BeautyNumber2

Post-Playstation Plus Trends & New Meta

5 hours ago, Somethin Cool said:

Apparently you haven't. Honestly I'd say 3-5 seconds per door. Then like I already said if you're going to fortify a cabin, do it right and open all the windows for other counselors, and trap that door for another bonus of keeping Jason occupied for another 10 seconds (apparently that's life changing for some people) and yet another opportunity to dance (if that's your thing). So again, like I already said, if you do that to 3 cabins now you're wasting minutes when Jason is weakest. And yet again, like I already said, then there's the chance that nobody will use those fortified cabins. So then you have completely wasted your time and your fellow counselors time by doing so, when you could have been running and/or installing parts again while Jason is weakest. When rage mode kicks in those doors might as well be made of paper, so locked or unlocked doesn't really matter at that point. That leaves mid game assuming you haven't escaped yet. By this time you should be outside running down that last part anyway or waiting in you're now fortified cabin, for the police to arrive. 

For a new point let's say you're in a long cabin and Jason breaks down the front door. Now you climb out the window (wasting precious seconds stuck in the window animation) and Jason shifts back out the cabin door and grabs you thus ending your counselors life. What you could have done, had you not been so terrified of opening a door, is unlock the back door while Jason's breaking down the front door, open said door, and run out to the next cabin, all the while not wasting precious time stuck in a window animation. And since you didn't waste time in the window animation, you would have lengthend the gap between yourself and Jason. 

I don’t know why I’m bothering even answering, but who says that you have to bother opening all of the windows and barricading all of the doors to every cabin at the beginning of the round? Nobody is saying that you have to make it harder for him to get it in, just don’t make it any easier. But barricade the one you use or any one you happen to run by and leave open the window you exit from. If I have to come back I always remember which window I left open (it’s usually the one on the side closest to the next cabin over). Once I’m back inside I have plenty of time to do all of the other things you insist that I had to do at the beginning of the game “if I wanted to do it right”. You’re obsessed with the possibility of getting grabbed out of a window animation but that thing rarely happens to me anymore. He has to be able to fake me out and only the really experienced ones are capable of doing that to me now. 

1 hour ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

windows and barricading all of the doors to every cabin at the beginning of the round? Nobody is saying that you have to make it harder for him to get it in, just don’t make it any easier. 

Already answered this question. More than once.

. If I have to come back I always remember which window I left open (it’s usually the one on the side closest to the next cabin over). 

Does everyone else know which window you left open? The biggest complaint to leaving the door open was how it screws over other players. But yet I haven't heard one of you yet that fortifies a cabin right. Doesn't this also run the risk of screwing over other players?

You’re obsessed with the possibility of getting grabbed out of a window animation but that thing rarely happens to me anymore. 

I'm obsessed with nothing. I'm simply pointing out all the flaws in your play style like you are pointing them out with mine.

but that thing rarely happens to me anymore.

About as often as I get killed while closing a door I'm sure. And yet still it can happen. Either way.

Does anyone have anything new to add? 

5 minutes ago, Somethin Cool said:

Already answered this question. More than once.

Does everyone else know which window you left open? The biggest complaint to leaving the door open was how it screws over other players. But yet I haven't heard one of you yet that fortifies a cabin right. Doesn't this also run the risk of screwing over other players?

I'm obsessed with nothing. I'm simply pointing out all the flaws in your play style like you are pointing them out with mine.

About as often as I get killed while closing a door I'm sure. And yet still it can happen. Either way.

Does anyone have anything new to add? 

So basically your whole argument boils down to either worry about the other players or screw them all. Sorry, but I don’t see things in such black and white terms. A partially fortified cabin will always be preferable to one that isn’t fortified at all, and as far as your continued obsession with the windows goes, AGAIN, for the last time that is NOT an access point for Jason. Most counselors worth their salt will likely find a spray at any one of their tried and true spawn points on all of the maps and be riding the medic perk to negate any broken windows they have to jump through as a last resort. 

40 minutes ago, Somethin Cool said:

Final post on this because it's like talking to a brick wall. 

Barricading the door, but not trapping it does not screw over other players.  Barricading the door gives the other player time to rest for a few seconds to build up stamina while Jason needs to hack it down.  Which then gives them time to get to another window in the cabin, open it, and run to the next cabin if they're not one who likes to go toe to toe with Jason as he enters the door.  

If they don't pick the right window to go to and have to dive through, one broken window won't hobble them anyway.  And crashing through a window breaking it is a far better fate than going to your unprotected door, opening it, going in, closing it and then barricading it themselves.  As a Jason who has shift ready can shift into the cabin while this process is all happening. 

Then there is always the times where you're behind the single door cabins and Jason spots you, you then go through a back window to get in the cabin.  Jason knows to go to the front door because that's his only access point.  He gets there and thanks to players like you, it's not locked and he walks right in.

You've also likely completely negated the counselor buying those extra seconds they may need for stamina because if Jason hits the door once before it's fully barricaded, it negates the full amount of hits the door can take before it breaks.  Destruction Jason takes 3 hits to break a barricaded door, 2 if it never was barricaded and 2 yet again if the first hit is against an unbarricaded door that is then barricaded for the 2nd.  

But you keep playing your style where you only care about you.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

Sorry, but I don’t see things in such black and white terms. A partially fortified cabin will always be preferable to one that isn’t fortified at all,

Says who? If they had to open the window first and got killed they probably won't agree with you. If they crashed through the window and got knifed coming out of the animation and didn't have a med spray, they probably won't agree with you.

18 minutes ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

AGAIN, for the last time that is NOT an access point for Jason

Again who cares. We're talking about going to and from a cabin. You using a window me using a door.  Until you get halfway through the window animation and until I'm halfway through a door to close it we are both still capable of being killed. Difference is I run the risk of taking a slash locking the door and you run the risk of getting hit with a knife. But also once the door closes Im no longer at risk for getting hit with a knife. 

The whole Jason shifting past me thing honestly rarely happens and it's even rarer to have one kill me just after he shifts passed me. In fact the last one that tried it ended up getting the door closed in his face as I was on my way back out of the cabin. Argue all you want but I'm going by my experience using this play style. Yes it's possible and very rarely but still every once in awhile, I die when it happens. But again I don't care.  

You will not survive every match no matter what. Nothing you do is going to change that.

22 minutes ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

Most counselors worth their salt will likely find a spray at any one of their tried and true spawn points on all of the maps and be riding the medic perk to negate any broken windows they have to jump through

Well now we're assuming a lot aren't we? K well then let's assume I have a med spray and a pocket knife since I got there first. Now who cares if they get shift grabbed no matter what they're play style? 

• Sad 1

@SirMang you're no better than I am unless you're opening up every window for those other players you say you care about. But nice try. Nobody says they're going to die if they have to crash through a window. But nobody says they're going to die if they jump in the window and have to shut a door and lock it either.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Somethin Cool said:

Again who cares. We're talking about going to and from a cabin. 

:lol:  No. Wrong. WRONG! :lol:

This argument is, was, and always will be strictly about whether or not it is smart or stupid to leave doors open. That you keep trying to distract us and keep focusing upon the windows only shows that you can not debate the merits of leaving the door open honestly. You’re not at all different than Trump bringing up Clinton emails when he gets called out on anything. Pointing fingers elsewhere is a poor defense. :lol:

If you want to have a separate discussion about the merits of opening or closing windows then fine. I don’t think that you will find much of a debate about it though because I think everybody is on the same page that open windows are good. 

• Thanks 1

This argument is, was, and always will be strictly about whether or not it is smart or stupid to leave doors open. That you keep trying to distract us and keep focusing upon the windows only shows that you can not debate the merits of leaving the door open honestly. You’re not at all different than Trump bringing up Clinton emails when he gets called out on anything. Pointing fingers elsewhere is a poor defense. :lol:

You're bringing politics into this and I'm off topic with a poor defense? 

If you want to have a separate discussion about the merits of opening or closing windows then fine. I don’t think that you will find much of a debate about it though because I think everybody is on the same page that open windows are good.

Then open them all like you should especially if you're all about saving every single counselor like you all say you are. You can't half ass your play style and then complain that I left a door open when I left the cabin.

For the last time if you all assume the door will be unlocked or open then you aren't going to be caught off guard that often (it could happen but despite what the keyboard Jason's say it doesn't happen any more often than getting caught going out a window) so there really won't be anything to complain about. I don't complain when I see a cabin with closed windows or an unused bear trap. Why do you people complain when you see an open door?

Expect the unexpected and you'll live longer. After all that's how you play when you're Jason right?

open windows are good. 

Truer words were never spoken. Open them all...

For what it is worth, I have never once complained in this or any other thread about people leaving doors open. I have merely been explaining why, from my POV, strategically speaking a closed door is better than an open one. Believe it or not you can actually have a discussion about this topic without all of the emotional theatrics about “saving councelors” and such bullshit. 

• Like 1

I thought according to the manual barricading a cabin's doors helped manage your counselor's fear level? 

Anyways, I always set all the traps I come across (I'm practically OCD about it) so barricading the door is one of the few ways to keep other counselors from accidentally tripping them, and if Jason is in rage mode he will be vulnerable to a free stun should he break it down, which really isn't an option if the door is left open. For me it simply makes more sense to close and barricade these things. (And yes, I do open all the nearby windows.) I also started running thick skin and hypochondriac so I can still window hop regularly without suffering too much damage.

44 minutes ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

For what it is worth, I have never once complained in this or any other thread about people leaving doors open. I have merely been explaining why, from my POV, strategically speaking a closed door is better than an open one. Believe it or not you can actually have a discussion about this topic without all of the  theatrics about “saving councelors” and such bullshit. 

I was actually more or less referring to randoms in game complaining about finding open doors when Jason's not even around. I would totally get their argument and slightly understand their frustration if they were one of the poor souls getting picked off climbing through a window next to an open door or maybe more so if they get shift grabbed while closing a door that I left open. But usually they find one open door and mic up "with quit leaving the damn doors open. I don't know why anyone would do that." If you're spending so much time reading and replying to any comments I make, I'm assuming you are one of those people.

Strategically speaking a locked door hasn't ever hurt anyone. That is unless it's a one hitter with a window in which case I've been hurt by stumbling across plenty of them at the wrong time.

Another thing that hasn't hurt anyone is me blitzing a part to the car and installing it with Tiffany early in the match. Even when I mess up which I usually do at least I know Jason's thinking about me. Maybe he'll even waste a morph and go to the wrong car.  Or me blitzing the phone house to tank the trap Jason just set and morphed away from. I don't leave every single cabin door open but when I do there's nothing wrong with it because I have a good reason. There's plenty of time mid game for fortifying cabins. 

And if I'm hunting Jason then time is of the essence and I won't waste even a second of it to fortify a cabin since I'll be dead soon anyway. Of course I will shift my style and play it safe when I come back as Tommy but that's a whole other story.

As for the saving all counselors part by opening all the windows that was a counter to a point someone made earlier about the value of barricading every single door for the sake of all the other players. And i believe my counter point holds true to their logic. Unfortunately for me I'm stuck on two different forums arguing the same points and I never intended to drag either one out this long so I'm about done. Everyone has to be getting tired of reading this crap. I know I am. 

Edit: @Pazuzu I believe you're right about lowering the fear level. Plus you get points for the first one. 

Edited by Somethin Cool
  • Like 1

Personally.... I think barricading the doors early on is safer in the long run than leaving them unbarricaded and more beneficial to the team's well being... But if people leave the windows closed... it does not help much. I have been killed many times simply by doors being left open and Jason stalking or shifting inside before I can do anything about it... or through the door on the other side of the cabin that I did not even have time to check before he got in. If you are going to barricade a door... then all the windows in that cabin should be opened. This does take time to do, more time than most players will bother spending on it... but if Jason is chasing you... you simply do not have the time to barricade everything in many cases... it is simply better to do it when Jason is not on your ass, comparatively speaking as to when he is on your ass and you are pressed for time.
    The windows being open gives you (and others) safe entrance at times when stopping to open a window will get you killed... and for those of us who do not run thick skin... it saves us from being wounded by being forced to jump through the closed window. Jason cannot waste all of his time smashing windows... time is not on his side.

From the start of a match, I am barricading all doors I encounter (except for doors that the big guy knocks down with one shot)... and setting traps on them if a trap is nearby. I also open all windows as I run around looting. When Jason finds me, it becomes a very long chase as I jump through windows, and move through the cabin an out another window... and on to the next cabin. Always moving keeps Jason on you and does not give him time to smash all the windows on each cabin or he will loose you. When I get to the end of my line of prepared cabins.... I turn the chase back around and head back down the line, using windows he has not yet smashed and denying him the time to finish smashing them by continuing to move from cabin to cabin... You would be amazed how long I can keep Jason busy just doing this... Jasons without the Destruction strength do not even have the time to finish bashing down a door if they are paying attention to where I am by using sense... or they will lose me. 
    Leaving the doors open or unlocked can be very detrimental to the team as time marches on. After escaping or dying... I have also spectated a great many players that were very grateful for all of the windows I opened and doors I locked while they are being chased by... you know who.

As Jason, I have gotten some of my best jump scares on counselors with the help of people that leave the doors open... or unlocked. There have even been quite a few screamers... but they are usually cursing the player that left the doors unlocked or wide open. I have also changed the minds of quite a few players as to why they should be locking doors and opening windows... by explaining why it was so easy to catch them. They may not care about barricading that cabin when speed looting, but when you find them and chase them back to that cabin... many times they wish they did barricade it while they had the time to do it.
    Even though I disagree with leaving doors open... as a Jason player, I do not mind it at all. This has been the bane of many players that I would have had a lot of trouble catching if someone did not leave that door open... as a counselor player, I am usually hoping to have escaped before the match gets to a point where this might cause a problem for me... but it does not always work out that way. In many matches I have been the only one barricading doors at all... but I was never the only one who benefitted from it.

In the end, however... this is just playstyle... not written rules. We should not be telling others how to play the game.... If someone wants to leave the doors open... and windows closed, that is up to them. It will get them killed at times as well. It is always advisable to assume that no one locked any door right up to the moment that you see the locked icon on it... or not... This is one of those few times that assuming something can be a good thing. It is advisable and beneficial to barricade doors...but not a requirement.
    Meanwhile, I will continue to barricade doors... open windows... loot what I can... fix what I find... and try to help the team with whatever they are trying to do... Or maybe I will sneak away in the boat... perhaps even with a passenger. And if I am Jason that round... I will probably try to harm someone... and I will not feel bad if someone did not lock a few doors.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ahab said:

We should not be telling others how to play the game.

This is commandment number one in this game. I'll give the other nine at a later date.

• Like 1

@Ahab I think its good to mix play styles. Keeps the pressure on Jason when he hears those early objectives getting accomplished, loses a trap he just placed, and if every cabin he goes to is correctly on lockdown he's probably going to have a really bad match.

@Fair Play Its not really a commandment as that would contradict the wording. But it is near the top of my list of good suggestions. I never was a fan of commandments... common sense combined with thinking about more than one's self can negate the need for an actual commandment... but both of those can be rare things in this world.
    But I look forward to the other nine suggestions that you propose.

@Somethin Cool It is good to keep things mixed up... but some things I try to do any time I run into a given situation. When Jason is chasing me... I like to force him to waste as many throwing knives as possible... but sometimes I still take a hit.. or two. Any way I can force him to use up his traps is also helpful to the team. But the whole point of playing counselor I think is to make Jason's job as difficult as we can... in any way we can. We have to make the big guy work for it after all.
   If barricading all cabins as efficiently as possible makes the Jason player's match more difficult to kill everyone... then it is not a bad thing for the counselors. But it is still best to assume that other players are not doing this... as I said above... this is one of the few times an assumption is a good thing. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
   There have been good points for both sides of the 'barricade the doors' argument... not just in this thread, but many older threads as well. In the end, it falls into playstyle I think. We have to judge what is best in each situation we run into... as we run into them. Plans can change very easily due to unforeseen circumstances. 

I like to play Part 4 Jason more than the others... only three hits for a barricaded door. Most of the other Jasons take six hits to smash one down... which feels monotonous and seems to take forever. Part 8 has destruction as well and so does Savini…. but the walking Jasons take forever to gather throwing knives... and I do not have Savini Jason either way.
    I will play other Jason variants as well... but spending twice the time smashing down each door inevitably gets to me.... and I am so used to only having three traps, I rarely use more than that in a match... even when playing part 2.

The game has become borderline unplayable on the PS4 this past week or so. Pretty much every single game is dominated by inexperienced players who have no idea what to do and more importantly don't listen to advice/instructions. The latter point is crucial as I don't mind newbies if they're willing to learn but these new players seem willfully ignorant. Even so, I kept playing until the 150 trolls returned. Throw an experienced troll into a newbie room and the game is pure pain. I had that happen 2-3 times tonight and it led to the first time I just gave up on the game before getting tired.

I can't be sure but it feels like the decline in quality of play coincided with the release of RDR2. I myself held off on playing that until after Halloween but came back to F13 tonight when I got the itch to play again. I suspect I'l be taking another break now. Seems like many of the quality players, both experienced and newbies, are spending their nights in the Old West.

10 hours ago, Eva Watanabe said:

The game has become borderline unplayable on the PS4 this past week or so. Pretty much every single game is dominated by inexperienced players who have no idea what to do and more importantly don't listen to advice/instructions. The latter point is crucial as I don't mind newbies if they're willing to learn but these new players seem willfully ignorant. 

One game:

Me: *drops off keys at car* I'm dropping the keys at the car. Please leave them there. *goes looking for more parts*

Teammate: *picks up keys while I'm running back with the battery*

Me: OK, seriously, don't pick up the keys. *puts in battery*

Me: OK, I'm headed to the car, whoever has the keys, please come back to the car so we can get out of here.

Teammate: *now being chased by Jason* *dies in river, keys irretrievable*

Me: *dies as last remaining counselor*

Another game:

Me: I'm dropping the keys next to the car, please don't pick them up.

Teammate: (30 seconds later) *picks up keys*

Me: OK, I just got done saying, please DON'T pick up the keys.

Teammate: Why?

Me: Because if you die, we have to go find them again.

Teammate: Oh. OK. *drops keys*  *enters house* *leaves house* *picks up keys again* *dies halfway across map*

I think I may still have gotten away. I don't remember.

• Thanks 1

If you get the keys or fuse, don't ever drop it.  Some idiot will come by, pick either one up, and go die somewhere else.  Happens every time.

The fuse part sucks now that I've been having fun as The Chad and I find the fuse, dropping it off at the fusebox, and looking at the map later and seeing it's no longer on the map and no one has called the cops. 

Meanwhile I've also noticed that people don't repair anything worth crap either.  I had a game yesterday where I found both the prop and gas.  I ferried both over to the boat, no one else even went anywhere close to the boat after.  I ended up surviving a chase from Jason by hiding in plain sight for the last two minutes at Packanack as the only person left, and both parts were still over by the boat.

QP is full of players now that either don't care to do anything or don't know. 

Open doors = dead counselors....period.

Ive noticed lately that there has been a sharp drop in Jason's trapping objectives. I've had several recent games as Jason where nobody completed objectives, but in the round right before that one (where I played as a counselor) several escapes occurred. These aren't just noobs, there have been several 100+ level counselors in these lobbies.

Eventually, it dawned on me that one of the reasons this is happening is the Jason's in previous rounds weren't trapping objectives. Even very new players can easily escape if there is nothing to deter them from making repairs.  

I've also noticed (as Jason) there has been an increase in "brute force" attempts, though this started before October and I blame it more on stupidity than inexperience. 

Case in point: 

Edited by HaHaTrumpWon
Added video.
  • Haha 1

had a couple of games last night where I went back to cabins i had set up and the doors are unlocked and open and the windows closed.  jason killed all of us and i didn't see him acting friendly to anyone so just some ass hate undoing the cabin for what ever reason. got me killed once which sucks.  closed the door but jason managed to shift in during the close animation.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, keepthebeat929 said:

One game:

Me: *drops off keys at car* I'm dropping the keys at the car. Please leave them there. *goes looking for more parts*Teammate:

Me: I'm dropping the keys next to the car, please don't pick them up.

Me: OK, I just got done saying, please DON'T pick up the keys.

Never drop the keys....especially in public games. Unless you don't want to drive or have no interest in escaping with a car

• Confused 1

On 11/7/2018 at 12:01 AM, Eva Watanabe said:

The game has become borderline unplayable on the PS4 this past week or so. Pretty much every single game is dominated by inexperienced players who have no idea what to do and more importantly don't listen to advice/instructions. The latter point is crucial as I don't mind newbies if they're willing to learn but these new players seem willfully ignorant. Even so, I kept playing until the 150 trolls returned. Throw an experienced troll into a newbie room and the game is pure pain. I had that happen 2-3 times tonight and it led to the first time I just gave up on the game before getting tired.

I can't be sure but it feels like the decline in quality of play coincided with the release of RDR2. I myself held off on playing that until after Halloween but came back to F13 tonight when I got the itch to play again. I suspect I'l be taking another break now. Seems like many of the quality players, both experienced and newbies, are spending their nights in the Old West.

New games come along and pull players into their worlds. A few new players out there are willing to learn. When you find a lobby full of stubborn players, it's about time to lone wolf it. For those that want to learn, offer some pointers, and help them out. You'll be glad you did.

15 hours ago, keepthebeat929 said:

One game:

Me: *drops off keys at car* I'm dropping the keys at the car. Please leave them there. *goes looking for more parts*

Teammate: *picks up keys while I'm running back with the battery*

Me: OK, seriously, don't pick up the keys. *puts in battery*

Me: OK, I'm headed to the car, whoever has the keys, please come back to the car so we can get out of here.

Teammate: *now being chased by Jason* *dies in river, keys irretrievable*

Me: *dies as last remaining counselor*

If you're gonna drop the keys, you've gotta hide them. I do it all the time. I'll fix the car, start it up, and give a ride to those that seem like decent players. The rest can stay and rot in Jason's grabby hands.

13 hours ago, SirMang said:

QP is full of players now that either don't care to do anything or don't know. 

You can't do much about the players that don't care. As for the ones who don't know how, it's a teachable moment.

8 hours ago, Fair Play said:

New games come along and pull players into their worlds. A few new players out there are willing to learn. When you find a lobby full of stubborn players, it's about time to lone wolf it. For those that want to learn, offer some pointers, and help them out. You'll be glad you did.

I'm honestly happy to see the game get new players with all the doom and gloom surrounding the lawsuit. And I main as AJ with Lightfoot 15, Restful and Preparedness so I effectively lone wolf pretty much all of my matches unless there's another competent stealthy player with a mic. But that strategy becomes much harder when newbies: 1) Hold on to items and/or don't mark them on the map; 2) Insist on repairing with poor repair characters; 3) Ignore requests to make the phone call when they're in the phone house as you're fixing the box (I don't need help per se but it's much more likely Jason will check the house out with a loud character around); 4) Follow you around asking you questions (seriously?); 5) Escape or die quickly as Tommy. All in all though I'd say my survival rate has actually increased with the newbies because Jason has been even worse lately especially when it comes to using traps (I've been reminding rooms to trap the fuse box after matches just to get a bigger challenge). I'm usually the one doing all the work but I don't mind that so long as I can find the freaking items. And yeah, I've worked with a few new players willing to learn and that's definitely a good feeling.

It's really the 150 trolls that ruin things. They couldn't do as much damage when the rooms were full of experienced players but when no-one else is working on objectives the trolls have much better odds at destroying a match by getting to items before me and either holding on to them or using a car (which I usually fixed) to run the rest of us over. I prepare for the worst when I see a 150 in a room full of newbies now. And I just bail when I see more than one since in my experience that often means they're teamers.

It has been quite the mixed bag. You've had the newbies who are nice and willing to learn. And the ones who are already teaming with their Jason friend.

For the most part though I think the free month was a pretty big success. It added alot of new people. It's been alot of fun playing with that many new people. Getting to watch them discover all the fun this game can be.