wes

FAQ - Content, Legal Status and The Future of The Game

Hey Campers,

Long time no see, I hope you're well. Been a crazy few months, huh? I know there's a lot of questions you all have about the game, future content, legal, etc, etc. We rounded up the most frequently asked questions from the community and worked with the license holders to answer them. Everything we put out or say publicly (including this very forum post) must be approved by the license holders. Some of you will have more questions after reading this below, however, we are not currently able to answer them. Please do not think this is me, or anyone from Gun ignoring you. Please understand the sensitivity and seriousness that the entire F13 IP is currently tangled up in. I spent the last few weeks with legal and the license holders getting these answers. When we know more and can share it, we will.

Q: Does this mean you (Gun Media) can create new DLC now?

A: We cannot currently add new DLC or Content to the game and it is unclear if this can ever happen. We can only perform maintenance, balance, QoL fixes and bug fixes.

Q: Why won’t/when will Gun Media add Uber Jason/Grendel/Clothing DLC?

A: The entire license is currently under a legal microscope. We wish this was a more clear-cut, black and white scenario, but it is not. There is a lot of gray. We hope that in the near future more legal clarity will occur, but this is not Gun’s call. As mentioned previously, at this time we can not add any new content, regardless of where the content falls within the F13 canon (Uber Jason for example). 

While Uber Jason appeared to be close to being finished, there was still remaining work that needs to be completed in order to finish him. When we got word to stop, we stopped. There were clothing packs and kill packs that were also nearly complete. However, the Grendel map still had months of work to go. When this content was leaked, we were under 50% complete. It is not likely that Grendel will ever see the light of day.

Q: Why did you (Gun Media) decide to stop making content?

A: The decision was made for us to stop making content due to the sensitivity of the legal process. Gun does not own rights to Friday the 13th: The Game. We continue to work with our partners at Horror, Inc. as more information unfolds. Gun wants to release content, as do our partners at Horror. Until more clarity is provided, we can not add new content.  

Q: Why won’t you (Gun Media) settle with/pay Victor Miller to create content?

A: Gun is not a part of the legal issues surrounding the license. It is not our call to “settle” or “pay” anyone as it relates to the legal issues. Our partners at Horror, Inc have reached out a few times in an effort to settle with Mr. Miller. However, we were informed that this communication was ignored. We hope that all parties can come together in the future, so we can add some new content, but it’s not likely, nor should it be expected. 

Q: Why won’t Horror Inc. settle with Miller so you can create content?

A: As mentioned previously, this has been attempted in the past with no progress. Our partners at Horror, Inc will continue to reach out to Mr. Miller, but until communication lines are opened up, there is very little we, or our partners can do at this time. 

-Wes Keltner

• Like 8
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 4

So if you were given the permission to release content by the rights holders you wouldn't even think about finishing the Grendel map?

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, wes said:

A: The decision was made for us to stop making content due to the sensitivity of the legal process. Gun does not own rights to Friday the 13th: The Game. We continue to work with our partners at Horror, Inc. as more information unfolds. Gun wants to release content, as do our partners at Horror. Until more clarity is provided, we can not add new content.  

Like I said New content is open for the future I have so much hope now! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

18 minutes ago, wes said:

A: We cannot currently add new DLC or Content to the game and it is unclear if this can ever happen.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

when did they ever say that? lol

Thanks for the update, it's appreciated. I guess now you can start on that Michael Myers Halloween game everyone wants. Hopefully no lawsuits come from that franchise ?

Its nice to see come "clarity" here. Much appreciated Wes. I'm still playing a few times a week, thank you for all that youve done and all the scrutiny youve had to endure as the figure head and big boss. 

Hmm ok well this is really different then what was originally said. The no new content will be added ever regardless of the legal outcome was really depressing and the cause for alot of the hate. This makes me think there is still a chance for future content but who knows when.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bran said:

when did they ever say that? lol

4 minutes ago, BFizzle said:

Look at the statement....All they need is Horror Inc "Ok" and boom that's it...hence why I am stating there is hope for future content.

9 minutes ago, BigJay said:

So if you were given the permission to release content by the rights holders you wouldn't even think about finishing the Grendel map?

I think months would be an issue ya know?

• Like 1

Hindsight being what it is.

You guys should've stuck it out with Summer Camp. You may have made money off launch and the name itself, but with the name being in such limbo going in. You make yourselves easy targets even if the lawsuit literally has nothing to do with you. Especially with the quality of the game always being in limbo. That part is on you guys, you can't blame the lawsuit for that one.

I doubt Illfonic would've been able to deliver a fully functioning Grendel out of the gate, given it probably was going to have completely new mechanics like Jason's death or defeat, the escapes, etc. Who knows if the new team would've either.

If you are one of those people who still hold out hope. If anything, perhaps you'll get your precious Uber Jason and a couple kill/clothing packs next year is my best guess, if ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Hindsight being what it is.

You guys should've stuck it out with Summer Camp. You may have made money off launch and the name itself, but with the name being in such limbo going in. You make yourselves easy targets even if the lawsuit literally has nothing to do with you. Especially with the quality of the game always being in limbo. That part is on you guys, you can't blame the lawsuit for that one.

I doubt Illfonic would've been able to deliver a fully functioning Grendel out of the gate, given it probably was going to have completely new mechanics like Jason's death or defeat, the escapes, etc. Who knows if the new team would've either.

If you are one of those people who still hold out hope. If anything, perhaps you'll get your precious Uber Jason and a couple kill/clothing packs next year is my best guess, if ever.

Nah man

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam Savage Cash said:

Such a cop out

How so? Horror Inc are the rights holders. Simply put.. whether anyone likes it or not.. it's up to them. claim what you want.. the reality is Gun Media has to wait until the rights holder gives final say.

• Like 1

Just now, Christopher Newman said:

How so? Horror Inc are the rights holders. Simply put.. whether anyone likes it or not.. it's up to them. claim what you want.. the reality is Gun Media has to wait until the rights holder gives final say.

Facts bro and where you been?

35 minutes ago, wes said:

Hey Campers,

Long time no see, I hope you're well. Been a crazy few months, huh? I know there's a lot of questions you all have about the game, future content, legal, etc, etc. We rounded up the most frequently asked questions from the community and worked with the license holders to answer them. Everything we put out or say publicly (including this very forum post) must be approved by the license holders. Some of you will have more questions after reading this below, however, we are not currently able to answer them. Please do not think this is me, or anyone from Gun ignoring you. Please understand the sensitivity and seriousness that the entire F13 IP is currently tangled up in. I spent the last few weeks with legal and the license holders getting these answers. When we know more and can share it, we will.

A: We cannot currently add new DLC or Content to the game and it is unclear if this can ever happen. We can only perform maintenance, balance, QoL fixes and bug fixes.

Q: Why won’t/when will Gun Media add Uber Jason/Grendel/Clothing DLC?

A: The entire license is currently under a legal microscope. We wish this was a more clear-cut, black and white scenario, but it is not. There is a lot of gray. We hope that in the near future more legal clarity will occur, but this is not Gun’s call. As mentioned previously, at this time we can not add any new content, regardless of where the content falls within the F13 canon (Uber Jason for example). 

While Uber Jason appeared to be close to being finished, there was still remaining work that needs to be completed in order to finish him. When we got word to stop, we stopped. There were clothing packs and kill packs that were also nearly complete. However, the Grendel map still had months of work to go. When this content was leaked, we were under 50% complete. It is not likely that Grendel will ever see the light of day.

Q: Why won’t you (Gun Media) settle with/pay Victor Miller to create content?

A: Gun is not a part of the legal issues surrounding the license. It is not our call to “settle” or “pay” anyone as it relates to the legal issues. Our partners at Horror, Inc have reached out a few times in an effort to settle with Mr. Miller. However, we were informed that this communication was ignored. We hope that all parties can come together in the future, so we can add some new content, but it’s not likely, nor should it be expected. 

Q: Why won’t Horror Inc. settle with Miller so you can create content?

A: As mentioned previously, this has been attempted in the past with no progress. Our partners at Horror, Inc will continue to reach out to Mr. Miller, but until communication lines are opened up, there is very little we, or our partners can do at this time. 

-Wes Keltner

Well victor miller has already said you can create more content if u want... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thrilmang said:

Well, victor miller has already said you can create more content if u want... 

Still would need Horror Inc. Approval for the continuation of DLC.

3 minutes ago, Thrilmang said:

Well victor miller has already said you can create more content if u want... 

That's not how it works.. that has to be an agreement between Victor Miller and Horror Inc... on paper.

43 minutes ago, wes said:

First of all, thanks very much for the update!

Secondly, this comment right here is enough to give people hope for future content. It may be false hope, but it's hope none the less.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification Wes. Hopefully this can be resolved sooner rather than later and new content might be able to happen in the future. I appreciate there are no guarantees. It's certainly better than "no content, ever".

Considering the difficult circumstances I'd say this is positive news people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Now it is just a waiting game. But thank you for the statement Wes.