What if the developers Received permission to create a game mode that utilized John Carpenters the thing. One person starts out infected in Antarctica, and tries to infect others. You could sabotage any plans and have little things you can do for tests to see if someone else is infected... I would buy it again for something like that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AcerJ said:

What if the developers Received permission to create a game mode that utilized John Carpenters the thing. One person starts out infected in Antarctica, and tries to infect others. You could sabotage any plans and have little things you can do for tests to see if someone else is infected... I would buy it again for something like that.

If done well, this could be an awesome game... but it would be a logistical nightmare to create if the thing was kept to what it is in the movies.

Also, welcome to the forums!!! 

It would be awesome to have The Thing game :) They could use their "paranoia" ideas for that...

The problem with this is if the match is that one player infects others unbeknownst to them, this is exactly what's going to happen:

1. Get your party on discord. Once the match starts everyone tells each other who is not infected.

2. Once everyone figures out who is the thing, they all gang up on that player and torch them to death.

If Discord or party chat is not an option, then without a way to tell if someone is a thing, then the match will just devolve into scrambling to get the weapons and flamethrowers as fast as possible and kill every other player, be they infected or not. If they are infected, congrats! You just killed a thing. If they are not infected, CONGRATS! Now you have a bunch of sweet loot to pick up and increase your chances of survival.

In short, a multi-player game based on the thing couldn't work. It could only work if things were clearly marked, in which case it would basically be Halo's Infection game mode.

A single-player game based on the thing, perhaps with branching paths and narratives, like Dead Space meets TellTale's The Walking Dead, yeah that would be sweet. Otherwise it wouldn't really work.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 1:24 AM, Slasher_Clone said:

Sounds fun, isn’t there a The Thing game already? I thought I read about one, maybe I was just wishful thinking. 

Image result for the thing video game

That's an old game

1 hour ago, Slasher_Clone said:

That’s the one I was thinking of, a modern update with multiplayer would be cool.

Agree that would be cool

it's been along time since i played that game

They were making a second one of that single player game back in the day. Obviously it got scrapped though. That was an extremely fun title to me. 

I love the concept of The Thing as an asymmetrical horror game. As mentioned though the problem is telling each other who is infected.

I think you would have to create different forms with different abilities to make it interesting. 

On 8/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, T.W said:

Image result for the thing video game

That's an old game

I really enjoyed this game, got it back in the day. It was well done, showed a lot of love for the movie and was a sequel of sorts. 

The gameplay was decent and your squad reacted to your behaviour and it affected whether they trusted you. 

17 hours ago, kohagan said:

I really enjoyed this game, got it back in the day. It was well done, showed a lot of love for the movie and was a sequel of sorts. 

The gameplay was decent and your squad reacted to your behaviour and it affected whether they trusted you. 

Yeah it was an awesome game I wish there was a remake for it that would be kick ass

• Like 1

There is a game on Steam called Deceit that has the basic mechanics down, and it is a pretty fun game if you are with a group of friends on Discord. I think the idea could be expanded into a pretty kick-ass, full-blown Thing game. It would need a lot of tweaking, but I believe the potential is there.

https://www.playdeceit.com/