Ralph Wiggum777

Gameplay Video thoughts and reactions

I wish it was more like GTA. You can sprint for a more realistic length of time, and you tire more realistically, and can jog for a period of time that's more realistic overall with the average person in average shape. Similar "stamina" timetables applied here would be greatly appreciated. 

As for this game, there's definitely room for improvement in that regard IMO. It's too jerky and he goes from being able to run to suddenly "out of stamina" with no transition or slow down. And I maintain his endurance overall is shit for a character of his age/physical condition. Unless of course his backstory is that he smokes a carton a day.

It seemed like Kenny could run for a fairly realistic time. When he ran out of stamina, he gasped and slowed way down, almost like he was about to trip. I mean, it's a fact of life, you can't maintain a full sprint for a very long time. And you've gotta stop and give yourself time to rest occasionally.

If running in F13 was the same as GTA, it would take no effort to outrun Jason. In GTA, you can pretty much just jog forever. You only start losing stamina when you sprint, and even then it takes a fairly long time before you start losing health from it. Way too unrealistic.

• Like 1

People this is the time to voice our opinions Gun wants to hear what we have to say...

I Love it so far my one main concern after watching it over and over is can we slow down the camera it moves left and right way too fast is there a "Toggle" option? I know in Star Wars battlefront I had to bring my camera turning from 25% down to 13% which now it's slower but smoother and easier for me to aim!

The doors seem to open super fas as well!

Other than that very nice and looks and feels COZY!!!

Overall, as the game is still in its beta phase, it's really promising.

Beta feedbacks are here to improve the game, to find a really interesting balance.

I'm personnally waiting to be able to play the game.

It's kinda our duty as players to complain about everything we find unbalanced and look forward to improving the game.

More especially, we have to team up with the devs and acknowledge their limits and difficulties.

I really loved the gameplay video and I like the little player names ( since it will help me with dark maps haha )

I'm curious about other cinematic stuff and how beta's spectator mode will be like

He teleports in the movies, sure. But not when visible like he's a wizard. That's what I'm saying, he shouldn't be able to shift when in the counselors sight. 

Stop with all that wizard talk or you're gonna give away the big surprise sequel announcement, Friday the 13th: Hogwarts edition! For real though, disallowing Jason's powers when being looked at would severely limit his abilities and, like Sanetsuken was saying, would make ganging up on him an extremely powerful strategy. I can already picture the matches now; just have six people bang away at him while one hunts for stuff and then everyone leaves. We're talking about a guy that's been killed and resurrected at least five times in the movie mythos. Is the fact that he can warp around really that unbelievable? :P

omg have people even studied the movies? its exactly how he ran in part 3,  and it was part 3 jason so what's that complaint about?

its Beta, we're supposed to find bugs and suggestions not go against the movies this team stayed very much true to

Yeah, there's clips of him kinda lunge running in Part 2 as well, like when the cops sees him lumber across the street and follows him to his shanty house. The later Kane Hodder Jason's started doing the power walk, but the earlier models all ran in some way or another.

• Like 1

The lead counselor runs out of stamina WAAAAY to quickly. No one should have that shitty of stamina, unless they're 300lbs out pure fat with asthma and COPD. Seemed like I kept hearing "I'm out of stamina" over and over and over. That will be infuriating. I hope this gets fixed and everyone has more believable endurance levels.  -_-

The faces the counselors were making were silly as hell and the graphics overall looked previous-gen as shit. I hope they're able to be improved significantly before release. (I know this is just the beta)

I get what you're saying about the stamina, but most people aren't going to have great stamina when their heart rate is already racing from having witnessed a woman get an axe in the back. They could make the transition from running to jogging a little smoother, but the maps aren't all that massive so if they're going to allow longer stretches of sprinting they would need to slow down how fast the run actually is to compensate. Otherwise, counselors could just save all their stamina and sprint across 25% or more of the map in one go. All that is part of the reason behind the beta test though. To work out the kinks and sharpen the weak points.

In the end, it's not about realism as much as it is about competitive balance. Balance has to be maintained to create a fairness for both sides playing the game. And besides, realism is difficult to argue for when we're talking about a game starting a serial killer zombie with superhuman strength...

• Like 1

Going through it again, here's the player list if it helps you to follow things:

Jason - The Praetorian (Ben)

Head Counselor - IGN|PC (Ronnie)

Athletic Girl - [iLL] Petey

Rocker Chick - Randygbk (Randy)

Tommy Jarvis - [iLL] Butters

Bookish Girl - G__Row
Preppy Guy - Grif (Wes?)

Girl Next Door - Gun (?)

(thanks Sanetsuken for helping identify Ben here)

Someone gets killed off-screen and unheard around the 3:34 mark, I think that might've been Gun as we never see their character apart from on the Status screen.

Randy gets killed around 5:53, G__RoW  around 13:19 and right near the end it's Grif that gets sacrificed at 16:02 as the rest drive off. The other three survive.

Also, someone manages to call for Tommy between the 2:18-3:11 mark and we see [iLL] Butters as him from 7:00 onwards, but there's no clue how that works in terms of replacing a counselor character or something. We don't see the Status screen until near the end, to be able to tell.

I Love it so far my one main concern after watching it over and over is can we slow down the camera it moves left and right way too fast is there a "Toggle" option? I know in Star Wars battlefront I had to bring my camera turning from 25% down to 13% which now it's slower but smoother and easier for me to aim!
The doors seem to open super fas as well!

I really reckon there'll be a sensitivity setting, yeah, for the camera control. If so I'd probably tweak mine down a little too.

And the doors can be opened slower, it's just that Ronnie was really rushing through them most of the time.

Will I have to use a controller or can I use my mouse and keyboard?

I think they've said that PC will have the option of controller or Keyboard + Mouse.

Several things I want to comment:

1) I liked the VHS effect, I think it would be a good idea to add that effect when you're going to die, right after the kinematics of the murder so as not to lose any detail of our death. However, using that effect when Jason uses his powers seems to break the rhythm of the game. It displeased me a little.

2) We already knew that some Jason might run, I accept that, but I think Jason looks very funny and not like a dangerous guy you want to run away from him. It should look more dangerous, not look funny. I know he imitates the movie, but in the game I think it's weird. It will be my perception.

3) If all the counselors agree to go together for Jason they could easily knock him down. It should be more difficult. Even Jason should be so dangerous that we could not consider a direct confrontation against him.

4) I still do not like the angle of the camera. It really seems awkward to me.

5) I do not like being able to see on the map where the other counselors are. I wish I could meet someone suddenly and get scared thinking it's Jason.

Now, the things I liked:

1) The walkie talkie. It seems to me a great idea to be able to speak for proximity to the counselors who are close to me, and to be able to speak to those who are far away only if we both have a walkie talkie. Very realistic.

2) The darkness in the game may seem excessive, but to me it seems ideal, it really is terrifying and so it is just as it should be.

3) I like environmental sounds, I think they are very successful, although I wish I could hear more, of course.

4) I like to have all the objectives ordered to know what there is to do yet.

5) Being able to set traps to hunt Jason is something fabulous. I also think there was something in the windows, because there is a moment when Jason is trapped by the bear trap, and the counselor can not escape through the window because Tommy escaped first there. I liked that.

6) When Jason catches you loosen the weapon you had in hand. A small detail, but I liked it too.

Now a doubt:

Can you turn off the flashlight light whenever you want to prevent Jason from seeing you? There was a time when I thought "Turn off the light, Jason will kill you"

The lead counselor runs out of stamina WAAAAY to quickly. No one should have that shitty of stamina, unless they're 300lbs out pure fat with asthma and COPD. Seemed like I kept hearing "I'm out of stamina" over and over and over. That will be infuriating. I hope this gets fixed and everyone has more believable endurance levels. -_-

The faces the counselors were making were silly as hell and the graphics overall looked previous-gen as shit. I hope they're able to be improved significantly before release. (I know this is just the beta)

Guy didn't know how to conserve stamina worth diddly squat he ran literally everywhere and then when the danger actually came he was out of stamina. Wait till we actually see how it is balanced instead of jumping to conclusions.

I wish it was more like GTA. You can sprint for a more realistic length of time, and you tire more realistically, and can jog for a period of time that's more realistic overall with the average person in average shape. Similar "stamina" timetables applied here would be greatly appreciated.

As for this game, there's definitely room for improvement in that regard IMO. It's too jerky and he goes from being able to run to suddenly "out of stamina" with no transition or slow down. And I maintain his endurance overall is shit for a character of his age/physical condition. Unless of course his backstory is that he smokes a carton a day.

GTA could afford more realism because running had zero to do with balance... and balance is pretry much not existant in that game.

In case you haven't noticed, Jason isn't that fast.

And I don't think you've been paying attention to how the counselor played. It wasn't sudden. He literally ran whenever he could so it's no mystery why he was always out if stamina.

Can you turn off the flashlight light whenever you want to prevent Jason from seeing you? There was a time when I thought "Turn off the light, Jason will kill you"

He turns the light off in the barn when Jason is just outside attacking someone else, so yes the light can be turned off.

Several things I want to comment:

1) I liked the VHS effect, I think it would be a good idea to add that effect when you're going to die, right after the kinematics of the murder so as not to lose any detail of our death. However, using that effect when Jason uses his powers seems to break the rhythm of the game. It displeased me a little.

2) We already knew that some Jason might run, I accept that, but I think Jason looks very funny and not like a dangerous guy you want to run away from him. It should look more dangerous, not look funny. I know he imitates the movie, but in the game I think it's weird. It will be my perception.

3) If all the counselors agree to go together for Jason they could easily knock him down. It should be more difficult. Even Jason should be so dangerous that we could not consider a direct confrontation against him.

4) I still do not like the angle of the camera. It really seems awkward to me.

5) I do not like being able to see on the map where the other counselors are. I wish I could meet someone suddenly and get scared thinking it's Jason.

Now, the things I liked:

1) The walkie talkie. It seems to me a great idea to be able to speak for proximity to the counselors who are close to me, and to be able to speak to those who are far away only if we both have a walkie talkie. Very realistic.

2) The darkness in the game may seem excessive, but to me it seems ideal, it really is terrifying and so it is just as it should be.

3) I like environmental sounds, I think they are very successful, although I wish I could hear more, of course.

4) I like to have all the objectives ordered to know what there is to do yet.

5) Being able to set traps to hunt Jason is something fabulous. I also think there was something in the windows, because there is a moment when Jason is trapped by the bear trap, and the counselor can not escape through the window because Tommy escaped first there. I liked that.

6) When Jason catches you loosen the weapon you had in hand. A small detail, but I liked it too.

Now a doubt:

People keep saying he should run better, yet nobody suggested anything different or better.

People keep saying he should run better, yet nobody suggested anything different or better.

All right. I'll try to explain how I'd like to see Jason run.

I know Jason runs like the movie part 3, but in the game I see it a little strange. My feeling is that I was making small jumps, so I thought it was fun.

Jason is over two meters tall and weighs more than a hundred, so racing should look very heavy. I have no idea how to create a video game, so I do not know how much you can recreate a way of run specifically. But it's my feeling, Jason should look heavier and more aggressive, I know where the intention comes from having that form of running, so I do not complain too much, I talk more about my impression when I see it, what I felt when I saw it. The movements should seem more awkward when running. 
  • Like 1

Just throwing this out there, but I find it pretty encouraging that the hottest point of contention is how Jason runs.  I mean, if that's really what's bothering people then the game must be pretty GD solid.

• Like 4

Jason is over two meters tall and weighs more than a hundred, so racing should look very heavy. I have no idea how to create a video game, so I do not know how much you can recreate a way of run specifically. But it's my feeling, Jason should look heavier and more aggressive, I know where the intention comes from having that form of running, so I do not complain too much, I talk more about my impression when I see it, what I felt when I saw it. The movements should seem more awkward when running. 

Jason in the earlier movies has kind of a hunched over jog that fits the run in the game.(see link at bottom) I agree about making the run flow a little more awkward though. He was a handicap kid, so a slightly awkward run style would fit the profile of a kid that might have some form of physical deformity.

https://youtu.be/QytYkeu17J8

• Like 3

Jason in the earlier movies has kind of a hunched over jog that fits the run in the game.(see link at bottom) I agree about making the run flow a little more awkward though. He was a handicap kid, so a slightly awkward run style would fit the profile of a kid that might have some form of physical deformity.

I actually had not considered that. Jason's running animation didn't really bother me that much, but this point makes it seem like a really cool detail.

Okay, run of that form because of his physical deformity has more logic. As someone has said before, if all we care about are these small details is a good sign, and we are only talking about the beta. This game promises a lot.

• Like 1

Think it looks excellent, and I'm more hyped than ever now!

I would reiterate other posters in saying I would rather not know where my fellow counselors are on the map.

I.e. If I'm in one of the cabin rooms and hear someone enter the building...I want to feel the tension of not knowing if it is a fellow counselor or Jason. I'd have to ask "Who's there?" (on the mic)...as in reality. If I don't get an answer...it means the other counselor doesn't have a mic (good movie-like false junp scare effect)...or Jason just entered the same cabin as me and I'm now shirting it.

Or if I'm sprinting through the woods, and suddenly see movement up ahead...I want that split second gut feeling of "Fuck, is that Jason?".

• Like 6

The way combat works worries me a bit. WHat's to stop people gathering around jason in a circle and just poke him like a pinäta to make time go by?

I get that there's durability, but from the looks of it if you time it, it seems too easy to just hack down jason and wasting time. Especially worrying since counselors can win by default due to time constraints.

Might be hyperboling though.

Love how the fear meter works though. Losing vision and sight of everything can be a game changer. 

Too bad we didn't see anything from jason's perspective, but then again i guess that's for the best (for now).

Hoping there's not many pocket knives around. Seems to act as a one time complete defence against jason. Wouldn't want anyone to just stock up on it.

Though there's so much of the game i like so far. The counselors not going for the cops asap was confusing at first, but then you see where the cops can come from and the fact that they decide it's too far away is exhilirating.

Wonder what jason could have done to the car at the very end though. Seemed like he had options, but short of grabbing someone out of the drivers seat mid-drive i don't see it. Maybe hack the wheels so it falls apart? But that'd take some strikes so...

The cars come across as a surefire way of getting away barring driving incompetence, hope jason has tools to deal with that particular element. The game should be over once they cross the border, not when the car is in motion imo

1st I loved the gameplay and a big thank you team! I just thought there was too many weapons for counslors, it seemed like everyone had a weapon, kinda was wishing weapons were/will be rare items to find. hoping its not as you said circle around Jason and mob beat him to death, also as counselors fix cars & boats to escape can Jason undo the work they have done? 

Think weapons are important as otherwise as soon as Jason finds you, you're dead. Jason needs to be overpowered, but not to the extent that anyone playing as a counselor is gonna throw their controller down as soon as Jason grabs them.

My only comment, if I had to pick something different from everyone else, is for the music.  I feel the boombox mechanic (the closer Jason is the louder it gets), while awesome, I think it should be slightly tweaked, give me a moment to explain how.

In Alien Isolation, they had this dynamic mechanic with the music to where everything dynamically molded together so you couldn't QUITE distinguish whether the Alien was close or far.  The music grows more intense yes when he's closer, but it all felt situational, and there was no "exclamation" to the player.  I would love to see the music molded in such a way, that the player is never able to say, "Oh hey, I hear Jason's music, he's close".  That to me kills all of the potential fear that could lead up to an awesome encounter.  INSTEAD the player should be saying, "I think Jason's getting closer, but I'm not sure."  They should feel UNCOMFORTABLE, not ALERTED to his presense.  And THEN when it's obvious the player has a solid visual on him, it can go into that peak music, but before that moment...   

Say when you are inside a cabin, say Jason is SUPER close but you can't see him, the music should grow more uncomfortable, but should meld well with whatever track was playing BEFORE that instance, so now the player would be unable to distinguish quite well if Jason is nearby, but they know to be more cautious now, they have moment of unease.

This creates a cool moment for the Jason player, sortof a PREP to chase moment.  Creating a REAL fear for the counselor playing.

They would need to REALLY expand their sound tracks for this, so there would be no way for players to ever catch what's going on musically, because there'd be a number of tracks that could play to mix it all up.

So essentially in Summary, it would look like this.

1. Normal Music (No Jason interaction)

2. Jason is approaching (Normal Music transitions seemlessly into something a little more uncomfortable **beginning to peak**, player should feel uneased)

3. Jason engages the chase (music goes to climax)

You could mix all kinds of interactive stingers and 'moment' tracks into all this recipe, and I think it would just top that iciing on the cake in terms of cinematic moments.

• Like 4

I loved the gameplay I thought it was awesome how you could see other counselors on the minimap which will make coordination easier or provide you someone to run past if Jason is chasing you lol but I was happy with every thing overall although I would like to know how the Ayer for Tommy Jarvis is chosen and how that works but I really liked everything else