TheFinalGay

Features that will be in the beta

So today on twitter someone asked :

« Once the public beta is out will you be answering a lot of questions you couldn't answer before? »

The official account's answer was :

« If the feature is in the beta, yes. »

I wonder what that answer mean. 

1) It means certain counselors, certain Jasons, certain maps won't be in the beta. I get that and I'd be cool with that honestly. My only worry is about balance. Since all counselors and Jasons are different, and we don't test them, what if they're not beta-tested and once they're released some of them are overwhelmingly weak? Or overpowered? Or what if some maps that aren't beta-tested have exploits and are released as such? As I said though, I really understand the reasoning and I wouldn't mind that.

2) Do you think it might mean some mechanics might not be polished enough to make it into the beta? If so that'd be a bit worrisome.

3) Do you think it might mean that the Leveling system, the customization options won't be ready to be in the beta? I would be fine with them being there and starting over at the official release, but I'd love a preview. What if the leveling system is slower or faster than they anticipated and they haven't tested it?

As I said, these aren't complaints, they aren't even really concerns, they're just thoughts I had. What do you guys think will and won't make it in the beta?

This is a good question actually. I heard we would only have one map and maybe one Jason to play with during the beta. Ive had the same thought about things being tested by a larger playerbase. No matter what, a game dev cannot account for how different people play the game. 

Usually a beta has implied the game is 'feature complete' so it would suck if multiplayer features didn't make it in, but they are an indie team so it's a true test. 

I guess we will just have to wait and see what they throw out there, hopefully we get an announcement soon. I also hope it's more than a weekend long

• Like 1

The beta will not be the full release. At that point the game could just be released right? Beta tests are not for balancing, that is at first done from internal play tests. Balancing also can happen with a live game so I am not sure what the concern is there. Beta tests are primarily for server testing and sonetimes uncovers some bugs.

This is actually a beta test and not a marketing ploy, stuff is being worked on and it will be worked on until release in early 2017.

I think your concerns while understandable are nothing to be all that concerned about.

• Like 1

i am HOPING the features come down to things like a level cap, customization and who you can and can't choose.

What will worry me a bit if it gets cut are gameplay elements. Say you can't grab someone in a certain situation, you can ONLY escape by car, jason can't die and stuff like that. I get reducing the means of escape however, though even that's a stretch for me. The gameplay needs to be solid or the potential fans might be lost on it.

Though i have no reason for worrying about it as of right now. After looking back and forth for a while now i find that the devs are transparent where they can, and show actual love towards the source material.

And the game is friday the 13th and vice versa. Right now anyways. It represents an odd milestone, because if it succeeds greatly there migth be more games like this in the pipeline, maybe even with even more familiar horror icons. If it fails however, this particular genre will probably suffer and be down to fanmade games again, and without the icons of horror obviously.

• Like 1

The beta will not be the full release. At that point the game could just be released right? Beta tests are not for balancing, that is at first done from internal play tests. Balancing also can happen with a live game so I am not sure what the concern is there. Beta tests are primarily for server testing and sonetimes uncovers some bugs.

Thank you for answering Jpops!

My concern was that even though everything is tested internally, the devs are probably really good with how much they play! So I was thinking, if counselors and Jasons play differently, if some are weaker, they might not realize it because of how good they are! If us average joes gave em a spin though, if there is such a problem, the feedback could fix weaker counselors or Jasons.

I fully trust the team though and if you tell me it's nothing to be concerned about, I'm on board

My thoughts is they will probably drop 2 Jason's for testing purposes, one living and one undead. That would make it so the sprint vs non sprint Jason could be shown off. More than likely Sack Head and Part 7 as they seem to have gotten polish passes recently.

As for campers its a safe bet that we wont be seeing the nerd, the jock, the girl next door or Tommy. Probably the campers they have been showing off the most will be the playable ones AKA The Bookish Girl, The Athletic Girl, Kenny, The Preppy Guy & The Flirty Girl.

AJ and Lachoppa probably wont make it beta side.

The map will probably again be the one most shown off, (as its probably the most stable) Camp Crystal Lake.

Aside from that best guess is they wont show off progression. If they do it will be VERY limited just to give you an idea of how it works.

These are my best guesses anyway.

• Like 2

My thoughts is they will probably drop 2 Jason's for testing purposes, one living and one undead. That would make it so the sprint vs non sprint Jason could be shown off. More than likely Sack Head and Part 7 as they seem to have gotten polish passes recently.

As for campers its a safe bet that we wont be seeing the nerd, the jock, the girl next door or Tommy. Probably the campers they have been showing off the most will be the playable ones AKA The Bookish Girl, The Athletic Girl, Kenny, The Preppy Guy & The Flirty Girl.

The map will probably again be the one most shown off, (as its probably the most stable) Camp Crystal Lake.

Aside from that best guess is they wont show off progression. If they do it will be VERY limited just to give you an idea of how it works.

they need 7 different councelors for the match,girl next door (jenny myers) was in the screenshots, so, she will be. And for Jason, I bet we will see the first 3 that they created: Part 2, part 3 and part 7 :) 

they need 7 different counselors for the match

2 folks can play the same camper. They aren't unique picks.

So chances are that they are only going to release the ones that are polished / modeled. Jenny only VERY recently got modeled (that we know of). So that's a toss up if they think she is polished enough to run in the beta.

I honestly hope not every single feature is in the beta. Namely select counselors and Jason models.

If we are exposed to everything the game has to offer, then we may get tired of the game by the time it launches.

I honestly hope not every single feature is in the beta. Namely select counselors and Jason models.

If we are exposed to everything the game has to offer, then we may get tired of the game by the time it launches.

Very true! I wouldnt mind, but i understand that it keeps us interested and excited for the official release if we didnt get to play our favorite counselor or Jason in the beta.

Like sanetsuken said though, i hope gameplay-wise (mechanics, means of escape, ability to kill jason), the game is 100% complete and playable in the beta!

• Like 1

It's clearly not going to be the 100% game on the beta, otherwise they wouldn't be waiting 2-4 months after the beta to release the game. No game is 100% perfectly tuned when it releases though, regardless of how large a beta test is. That's why patches release for games days, and even months, after the initial launch date. The devs are never going to find out every glitch, unfair tactic, and cheap strategy through in-office or a week of beta testing. That stuff gets unveiled when thousands of people are playing the game at once, 24 hours a day, and every variable of the coding is being tested. The beta is simply to help them ensure the basic framework of the game is balanced and their servers are set up to support the amount of players they'll be getting when the game gets released.  In almost all instances, beta is just a modern renaming for demo, cause major AAA game companies release their beta like a month before release date and the game is basically complete. This a more traditional beta where they actual are giving us access to incomplete code and hoping we can help them tighten up the gameplay and find potential issues they can fix prior to the actual release. 

I want to offer this counterpoint as food for thought:

If everything was enabled, and you were sick of the game before it even launched, wouldn't that make the game itself bad in your opinion?

This game will have repetition out the ass, in the same way left 4 dead, dead by daylight, hell even any fps game. I don't expect the beta to last long (maybe it will and that's why it's taking so long), but if they unlocked everything for a single week, and you got tired of the game within that week, would you really want to spend money on it ultimately?

I think I read somewhere that the map will be Higgins Haven, but I could be wrong. You're probably right about the counselors.   

Beta won't contain all the content from the game; we are still working on a few things here and there, but you'll get the major aspect of the game included with the beta. 

• Like 3

I want to offer this counterpoint as food for thought:

If everything was enabled, and you were sick of the game before it even launched, wouldn't that make the game itself bad in your opinion?

This game will have repetition out the ass, in the same way left 4 dead, dead by daylight, hell even any fps game. I don't expect the beta to last long (maybe it will and that's why it's taking so long), but if they unlocked everything for a single week, and you got tired of the game within that week, would you really want to spend money on it ultimately?

Not at all.

There are fantastic games that I get sick of playing for a while. GTA V for example. I get a high for a certain game then I get bored of it.

That's the way games are. The way they'll always be. Has nothing to do with the overall quality of the product.

Don't release beta until I get a computer ;) muwahahaa

Only a month left of 2016 pretty much. better hurry up if u want to play the beta lol

Not at all.

There are fantastic games that I get sick of playing for a while. GTA V for example. I get a high for a certain game then I get bored of it.

That's the way games are. The way they'll always be. Has nothing to do with the overall quality of the product.

Then your view on what's fantastic has to be tremendously skewered in a weird way i couldn't possibly understand.

Also, wooh december soon. Tops 32 days to wait

Then your view on what's fantastic has to be tremendously skewered in a weird way i couldn't possibly understand.

So I can't enjoy a game without being 100% committed to it?

I am exactly the same way. I play games in short bursts, then drop them for long periods of time. There's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't mean we don't love the games. It is however, a bit unusual.

I am exactly the same way. I play games in short bursts, then drop them for long periods of time. There's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't mean we don't love the games. It is however, a bit unusual.

Yeah. I typically have my gaming phases that last two to four weeks.

GTA V lasted a month.

I'm back in my Chivalry phase.

My Skyrim craze lasted about a week.

Well apparently by your definition no game I've ever played has been fantastic because I don't play them all the time. I'd say your definition is skewed. I've played a lot of great games that I don't play a lot of any more and didn't put more than 100 or so hours in to yet they were fantastic games. You don't need to no life a game for it to be fantastic.

Well apparently by your definition no game I've ever played has been fantastic because I don't play them all the time. I'd say your definition is skewed. I've played a lot of great games that I don't play a lot of any more and didn't put more than 100 or so hours in to yet they were fantastic games. You don't need to no life a game for it to be fantastic.

A multiplayer game that you spend less than a week on can't be considered "great" by your own standards.

And what you seem to conveniently ignore is that i'm not saying that you have to play 160 hours at once, what i'm saying is that if the game doesn't have lasting power for you as a person after a week, then i don't see how you can call it fantastic considering your attention went away that quick. It's like calling world of warcraft the greatest game of all time, and then only have 20-ish hours total on it. It doesn't add up.

It's like that one guy/girl who claimed portal 1 was the greatest game of all time, and then said she/he didn't even finish it. It's a surreal statement

See above.

Adding to that, when you say that your "typical gaming phase" for any general game is 2-4 weeks, then it's especially odd since my point was within one week. And a mp one at that.

But, i'm not here to make enemies, though i seem to have made atleast one. My point was that i found your logic about it strange. Didn't mean any offence by it.