I was playing a match on Packanack the other day as a counselor, and a group of us got into the drive-smash-fight cycle with Jason over the 4-seater. We were on the main road, between the lodge and the first couple of cabins. 

After a few rounds of this, I remembered seeing a bear trap in the first cabin to the left. I fetched it and set it in front of the car while Jason was busy with the others. Once he was stunned I hopped in the car and cranked it up. He moved in for another round of smashy-smashy, but stepped into the trap before he could do it. It bought me just enough time to start the car, back up to gain space, and gun it past him. I wound up escaping in the car.
I'm ashamed that it took me months to think of this.
So I ask the board's illuminati ... did I stumble onto a viable, genius move here? Or is this something people do all the time and I just never knew it? Can't really remember seeing it as Jason or a counselor, or at least not often enough to consider it a common tactic.

And is it a viable tactic? It's not going to work well if you're in the car alone or even with one other person, but if there's three or four people in the car is it worth bringing a trap along as an insurance policy instead of a regular weapon? If the car gets stopped, one or two others can fight Jason while someone else sets up the trap. I've seen so many of those drive-smash-fight scenarios go badly that it seems like something to at least experiment with.

5 hours ago, Bonker2468 said:

I was playing a match on Packanack the other day as a counselor, and a group of us got into the drive-smash-fight cycle with Jason over the 4-seater. We were on the main road, between the lodge and the first couple of cabins. 

After a few rounds of this, I remembered seeing a bear trap in the first cabin to the left. I fetched it and set it in front of the car while Jason was busy with the others. Once he was stunned I hopped in the car and cranked it up. He moved in for another round of smashy-smashy, but stepped into the trap before he could do it. It bought me just enough time to start the car, back up to gain space, and gun it past him. I wound up escaping in the car.
So I ask the board's illuminati ... did I stumble onto a viable, genius move here? Or is this something people do all the time and I just never knew it? Can't really remember seeing it as Jason or a counselor, or at least not often enough to consider it a common tactic.

And is it a viable tactic? It's not going to work well if you're in the car alone or even with one other person, but if there's three or four people in the car is it worth bringing a trap along as an insurance policy instead of a regular weapon? If the car gets stopped, one or two others can fight Jason while someone else sets up the trap. I've seen so many of those drive-smash-fight scenarios go badly that it seems like something to at least experiment with.

I've never seen it personally. If nothing else I'd have to give you credit for creativity. I don't think it'd work for long if it became a known strategy though. Jason would simply grab you out of the car instead.

My favorite tactic is to bring the car to a complete stop. If your reflexes are quick there's nothing he can do about it. He'll have to come out of shift and by then your backing up.

13 minutes ago, thrawn3054 said:

I've never seen it personally. If nothing else I'd have to give you credit for creativity. I don't think it'd work for long if it became a known strategy though. Jason would simply grab you out of the car instead.

My favorite tactic is to bring the car to a complete stop. If your reflexes are quick there's nothing he can do about it. He'll have to come out of shift and by then your backing up.

if you're in a group, it could be a pretty solid tactic. if everyone's on the same page, it's not that hard to prevent jason from pulling people out of the car. 

8 minutes ago, matisangry said:

if you're in a group, it could be a pretty solid tactic. if everyone's on the same page, it's not that hard to prevent jason from pulling people out of the car. 

You can usually get them pulled out. You'll be hit immediately after, but you can usually get the grab off.

I like putting traps in front of the car for Jason, so you’re not alone in doing it, I’m going to say it’s brilliant but add the disclaimer of, when it works. 

A little while back there was this Chad person I was spectating who trolled a pretty competent Jason with a shitload of traps. He even managed to "chainstun" Jason with afew traps. Needless to say, he ran the clock. Had to compliment that Chad after the game.

Yeah, I've seen it done before, but definately not very frequently. Nice job though!

Edit: speaking of beartraps, had to mention that once when I was Jason I started with my normal routines; traped and smashed phonehouse, morphed to 4-seater... and somebody had trap-blocked the car so I couldnt trap gas or battery, and same with 2-seater. That pissed me off some, had to be creative.. 

• Like 1

I've never used the traps quite like that. If I spawn near a car or phone box though I'm totally the asshole that lays a trap (not open!) to block Jason from setting any of his own. 

I also Like to put traps down in front of the fuse and power box for tommy so Jason cannot place it. 

• Like 2

People have been doing that since the beginning. It used to be the meta once you installed the battery you placed a trap at the front so Jason would eagerly try to stop you and you could finish starting and back up. Players also used to place an unset trap at the phone box if possible before Jason got there which blocks him from trapping the fuse box. There just aren’t many OG players or even backers that still play like that or at all. 

I would like to see Jason be able remove these out-of the way. I feel it's an exploit because Jason cannot place traps and move the  counselor bear traps when they are deployed. Can you clarify on this @ShiftySamurai?

It would be cool if Jason could use them only outside like remake Jason did.

3 hours ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

People have been doing that since the beginning. It used to be the meta once you installed the battery you placed a trap at the front so Jason would eagerly try to stop you and you could finish starting and back up. Players also used to place an unset trap at the phone box if possible before Jason got there which blocks him from trapping the fuse box. There just aren’t many OG players or even backers that still play like that or at all. 

So, an unarmed and armed counselor bear trap, can prevent Jason from placeing his own in front of an objective such as the phone box and the power box?

33 minutes ago, Dead Meme said:

So, an unarmed and armed counselor bear trap, can prevent Jason from placeing his own in front of an objective such as the phone box and the power box?

Yea, it's pretty well known among veteran players.  You don't see it as much as many vets now rather want to survive the night, kill Jason, or has already left the game.

3 hours ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

I think one of the reasons you don't see it at the fuse box very often is because it's become the meta for Jason to go there immediately when the match starts. It's hard to spawn in, find a trap, get back outside and set it before Jason is there as well.

If I'm more than a couple of minutes into the match and stumble upon an untrapped fuse box, I figure (most of the time, anyway) I'm dealing with an inexperienced Jason who isn't going to bother trapping it at all or doesn't know to. If that's the case, there's no need to put a trap of my own there.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 9:40 AM, lasse_hei said:

A little while back there was this Chad person I was spectating who trolled a pretty competent Jason with a shitload of traps. He even managed to "chainstun" Jason with afew traps. Needless to say, he ran the clock. Had to compliment that Chad after the game.

Yeah, I've seen it done before, but definately not very frequently. Nice job though!

Edit: speaking of beartraps, had to mention that once when I was Jason I started with my normal routines; traped and smashed phonehouse, morphed to 4-seater... and somebody had trap-blocked the car so I couldnt trap gas or battery, and same with 2-seater. That pissed me off some, had to be creative.. 

Man! I bet I know who that Chad was. Thetommy is probably the culprit, remember him? ALWAYS played Chad with the tree branch, cracks jokes like deadpool. Funny guy! I remember I was Mitch and I was trapping the fuse box at the start of a match when he came over and he was like "You beautiful bastard! I'm gonna have fun with that!" And he proceeded to traps the cars. It might have been him, I created a Monster that night. Lol!  Trapping objectives really forces Jason to improvise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dead Meme said:

Yeah, if I spawn at an objective and a bear trap is nearby I will drop it there. It's funny to come back and see that Jason has wasted all of his traps trying to create a minefield around the one trap I set. 

2 hours ago, Bonker2468 said:

I think one of the reasons you don't see it at the fuse box very often is because it's become the meta for Jason to go there immediately when the match starts. It's hard to spawn in, find a trap, get back outside and set it before Jason is there as well.

If I'm more than a couple of minutes into the match and stumble upon an untrapped fuse box, I figure (most of the time, anyway) I'm dealing with an inexperienced Jason who isn't going to bother trapping it at all or doesn't know to. If that's the case, there's no need to put a trap of my own there.

Exactly. Since they adjusted the fuse spawn tho some experienced players opt to trap the car first knowing a counselor won’t spawn in the fuse cabin and find the fuse in the first drawer anymore. Lol remember when if you didn’t go immediately to the fuse someone would have called the cops in the first 20 seconds? Smh

On 9/10/2018 at 1:50 PM, Pazuzu said:

Yeah, if I spawn at an objective and a bear trap is nearby I will drop it there. It's funny to come back and see that Jason has wasted all of his traps trying to create a minefield around the one trap I set. 

Wow, haha. They should patch that, lol. Jason can put traps on objective items, but not bear traps? 

3 hours ago, Dead Meme said:

Wow, haha. They should patch that, lol. Jason can put traps on objective items, but not bear traps? 

I believe we had a few topics about that already.  Doesn't bother me that much, I've had it done to me a few times as Jason, lol,  It's worth some consideration this when you should trap the phone or car first if you think you have some kinda player who would do this in your lobby.  First person there gets to set there trap.

Edit: Hey, my 1,000st post :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

I believe we had a few topics about that already.  Doesn't bother me that much, I've had it done to me a few times as Jason, lol,  It's worth some consideration this when you should trap the phone or car first if you think you have some kinda player who would do this in your lobby.  First person there gets to set there trap.

Edit: Hey, my 1,000st post :D

Yeah, first come first serve. But, to be honest it never really worked against a great Jason player. Lesser Jason's hate it, but probably because it's new to them. The great ones laugh it off, and when you inevitably come back and are dumb enough to not look where you're walking... Snap! All it takes is look at the terrain and judge the paths to the objective. I know everytime I tried it against Rustinpeace or Malloy they would make me pay! Lol, best I got was an mildly annoyed "Damnit Red!" outta Rust once about five minutes before he pitchforked me as I was furiously pounding the escape button after getting stuck in a clever trap placed under a tree coming back with the fuse. 1000 posts, that's alot of good stuff! Congrats!

On 9/9/2018 at 12:46 AM, Bonker2468 said:

I wouldn't say the tactic is common, but I've used it in the past. I do the same thing with the phone box too.