PowellCampsNAKED

Victor Miller Wins Lawsuit!

Im ready for another Jason movie as long as it isnt done "The Hills Have Eyes" way like the reboot.._ 

And screw the "Origin" bulls#%t while we are at it. My children know who Jason is and what his "original" back story is.

Get Jason back on screen doing what he excells at, killing people at and around Crystal Lake. Thats what I want anyway._.

With good writers and no "jason jumping bodies" bs, you cant go wrong with a classic horror icon doing what he does best. 

#RevivetheSlasher

10 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Aside from the fact that this would mean completely reworking the game, you also forgot that they wouldn't be able to call or refer to Jason as "Jason," they would have to remove Pam's grave from the maps, they would have to remove the Camp Crystal Lake map entirely since it's from part 1, they would have to remove her sweater, and they would have to retitle the game since the name of what is now Miller's script is titled FRIDAY THE 13th, so that name belongs to him.

If you want to do that you just have to make another game using some asset and mechanics from this one. 
It would not be that bad idea imho. You could keep the 80's and horror atmosphere and have a killer chasing 7 counselors around maps. No one have rights on that. :D 

10 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Aside from the fact that this would mean completely reworking the game, you also forgot that they wouldn't be able to call or refer to Jason as "Jason," they would have to remove Pam's grave from the maps, they would have to remove the Camp Crystal Lake map entirely since it's from part 1, they would have to remove her sweater, and they would have to retitle the game since the name of what is now Miller's script is titled FRIDAY THE 13th, so that name belongs to him.

Miller didn't get the title just the screenplay. Also, Pamela is Cunningham's, her first name was never mentioned until the second film. As for the crystal lake map I would imagine a name change would suffice. 

But the thing is that the lawsuit was only over the US film rights for the first screenplay. It had nothing to do with the game. It the judgement reads like it only affects future US film titles that use elements from Miller's original screenplay. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Fair Play said:

Regardless of who made the decision, it was done. Too bad we can't turn back time...

My point was more directed at community members putting the blame on Illfonic, but I of course agree with your general sentiment.

4 hours ago, Brigadius said:

Miller didn't get the title just the screenplay. Also, Pamela is Cunningham's, her first name was never mentioned until the second film. As for the crystal lake map I would imagine a name change would suffice. 

But the thing is that the lawsuit was only over the US film rights for the first screenplay. It had nothing to do with the game. It the judgement reads like it only affects future US film titles that use elements from Miller's original screenplay. 

This is what I think most folks are missing.

Quite literally nothing has to be messed with.

Pamela's head/sweater? Part 2
Adult Jason? Part 2
Hockey mask? Part 3

Basically the only Part 1 thing still in the game is the sequence in the virtual cabin when you get grabbed by Kid Jason and the museum exhibit of said kid Jason. Pamela didn't even have her name beyond "Mrs. Voorhes". This would mean we could still use Pamela, Adult Jason, basically anything we are using already.

• Like 1

I actually don't think anything would have to be changed, since these things were all implemented before the termination date. I would imagine at worst they'd have to strike a deal if they added anything in the future derived from the part 1 screen play. 

2 hours ago, Daneasaur said:

the only Part 1 thing still in the game is the sequence in the virtual cabin

Isn't the fact that his name is Jason something that would potentially cause problems. Mrs. Voorhees says "his name was Jason" in the first movie. They would have to change it to hockey masked killer or something if a deal isn't reached; that's just speculation of course.

10 hours ago, Thor_Bjarnason said:

My point was more directed at community members putting the blame on Illfonic, but I of course agree with your general sentiment.

I agree. Blaming Illfonic at this point serves no purpose.What's done is done.

12 hours ago, Brigadius said:

Good catch re: "Pamela"

That's great news that Cunningham gets to keep the title. That and the hockey mask are the most recognizable parts of the brand.

btw, did everyone see this? Apparently Cunningham tried to settle before the termination date, but Miller refused to talk to him.

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2018/10/horror-inc-updates-on-friday-13th-game.html

33 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Good catch re: "Pamela"

That's great news that Cunningham gets to keep the title. That and the hockey mask are the most recognizable parts of the brand.

btw, did everyone see this? Apparently Cunningham tried to settle before the termination date, but Miller refused to talk to him.

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2018/10/horror-inc-updates-on-friday-13th-game.html

I'm guessing Miller wanted everything he felt he was owed, and he didn't want to get shortchanged. I'd be curious to know what kind of offer Horror, Inc. made to him. Maybe one day, they'll realize that this is bigger than them or us, and come to a reasonable agreement.

• Haha 1

I dont want Pamela stuff removed from the game. I hope they reach an agreement and that things will stay unchanged character/canon wise.

Personally I'd be just fine with Pamela being removed IF it meant we get Uber Jason and The Grendel. We can't play as her anyway. Hell, I'll take just Uber. We all know he's finished other than his music, and I would be fine with them reusing the music of one of the other Jason versions.

Probably never going to happen, sadly.

• Thanks 2

Funny that Cunningham would "reach out" for a settlement, seeing as how he was the one that sued Miller in the first place...

Sounds like he's just trying to throw shade...

• Like 3

Doesn't make sense to offer a deal while they are suing him. Horror probably realized they were gonna lose and before that happened tried to offer some crap deal before they lost the rights altogether. Now that Miller officially owns the rights they will have to compensate him accordingly and probably to a higher tune then what they offered, if they offered anything and that was just a statement to make Miller look like the bad guy.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:07 AM, NightofthePodcast said:

Isn't the fact that his name is Jason something that would potentially cause problems. Mrs. Voorhees says "his name was Jason" in the first movie. They would have to change it to hockey masked killer or something if a deal isn't reached; that's just speculation of course.

Not quite. The statement of the court is that a dead kid named Jason is what Miller has. An adult killer (usually wearing a Hockey Mask) isn't what Miller has access to, regardless of his name.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:32 PM, Big Daddy J said:

Personally I'd be just fine with Pamela being removed IF it meant we get Uber Jason and The Grendel. We can't play as her anyway. Hell, I'll take just Uber. We all know he's finished other than his music, and I would be fine with them reusing the music of one of the other Jason versions.

Probably never going to happen, sadly.

I'd even be fine with no music for him. I mean, after all, in space, no one can hear you scream. Especially if you have a machete lodged in your throat.

jay1.jpg

But yes, when the eventual day comes that the servers are gone, I want my save to be offline and I want to be able to play as Uber.

• Like 1

After some research and reading I do get Miller got must rights but pamella and part of adult Jason but what I didn't got was a clear answer; are game devs five or are we getting more content? I really want the game to continue...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Moonbane said:

After some research and reading I do get Miller got must rights but pamella and part of adult Jason but what I didn't got was a clear answer; are game devs five or are we getting more content? I really want the game to continue...

There will never be more content for this game and I seriously doubt it will ever be in a playable state.

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, F134Ever86 said:

There will never be more content for this game and I seriously doubt it will ever be in a playable state.

Gunmedia never will touch Friday the 13th again.

but that doesent mean victor miller couldnt get a game design company to create a video game based on his story in the franchise as victor miller won the lawsuit.

1 hour ago, Strigoi said:

but that doesent mean victor miller couldnt get a game design company to create a video game based on his story in the franchise as victor miller won the lawsuit.

Even if the lawsuit was over and wasn't appealed, Miller really wouldn't be able to do much with what he won because he only owns the rights to what he created in the US. He couldn't market whatever he makes outside the US.