damnenchiladas

Jason - Human or Zombie?

Ronnie and I spoke in great detail to Sean Cunningham about this. And most of the theories represented here are in line with our conversation. But also, did you guys get a chance to read the Friday the 13th graphic novels? There are two volumes. The second volume has a chapter called "The Bad Lands". It is a very interesting take on F13 lore. I highly recommend you guys pick it up. Don't want to spoil anything, but basically their stance is that it's less about the Voorhees family, and more about Crystal Lake as a cursed land. The story moves between current time period and then back to Native American times. It also has amazing artwork. 

http://amzn.to/1QUiQo4

badc.JPG

• Like 4

Ronnie and I spoke in great detail to Sean Cunningham about this. And most of the theories represented here are in line with our conversation. But also, did you guys get a chance to read the Friday the 13th graphic novels? There are two volumes. The second volume has a chapter called "The Bad Lands". It is a very interesting take on F13 lore. I highly recommend you guys pick it up. Don't want to spoil anything, but basically their stance is that it's less about the Voorhees family, and more about Crystal Lake as a cursed land. The story moves between current time period and then back to Native American times. It also has amazing artwork. 

badc.JPG

I have read that comic and it is a very interesting theory. How connected is Sean to the comic universe? Does he have direct input or does he let each group take it where they see fit? 

I have always just gone with him being a living person till the end of Final Chapter. From then on he is undead, a rotting corpse reanimated by some unknown force or just the murderous drive of Jason to enact revenge for almost drowning cause of horny teens and also the death of his mother.

Is the Voorhees family line cursed? is the land around Crystal Lake cursed? who knows. I prefer the simpler answer or no answer at all since not knowing the hows and whys makes the character more mysterious.

I know its Canon but I just can't buy anything Jason Goes to Hell tries explain. Out of all the movies it is one of my least favorite ones just by how it treated the material.

badc.JPG

I will HAVE to check those out!

I have read that comic and it is a very interesting theory. How connected is Sean to the comic universe? Does he have direct input or does he let each group take it where they see fit? 

I'm not sure how much input he has with the comic groups. It's a good question. I'll ask him. ;)

-W

I'm not sure how much input he has with the comic groups. It's a good question. I'll ask him. ;)

-W

While you're at it ask him what's up with the new movie! lol 

It would be nice to hear some info on what went wrong with the last pass. Bruckner and Ancosta seemed like a great duo to pull it off! 

"So finally, last February they gave up on it (found footage) and decided to go in a completely different way and now they’re in the process of once again finding a better way to make it."

February was 10 Months ago, what about the current draft with Bruckner and Acosta that is supposed to be the next stage? I guess I am just reacting to an unconfirmed report from F13thfranchise that they were both let go from the project. Hopefully that was just speculation. 

Ancosta submitted a script in July and there was no word of what came out of that. 

There're strong arguments against both zombie and human, but I think labelling Jason in those archetypes takes away from his terrifying yet mysterious design.

I haven't given this kind've thing too much thought but I like to think that he's something completely different, not that I'd claim to know what that is, but for me it's not in the same category as Romero's shambling hordes and not what we'd consider human (though he may have started that way).

I remember someone from the franchise stating once that Jason is so dumb that he doesn't know that he's dead. Might have been Savini. 

Personally,  I hesitate to call Jason stupid or dumb. He may be simple, but he has enough common sense to survive in the woods and silently murder people by the dozen without anyone noticing until it's too late.  However, I could see where he may lack the understanding of the supernatural forces that have taken over his body. 

If he is a product of the Crystal Lake's native curse like in Badlands, he may just not understand it.  When the curse brought Jason back to life, he simply did not know how it happened or how he got there. To him, he was human again and so went back to all those old habits. Building a shack, eating food, clothing himself, etc.. So in a way, he may be some sort of demon but the actual Jason Voorhees is still alive and well within his mind. It's only after his resurrection in part 6 where he starts to somewhat understand what he is after being 'dead' for so long.  

The curse should also incorporate Pamela is some way as well. She died on the shores of the lake and is now part of it's curse. This is why her spirit still appears to Jason and tells him what to do. After all, this is how Freddy got Jason to do his bidding in FvJ which I always thought was a smart plot device. 

This is why I would like some new incarnation of Friday the 13th to incorporate Pamela's spirit back into the story in some way. 

• Like 1

I think a good way to look at Jason's "simplicity" is to consider him driven to the point where he doesn't take what most would consider common sense into account. He's so determined to kill the people in his sights that nothing else really matters. Like the embodiment of rage.

I think a good way to look at Jason's "simplicity" is to consider him driven to the point where he doesn't take what most would consider common sense into account. He's so determined to kill the people in his sights that nothing else really matters. Like the embodiment of rage.

Yes, determination and rage that are driven by revenge. Revenge for his death. Revenge for the death of his mother. He lives by a "kill for mother" mantra and takes it very seriously. 

What I like about the Bad Land concept is that it opens up the world of the supernatural in a fairly simple way. Crystal Lake is a cursed land that drives people to commit awful acts and suffer death as a form of revenge.

In the Bad Land comic, there is a B plot about fur trappers set in the 1700's and their interactions with local natives living in the area. Spoiler alert, it doesn't go well. The fur trappers cross the line and they pay the price when the natives take a brutal revenge. The trappers believe Crystal Lake is a curse land.

From a story telling stand point, Friday the 13th has always been about characters crossing the line and suffering the consequences. Steve Christy returns to the camp against all warnings and for it and he pays the prices. Most of the characters within the films are always crossing lines of morality with sex and drugs. The same acts deemed by Pamela to have caused Jason's death. 

Following the Bad Land logic, one could say when Pamela died, the ancient evil within the lake fed off of her rage and drive for revenge. Pamela's rage was so powerful, it fed the evil enough to give Jason eternal life so he can enact her revenge  over and over again.  

Another theory for the supernatural aspect. If the lake is cursed, it could have been what killed Jason in the first place. Knowing what his death would do to Pamela, it could have lured him into the water and swallowed him whole. That's why they never found him. Then it drove Pamela crazy and drove her to commit the murders.  

The Amityville Horror is a good example of this type of supernatural horror. Another is a similar film that came out this year called "We Are Still Here." I recommend that to anyone looking for a well done haunted house story with solid gore. 

"We Are Still Here." I recommend that to anyone looking for a well done haunted house story with solid gore. 

that one turned out pretty damn good indeed!!

While you're at it ask him what's up with the new movie! lol 

It would be nice to hear some info on what went wrong with the last pass. Bruckner and Ancosta seemed like a great duo to pull it off! 

They're pretty tight lipped about the film. We're not privy to that info. Above our pay grade I'm guessing. ;) But I did ask him about the graphic novels. He said he's never been approached for any of the graphic novels or comics that were made. Sounds like those deals are struck elsewhere, most of the time without him even being aware. 

• Like 1

They're pretty tight lipped about the film. We're not privy to that info. Above our pay grade I'm guessing. ;) But I did ask him about the graphic novels. He said he's never been approached for any of the graphic novels or comics that were made. Sounds like those deals are struck elsewhere, most of the time without him even being aware. 

That's understandable, re: the film. I actually just spoke with a colleague who worked at Paramount Marketing for a while and they said some of the things they were seeing last year (2014) was not very good at all. 

Not surprised about the comics either. I'm sure Sean still has stakes in the franchise but Paramount / New Line probably took over the comic rights. Aside from the Jason X comics, most of the Jason comics do feature the FvJ design which leads me to believe that New Line was the ones pushing the graphic novels.

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to more news and updates on the game! If any more questions come up I'll take them to the proper thread.  

Following the storyline(and my theories) from FvJvA, Jason drowned, Pamela used the Necronomicon to resurrect him but it only worked a while later without her knowing, Jason started growing up as a human/zombie hybrid, and he only became full zombie after lightning resurrected him once again.

I believe Jason's immortality and superhuman strength and durability are part of his genetic make-up and he was born that way, which also includes his ability to regenerate. I don't think he's a mutant per say but I do believe his condition to be a genetic anamoly, and his regeneration is comparable with the X-Men's Wolverine.

I like to classify him as a "superzombie". Cause really, no other zombie-like creatures are as strong as him aside from the horrors you can encounter on Resident Evil games.

When he's in his more zombified state I wonder if that could be attributed to necrosis? Researching it it definitely seems like something I can see him being afflicted with, especially with the wounds he endured in parts 2-4 which would've no doubt gotten some nasty infections.

Jason is God's tool of wraith to kill sinners lol

Jason is The Punisher of slasher villains  :D

• Like 1

That reminds me of how I'd love to see Jason Vs. The Punisher done as a comic.

It would be interesting, though I'm pretty sure Punisher would beat the crap out of Jason, due to having skillz and stuff.

In cross-overs like those, I'd rather have Jason become an ally. That's why the Jason VS Leatherface cross-over is one of my favourites ever.

If Jason grabbed him once (punisher) or even got ahold of him (part 6/7/8) or a spear, harpoon gun(part 3) or dart (part 6), it's finito for punisher.