Jump to content
wes

FAQ - Content, Legal Status and The Future of The Game

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Yobo1987 said:

Isn't the only thing affected the first film where the mother is the killer.

How could that interfere with the game?

   Well, Mr. Cunningham actually came up with the title of the first movie and quite a few (perhaps even more than a few) aspects of the 1st movie. There was also another writer who is uncredited that did re-writes on the script of the first movie, you can see part of an interview with him (I cannot remember his name at this time) in the documentary: Crystal Lake Memories (If you are a fan of the franchise, I highly recommend this documentary)... Mr. Miller has the rights to the first movie (in the U.S.)... so the title alone would do it right there. Pamela is in the game... even though it is a disembodied voice, she is still in the game... as is the sweater she wore in Part 1, also her head. Child Jason is also in the game (Spoiler Alert!!! He is in the virtual cabin)... also from Part 1. The name "Jason Voorhees" and the name "Camp Crystal Lake" or even "Camp Blood"... also from Part 1. The design of the Crystal Lake map has a great many elements in it directly (and obviously) directly based on things from that camp in the movie. There is more... but the list could seem repetitive after these alone.
   With even one element from something Mr. Miller now has rights to... he would probably need to be consulted on (and approve) any new additions to the game, even if these additions had nothing to do with Part 1 (new things would be going into a property that includes things he does have rights to, so he would have a say at the very least)... and also paid for them, unless he does not want any money (RIGHT... like he wouldn't want money). IF he does want money, than an agreement has to be reached with him... If he feels it is too little he can reject it and then nothing happens anyway. If he wants too much money, than it would not be worth moving forward and once more, nothing happens. But he would still have to answer his phone. 

    A major selling point of this game comes from Part 1, as you can see from the few elements I listed above. If all of these elements were removed, perhaps he would have no say or a right to money made by the game... but it would be a very different game... I could be wrong on some of this, but one thing is for sure... legal issues like this are full of loopholes on both sides. There are also... more than likely... a great many other legal issues to consider either way... and dealing with lawyers is not fun... It is also expensive to deal with lawyers. 

   Also... the desires of the fans are completely irrelevant. This entire thing is really non of our business. Everyone wants to have an opinion on what they think should happen... but the only opinions that truly matter are those of the people involved (the holders of the rights)... and we all need to let them sort it out on their own. The best we can hope for is that they do communicate and get it all settled out so the entire franchise can move on.
   I hope you get the point I am trying to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, wes said:

Hey Campers,

Long time no see, I hope you're well. Been a crazy few months, huh? I know there's a lot of questions you all have about the game, future content, legal, etc, etc. We rounded up the most frequently asked questions from the community and worked with the license holders to answer them. Everything we put out or say publicly (including this very forum post) must be approved by the license holders. Some of you will have more questions after reading this below, however, we are not currently able to answer them. Please do not think this is me, or anyone from Gun ignoring you. Please understand the sensitivity and seriousness that the entire F13 IP is currently tangled up in. I spent the last few weeks with legal and the license holders getting these answers. When we know more and can share it, we will.

The summary of the state of things is very much appreciated.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, tyrant666 said:

You guys should've stuck it out with Summer Camp.

I'd be curious as to how successful this game would have been if it had remained "Summer Camp Vol. 1".

On 10/16/2018 at 12:34 PM, Dragonfire82877 said:

Secondly, this comment right here is enough to give people hope for future content. It may be false hope, but it's hope none the less.

The way something is worded can always lead to hope, false or not.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:37 PM, BigJay said:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

That is my motto. I've been preparing for quite a while now.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:38 PM, vaporeonlover971 said:

I hope that this will calm the fire of hate towards you guys as game makers.

Some people will never be satisfied. They live for the fires of chaos and confusion.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:49 PM, K3ys3r S0z3 said:

If they cant add a rock to the game, how would a game mode be ok? They cant add anything new til Victor and Sean agree. I dont think theres a loophole here. Only loophole that was possible was having completed content in the game code before the cutoff. 

That ship has long since sailed.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, deathbat96777 said:

What if you were able to release everything except Grendel? I'm sure most people wouldn't care as long as they still had Uber and the kill packs. That alone would be a good enough send off to satisfy most people 

That would be a great way to offend the fans who wanted Grendel. For them, it's all or nothing.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, K3ys3r S0z3 said:

This isnt about money today, its about money over the next 30 years.

That's looking at the bigger picture.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:15 PM, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

No false hope here man! We just need to hope Horror Inc sees how badly we want content back!

I's sure by now they are aware of how the fans feel about things. Their decisions don't take us into account, because it's about what they want.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:33 PM, SharpHandBiscuit said:

They honestly should focus on making and giving Jason a buff and making it easier for players to Block considering the ping issues effects combat stance. I honestly hope they bring balance to the game. It's too easy to kill Jason, too easy for Jason to get bullied and I need a challenge.

There are plenty of topics about this matter.

23 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

Well I spoke to Tom Savini at a local horror convention recently and he seems to think Sean/Horror inc. are going to appeal the decision and not settle. I hope he is wrong but that is his gut feeling. He thinks Sean should work something out as well and not drag this out any longer. We shall have to wait and see. I wouldn't get any false hopes up . I'd like to know how much of an effort is  really being made by Horror Inc. to reach out to Victor.

As he's close to the powers that be, I'm sure his gut feeling is spot on.

12 hours ago, Brigadius said:

It would be like going to McDonald's and the fry station is being repaired so they stopped making burgers. 

I'm not a big McDonald's fan, but I get what you are trying to say.

8 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

i still warm up against the bots every night before i play. have to keep the skills sharp in this game.

I use the bots for warm-up as well.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

   Also... the desires of the fans are completely irrelevant. This entire thing is really non of our business. Everyone wants to have an opinion on what they think should happen... but the only opinions that truly matter are those of the people involved (the holders of the rights)... and we all need to let them sort it out on their own. The best we can hope for is that they do communicate and get it all settled out so the entire franchise can move on.
   I hope you get the point I am trying to make.

I agree. This dispute doesn't concern us, but it does affect us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, wes said:

Q: Why did you (Gun Media) decide to stop making content?

A: The decision was made for us to stop making content due to the sensitivity of the legal process. Gun does not own rights to Friday the 13th: The Game. We continue to work with our partners at Horror, Inc. as more information unfolds. Gun wants to release content, as do our partners at Horror. Until more clarity is provided, we can not add new content.  

GunMedia wants to make Content....literally in the post people....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

GunMedia wants to make Content....literally in the post people....

It's nice that they want to make content. There are just two things to keep in mind.

1. They need to have the approval from the powers that be.

2. They are in the middle of a new project. They are unlikely to just stop and come back to this game's new content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

It's nice that they want to make content. There are just two things to keep in mind.

1. They need to have the approval from the powers that be.

2. They are in the middle of a new project. They are unlikely to just stop and come back to this game's new content.

That's all pure speculation tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

That's all pure speculation tho.

It's equal speculation that new content will be made for this game. We all want it, that's true, but no one knows what the future holds at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

It's equal speculation that new content will be made for this game. We all want it, that's true, but no one knows what the future holds at this point.

I'm sure I'm stating "Hope" in my sentences right?....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

I'm sure I'm stating "Hope" in my sentences right?....

This is nothing wrong with having hope. I would like to see new content as much as you or anyone else would. I'd be a bit cautious about getting the hopes of so many people up. I will continue to enjoy the game as-is. If we get new content, great. If we don't, I'll cope with it. Until Gun says, "we will be developing new content", it's still a no. No amount of hope will change that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

As I explained I have always hated his character. I found him incredibly annoying and was hoping he'd buy the farm.

Be positive.

If they get to do Single Player Challenges again, you'll probably get to run Reggie over with the tractor or something, like Jenny getting hung in the Higgins Barn.?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Be positive.

If they get to do Single Player Challenges again, you'll probably get to run Reggie over with the tractor or something, like Jenny getting hung in the Higgins Barn.

I believe @thrawn3054 positively doesn't care for Reggie. It would be interesting to see how Gun would implement him, if the option presented itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I believe @thrawn3054 positively doesn't care for Reggie. It would be interesting to see how Gun would implement him, if the option presented itself.

I know he doesn't.

That's why I said he'll get to run him over with the tractor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Armani? said:

I know he doesn't.

That's why I said he'll get to run him over with the tractor.

A tractor, that's what we're missing in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I believe @thrawn3054 positively doesn't care for Reggie. It would be interesting to see how Gun would implement him, if the option presented itself.

 

19 minutes ago, Armani? said:

I know he doesn't.

That's why I said he'll get to run him over with the tractor.

You're right I don't. But that did make me laugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

GunMedia wants to make Content....literally in the post people....

With how much backlash the game and their handling of it has gotten I wouldn't rule out that they'd rather just move on despite any potential to continue and hope people forget about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

With how much backlash the game and their handling of it has gotten I wouldn't rule out that they'd rather just move on despite any potential to continue and hope people forget about it.

Uuuuuuuh no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fair Play said:

That would be a great way to offend the fans who wanted Grendel. For them, it's all or nothing.

The big difference between Grendel and the clothing/kills packs/Uber Jason, as stated in the OP,  is that Grendel was no where near finished and won't see the light of day. The best we might hope for is if it's a bonus free roam map in offline mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm banking on this new Halloween movie being a big hit this weekend. That should hopefully give enough motivation for both parties to get back to the table to cut a deal. I really am fiending for new maps, clothing and kills packs, Jason X and even new music!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aurllcooljay said:

The big difference between Grendel and the clothing/kills packs/Uber Jason, as stated in the OP,  is that Grendel was no where near finished and won't see the light of day. The best we might hope for is if it's a bonus free roam map in offline mode.

It's to bad about the map. I'm sure there was potential there.

19 minutes ago, Jasonlives4ever said:

I'm banking on this new Halloween movie being a big hit this weekend. That should hopefully give enough motivation for both parties to get back to the table to cut a deal. I really am fiending for new maps, clothing and kills packs, Jason X and even new music!

I'm taking the family to see it this weekend. As far as it lighting a fire under the parties at war over the F13 franchise, we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fair Play said:

It's to bad about the map. I'm sure there was potential there.

So much potential, I looked forward to having to play it differently than other maps.

I'm taking the family to see it this weekend. As far as it lighting a fire under the parties at war over the F13 franchise, we'll see.

I hope it does stupidly well and lights that fire right under their asses. Lol, I don’t care if greed is the thing that gets them back to work, dreams of dollar signs dancing in their heads. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope they at least release everything that's been finished. It's a shame the map isn't done, I'm SO sick of campsites. So sick of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FinalBoy said:

I do hope they at least release everything that's been finished. It's a shame the map isn't done, I'm SO sick of campsites. So sick of them.

And poor Victoria stuck on that outfit for the rest of eternity. 

...The nightmare. 

giphy.webp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barbara Ann said:

And poor Victoria stuck on that outfit for the rest of eternity. 

...The nightmare. 

giphy.webp

Ugh, I know..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Barbara Ann said:

And poor Victoria stuck on that outfit for the rest of eternity. 

...The nightmare. 

giphy.webp

At least Victoria is actually in the game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I hope it does stupidly well and lights that fire right under their asses. Lol, I don’t care if greed is the thing that gets them back to work, dreams of dollar signs dancing in their heads. 

I have faith that the movie will do well. If the powers that be are as wise as fans, they'll see the success of that film, and be reinvigorated with passion for this franchise we all love. Here's to the future everyone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×