Sign in to follow this  
tyrant666

Doors Rant - What Do You Do With 2 Door Cabins, Should Busted Doors Deal Damage To Counselors?

One of the things that the devs loved to brag about before launch and beta was the windows doing incremental damage to counselors if they went through them after they were broken to curve 'looping'. Of course in hindsight with the perks, this has become mostly a point of irrelevancy with med, thick skin, etc.

With two door cabins, its always been a tricky one for me. Most often, it could be argued to be easier to just bust down both doors because its less in the way as Jason. However since busted doors don't do ANY DAMAGE to counselors, all it does is give counselors more time to run from cabin to cabin and avoid broken windows. However if they have closed both sets of doors and/or locked them. If you only destroy one set of doors, you can potentially trap them inside unless they have a window close by. The problem is if they escape via the window, now you have to bust down the door, go around, burn a morph or a shift, etc. Its more time consuming.

Over time, some people adopted the strategy to just leave doors wide open so they can't be used as traps against them and because they can close the door in Jason's face with ample time. Not everybody does this, as its mostly just people looking to hunt, troll or fuck around with Jason. Likewise there are Jason players who have also adopted the strategy of NOT destroying windows, forcing counselors to open them the slow way as a risk or just dive through them.

What this amounts to is I wonder if busted doors should've dealt damage to counselors over time the same way windows do? This would've made the long winded, loopathon style gameplay become more risk/reward over time, especially for trolololol faster counselors whose sole purpose is the hunt or troll. If every cabin is destroyed, doors and windows alike. Every time you run inside a cabin, you take some kind of incremental damage. Say the leftover wood from the doorframes cuts the counselors over time, just like the shards of glass from the windows.

I kinda wonder in hindsight if broken doors should've dealt the same kind of damage as broken windows? The perks still would've made this irrelevant probably, but I feel like it would've made cabins much more risk/reward if every avenue of escape could deal damage if they were broken?

tumblr_p3fvh2gLlE1w0433po1_500.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Lol you serious? 
After counselors leaving doors open and pretending to handicap Jason doing that we also have those who don't break windows as Jason and those who think that a completely destroyed wooden door that leave space for a giant killer to pass on it, should damage a human body of a person half his size. 
Let's see what we have next. 

• Like 2

Some of y'alls balance ideas are just... so extreme. ?

• Like 3

Obviously this is a video game, but when the door is busted down, the wood pieces fall onto the ground in a pile, so I don't think that would hurt you in anyway going through said door. You would just simply walk over the wood.

• Like 1

Wow, if you had suggested a stumble trigger be added, negated by the perks sneaky and spacial awareness, I probably would have though sure that could make sense, a one time stumble isn’t to bad but I think I’ll pass on damage.

As for what I personally do, I think it goes like this. Only bust one door, remember to get out of sight and use stalk before you enter, it makes them think you’re shifting or have morphed, break every window they add up. Trap the unbroken door if it leads to another safe cabin, or the broken door if the unbroken one leads to a broken cabin. Herd those pesky Counselors to areas you have already been in or have prepped earlier. As for balance, every Jason should have two more traps or the ability to collect unused Counselor traps but that’s just, like my opinion, you know what I mean? (Ie. I don’t really want to fight about it, I get that other people would hate that happening.) 

• Like 1

No, with windows you are squeezing through a narrow opening with shattered glass. Counselors have a limited stamina pool, that's how the issue of infinite looping is dealt with in game. Killing counselors isn't supposed to be like shooting fish in a barrel, the game needs to be challenging on both sides of the spectrum to be rewarding for the gamers.

• Like 1

it's silly to think someone could be significantly injured walking through a door that's been completely smashed down.

That would make sense, if the door was the size of one of those small doggy doors and counselors had to squeeze through it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillyBallo said:

Lol you serious? 
After counselors leaving doors open and pretending to handicap Jason doing that we also have those who don't break windows as Jason and those who think that a completely destroyed wooden door that leave space for a giant killer to pass on it, should damage a human body of a person half his size. 
Let's see what we have next. 

I forgot to mention those who think that Jason should not get stunned. My bad, apologies.

I run Jenny with thick skinned, hypochondriac, and medic. With this setup, I can loop a lot more than I can with my other counselors who do not run this build. This does not make breaking the windows “irrelevant.” Trust me, the damage is being dealt, and more than previous patches. What’s the trouble however, it’s a great waste of Jason’s time- especially against a group of counselors who know what they are doing. You don’t want to tunnel players like these while others are still alive. Now if this archetype is in the fuse house and you suspect they may be able to get the fuse in before you get back, you have to play smart. When they climb outside the window you need to trick them into thinking you are morphing outside as well, when all you really need to do is shift inside and hope they climb back in. Best way to do this is pop stalk and shift OUT OF THEIR LINE OF SIGHT. This works more often then not.  Doesn’t work well against new players. 

I don’t like the idea of having damaged doors inflict damage on players when they walk through. I understand this is a video game, but even still that’s reaching a bit. 

My number one rule for learning how to deal with game mechanics I don’t understand is to do it myself. That way when I am on the opposition, I can “get in the other player’s mind.”

Get creative and figure out yourself how to be a good looper, and when its your time to be Jason, you’ll fair much better at dealing with nuisance counselors. 

No. Broken doors shouldn't be an issue. 

But Jason should be able to lay traps anywhere. Still a resource used, and it would up the stakes. 

• Like 2

If they were ever able to have a 'hardcore' meta mode.

Basic Changes

- No Jason Music

- No Sense For Jason

- No world maps for counselor, only minimap

Course, they would need 'new' servers for such things.

@tyrant666 I have walked through open arches that contained a door before I smashed it down with varying implements of destruction on many occasions during demolition jobs. I assure you, it is quite safe to do so. Others that have walked through after I smashed the doors down also found it to be quite safe to do so and I have never seen nor heard of an injury caused in this manner. I don't have to smash the doors down on jobs like this... but I can... and I find it amusing... unless they want to re-use the door, then I can't smash it down.
    Passing through a window frame that still contains broken glass... well, don't try that at home.

Have you tried shifting against a table, wall or other object to stay in one place when shifting? They cannot tell where you are shifting to and very often they will run towards you... that one has worked well for me to counter the looping.

The hardcore mode you mention sounds interesting... I have seen a few suggestions for hardcore modes before. I would like to give this, or any other hardcore mode a try. But I don't think they would need new servers for that. An alteration to certain parameters within a match, menu options in the lobby for match setting and stuff like that... but I don't think separate servers would be needed... but there's that damned new content again... Damn! 

11 hours ago, Ahab said:

@tyrant666 I have walked through open arches that contained a door before I smashed it down with varying implements of destruction on many occasions during demolition jobs. I assure you, it is quite safe to do so. Others that have walked through after I smashed the doors down also found it to be quite safe to do so and I have never seen nor heard of an injury caused in this manner. I don't have to smash the doors down on jobs like this... but I can... and I find it amusing... unless they want to re-use the door, then I can't smash it down.
    Passing through a window frame that still contains broken glass... well, don't try that at home.

Have you tried shifting against a table, wall or other object to stay in one place when shifting? They cannot tell where you are shifting to and very often they will run towards you... that one has worked well for me to counter the looping.

The hardcore mode you mention sounds interesting... I have seen a few suggestions for hardcore modes before. I would like to give this, or any other hardcore mode a try. But I don't think they would need new servers for that. An alteration to certain parameters within a match, menu options in the lobby for match setting and stuff like that... but I don't think separate servers would be needed... but there's that damned new content again... Damn! 

I hear ya.

4 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

The animation for climbing over broken glass could be made slightly longer than the animation for climbing through an unbroken window, and maybe that would fix the issue.

THAT is a great idea.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

The animation for climbing over broken glass could be made slightly longer than the animation for climbing through an unbroken window, and maybe that would fix the issue.

That is actually a very good idea.

13 hours ago, Ahab said:

That is actually a very good idea.

Or adjust the damage climbing though window.  As Jason, I really don't bother breaking windows since the time investment isn't all that great when you consider the all the counselors with medic or thickedSkin.  Unless its per-emptively next to something like the fuse or I'm on my last counselor, which I have a habit of drawing it out longer by cutting the power (if it wasn't already) and smashing windows and weaking doors on near-by cabins,  I'd rather relentlessly pressure the counselor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

Or adjust the damage climbing though window.  As Jason, I really don't bother breaking windows since the time investment isn't all that great when you consider the all the counselors with medic or thickedSkin.  Unless its per-emptively next to something like the fuse or I'm on my last counselor, which I have a habit of drawing it out longer by cutting the power (if it wasn't already) and smashing windows and weaking doors on near-by cabins,  I'd rather relentlessly pressure the counselor.

The damage is probably as high as it should get. Making the broken window animation longer would give Jason more chances to catch up.

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

The damage is probably as high as it should get. Making the broken window animation longer would give Jason more chances to catch up.

Oh I get that.  I'm just giving out a alternate idea for a broken window buff.  I'm in favor of any small buff to Jason while also giving a reason to want to actively smash windows (because now, I don't care to.)

• Like 1

@GeneiJin Also a good idea... I do enjoy breaking windows a bit too much, but with the amount of med sprays and medic and thick skinned perks that are used, attrition is a good idea in many circumstances... every little bit helps when trying to force them to burn up resources.
   I also am in favor of a bit of a buff for the big guy... but too many little buffs add up to a bit too much. I would rather see different buffs to him than this... as you know.

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow The thick skinned and medic perks combined with the number of med sprays already in game come pretty close to nullifying window damage as it stands now. The only people this would hurt would be players like myself who never use these perks.
   Making the broken window animation longer only gives Jason a chance to catch up if the player decided not to jump through it... and no one should be jumping through a window in slow motion either... Without Jason in the area, anyone would show more caution when climbing through a broken window... but they would be rushed if he was behind them... imminent threat and all that... It probably shouldn't be slowed if the counselor is aware Jason is nearby... but perhaps it makes more sense to be slowed (just a bit) if the counselor is not aware Jason is nearby (including when he is in stalk and hasn't been noticed yet)… or perhaps even the speed of window climbing should be tied to fear level... slow and low damage at no fear and increasing in speed and damage level as fear rises. There are, however, other issues that should be dealt with that could make this a bad idea if they were dealt with.
   Either way.... any adjustment to damage here should be very small to faster or slower window crawling animations... if it were ever to be implemented at all.
   But... if we did have two speeds of window crawling as I just described, perhaps the cautious window crawling (slower animation) should also do less damage then the panicked window crawling (faster animation). It is merely food for thought anyway.

Taking damage through broken doors is a straight no from me. Changing the speeds of entering or exiting a broken window is a no also. 

I agree that the game should favour Jason more, it should always be roughly 70-30 but the environment shouldn’t completely F’ over the counsellors in a way that renders it that difficult because at some point the more changes to the game you do, you are rewarding the Jason players who suck. The game at the minute rewards the smart counsellors and rewards the strategist Jasons.

Playing as a counsellor is fair, it depends on your luck of cabin item drops, your own skill and the skill of whoever’s playing Jason. In my opinion if you need to rely on doors damaging counsellors or window speed, you might need to work on playing as Jason more.

Just my two cents worth!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TommysMightyChin said:

In my opinion if you need to rely on doors damaging counsellors or window speed, you might need to work on playing as Jason more.

This, 100%. The balance doesn't need to go too far in the way of Jason players looking for a handout.

• Thanks 1