Sign in to follow this  
Daneasaur

This game at it's core can go on...

I really like the idea and basis for F13's gameplay. I love the mocapped kills, I love the thematic behind it, and I love the basic function of how the game is supposed to be played. When the game was announced "dead", I was mostly sad at the lack of anymore of this kind of game...

Or is it the end?

Imagine the gameplay idea of F13: One "monster" vs 7 victims. The goal is for them to escape or last the whole round. The monster can be stunned but it cannot be killed. As the monster, you can slink around carefully or you can be bold and blaring and you can knock the door down. Better yet, you could go with not only any number of slasher monster types, but by using different "skins" on the settings, you could do different settings, such as a future themed map where you have to escape an alien or robot, you could do something modern/contemporary in the woods (like F13), you could do urban in some desolate small town (silent hill-ish), or you could go to the past in the sword and sorcery ages (army of darkness).

Just using a creature/killer that would work for each area and the survivors required to work together for the most part and you have a very good formula. F13 made use of it with environment kills, so where you got caught would determine what the killer could do to you and I think that is a good idea to follow. Include 4 on-hand grab kills, and a selectable weapon to change up kills, and of course, singleplayer as the monster vs AI, and I'd buy it

But keep the monster vaguely humanoid shaped, that way the mocapped kills could be somewhat interchanged between them. I think the abilities Jason has work well; a map teleport, a sense ability, an evil-dead type dash for shorter range porting, and a stalk function to mute music and sounds to your prey.

I know werewolves, vampires, and even Frankenstein's monster (Adam) are able to be used as they are public domain, but I'd want to go with something more exotic and more along the lines of something you couldn't "reason" with in a normal context.

Off the top of my head, here are some killer ideas::

Robotic/android: 

I think of something that looks more like General Grievous would work though it'd be hilarious to make it a knock off of one of the FNAF bots and watch it chase you down before it crushes your head. (a degree of levity can be enjoyed, so long as the threat is consistent).

Unknown horror:

Some random hell beast that has some aspects of human mixed with something else. Perhaps tapping into the idea of some of the original angelic depictions combined with a humanoid shape (pic is Godzilla + the Buddhist idea of the perfected soul)
4f7908ee090edb0136d6c916f47f116b.jpg

>Skeleton

You could design it up a bit, but honestly a simple Skeleton with a sword and shield would be horrifying enough to imagine you have to escape it. Obviously you'd probably get xylophone sounds somewhere in the music.

Combine any of the above with better bug fixes, a single player, and the monster being able to strike the fear of god into the group of people, and I'd happily get it.

But on the topic of "Monsters that can't have a copyright thrown on them thus the game gets canned", what other creatures pique your interest, folks?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've often thought that Count Dracula would work well in this game.  Give him kills like the blood suck and the Heart rip and we're good to go.  He can even turn into a cloud of mist when he goes into the shift form. And he is of course in the public domain.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PsychoHippie said:

I've often thought that Count Dracula would work well in this game.  Give him kills like the blood suck and the Heart rip and we're good to go.  He can even turn into a cloud of mist when he goes into the shift form. And he is of course in the public domain.

You know, that'd be rather interesting. Have him be one of the"monsters" of the dark ages setting along with the werewolf and even Adam.

I'm still of the mindset to have the monster have a "stern walking speed" (the jog/zombie stomp depending on the character), but for Dracula i'd vouch for him to sorta "hover". I'd certainly have him be in the "Jog" range of speed.

Maybe the special kills, instead of being weapon based could be character based, such as the blood drinking being strictly for Dracula and perhaps an electrocution one for Adam and so on.

Is it weird for me to think of darker versions of Alice in Wonderland characters? Afaik the source material should be free to use and a bloodthirsty Queen of Hearts could work fine. 

Even selecting monsters from the Cthulhu mythos. Make an Alien game with this multiplayer format. Or a game like Dante where the maps are layers of Hell and there are different demons one player controls trying to prevent souls from escaping. Give the demons different special abilities.

There are numerous franchises or monster ideas they could use. Original monsters sounds more appealing to me. I want most of the bugs worked out before taking another franchise.

The abilities and format in this game are enjoyable. It can work for sure. Asymmetrical games are picking up momentum.

Make a werewolf game where the object is to escape without getting killed or infected. Of course, most people would opt to get infected but that would be a lot of the fun. 

15 hours ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

Make a werewolf game where the object is to escape without getting killed or infected. Of course, most people would opt to get infected but that would be a lot of the fun. 

I like that idea, a werewolf game would be fun. Only way to kill with silver bullets. I'd also go with a classic monsters game, Dracula, mummy etc 

On 8/24/2018 at 8:57 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

Even selecting monsters from the Cthulhu mythos. Make an Alien game with this multiplayer format. Or a game like Dante where the maps are layers of Hell and there are different demons one player controls trying to prevent souls from escaping. Give the demons different special abilities.

There are numerous franchises or monster ideas they could use. Original monsters sounds more appealing to me. I want most of the bugs worked out before taking another franchise.

The abilities and format in this game are enjoyable. It can work for sure. Asymmetrical games are picking up momentum.

How could I forget?

qgCWQKt.jpg

But yes you're right, if this game was cleaned up of it's glitches, the framework can be used for numerous slasher monsters.

• Like 1

Absolutely. This game had an absolutely winning formula before they nerfed Jason gameplay into the ground. I thought about this formula being used by different devs around that time as well.

It could be applied to any game. For instance, Mortal Kombat. Imagine Scorpion stalking people using the spear.

The Batman franchise as another example, using his various rogues gallery (with different gameplay styles) to kill (or attack) people similar to Jason. You could even call Batman in (a la Tommy Jarvis) or vice versa, Batman (or Nightwing, Robin, etc.) stalking petty crooks and can call a villain in to combat Batman et al.

Apropos to the matter, Capcom could straight up rip this game off entirely should they decide to use Nemesis this way in the RE3 remake we all know is coming.

Seriously, I don't know why Gun/illfonic catered to the counselors. It killed the game, imo.

When people started punking the volatiles in Dying Light, Techland buffed them through the roof. Why? Without a suitable challenge, there is no tension, there is no terror.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

"A naked man stole my balloons."

"Have you ever tried to talk to a corpse? Its boring."

Upo  further reflection this game engine would be an even better fit for a Count Dracula game than I had originally thought. The Count is actually capable of most of the things that Jason is able to do including the teleportation and the super fast movement.  Even the setting would work out perfectly. Replace the cabins with primitive Village Huts, remove the modern-day items and Crystal Lake becomes typical Transylvanian Countryside. Not to mention using Count Dracula would justify the limited amount of time you have to capture the counselors. After all Dracula has to be in before daylight (in most pop culture adaptations) whereas Jason really had no good reason be limited on time.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 10:55 PM, Caulus said:

Seriously, I don't know why Gun/illfonic catered to the counselors. It killed the game, imo.

Sales and the whining from the community/casuals that came in from elsewhere.

Conspiracy theory: To fuck over the game as quickly as possible to accelerate the end of the game in order to cut and run with the money/ devs were secretly counselor fans. 

???

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2018 at 7:32 AM, PsychoHippie said:

Upo  further reflection this game engine would be an even better fit for a Count Dracula game than I had originally thought. The Count is actually capable of most of the things that Jason is able to do including the teleportation and the super fast movement.  Even the setting would work out perfectly. Replace the cabins with primitive Village Huts, remove the modern-day items and Crystal Lake becomes typical Transylvanian Countryside. Not to mention using Count Dracula would justify the limited amount of time you have to capture the counselors. After all Dracula has to be in before daylight (in most pop culture adaptations) whereas Jason really had no good reason be limited on time.

You're correct.

Add to it that Dracula, especially in the Hammer films, frequently would do things of brute strength and animalistic savagery when he was adequately pissed off.

Two things I'd have specifically:

1: You can't see his legs as his robe/cape somewhat obscures him and he sorta "hovers", albeit at the "Jason Jogging" speed.

2: When "rage" kicks in, he doesn't break doors/walls down, instead he takes mist form and just goes through them without breaking them. This would make survivors think twice about trying to take shelter inside of a building since Drac wouldn't be leaving openings for them to escape through.

on top of that, Frankenstein's Monster would also be a fantastic 'mirror" for Jason. Just add a kill or two where he electrocutes his victim and we could almost rip any of the Zombie Stomp Jasons right into this

Mortal-Kombat-X-Raiden-fatality.gif

• Like 1

The game can definitely live on the devs just need to allowmodders to create levels, Jason skins, counsellor skins etc.

Since they're not selling dlc anymore I don't see why this shouldn't be allowed?

What a game like this COULD use is a Mutant Family element; think Hills Have Eyes/Wrong Turn. Jason's biggest weakness is how he responds when confronted with a group of good counselors, and having a second or third "Jason" that could show up any time would change that play aspect entirely. Additionally, everyone gets someone on their "team", so you don't go "x v. 1" every time, and actually get to play with a friend on either side of the game.

On August 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM, Daneasaur said:

You're correct.

Add to it that Dracula, especially in the Hammer films, frequently would do things of brute strength and animalistic savagery when he was adequately pissed off.

Two things I'd have specifically:

1: You can't see his legs as his robe/cape somewhat obscures him and he sorta "hovers", albeit at the "Jason Jogging" speed.

2: When "rage" kicks in, he doesn't break doors/walls down, instead he takes mist form and just goes through them without breaking them. This would make survivors think twice about trying to take shelter inside of a building since Drac wouldn't be leaving openings for them to escape through.

on top of that, Frankenstein's Monster would also be a fantastic 'mirror" for Jason. Just add a kill or two where he electrocutes his victim and we could almost rip any of the Zombie Stomp Jasons right into this

Mortal-Kombat-X-Raiden-fatality.gif

I would mark out over a Hammer Dracula game (using the late  Sir Christopher Lee's likeness, of course) even harder than I did Friday.  Someone needs to make this happen.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 8:48 PM, PsychoHippie said:

I would mark out over a Hammer Dracula game (using the late  Sir Christopher Lee's likeness, of course) even harder than I did Friday.  Someone needs to make this happen.

I'm on with that. It would only need allowance of Lee's likeness and Hammer inc. which I don't think is in any danger of legal issues at the moment.

11 hours ago, Daneasaur said:

I'm on with that. It would only need allowance of Lee's likeness and Hammer inc. which I don't think is in any danger of legal issues at the moment.

The likeness of Peter Cushing as Van Helsing in the role that Tommy plays certainly wouldn’t hurt any. 

• Like 1