wes

How Will "Leveling Up" Work in the Beta?

45 posts in this topic

Let’s talk about leveling/unlocks found within the beta. Earning XP, leveling up, spending points and unlocking new content will be in the beta. However, here’s the VERY IMPORTANT part; Leveling/Unlocks in the beta is not indicative of the final game. Let me explain.

First off, we sped this system up so you can earn XP thus unlocking goodies faster in the beta. This is so we can properly test this system. Think about it...Most games take a very long time to unlock content/level up. Sure, at the beginning you level up fast, but then that loop get’s bigger and bigger; aka grinding. The beta is not going to be weeks upon weeks, therefore we are speeding up the rate at which you, the player, will get XP/unlocks.

We need to see that when you do an action in game, like putting a vehicle part on for example, you need to gain XP from that action. We then need to see that XP you just earned appear after the match and ultimately allow you to unlock new content. Granted the beta will be limited in the amount of content you can actually unlock. We don’t want you to unlock everything the game will provide during the beta. We just need to test the system to assure it works. :)

The beta will allow you to level up to 30. Again, this will happen faster than the final game. Also, the order in which you unlock content will change too. But we wanted to get you guys some cool stuff to test out and play with during the beta. The final game will have content unlocks in a different order. We will also be testing what actions you do in game, and how much XP that provides. For example; Picking up a weapon might only provide 5 XP, while putting on a vehicle part might grant 10 XP. Again, this system will change for the final game. But seeing the frequency in which you successfully complete these actions will help us fine-tune this system. We’re also looking for ways that players can “game” this system to their benefit. For example, you can’t pick up a weapon, get 5XP, drop it, and then pick it up again to farm XP. That’s bad, so you can’t do that. But there probably other ways that we haven’t thought of, that players will figure out. Speeding this system up allows us to identify these “short cuts” to leveling up, thus making the final game more balanced and fair to all players.

Finally, please know that not all playable Counselors and Jason models will be included in the beta, or the unlock tree. We need to save some surprises for the final game.

-W

18 people like this

Thanks for that info Wes. I won't have access to Beta because I don't have a laptop capable to run the game but I will be glued to youtube though. LOL! With that being said, I have some Beta keys I can give away if anyone is interested. :)

5 people like this

Free copy* to the first person that finds and reports a game breaking bug!

*I am in no way authorized to give away copies and this is not legally binding in any way.

1 person likes this

We’re also looking for ways that players can “game” this system to their benefit. For example, you can’t pick up a weapon, get 5XP, drop it, and then pick it up again to farm XP. That’s bad..... [/size]

-W[/size]

I pick things up...I put them down...I pick things up...I put them down....

That sounds fantastic. Any don't worry Sooners, I'll provide some videos. Can't wait for the beta!

1 person likes this

That's more than I thought we would get TBH! I didn't think they would show off any leveling unlocks at all.

30 levels available during BETA? I Wonder how many levels of unlocks there are.

Thanks for the info!

When you say « unlock tree » does that mean we will have to make choices between different rewards, or will we eventually be able to unlock everything?

Thank you so much for the post!!

Wes I'm hoping Beta can hold off till Christmas because that's when I'm getting a new Computer and I would hate to miss it! I mean if Santa is real that is?

Wes I'm hoping Beta can hold off till Christmas because that's when I'm getting a new Computer and I would hate to miss it! I mean if Santa is real that is?

You stop talking like that!!!!

Yea just cause you can't play it no one can? I dunno if Santa is real but we found the Grinch :P

Yea just cause you can't play it no one can? I dunno if Santa is real but we found the Grinch :P

Nope if I can't play no one can my rule! :)

1 person likes this

Powell, kidding aside I'll lay money that we actually WONT see it till then. Figure, they have not even announced friends and family beta yet. Give it a week minimum for that, then the closed beta. If they havent even ANNOUNCED friends and family yet, that leaves like NO time for the general closed beta. More and more I think it's the last week of the year.

Some time between Christmas through New Years seems like a smart time to do the beta since more people will be off for holidays and can fully give the beta a go. I'd guess Dec 19th through Jan 2nd or something similar.

Powell, kidding aside I'll lay money that we actually WONT see it till then. Figure, they have not even announced friends and family beta yet. Give it a week minimum for that, then the closed beta. If they havent even ANNOUNCED friends and family yet, that leaves like NO time for the general closed beta. More and more I think it's the last week of the year.

That's what I'm referring to I'm in the first round beta

Okie, well does this mean beta is close now?

I feel the beta needs to hurry up and come out. i dont have a computer that can play it and i figure only about 10-20% of the people that bought the game have a pc that can play it. so the faster the beta comes out mean faster the full game is released.  Their doing a great job but it feels their always changing stuff and that just makes us wait alittle longer. i would prefer they just keep use updated with patches if their going to upgrade things.

I feel the beta needs to hurry up and come out. i dont have a computer that can play it and i figure only about 10-20% of the people that bought the game have a pc that can play it. so the faster the beta comes out mean faster the full game is released.  Their doing a great job but it feels their always changing stuff and that just makes us wait alittle longer. i would prefer they just keep use updated with patches if their going to upgrade things.

We all want the beta. The devs know we all want the beta.

I did a Camp Fire Discussion where we talked about this, and other topics!  I hope you all enjoy!

2 people like this

Thanks for that info Wes. I won't have access to Beta because I don't have a laptop capable to run the game but I will glued to youtube though. LOL! With that being said, I have some Beta keys I can give away if anyone is interested. :)

im interested :( i cant pre order (i just can buy game on steam when this launch, because i don't have a credit card)