wes

FAQ - Content, Legal Status and The Future of The Game

1 hour ago, Slasher_Clone said:

I’d like one more answer if you wouldn’t mind @wes...

Are you hoping with us, let me clarify, are you hoping to find away to carry on with development of Friday, because honestly knowing you want to continue, is the only way the fan and community can continue to wait and feel mollified about the way we have been treated in the past? 

I’m willing to wait but this announcement doesn’t actually matter if you cannot answer my question. It can be easily turned against you by the trolls who frequent this place, let us know, thanks for reading. 

The answer to your question is in the original post.

2 hours ago, wes said:

Gun wants to release content

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Wes 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed and my machete sharpened new content can resume. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wes said:

The decision was made for us to stop making content due to the sensitivity of the legal process. Gun does not own rights to Friday the 13th: The Game. We continue to work with our partners at Horror, Inc. as more information unfolds. Gun wants to release content, as do our partners at Horror. Until more clarity is provided, we can not add new content.  

Q: Why won’t you (Gun Media) settle with/pay Victor Miller to create content?

A: Gun is not a part of the legal issues surrounding the license. It is not our call to “settle” or “pay” anyone as it relates to the legal issues. Our partners at Horror, Inc have reached out a few times in an effort to settle with Mr. Miller. However, we were informed that this communication was ignored. We hope that all parties can come together in the future, so we can add some new content, but it’s not likely, nor should it be expected. 

These two answers clarify quite a bit concerning the whole "new content dilemma"... I think a few people that have already posted in this thread either skipped over this part, or did not understand the implications... Either way, thank you for clearing some of this up. I can only imagine the horrors of having to deal with the lawyers to post this much information... I am not a fan of lawyers.
    Hopefully Mr. Miller answers his phone at some point and actually talks to the good people at Horror Inc. If its true that he doesn't have a problem with the game (and the rest of the franchise) moving forward... then he needs to back up his claim by actually talking to Horror Inc... and not people like "Sleeved Biker." That is... IF he actually did send this guy an e-mail in the first place.... The fans need to mind their own business here and let these people move forward on their own. Hopefully, there is not a repeat of the last fiasco.
    I will hold out hope for new content... but I don't keep my hopes up that high, there is less disappointment that way when things don't work out... But new kill packs (and any other new DLCs that are possible) would be welcomed by a great many players if they ever see the light of day. It seems like such a waste of time and money if you can never release the things that were at least close to being complete.
    Best of luck moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overall I take this as a positive post. It's moved from nothing ever to being in th grey again. Hopefully Horror Inc will deside against an appeal and can reach a settlement. 

I for one, do not even want Uber nor Grendal.  For me, F13 died after part 6.  So the thing that would complete the game for me would be the part 6 map.  

• Like 3

Hello all.
Let's quickly finish the issue with the license. Here are not only fans of the game, but also fans of the original movie :) 

51 minutes ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

I for one, do not even want Uber nor Grendal.  For me, F13 died after part 6.  So the thing that would complete the game for me would be the part 6 map.  

It's funny, I was kind of sad we couldn't Grendel, but at the same time, the more I think about it, I'm kind of glad. Chances are, Tommy would've still been the hero showing up on the map and it just wouldn't feel right.

I kind of want either an SS Lazarus or Manhattan Part 8 type of map more than anything. Plus a few other memorable movie characters that can fill some tropes.

4 hours ago, K3ys3r S0z3 said:

But nothing in that email is a green light for content or even anything close to that. I swear him and slash n cast are the worse content creators based in this game. 

Uh, what exactly have we said to make us "the worst", if you don't mind me asking? We have always said that anything Victor says in an email doesn't mean they can move forward. We share the same thoughts here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Liquid Swordsman

There's still a faint glimmer of hope for Reggie

Glee1.gif

@wes So, did you say no new content ever back in June because you didn't know Black Tower Studios would take over or because Horror Inc told you to say that?

@Nic | Slash 'N Cast I didnt know you guys had a account here. 

Well I spoke to Tom Savini at a local horror convention recently and he seems to think Sean/Horror inc. are going to appeal the decision and not settle. I hope he is wrong but that is his gut feeling. He thinks Sean should work something out as well and not drag this out any longer. We shall have to wait and see. I wouldn't get any false hopes up . I'd like to know how much of an effort is  really being made by Horror Inc. to reach out to Victor.

42 minutes ago, Nic | Slash 'N Cast said:

Of course, always lurking, seeing some of the dope discussions that have gone on, and hang out in the horror discussions.

You should comment more, hard convince them we’re not a toxic trash fire, when the YouTuber’s among us appear to avoid the place like the plague. 

Also you could discuss the best ideas on your channel for improving the game if new content is ever allowed, saving Crystal Lake is going to require people to believe its worth saving, you have a platform that most of us don’t. 

Keep making content, and thanks for sticking your head in here and not making me have to write this on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, Nic | Slash 'N Cast said:

Uh, what exactly have we said to make us "the worst", if you don't mind me asking? We have always said that anything Victor says in an email doesn't mean they can move forward. We share the same thoughts here.

I'm guessing the whole #fuckvictormiller slash n cast is pinned for starting. 

• Like 1

For the love of fucks sake, Gun. The second the lawsuit comes to light its "even if the lawsuit is settled tomorrow we are not creating further content" now months later with the whole situation still in limbo it's "Gun wants to create new content". Seems to me that they are still turning their backs on the game but have switched their stance to just jerking us off and telling us what we want to hear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Whitebabyjoker said:

I'm guessing the whole #fuckvictormiller slash n cast is pinned for starting. 

Fair. We did apologize, acknowledge our misinformation/mistake, on Twitter and in a video in June, and since then, we make sure we have all the information out there before making rash/harsh statements. I hope that people see all that now, and don't base their opinion of us based on one Tweet created out of anger, sadness, and passion.

• Like 2

@wes

How about, “Why did you guys choose to waste three months on the engine “upgrade” when you knew complications from the lawsuit were inevitably going to prevent you from getting the new content out the door?”

Seeing as the engine “upgrade” could most likely have been done AFTER the complications from the lawsuit took effect, your decision seems quite silly and/or an intentional “fuck you, thanks for the money.”

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, TestedTwice said:

@wes

How about, “Why did you guys choose to waste three months on the engine “upgrade” when you knew complications from the lawsuit were inevitably going to prevent you from getting the new content out the door?”

Seeing as the engine “upgrade” could most likely have been done AFTER the complications from the lawsuit took effect, your decision seems quite silly and/or an intentional “fuck you, thanks for the money.”

If I remember correctly, the game community wanted dedicated servers, but we didn't know at the time there was a deadline for content to be put in the game. They didn't tell us. 

We only got a hint with that response to Reggie thread back in April.

The OP confirms that there will be no more maps added to the game even if they can add content again. Since they don't want to pick up where they left off with the Grendel map, they wouldn't start working on a new map if they don't want to finish a map that has already been started. So new maps are definitely out of the question and never will be coming. But there still might be a chance for the leaked kill packs and clothing packs to be in the game at some point. That is all I would expect for new content be in the game if they could resume content again. I am not having high hopes for new content but I guess anything can be possible. It all depends on what Sean and Victor decide to do. It could take months for them to come to an agreement or if Sean/Horor inc. decide to appeal, then that pretty much means that content will never come to the game again. I guess we have to wait and see what happens. 

Thanks @wes, @ShiftySamurai and the rest.  I know you guys take a lot of flak over this situation but as I have said many times before, this is the game I have played more and enjoyed more than any other in the past year/year and a half, and I sincerely hope for more content to be able to be released.  Glad to hear the stance has been clarified and softened a bit, and that the desire to make more content is still there from you guys.  Hopefully we at least get another clothing pack or two and the kill packs for the rest of the Jason weapons that don't have them yet.  The game would feel more "complete" with those.

My friends and I still have fun queuing up on weekends either way, and that's what really counts.

13 minutes ago, Adammakesbeats said:

Hey, Reggie is good people!

Always hated his character. Of course I don't like children, so that probably is part of it. In the highly unlikely event we ever get a new counselor (even more unlikely to be based on a character from the movies) there is a huge list of characters that should be in before Reggie. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigJay said:

The OP confirms that there will be no more maps added to the game even if they can add content again. Since they don't want to pick up where they left off with the Grendel map, they wouldn't start working on a new map if they don't want to finish a map that has already been started. So new maps are definitely out of the question and never will be coming.

That's not exactly what was said.  Let's face it, the Grendel is a huge undertaking.  It's totally different than other maps in the game.  It doesn't have any assets that can be re-used, it would need all new art and design work.  It probably doesn't even have the same mechanics.  You wouldn't be going after the sweater in a shack to kill Jason there, for example.  And you aren't hiding in a closet or under a bed.  So it's more than a map, it's a whole series of changes and additions.

Whereas adding a map would be simpler.  Sure, there are some key buildings you'd have to include from whichever film they draw from (like the main building at Pinehurst or the two iconic houses on the Jarvis map), but the interiors would be primarily assets they already have.  I mean look at the existing maps, the cabins are pretty universally similar because they reuse the same chairs, tables, desks, lamps, etc.  So a different camp map with a different layout would be a lot less work than the Grendel.

Not to mention, they could do Jarvis House Small and Pinehurst Small if they wanted to be boring about it.  At least it would be something and bring those into parity with the other maps.

Personally, I'd like to see the kills and clothing packs (like the pajama pack and maybe some alternate outfits for Mitch/Victoria/Fox/Shelly) first, but I'm sure new maps would be doable if general content additions resume.

Here is the response from the steam community.

Interesting response. I really hope you guys do add content. In fact, where is my response for adding closed captioning to single player challenges for the deaf community? I feel discriminated here. I even sent an email and clearly, they can easily be sued :D Please add it! PLEASE!!

Walker iconGames.png 9 hours ago 
notification_icon_flag_dark.png?v=1forum_topicicon_reply.png?v=1
"Our partners at Horror, Inc have reached out a few times in an effort to settle with Mr. Miller. However, we were informed that this communication was ignored. We hope that all parties can come together in the future, so we can add some new content, but it’s not likely, nor should it be expected. "

This is a lie. They didnt reached out to him and Miller made it clear that he has no intention in hurting this game. 
The only reason that you can think of, why this game gets no new content is that Horro inc. wants to hurt Millers by not releasing new content which would lead to profit. A part of this profit they had to give to Millers. Thats it. 
The whole lawsuit is just because Horror inc didnt want to gave Miller percentage for his work, creating the first film.
Last edited by Walker; 9 hours ago
1b8a1b4d582ce8b7a70b7658952e9f7fdda811cf.jpg
Bo & Luke iconGames.png 6 hours ago 
That is the current conspiracy theory and it makes sense.They aren't allowing new content because they would probably have to give Victor a cut of any money made from said content.
1cc4238314afaf5934fc47ff919cb41224e4f041.jpg
Absinthe iconGames.png 1 hour ago 
Victor got nothing from the franchise he created other than a small amount for the first movie.
He had no claim to royalties from any movie made after the first.
He deserves his piece of the pie, and if Horror Inc doesn't want to give it to him then this game can die.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments

Per page: 15 30 50

42b07d22ad53aa4bde10076095c5de7f81bd2296.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1