Sign in to follow this  
ButterMuffin

Way too hard for new players

I’m a new player and I suck at this game so let’s just get this off the bat.

I have played about 8 matches or so.   I had one match as Jason and that sucked.   The rest were as counsellor and that sucked as well.   I’m not even sure where to begin here.

As a counsellor you don’t start with a map so this sucks already for a new player.   You are pretty much running around blind trying to find items for the car or boat etc.  

Let’s say you find the gas can but you don’t have the map, now you spend your time running around with the gas can in your hand trying to find the car or boat without a map and for a new player, this fuckin blows.   There’s no guide or direction.   Not even a flipping compass.

Now, let’s say you have the map, it’s still pretty useless if you have the phone fuse.   I had a map and I had the phone fuse but when I opened the map, guess what, it doesn’t tell me which cabin has the fuse box ugh.   I probably ran around 5 different cabins to find a fuse box and nothing and then Jason killed me.

As counsellor, I probably have opened up about 50+ drawers in these 7 matches.   I got a pocket knife twice, phone fuse once and the map 3 times.   Where the hell are all the car keys and other things.   I found gas twice.   Nothing for the boat and no car keys and phone fuse box.

As playing Jason, it blows but yet the Jason’s I played against killed the majority of the councillors including me.

My first problem with Jason is that I really had a hard time just finding the counsellors.   The map is useless as they don’t show up there.   They don’t highlight at all at any distance.   All I get is a pinging circle in the distance but I have no idea where it’s coming from cause the pinging don’t show up on the map and it doesn’t even tell you the distance so how am I suppose to know where I should morph to.   My other problem with Jason is it just takes way too long to knock down doors like the counsellors are long gone.   My other problem as playing Jason is getting stunned, why is this even a thing?.   I managed to get a kill as Jason but like 6 escaped cause I just had way too much trouble finding them.

For a new player, this game lacks any direction or guidance.   The first couple matches were fun as it was new but then the game started repeating itself every match by I couldn’t find items to escape.   No map for a few matches as I couldn’t find one.   Getting killed every match.  

Also, every match when as a counsellor, I was with a bunch of other new players as we just ran around trying to find items and notta but funny how I play as Jason, everyone as counsellor is a pro as they find the items so fast and easy and escape.  Wonderful.

The idea behind the game is good but it’s poorly executed.   

First off welcome to the forum, glad you found your way here.

Your post has a lot to unpack in it, but most of the answers your looking for aren’t exactly easy to give. There are guides that will help you a lot more then anything I could type out, there are some good ones pinned at the top of general discussion. Here are a couple of links.

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/10596-the-playbook-techniques-and-strategies/

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/7683-tips-for-those-of-you-who-are-having-trouble/

To add just a bit more in the here and now, do you have a mic? If not get one, it is the most advantageous thing you can do. The game is hard at first, but it challenges you too. If you don’t give up, and take the time to read the guides, in a few months you’ll be the one clearing lobbies as Jason and running circles around him. 

I’m not saying ‘get good’ in any kind of derogatory way, I simply want you to realize that most of what you’re having a hard time with will be easy, once you figure out that it’s all got a pattern to it, an ebb and flow that you learn to read. 

P.S. The perk Preparedness allows you to start with a large map. 🗺 

So, let me tell you a little advice. You may want to watch a few guides if you are truly lost when playing as a counselor or Jason. I personally love the feel of being in a horror movie, and are trying to master the art of counselor as Mitch Floyd. I'll explain the concept of fuse box, as you get the fuse, but it won't mark the location as it's purposely supposed to be something you find on your own. For certain maps, it will be in Packanack lodge, or some other huge house. It spawns pretty randomly, always making it a fun challenge. Same with the other things, you need to form a plan. A map is essential, and you should get the Preparedness perk which lets you spawn with one. Items that have been found, and dropped show up on the map as icons, but the game heavily relies on you finding objects, as it should. You aren't doing anything wrong, you're just getting a little salty for not doing anything at all.

20 minutes ago, ButterMuffin said:

Welcome to the forums.

The game may seem tough at first, but the more time you play, the more you learn. Half of the fun of this game is learning where items can spawn. Once you have that knowledge, you'll be better equipped to handle things, both as Jason and as a counselor. Hang in there!

I'm pretty new myself so let me give you some tips. Start with offline mode and go up against bots. Best way to level up in your first couple of days. There are three modes of difficulty. Start on easy and work your way up. Even on hard it doesn't come close to going up against real people but it will give you an idea of the layout and a feel for Jason's core mechanics. Then you need to get some perks with the points you earn.

As for the gas can, if yoou don't know where the car is yet, leave it. Pick it up and put it down and it's location will be visible on the map. The other counsellors are represented on your mini map as white arrows until they're close by, at which point they become circles

As counselors give yourself some time to learn the map , learn where the map spot. If you want to see the map from the beginning there is a perk called preparedness he allow you to start with a map.

Here some tips as counselors.

- Red antenna house mean there is the radio to call Tommy Jarvis.

- Blue cars can carry four players and yellow one two players.

- You can disarm traps with pocket knifes.

- There is only 3-4 spot for the phone to spawn.

As Jason

- Sense allow to survivor that are scared and the one in cabins except when hiding.

- Hold R2 or whatever platform you are to break the doors faster or enter combat stance then smash the door

- Jason can block to reduce stun and damage

Just try hard and you will be better eventually.

@ButterMuffin Offline bots can help you a lot.
   For Jason, it is good for target practice with the throwing knives at the very least. Learning how to do a quick throw with bots is much easier than against real people. First, aim a knife with Jason... focus your eyes on the area of the screen where his crosshairs are and burn that into your memory. When chasing behind any counselor, line them up in the spot where your crosshairs come up and tap and release the button to throw the knife. When you get good at that, it will help a lot... But like anything else in life, it takes practice.
   It is also good for finding the spawn points for Jason's throwing knives... they tend to change from match to match, but not much. Know where your knives are.
   While you are holding a counselor in your grip anywhere on the map, you will see tiny white circles... these are environment kills (some of the best kills in the game). Walk up to these small white circles with someone in your grip and press the prompted button to perform the environment kill... they are much easier to find in offline bots and they are generally in the same spots on each map fairly consistently. If you know where they are, it makes it easier to grab someone closer to them so they cannot break free before you get them to it.
   It is also great for learning the basic mechanics of Jason's abilities and earning XP and CP faster than playing games as a counselor.

You can learn a bit for counselor play with offline bots too. The fuse box for the phone is marked on Jason's map, as are the power boxes that you smash to turn the lights out and raise counselor's fear levels. These spawn in different places each time a map is loaded up as well, but their spawn points are very limited for each map. Knowing the spawn points for these can be a great help to any player... even if you cannot fix things with the counselor you have, you can at least communicate this knowledge to the other members of the team. Communication with the team helps a lot... as long as the people you are communicating with are actually team players.

Combat is the sticky mechanic... offline bots will not help you learn combat much.. if at all. This is one that you have to practice against real people to get good at and this can be frustrating against players with more experience at it. Using combat stance and block can be invaluable, but getting into block has been slowed down a bit and has not yet been reverted back. One thing about block I do not see used often is the fact that counselors can block a knife thrown by Jason with a small cost of stamina. Jason's throwing knives are limited. Combat stance is still very clunky, but it has its uses for Jason and counselors. Striking Jason as a counselor will give you a good portion of stamina back as well... but playing the game in Jason's face is very dangerous.

As to finding repair parts... I have seen many players search a cabin and miss the battery and gas so many times... The propeller for the boat is VERY easy to miss as well, particularly if you have never seen it before.

After you die as a counselor... and IF you have some experienced players still alive in game... cycle through and see what they are up to. I learned a lot early on from spectate mode. Have some popcorn handy. You get a lot more experience if you do not leave the game before it is over... The waiting time can suck, but you will not die early on in every game.

There is also a "How to Play" in the main menu of the game that I found helpful when I bought the game. On youtube there are a great many videos of gameplay, of which I found videos of counselors hiding in plain view to be a big help when playing as Jason. There are quiet a few spots on all the maps where you can hide almost literally in plain view (in cabins at least) and many Jason players will walk right by you, particularly if they killed the power and the lights are off. Jason's sense may show that you are in a house, but not where in the house. I find people using spots like this quite often.

The links that @Slasher_Clone posted above are invaluable to new players as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ButterMuffin said:

I have played about 8 matches or so.   I had one match as Jason and that sucked.   The rest were as counsellor and that sucked as well.   I’m not even sure where to begin here.

As a counsellor you don’t start with a map so this sucks already for a new player.   You are pretty much running around blind trying to find items for the car or boat etc.  

Let’s say you find the gas can but you don’t have the map, now you spend your time running around with the gas can in your hand trying to find the car or boat without a map and for a new player, this fuckin blows.   There’s no guide or direction.   Not even a flipping compass.

Now, let’s say you have the map, it’s still pretty useless if you have the phone fuse.   I had a map and I had the phone fuse but when I opened the map, guess what, it doesn’t tell me which cabin has the fuse box ugh.   I probably ran around 5 different cabins to find a fuse box and nothing and then Jason killed me.

As counsellor, I probably have opened up about 50+ drawers in these 7 matches.   I got a pocket knife twice, phone fuse once and the map 3 times.   Where the hell are all the car keys and other things.   I found gas twice.   Nothing for the boat and no car keys and phone fuse box.

As playing Jason, it blows but yet the Jason’s I played against killed the majority of the councillors including me.

My first problem with Jason is that I really had a hard time just finding the counsellors.   The map is useless as they don’t show up there.   They don’t highlight at all at any distance.   All I get is a pinging circle in the distance but I have no idea where it’s coming from cause the pinging don’t show up on the map and it doesn’t even tell you the distance so how am I suppose to know where I should morph to.   My other problem with Jason is it just takes way too long to knock down doors like the counsellors are long gone.   My other problem as playing Jason is getting stunned, why is this even a thing?.   I managed to get a kill as Jason but like 6 escaped cause I just had way too much trouble finding them.

For a new player, this game lacks any direction or guidance.   The first couple matches were fun as it was new but then the game started repeating itself every match by I couldn’t find items to escape.   No map for a few matches as I couldn’t find one.   Getting killed every match.  

Also, every match when as a counsellor, I was with a bunch of other new players as we just ran around trying to find items and notta but funny how I play as Jason, everyone as counsellor is a pro as they find the items so fast and easy and escape.  Wonderful.

The idea behind the game is good but it’s poorly executed.   

As others have pointed out start by using the offline bots. They're invaluable to you for learning the maps. There is a guide explaining your abilities as Jason but a few tips are make sure you're putting bear traps on objectives, phone box first. Once you have the traps set at the cars and phone you can always just patrol those. Morphing in between each. You'll catch people at them at some point. There are a couple of guides on here in the general discussion section that contain alot of good information. As a Jason player you also need to learn the audio cues for your traps being set off or failed repair attempts. 

From the counselor side there's a bunch to cover but in time you'll pick it up. Among the most important things I can tell you is learning stamina management. If you run yourself out of stamina you're a sitting duck. Another important thing is picking the counselor that's right for your play style. Also see if there are any veteran players in your lobby with a mic, if so ask for help. I spent my time after the game became free this month on PS4 helping new players. I didn't bother killing anyone as Jason,  I spent the round trying to teach the new players stuff. There will be much more information in the guides on here but those are a couple of quick tips.