Sign in to follow this  
malloymk

Can't even add a rock but...

5 minutes ago, RustInPeace said:

That is the risk of taking the boat.  More direct and less obstructions to the exit, yet vulnerable if caught.  I don't see the problem.  I want this to be a HORROR game, so anything to make that faux feeling of survival a bit more intense I'm all for.  Just like the movies (aside from hearing his prox music in the game) it emphasizes that Jason could potentially be ANYWHERE at ANY TIME.  I LOVE THAT!

An objective item in the bottom of the lake or glitched into the terrain makes the objectives obsolete.  A sound cue just makes you (as a counselor) a much more favorable target, but not a 100% guaranteed death (dependant on the Jason players skill/ attention/ intention).  Again, a non-issue that only bothers people who want to "win".  I want to survive by the "Skin O' My Teeth" or BRUTALLY die trying.

You're no guaranteed to get killed on the boat, but the odds go up much more. Basically the counter play is you start the boat, run off and wait to get on. The reality is now Jason knows the boat is in play and will map spam until he sees it moving. Once you're off the show it's checkmate.

Why would I want to use an objective where the counterplay is so weak? I get the rush of wanting a challenge. But I'm not about a suicide mission either.

Adding a sound is not a positive. The whole point of taking the boat is a stealth escape. In exchange for that stealth you risk nearly certain death if caught. By adding a sound you make it so only a complete fool would bother with the boat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, Alkavian said:

DID YOU HEAR THAT? – Sounds and effects to know

So I have been piddling around on the forums and noticed something that I feel I should do a quick write-up for to help the newer players. There seems to be a lack of knowledge in regards to the visual and sound cues you hear while playing the game. Many of us who have been playing for a long time know what most of this stuff means, but I’ve even seen a few veteran players who didn’t know what cues meant. Let’s try to fix that shall we?

Sound Cues:

You will hear many cues in the game. Let’s start with the basic one you hear right at the beginning of a match whether you play Jason or a counselor.

-          Ki Ki Ki MA MA MA – The iconic effect means that one of Jason’s abilities have unlocked. You hear it right at the start because Jason gets Morph immediately. The 2nd time you hear it, Sense unlocks, the 3rd Shift unlocks, lastly Stalk unlocks.

-          A quick “zap/buzz” (heard as Jason) – This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check on either the car battery OR a generator box that was broken by Jason.

-          A hard metallic smack/clank (heard as Jason) – This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check installing the boat propeller.

-          A hollow metallic warping sound (heard as Jason) – This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check installing the gas in either the boat OR a car.

-          A triple “dial tone sound” (heard as Jason) - This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check installing the phone fuse.

-          A “grunt and a thud” – This is the sound of a counselor passing through a window. If you enter a building and you know a counselor is there, then hear this, they have made an exit or someone else has made an entrance.

-          A creaking cabinet sound – This is the sound of a counselor entering a wardrobe hiding spot or an outhouse.

-          A wooden thud w/ slight echo – This is the sound of a door being closed.

-          A click – The sound of a flashlight turning on/off OR a door being locked (but not barricaded).

-          A sliding/scraping sound ending in a wooden thud – The sound of a door barricade being engaged.

-          A soft-fast scraping sound – A window opening or closing.

-          A really quiet slow slide – The sound of a counselor going under a bed to hide.

-          Car Start – This should be obvious. NOTE: YOU WILL NOT HEAR THE BOAT START!

VHS Static:

You will see this effect if Jason is within 30m of you and activates either Shift, Morph, or Stalk. If Jason activates Stalk, and you are within 30m of him, you will not see VHS static for the other abilities if he then chooses to use them. On a side note, Stalk also mutes Jason’s footsteps and he moves silently.

Just a few things to help you if you don’t know what the sound cues mean yet. Hope it helps!

Sound cues from Alkavrian's guide. I realize this is not official, but it clearly states there is no boat noise.

4 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Noticed sound was missing when someone grabbed sweater last night. Jason never came so not sure if he didnt get sound alert,  didnt notice it or just didnt have morph ready

Did you have Jason’s mask in your inventory? It won’t alert him if you have the mask on your counselor. At least it was that way at launch, not sure if they patched it or not.

3 hours ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

EXACTLY. Which is why the boat has been my lone wolf go to escape method since launch. So if they add that sound to PS4 and Xbox, that’s NEW CONTENT. 

As far as I know there was never a boat start sound on consoles. Many of times you could sneakily escape on the boat, especially if the car is going as well...most Jason players will prioritize the car since four people can get out as opposed to only two on the boat.

It’s already hard enough to get out on the boat on Jarvis map, I hate that the patched it so you can’t go under the bridge and you HAVE to loop around the island and bump into like six huge rocks. All the other maps it is pretty easy to escape on the boat especially Pineworst. Just don’t think the boat starting sound is necessary ?

8 minutes ago, JennyMyers1984 said:

Did you have Jason’s mask in your inventory? It won’t alert him if you have the mask on your counselor. At least it was that way at launch, not sure if they patched it or not.

I was spectating after died, so not sure if they did or not. something i wanna try out now to see if its still a thing. Thanks!

Okay , guys I checked it and the Sound cue is extremely quiet , you can very easily overhear if you don't listen closely. If you didn't know it was changed , you wouldn't have noticed.

Whoever gave me a laughing Emoji , I am serious it's really quiet. Atleast it was in my match.

• Haha 1

Not good. I don’t understand why anybody would think a boat start-up sound for Jason is a great idea if you’ve ever tried to escape that way yourself. 20% of the time he’ll meet you at the exit even if you don’t make any mistakes in the repairs. If you screw up the propeller sound then you’re basically relying on Jason being a noob, because otherwise he’ll show up 90% of the time or higher. If he hears the sound of the boat start then the only Jasons you have even a slim chance of escape with are Part 4 and Savini, and ONLY as long as the boat doesn’t spawn by the main house on Higgins. Likewise escape on Pinehurst is equally implausible.  The boat becomes less of an escape route and more of a distraction for the other already popular objectives. I hate it. 

17 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Okay , guys I checked it and the Sound cue is extremely quiet , you can very easily overhear if you don't listen closely. If you didn't know it was changed , you wouldn't have noticed.

It isn’t extremely quiet. Most likely Jason is physically near enough to the boat to hear it start. 

Or since the new update on PC?

5 minutes ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

Any sound que can be easily missed if you are near someone playing their music over their mic... a sneaky tactic that I have seen used on many occasions... Never underestimate the sneakiness... Even if I like their music... when I play Jason I have to mute them to render said tactic useless... and yes... some people do this just to make themselves a target for distraction... and it works quite well against any Jason that does not mute them.

As to the boat escapes... I watched at least four different boat escapes last night on various maps when I was not playing Jason, I also escaped on it once myself without Jason even showing up. Only one Jason player other than myself caught a boat trying to escape... but I do not know the circumstances in which they were caught as I was busy fixing something at the time.
   I caught the boat twice on one map (Pinehurst)… but still had someone escape in it as the second time I caught it was right in front of the exit... not even worth morphing to after I heard the sound that time. The first attempted escape on the boat in this match, I can truthfully say I probably would have missed it without the start up sound... the second time I caught it, I saw the sound pings in the direction of the boat... but I waited for it to start moving so I could see which direction they were going before morphing in front of it.

Whether the sound was there early or not.... I do not know... I have only been playing since October. As to it being new content... the sound was already in the game, having it play at a different time would probably fall under balance adjustments... for it to be new content, it would have to be a new sound. They may not be able to add a rock or a tree... but they could move an existing rock or tree to a different spot without it being called new content... that is a change using existing content... not truly something new.
   But so far at least... the boat having a start up sound has not made it a surefire kill for Jason... or no one would be escaping on it at all. It sure as hell makes it a lot riskier to attempt it though. As more people figure out that the boat start up noise is there (not everyone reads the patch notes)… it may yet become more difficult to escape on it, only time will tell... But I for one will continue to use the boat as often as possible.

Just thought of an idea that could have worked if there wasn't this unknown of officially off-limits game changes as of now, but as a trade-off to this whole complaint, if ANY skill checks are missed for ANY vehicle while repairing, then a sound cue for starting up happens.  If there are NO MISSED checks during repairs, a vehicle can silently start up.  Fair?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RustInPeace said:

Just thought of an idea that could have worked if there wasn't this unknown of officially off-limits game changes as of now, but as a trade-off to this whole complaint, if ANY skill checks are missed for ANY vehicle while repairing, then a sound cue for starting up happens.  If there are NO MISSED checks during repairs, a vehicle can silently start up.  Fair?

I don't hate this. I think you would see a shift in characters running more Deb, LaChappa, and AJ. Which could actually be a bit of a nerf to Jason depending on how the match plays out.

As it was the last time I played there were usually at least two Vanessas in the lobby as the premium is on running and she is good enough to repair, but may mess us a skill check.

It would be interesting anyway.

7 hours ago, malloymk said:

Here is a boat alert noise for Jason. Yeah yeah, apparently this is a bug that's been in the game even though these guys have gone on record saying it was meant to be silent. 

Do these developers even play this game?

They made it a counselor dance off, are oblivious to how Jason's playstyle is not enough to beat a counselor hopped up on perks, and haven't added a 5-10 second immunity to stunning after Jason recovers to make him menacing and drive home how you're supposed to run.

What do you think?

That said, the boat noise is nice as I'm for any perk making Jason dangerous once again.

I don't think I've ever heard any start-up noise from the boat, so I always assumed it just never had one for whatever reason.

So people bitch non stop about how weak Jason is. But fix or add something to make it harder to escape and people loose their minds. So with everyones logic they should remove all sound cues right?? Yeah Im sure you guys would flip out if they removed car cues.  Like Im a critical person of the game and call it how I see it but come on people. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K3ys3r S0z3 said:

So people bitch non stop about how weak Jason is. But fix or add something to make it harder to escape and people loose their minds. So with everyones logic they should remove all sound cues right?? Yeah Im sure you guys would flip out if they removed car cues.  Like Im a critical person of the game and call it how I see it but come on people. 

But this doesn’t make Jason “stronger”, per se. It just throws the method of escape out of balance so that even fewer people use the boat than they did before. Nobody has ever lamented how Jason needed help in the water. NOBODY. It’s a buff in an area that he didn’t need, simple as that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think people are overreacting. Good groups use the boat to kite jasons (any non water speed jason that is) and waste time. That hasn’t really changed. Even without the boat noise, you are dead 99% of the time against a competent water speed jason. The noise barely matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woundcowboy said:

I think people are overreacting. Good groups use the boat to kite jasons (any non water speed jason that is) and waste time. That hasn’t really changed. Even without the boat noise, you are dead 99% of the time against a competent water speed jason. The noise barely matters.

You are only dead 99% of the time if you attract a water Jason’s attention. That’s the important difference here. The way they made it now, even if you are flawless in your repair you’re still going to get noticed. So what’s the point in even trying? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RustInPeace said:

That is a horrible idea in my opinion.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

You are only dead 99% of the time if you attract a water Jason’s attention. That’s the important difference here. The way they made it now, even if you are flawless in your repair you’re still going to get noticed. So what’s the point in even trying? 

Nah, Jason will check the map constantly if he knows what he is doing. That’s all the attention that he needs

20 minutes ago, woundcowboy said:

Nah, Jason will check the map constantly if he knows what he is doing. That’s all the attention that he needs

Exactly. Jason should know what he is doing to stop the boat. Bad players shouldn’t just have easy kills handed to them on a plate, and good players don’t need the extra help. 

9 hours ago, woundcowboy said:

9 hours ago, CountYorgaVampir said:

Exactly. Jason should know what he is doing to stop the boat. Bad players shouldn’t just have easy kills handed to them on a plate, and good players don’t need the extra help. 

These I agree with.  They are also why I try to put logic to my statements.  The game should do one of three things.  Either:

A. Start up sounds for all vehicles (because why would he only hear a car start up across the map?)

B.  NO start up sounds for ANY vehicles, unless within proximity (again, how or why would he hear ANYTHING start up if it is nowhere near?)

C.  Implement some sort of risk/reward to the repair meta, so if a fail happens to a vehicle OF COURSE Jasons attention will be alerted to it via the failure SFX.  Otherwise, if all repairs were silent, a silent start up is rewarded for doing so.  It makes it as a choice/skill in one, as in "Do I lure Jason away from ____ by failing a check DELIBERATELY, or try to get everything in stealthily and get the fuck out unnoticed?"  THAT is the kind of choice I want to have to be made (as I suggested, yet instead...

11 hours ago, The Wolf with that Toast said:

That is a horrible idea in my opinion.

My idea is your opinion is horrible.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RustInPeace said:

My idea is your opinion is horrible.)

Hey man , I wasn't trying to attack you , your idea was Pretty interesting….but it would be a pain in the ass. This is where it would cross the line for me.

And you actually asked how we think of it and I don't think it would be fair.