect when you stumble across another counselor...rather than to know exactly where they all are on the map.

• Like 2

Pfft. People are only voicing their opinions and only a very small minority have actually been rude about it. That small minority exist in every facet of life. Dont be so sensitive and lecherous.

I would prefer to not know where my fellow counselors are...will strengthen the team bond aspect when you stumble across another counselor...rather than to know exactly where they all are on the map.

Agreed!

See: dead by daylight

Devs buckled to survivor demands.

Game's all fucked.

That being said you're working under the assertion that playtesting is a flawless tactic for finding good ways to balance gameplay and realism or whatever. That's not the case, and i know you know that.

Also, i'd add that these discussions are happening in the prime time for potential changes, and while not everything is realistic, things like the addition of a hardcore mode with set limitations isn't necessarily something that the devs have considered as of yet, or just want to see a demand for.

Actually if you notice...and I wont agree to either side because everyone is entitled to their own opinions...but its the same opposing bickering between the same people. There are like 2 schools of thought on the forum. The same people always seem to butt heads with each other, as well as some of the same agree with one another.

• Like 1

Yes.

It isn't just counselors against Jason. Its about you versus human nature, with him as the wild card. They have told us that they try to remove griefing as much as possible, and while Jason is purposefully overpowered, other counselors can be worse. If he is after you, just run past someone trying to hide behind a cabin. If counselors are not shown, then that can't happen. But its not about that, even then. Without anyone's location on the map, you get a real (albeit fake) sense of loneliness. When you find someone else, that turns into relief, or anxiety. Fear is a value that's in the game, and your character's Fear should be equal to your fear. You want to be able to stumble upon a body, not see someone's blip disappear and expect their body to be there. So, yes, "realism" is a valid argument against knowing where your "teammates" are.

This all will be for the devs to figure out from the Betas, when they will have hundreds and hundreds of hours of testing within the first hour of the FnF Beta.

• Like 2

Yes.

It isn't just counselors against Jason. Its about you versus human nature, with him as the wild card. They have told us that they try to remove griefing as much as possible, and while Jason is purposefully overpowered, other counselors can be worse. If he is after you, just run past someone trying to hide behind a cabin. If counselors are not shown, then that can't happen. But its not about that, even then. Without anyone's location on the map, you get a real (albeit fake) sense of loneliness. When you find someone else, that turns into relief, or anxiety. Fear is a value that's in the game, and your character's Fear should be equal to your fear. You want to be able to stumble upon a body, not see someone's blip disappear and expect their body to be there. So, yes, "realism" is a valid argument against knowing where your "teammates" are.

This all will be for the devs to figure out from the Betas, when they will have hundreds and hundreds of hours of testing within the first hour of the FnF Beta.

Well said.

Odd how the quick answer is "its not about realism", yet the devs themselves have stated over and over through development that thats the EXACT thing that they have been striving for.

I think it should be up to the server host. Like I think there should be adjustable server settings depending on who is hosting and they can change options like that. I made a thread about this idea if anyone wants to check it out but it basically talks about server host being able to toggle features of the game on or off to change up the rounds.

Like having players not appear on the map, not showing where the cars are, maybe even not having a map in general. Stuff like that would be awesome because each server host could do it different! If you like having players on the map go pick one of those servers or host your own. If you don't want them on the map look for one that has it disabled. ^^

I agree it should be a setting option for the host of the match to set so everyone can be happy. But personally I don't think you should be able to see everyone on the map as it takes away from the fear aspect. Resident Evil Outbreak didn't have any voice chat and you couldn't see where everyone was on the map. People could stick together or run ahead. It was incredibly fun to go through the levels and come across the other players are various times and other times be on your own and desperate for help and hoping to run into someone, or finding someone else desperate for help and risking your neck to go back and help them.

If you know where everyone is at all times, it just kinda kills that in my opinion. I'd much rather start on my own and if i come across someone, I will feel more prone to stick with them because I WON'T know where everyone else is and thus can't plan and coordinate super strategies. It's MORE strategic when you have to fly off the cuff and work with what and who you have rather than just plan from the getgo.

But I wouldn't be against having a toggle option for people to allow it in their match if they're hosting to make those who prefer it happy. I want the game to sell well and I know the general public is a lot of entitled types who like their hands held and don't really like having to work to win, so. (That's not meant to insult anyone, it's just unfortunately the honest truth)

See: dead by daylight

Devs buckled to survivor demands.

Game's all fucked.

That being said you're working under the assertion that playtesting is a flawless tactic for finding good ways to balance gameplay and realism or whatever. That's not the case, and i know you know that.

Also, i'd add that these discussions are happening in the prime time for potential changes, and while not everything is realistic, things like the addition of a hardcore mode with set limitations isn't necessarily something that the devs have considered as of yet, or just want to see a demand for.

What happened to DbD? Never played it so I would to know where it was and where it ended up.

I might have said this already so I apologize if I'm repeating myself but I think only counselors in a certain radius should be seen on your map. That or if you have a walkie, you can see the other counselors with walkie across the whole map but that's it.

What happened to DbD? Never played it so I would to know where it was and where it ended up.

Survivors cried about the game being too hard to survive.

So basically they're given all kinds of bullshit perks.

Self heal (without medkit), the ability to sabotage without a toolbox, a sprint burst  and other stuff like that. The result ended in killers not being a primary threat anymore, but more temporary obstacles.

Not to mention the levels STILL have window abuse, which allows a survivor to run in a set path and never be caught, because a window takes longer for a killer to go across. Going back the other way just leaves the survivor there by the window anyways so you literally cannot catch him.

Also they apparently also has a perk to see traps, so the trapper is fucking useless. Watch streams, most of the time you'll see killers get one or two kills tops.

The other times, the killer might down 3 people or something, but due to one person staying alive, they can get eachother up in no time and fully heal eachother with no items needed. It just TAKES longer. Which is bullshit on its own.

Meanwhile the killers still need 2 hits to take someone down, the perk they got that allowed them to take someone down in 1 hit was already situational, but it's now nerfed so it has a big-ass cooldown. So as an endgame perk that goes right out the window.

Not to mention the balancing aside from that is fucked. Fixing a generator with a killer nearby? Good, now you get more stress tests (a button you have to press) and since there's an established playerbase, a regular survivor WANTS that to happen because they can get a bonus to repair speed.

It's skewed to shit.

Also the only thing i'd want fixed for sure so far is the permament knowledge of where other counselors are on the map. At most i'd want you to be able to tag them of sorts by seeing them and then have them on the minimap for a limited time. So if you WANT someone around you have to make sure you can stick around once the tag goes out to refresh it. Forces them to stay more close rather than have someone just fuck off and still be fully visible.

• Like 1

Survivors cried about the game being too hard to survive.

So basically they're given all kinds of bullshit perks.

Self heal (without medkit), the ability to sabotage without a toolbox, a sprint burst  and other stuff like that. The result ended in killers not being a primary threat anymore, but more temporary obstacles.

Not to mention the levels STILL have window abuse, which allows a survivor to run in a set path and never be caught, because a window takes longer for a killer to go across. Going back the other way just leaves the survivor there by the window anyways so you literally cannot catch him.

Also they apparently also has a perk to see traps, so the trapper is fucking useless. Watch streams, most of the time you'll see killers get one or two kills tops.

The other times, the killer might down 3 people or something, but due to one person staying alive, they can get eachother up in no time and fully heal eachother with no items needed. It just TAKES longer. Which is bullshit on its own.

Meanwhile the killers still need 2 hits to take someone down, the perk they got that allowed them to take someone down in 1 hit was already situational, but it's now nerfed so it has a big-ass cooldown. So as an endgame perk that goes right out the window.

Not to mention the balancing aside from that is fucked. Fixing a generator with a killer nearby? Good, now you get more stress tests (a button you have to press) and since there's an established playerbase, a regular survivor WANTS that to happen because they can get a bonus to repair speed.

It's skewed to shit.

Also the only thing i'd want fixed for sure so far is the permament knowledge of where other counselors are on the map. At most i'd want you to be able to tag them of sorts by seeing them and then have them on the minimap for a limited time. So if you WANT someone around you have to make sure you can stick around once the tag goes out to refresh it. Forces them to stay more close rather than have someone just fuck off and still be fully visible.

All I have to say to that is one word. Ew.

Now I had a thought though what if sound blips from survivors including Jason (not sure which ones but hear me out just to give an idea) that Jason could use to lure in survivors or make them always hesitant to go towards them?

I mean If I don't have a walkie talkie equipped i can't verbally check to see if that noise was a survivor or not. From the perspective of a counselor that hesitation could lead to survivors not linking up and slowing them down on objective completion and working together. On the other hand Jason could use that to his advantage as well. Purposefully take a running step or two to give off that sound que making the survivor think that "hey jason wants to be sneaky so the only one that would run would be a survivor" only to run around the corner and run right into jason's open hand to wrap it around their throat.

I might be setting up a perfect situation of course but I think this could be another strat used by people in the meta.

only if you both carry a walkie-talkie

Its a walkie talkie guys not a GPS xd 

I vote  No   ^^