BeautyNumber2

Post-Playstation Plus Trends & New Meta

5 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

For the most part though I think the free month was a pretty big success. It added alot of new people. It's been alot of fun playing with that many new people. Getting to watch them discover all the fun this game can be.

Agreed, it was a good move even if the optics make it look desperate. I mean when someone like Larry Zerner is saying there’s no more money to be made, he just doesn’t seem to get how video games work now, the video game industry is still figuring it out so it isn’t entirely his fault but the assumption that a game is dead is wrong, a single dlc can generate new sales of the game. I’m very happy with what we did get but the wasted potential just blows my mind, and the other games that are coming while they have borrowed ideas from these very forums (maybe it was parallel thinking, but I doubt it), don’t seem to get the real potential of this genre. 

Imagine if you could only get to the more complicated or dynamic maps if you’d already beaten a low rank killer in a starting match. Imagine your characters progressing as the story unfolds, with the killers evolving as you ascend to higher levels of play. Each escape just sends you deeper into the mythology, and gives you access to more. 

Maybe I’m wrong but I think a game that rewards people for working together and we’re the trolls can be left in the opening match lobbies would be awesome. The biggest bad thing about Friday is the bored high level trolls, they’ve done it all but if you could only get to maps 3 or higher by working together it would reduce the amount of dicking around as you tried to get to maps that are maybe never seen by normal or casual players unless their doing a private game with friends, and the killer lets you. 

I went a little off topic again, I’ll try to bring it back. I mostly think the new players are alright, yeah they forget to trap objectives and they spend to much time doing the opposite of what people say, but it’s been fun. That’s why we play right. 

9 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Agreed, it was a good move even if the optics make it look desperate. I mean when someone like Larry Zerner is saying there’s no more money to be made, he just doesn’t seem to get how video games work now, the video game industry is still figuring it out so it isn’t entirely his fault but the assumption that a game is dead is wrong, a single dlc can generate new sales of the game. I’m very happy with what we did get but the wasted potential just blows my mind, and the other games that are coming while they have borrowed ideas from these very forums (maybe it was parallel thinking, but I doubt it), don’t seem to get the real potential of this genre.  

Yeah I don't think he understands how much money can be brought in from dlc. Especially when they're all as cheap as $2.99. If even 10% of those new players buy some of the dlc that'll be a huge influx of cash.

1 hour ago, thrawn3054 said:

Yeah I don't think he understands how much money can be brought in from dlc. Especially when they're all as cheap as $2.99. If even 10% of those new players buy some of the dlc that'll be a huge influx of cash.

Yep.

Gun. would have to partner with a big studio to really do it justice but they just did the engine upgrade so it seems almost a waste to try and partner up just to make a sequel. I would much rather a big studio spend the time to finish this game and imagine a shared universe or something for the sequel, it would be the smart marketing move and give them a chance to repair their relationship with the fans. 

Sorry I keep dragging it off topic guys and girls, I just really love this game. 

15 hours ago, Fair Play said:

You can't do much about the players that don't care. As for the ones who don't know how, it's a teachable moment.

The problem is these new players often dip out of lobbies once they're dead, which means even if it's because they don't know what they're doing, you can't offer them any advice anyway. 

4 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

I don’t think that you understand the cost of licensing fees and other assorted overhead costs for things like servers. Friday the 13th hasn’t released much paid DLC and won’t be ever again. Whatever money they have to work with at the moment is going to evaporate a lot sooner than any of us want. 

30 minutes ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

I don’t think that you understand the cost of licensing fees and other assorted overhead costs for things like servers. Friday the 13th hasn’t released much paid DLC and won’t be ever again. Whatever money they have to work with at the moment is going to evaporate a lot sooner than any of us want. 

I understand that. But we don't have the details so we can only speculate on the cost.

33 minutes ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

I don’t think you’re wrong but I do think that if Horror inc. and Gun. want to get the most out of the Friday the 13 property they have options that Halloween (or any of the other franchises) can only dream of. 

The game is the most recognizable peice of Friday that exists anywhere, it has taught the whole of a new generation of fans. It was praised bugs or no bugs, and exists in a position that lets Horror inc. have direct access to a huge section of their fan base. 

Friday doesn’t have to reboot like another franchise would, it can rewrite its history from this point forward and could even use the game to cement the new cannon. I have too much to say and to be honest I’m not sure if anyone cares to read my thoughts but I’m trying to say this...

Imagine if Horror did cut a deal, a new movie is on the table and they want to make Jason King of the slashers once and for all. They have the mythology, and a game that does a good job of assembling it all in one place. The game has even given us a direct understanding of Jason’s powers, as we’ve all played him. The way I see it the game gives them a chance to build a modern story, not the off the cuff stuff that has come before but something that streamlines it, they can cut away most of the confusion and lay it out, a real New Beginning. The game could in that time have a real transformation as they worked out how to bring it forward in time to the present and use it as promotion for the movie and away to make the story accessible. (I would use the game to set the stage for a new movie, indirectly introduce the characters of at least establish a continuous history.)

I dream maybe a little to big, but the way I see it, others have tried cross media promotions and had success. This property is build around keeping a core group of fans that re-excite the general audience every time a new movie comes out. It gives them direct access to the people who would do the most to build excitement for the next Friday to be an event movie. 

With access to the writers of the new scripts imagine how the game could work to their advantage. I seriously have too many ideas I want to write down all at once, so I’m going to wrap this up. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 10:55 AM, Eva Watanabe said:

I'm honestly happy to see the game get new players with all the doom and gloom surrounding the lawsuit. And I main as AJ with Lightfoot 15, Restful and Preparedness so I effectively lone wolf pretty much all of my matches unless there's another competent stealthy player with a mic. But that strategy becomes much harder when newbies: 1) Hold on to items and/or don't mark them on the map; 2) Insist on repairing with poor repair characters; 3) Ignore requests to make the phone call when they're in the phone house as you're fixing the box (I don't need help per se but it's much more likely Jason will check the house out with a loud character around); 4) Follow you around asking you questions (seriously?); 5) Escape or die quickly as Tommy. All in all though I'd say my survival rate has actually increased with the newbies because Jason has been even worse lately especially when it comes to using traps (I've been reminding rooms to trap the fuse box after matches just to get a bigger challenge). I'm usually the one doing all the work but I don't mind that so long as I can find the freaking items. And yeah, I've worked with a few new players willing to learn and that's definitely a good feeling.

It's really the 150 trolls that ruin things. They couldn't do as much damage when the rooms were full of experienced players but when no-one else is working on objectives the trolls have much better odds at destroying a match by getting to items before me and either holding on to them or using a car (which I usually fixed) to run the rest of us over. I prepare for the worst when I see a 150 in a room full of newbies now. And I just bail when I see more than one since in my experience that often means they're teamers.

I enjoy the fresh blood as well. New players will keep this game going a lot longer. As far as trolls, they are what they are. I agree that helping another decent player in a lobby isn't always a bad thing.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:15 PM, thrawn3054 said:

It has been quite the mixed bag. You've had the newbies who are nice and willing to learn. And the ones who are already teaming with their Jason friend.

For the most part though I think the free month was a pretty big success. It added alot of new people. It's been alot of fun playing with that many new people. Getting to watch them discover all the fun this game can be.

The upsurge of new players has really made the game fun again.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:37 PM, SirMang said:

The problem is these new players often dip out of lobbies once they're dead, which means even if it's because they don't know what they're doing, you can't offer them any advice anyway. 

Players leaving once they are dead will always be a thing. I give advice to those that stick around.,In the long run, new players will get better, sooner or later.

Just my .02 as far as bolting/not-bolting doors:

If you spawn at an objective like the phone house, or at the cabin directly by one of the cars, I suggest you do NOT bolt the door right away (or open windows). The reason behind this is simple: assuming Jason teleports directly to wherever it is you are, the only indication he will have that someone is inside is either sound rings, the Lock icon on the door, or open windows. He won't have Sense until nearly a full minute into the round, and I have been saved countless times after he's morphed right on top of me by ducking into a hiding spot before his Sense comes online. After it does, there's really no point to not bolting them.

8 minutes ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

If you spawn at an objective like the phone house, or at the cabin directly by one of the cars, I suggest you do NOT bolt the door right away (or open windows). The reason behind this is simple: assuming Jason teleports directly to wherever it is you are, the only indication he will have that someone is inside is either sound rings, the Lock icon on the door, or open windows. He won't have Sense until nearly a full minute into the round, and I have been saved countless times after he's morphed right on top of me by ducking into a hiding spot before his Sense comes online. After it does, there's really no point to not bolting them.

This is the perfect time to bolt the door and open the windows.  A Jason worth his salt is going to break the windows and a door anyway while waiting for his next morph to become available.  You now might draw his attention.  Jason at the beginning of a match is basically powerless to kill an experienced counselor,  And if you can draw his ire, even for 2 minutes before he gives up, that's 2 minutes where someone can be getting a boat part to the boat and in or a car part to the car and in.   You're not saving yourself if you have any experience, and frankly you're being detrimental to the overall team, in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, SirMang said:

This is the perfect time to bolt the door and open the windows.  A Jason worth his salt is going to break the windows and a door anyway while waiting for his next morph to become available.  You now might draw his attention.  Jason at the beginning of a match is basically powerless to kill an experienced counselor,  And if you can draw his ire, even for 2 minutes before he gives up, that's 2 minutes where someone can be getting a boat part to the boat and in or a car part to the car and in.   You're not saving yourself if you have any experience, and frankly you're being detrimental to the overall team, in my opinion.  

Yes, Jason's weak when the round starts, but that doesn't stop him from getting early kills. Even without Sense, Jason knows that a barricaded door most likely means someone is inside. if it's one of those Jasons that tunnel the first counselor they come across, you might have a problem not getting killed, especially if wherever you spawn has a lack of weapons or items. 

5 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

But a lot of times the characters will give you away by screaming. 

1 hour ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

But a lot of times the characters will give you away by screaming.

They only scream if they "see" Jason. If I spawn in the phone house and I think Jason is going to morph in I'll hide in a closet or under a bed. After he sets his trap and morphs away I'll run out and tank his trap while his morph is recharging and then either get back in my hiding spot or run away. If I ran thick skin and medic I could tank 2 of them and heal myself, wasting about half of most Jasons traps, and pretty much guaranteeing an escape to the police as long as the counselor that's putting the fuse in doesn't mess up the mini game.

7 hours ago, Somethin Cool said:

They only scream if they "see" Jason. If I spawn in the phone house and I think Jason is going to morph in I'll hide in a closet or under a bed. After he sets his trap and morphs away I'll run out and tank his trap while his morph is recharging and then either get back in my hiding spot or run away. If I ran thick skin and medic I could tank 2 of them and heal myself, wasting about half of most Jasons traps, and pretty much guaranteeing an escape to the police as long as the counselor that's putting the fuse in doesn't mess up the mini game.

It may guarantee the call goes through, but it doesn't guarantee an escape. There's also the chance that Jason will anticipate what you're trying to do and begin very frequently coming back to the fuse-box.