The80s

Visible Wounds / Actual Physcial Damage vs Blood Splatter

Will we ever actually see any graphically depicted wounds or cuts on the injured counselors? The only time I've ever seen an actual wound was in the Vid where Jason cut that guy's arms off (And yet, after he pulls the machete out from hacking his head, there's a lack of an open gash in his head). Another one was where Jason steps on that chicks face. Lots of blood but no actual physical damage. The only thing that ever seems to show up is a bunch of blood splatter but nothing else. Hopefully the final product will be more graphic instead of just using tons of blood to merely imply "damage." 

See, even in the most recent pics.....no actual wounds present. Just lots of blood:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzQsVhCWIAAsKpv.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzRD3iZUsAEKjqL.jpg:large

I hope the actual final game will depict more strong and detailed graphic gore and violence, where we see actual wounds, layers of cut flesh (even down to the bone) and guts hanging out when appropriate. 

As is, this reminds me of the old westerns that used a simple blood splat to represent a bullet hole instead of being far more detailed, graphic, and realistic like today's films. 

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the power they're working with from consoles and making sure a plethora of PCs will be able to run it effectively. Only time will tell, maybe Wes can chime in and explain it a little more in depth

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the power they're working with from consoles and making sure a plethora of PCs will be able to run it effectively. Only time will tell, maybe Wes can chime in and explain it a little more in depth

If that's the case, it blows my mind that this is still an issue. It's nearly 2017 and we're playing on the most powerful consoles ever. Of course PC's will always be way ahead, but in terms of the consoles themselves, they've never been more powerful. Especially with the recent release of the newest and even more powerful Xbox One Scorpio and PS4 Pro. 

With that excuse you'd think we were still playing in the PS3/360 era. 

Hopefully we're just jumping to conclusions and there's another explanation. Perhaps we'll get the proper and realistic gore in the final game? If they can detail the hell out of the clothes and all of Jason's faces, I don't see why they can't detail the hell out of wounds. Ben? Wes?

• Like 1

If that's the case, it blows my mind that this is still an issue. It's nearly 2017 and we're playing on the most powerful consoles ever. Of course PC's will always be way ahead, but in terms of the consoles themselves, they've never been more powerful. Especially with the recent release of the newest and even more powerful Xbox One Scorpio and PS4 Pro. 

Hopefully we're just jumping to conclusions and there's another explanation. Perhaps we'll get the proper and realistic gore in the final game? If they can detail the hell out of the clothes and all of Jason's faces, I don't see why they can't detail the hell out of wounds. Ben? Wes?

I'm not saying that is the reason or excuse of course, I'm not overly sure exactly what it is.

Yeah we are playing on the most powerful consoles ever, but graphical fidelity has gone up tremendously alongside the power of consoles. There is a lot of technical aspects that go into even a small amount of minute detailing on stuff like wounds, gore. 

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to game design, but it would be cool to hear about the more technical side of your question. 

We have made massive technological advancements in terms of processing power and 3d work however you have to keep this in mind. To render 3D takes a lot of time to render an image / scene. I will start with graphic cut scenes. Those 3D scenes take hours and sometimes days to complete rendering a clip. The computer needs to compile all that data and convert it into the highest quality of what you are seeing. It incorporates multiple tiers of information such as the animation data, the textures, the way light is received the way light bounces, reflections and a multitude of other things that I could go on and on. 3d work contains a ton of data you need to incorporate for every aspect in 3D you don't just make a 3d mesh and say OK this will be red that will be blue and it will look great there are several settings that need to be adjusted and worked on. Which is why it takes forever for renderings to be completed.

Now continuing with cut scenes. They are linear you see the scene the way it was rendered. You can not change the cut scene, data was compiled and it is stream lined.

Moving on now to game play. You can turn in any direction, items move and cast shadows and reflections as you change your position in relation to it. Someone can run by you at any moment. The engines such as unreal 4, unity, cryengine, ect are designed to render all that data in real time. It is why cut scenes always look so much more detailed than game play. In order to get that instant rendering with user input it puts quite a load onto processors and graphics cards and it will never be the highest quality render because those take several hours to make happen.

Maybe one day in the future they will figure out some way to tap into that and make such things a reality but the tech does not exist yet and if it is possible is a question for people smarter than myself and if it could be done how much would it actually cost and is it affordable to the general public. Each year we make huge advancements but there are limitations to our technology.

I think it will be gorier then we have seen. i think we will see the gashes and guts your wanting. in a panel they had months ago. tom said they where able to make it more gorier then any of the movies. While the rest of the panel ssshhhhh him. they want to let alot of things be a surprise

• Like 2

in order to make wounds they have to redo the clothes and make them breakable or go between 1 - other versions like the window.

so i think not 

In the kills video they showed off Jason cutting the arms off of the preppy guy. So there's dismemberment.

But what your talking about is model shifting mid game in an online multiplayer game... and that's what we like to call a HOLY GRAIL.

Chunking is possible, Dismemberment is possible, but active battle damage in an online multiplayer game is one HELL of a thing to accomplish.

Think about chunking for a second... when someones head explodes in games you can get slow down because it changes your model into several smaller models dropped where the head used to be even if they are temporary.

So what about showing cuts? They have to come up with a system to put cut decal's on survivors in the general places they get hit (Looks like shit) OR they have to have TOTALLY DIFFERENT MODELS per place they get cut and load them into the game based on where they get cut at. Now what happens if they get cut again? The survivors would have to be put together like 3d puzzles based on where they should be showing damage. And that's just WAY too much work / Load on the PC.

Of course they could have a better system to accomplish such things now days but as far as I know that's basically how they would have to do it.

The best looking gore based game I have seen STILL follows these rules. Killing Floor 2 has lots of chunking, and when you cut them you have lots of bloody decals on where you hit them. But at the end of the day they are still just decals being displayed on the model.

Yea they said they have a test health bad for their play testing it can be Sean in the video where Deborah Jumps through the window and gets cut up a small red health bad appears at the bottom of the screen and when asked about it they said it wasn't a final model and they werent even sure they wanted a health bar and like with fear you would have to look at their body movements and language to see how hurt they are

I agree with @the80"s ... curious about detail, but why can't they have a preloaded library of cuts gashes slices stab wounds caved in head crushes etc pre loaded (stickers) that would essentially just appear moment of impact?? There would be no rendering because it was preloaded at start menu! I know it would be super tedious and time consuming to put hundreds of alternate wounds each to suit every counselor and wardrobe and or shadow/ lighting but could this be possible if they have the time and funds?

Just curious

Edit:

Don't get me wrong I'm amazed by the kills and blood they look amazing and that's good enough for me but you know there can always be more detail ;)

They might be able to implement a system similar to how mkx does. A gradual state change depending on how badly damaged a character is? Not area specific, but overall looking worse off...like powell said, similar to "stickers"?