Jump to content
ShiftySamurai

Friday the 13th: The Game New Lead Development Partner

Recommended Posts

A press release was sent out today in regards to a shift in development partners for Friday the 13th: The Game. Black Tower Studios will take the lead to work on bugs and continue improving the overall player experience. As such, now that work on Dedicated Servers is complete, IllFonic will transition away from development of Friday the 13th: The Game, while Black Tower Studios will be picking it up. Black Tower Studios have worked with IllFonic for over a year on content and maps for Friday the 13th: The Game, and we are confident in their ability to continue supporting the game. Examples include assisting in the creation of Pinehurst and Jarvis House maps. IllFonic will be moving on to different projects that are better suited to a full team.

About Black Tower Studios: Black Tower Studios is located in Tokyo, Japan. Comprised of industry veterans from around the world, developers at Black Tower Studios have worked on a variety of AAA titles across multiple publishers.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see you posting something about this on the forum. 👍🏻 

Has any thought been given to posting more stuff here?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShiftySamurai said:

A press release was sent out today in regards to a shift in development partners for Friday the 13th: The Game. Black Tower Studios will take the lead to work on bugs and continue improving the overall player experience. As such, now that work on Dedicated Servers is complete, IllFonic will transition away from development of Friday the 13th: The Game, while Black Tower Studios will be picking it up. Black Tower Studios have worked with IllFonic for over a year on content and maps for Friday the 13th: The Game, and we are confident in their ability to continue supporting the game. Examples include assisting in the creation of Pinehurst and Jarvis House maps. IllFonic will be moving on to different projects that are better suited to a full team.

About Black Tower Studios: Black Tower Studios is located in Tokyo, Japan. Comprised of industry veterans from around the world, developers at Black Tower Studios have worked on a variety of AAA titles across multiple publishers.

Nice, so there are future patches on the horizon?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any chance that after this lawsuit is over the new dev team could have a possibility of continuing the content? Or are they just a bug fixing/stability dev team? If that makes sense.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Illfonic sux😣 they added more bugs instead of fixing them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont get it... Why would they do that?

What could they possibly gain from it?

The game does not sell anymore, so there is no more income to collect from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Yobo1987 said:

Dont get it... Why would they do that?

What could they possibly gain from it?

The game does not sell anymore, so there is no more income to collect from it.

That is absolutely untrue. Sales may not be that large but I've been seeing a majority of new players the last 2 months so people are still buying this game. And this is fantastic news for all of us. I've felt for the past year Illfonic was not capable of completely fixing issues. This is why we've had 2 new bugs for every 1 bug that gets squashed. I don't know anything about Black Tower Studios but allowing a new fresh developer to sink their teeth in this game maybe we can finally have a majority bug free game. This game IS NOT DEAD!!! I still play it on PC. There are still console players every day. It is not dead until all the servers are shut down. I don't need new content to keep me satisfied with this game. I have all the Jason's and counselors I need. I just want the lingering bugs to finally get fixed so I can 100% enjoy this game instead of just 80% enjoyment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Hydroquarintine said:

whats the point??? when you abandoned your promised content you hammered the last nail in the coffin

What content was promised that didn't come? The only argument to be had for "promised content" that wasn't delivered was Uber Jason and the Grendal map. That content was shut down due to the lawsuit. They didn't just decide screw it we're not going to give them Uber Jason. You want to give them hell for blance problems or bugs that still need fixing, you'd have a case. You don't have an argument about content though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good new only because its a possibility for improvement rather than more of the same expectation we've experienced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda weird you needed to outsource all of this but I guess it doesn't really matter when you compare it to IllFonic. I mean, how much worse could it possibly get? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think this game's development may not be as dead they are saying anymore quite frankly.
Too much opportunity for easy money and DLC, a business works on wanting money so I'll have to say bye to "that's not how development works".

Well obviously not for these developers if they're doing a whole different project, point is this game can be pretty easily picked up especially with how its model is and the state its been left in.

Obvious opportunities:
DLC and DLC

If the lawsuit settles before a ridiculous amount of time passes then we'll have the game resume development hopefully.
Frankly even though to me this news sounds pretty epic since I love and adore Jarvis House I do wonder does this mean x2 bugs from patches or actual fixes from the new devs?

More importantly has there been any actual updates on the lawsuit?
I still have hope for some reason.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

Bug fixes and potentially balance issues as well. 

Make Jason scary again and not a joke of a piniata.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Games by Black Tower Studios:

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

What content was promised that didn't come? The only argument to be had for "promised content" that wasn't delivered was Uber Jason and the Grendal map. That content was shut down due to the lawsuit. They didn't just decide screw it we're not going to give them Uber Jason. You want to give them hell for blance problems or bugs that still need fixing, you'd have a case. You don't have an argument about content though.

You’re forgetting Paranoia, and all the kick starter goals they said were fully funded. I still need a wheelchair, new escape mechanic’s and a map for every Jason. Pamela would be nice too. 

Not ragging on you but their were promises made even if people have forgotten.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

You’re forgetting Paranoia, and all the kick starter goals they said were fully funded. I still need a wheelchair, new escape mechanic’s and a map for every Jason. Pamela would be nice too. 

Not ragging on you but their were promises made even if people have forgotten.

Paranoia would be a fair point. I can't speak to the kick starter goals though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the surface, you could look at this as some ploy to change public perception if they ever decide to do another project with name recognition down the  road.

They can turn around and say they added singleplayer, dedicated servers and even though content is done, they brought in a new company to try to fix the game the best they can.

Yet they've already worked on the game, so I feel like that idea doesn't hold much power to sway public opinion for those that care. A large majority have made up their minds already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may yet still pick up and play this game with my friends. I've been playing Dead by Daylight for the past month or two and it's been a great experience, I've always thought that the core mechanics of Friday were better, more social, and more fun.

Having a new development team may not spell the ultimate doom yet (game's fate was sealed after the no new content announcement sadly). But with dedicated servers here and the promise of more bug fixes and balance fixes I'm inclined to come back, at least for a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Kinda weird you needed to outsource all of this but I guess it doesn't really matter when you compare it to IllFonic. I mean, how much worse could it possibly get? 

From the sounds of it, illFonic is a large team who will get new tasks. Whether it is by GunMedia or others remains to be seen. From the Intel we get this sounds like a simple cost cutting move (smaller team which is familiar with the game replacing larger team). It remains to be seen how this will work out. 

It's cool how people refuse to let go of their hopes regarding this game. But from what I gathered, the statement about "No New content" didn't come from dev-side, but publisher-side iirc. illFonic were hired guns to a degree, Gun town mayors. 

"We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock. We can only focus on console dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance. " 

This is an exact quote from Wes, in his own topic. It's still hard to accept with a few months time to digest. But it's a statement on an official platform from the founder and president of the company responsible for the game. The guys who did the developeing moving to other endeavours seems more likely than "we will use an even smaller Studio for Bug fixing, balancing AND New content which won't see the light of day." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Illfonic is extremely incompetent and was dismissed. We can see 2 cool games made by Black Tower Studios above, sure she alone working in the game will be possible to fix the shits made by Illfonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thor_Bjarnason said:

From the sounds of it, illFonic is a large team who will get new tasks. Whether it is by GunMedia or others remains to be seen. From the Intel we get this sounds like a simple cost cutting move (smaller team which is familiar with the game replacing larger team). It remains to be seen how this will work out. 

It's cool how people refuse to let go of their hopes regarding this game. But from what I gathered, the statement about "No New content" didn't come from dev-side, but publisher-side iirc. illFonic were hired guns to a degree, Gun town mayors. 

You're just reiterating my points. I wasn't in any way suggesting a new team that is hired to squash bugs will somehow guarantee 'new content' so please don't attribute that to me. I'm not even hopeful in the slightest that this is what any of this means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2018 at 11:05 AM, Slasher_Clone said:

Good to see you posting something about this on the forum. 👍🏻 

Has any thought been given to posting more stuff here?

We post most news to the forum, especially hot fixes and patch notes, but we have started to make sure we are creating community messaging for items that go out in press releases to make sure the community knows what's up before reading about it on a news site.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×