Sign in to follow this  
deathbat96777

Is the Return of Michael Myers mask underrated?

A lot of people think it's one of the worst designs as it strays very far from the original Shatner version as saw in the first two flicks, but to me, it's actually the most realistic rendition of any of the sequel masks. My reasoning for this is the sheer fact that Michael walking into a Halloween store and pulling a cheap knock off of his old mask off a shelf and expecting it to look like a screen accurate copy of his mask from his original killing spree is absurd. It looks like a mask you would buy for twenty dollars at a Halloween express, which is exactly the type of scenario we see in H4. Realistically, Haddonfield isn't going to make a screen accurate remake of an infamous killer's mask that gave the town a bad name and sell it in stores. It would just be distasteful. Michael going into a shop and finding another cheap white mask that looks like a knock off is actually realistic to me. If Michael went into a local shop and found a mask that looks like a $350 Night Owl Studios replica of his mask in the first movie, it would almost be too realistic to believe to me. His mask looking off fits the context of where he stole it from. Anyone else agree or does my opinion make sense?

to me it's just too thin and tight to his face, but again i agree with you about it being a cheap dollar store mask. the real abomination is the H5 mask......

It may be "more realistic" but it was painted so cheaply that it reacted poorly to the lighting in many scenes. How the finished product looks on camera has to be considered first, even if "cheap looking" seems more realistic to the plot. It also didn't help that in a couple scenes they used the unpainted pink skin and blond hair mask that was mistakenly shipped to the set, which shows the level of care and passion invested in this film.

The Halloween 4 hero mask has some creepy qualities. They used several masks in the film some ok others just horrendously painted and converted

They all were very poorly converted  shatner masks.

you can see in this image that the unconverted mask has more Michael Myers features than the final version used in the movie..... the potential was there to be a great mask...

On 8/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, OCT 31 1978 said:

The Halloween 4 hero mask has some creepy qualities. They used several masks in the film some ok others just horrendously painted and converted

you can see in this image that the unconverted mask has more Michael Myers features than the final version used in the movie..... the potential was there to be a great mask...

2D6BF06F-CD07-4286-BA28-48D12F441B79.jpeg

if i recall they had issues with the masks, the ones with the white where not  properly finished and had white hair and pink skin, the other one was too small, i don't mind the mask in the film but i absolutely hate that god awful mask in the sequel

A little off topic, but Universal Studios Orlando just announced Halloween 4 will be part of Halloween Horror Nights this year. (Also, they will have a Poltergeist house, which looks to be based off the classic version of the film.)

• Like 1

it makes sense for the mask to be cheap looking because if Michael Myers walks into a store to steal a cheap mask it's not going to look like an exact replica of his old mask, especially with the bad taste his killing spree left in the town's mouth. 

20 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

it makes sense for the mask to be cheap looking because if Michael Myers walks into a store to steal a cheap mask it's not going to look like an exact replica of his old mask, especially with the bad taste his killing spree left in the town's mouth. 

Me personally they humanized him way to much.

He stabs a girl through the chest with a shotgun, he shoves his thumb through a guy's forehead, he gets hit by a truck and gets up again, etc. Not exactly human

23 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

He stabs a girl through the chest with a shotgun, he shoves his thumb through a guy's forehead, he gets hit by a truck and gets up again, etc. Not exactly human

Exactly..... parts 4-6 definitely bring in the more superhuman/ supernatural aspects about him....

zombies films humanized him more than anything from the original series.

Speaking of Zombie, I feel like I'm of the rare minority in saying I actually thoroughly enjoyed his first entry. His second one on the other hand..... I like to think only the first 15 minutes happened, then when Michael slammed the axe down, that's where it really ended. The rest is a dream because Laurie is in a coma dying from an axe wound to the face

2 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

Speaking of Zombie, I feel like I'm of the rare minority in saying I actually thoroughly enjoyed his first entry. His second one on the other hand..... I like to think only the first 15 minutes happened, then when Michael slammed the axe down, that's where it really ended. The rest is a dream because Laurie is in a coma dying from an axe wound to the face

Yeah, you're in the minority on that one. ?

On 8/13/2018 at 2:38 AM, OCT 31 1978 said:

2D6BF06F-CD07-4286-BA28-48D12F441B79.jpeg

I really don't like the Halloween 4 mask on the left. His hair was all slicked back and the eyes were too big. It lacked menace. Looked cheap. 

I believe the blonde hair mask was the original mask used in Halloween 2 but as it was that long ago it had aged badly and the hair colour had faded to blonde. It was kept by producer Debra Hill who was a heavy smoker so it was in a bad environment. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:36 AM, kohagan said:

I really don't like the Halloween 4 mask on the left. His hair was all slicked back and the eyes were too big. It lacked menace. Looked cheap. 

I believe the blonde hair mask was the original mask used in Halloween 2 but as it was that long ago it had aged badly and the hair colour had faded to blonde. It was kept by producer Debra Hill who was a heavy smoker so it was in a bad environment. 

Dick warlock had the original mask after Halloween 2 it was given to him by Debra hill after filming.

the one in Halloween 4 during the school scene with the blonde hair is a unconverted 75 Shatner.... I don’t know the specifics as to why it was not converted before filming that scene.

( I have heard one story that the fx department was unsure of the process needed to convert the mask and did not want to ruin it as it was the only 75 Kirk they could get their hands on.)

I did read that the scene was too expensive to reshoot and that is why it  had to stay in the film.

after it was converted it was used in the Kelly meeker death scene where Michael impales her with a shot gun.( I posted a picture of the conversion.)

I also read the producers did not like how the mask looked and it was recast and reconverted..... and that is how we ended up with the slicked back hair mask you, me and a lot of fans are not fans of.

I personally would have preferred the mask used in the school house and Kelly meeker death scenes over what we got it at least captured the look of the original.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:02 PM, deathbat96777 said:

Zombies “Halloween films“ put me into a Catatonic state of shock......just the unnecessary amount of vulgar/ trashy writing that he used doesn’t belong in a Halloween movie.

I liked House of a 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects.... he is a good filmmaker you can see it in his films he just shouldn’t be doing films with Michael Myers.

he has a strange way of writing characters no one relates to or even likes.

My main problem with Zombie's movies is the language. It's just not realistic. A lot of people really do cuss that way, but not everyone. Profanity always needs to have a balance. A good example would be the last Wolverine movie Logan. Wolverine, Charles, and the main baddie cussed a lot, but the little girl, the evil doctor, Calaban, the family they stayed with, etc didn't cuss much. Balance is key. It's more realistic

2 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

My main problem with Zombie's movies is the language. It's just not realistic. A lot of people really do cuss that way, but not everyone. Profanity always needs to have a balance. A good example would be the last Wolverine movie Logan. Wolverine, Charles, and the main baddie cussed a lot, but the little girl, the evil doctor, Calaban, the family they stayed with, etc didn't cuss much. Balance is key. It's more realistic

Agreed, I was cringing listening to the dialogue between Laurie, Annie and Linda in Zombies Halloween.... I am not female but even most Guy friends don’t talk to each other like these girls were...

the whole scene in the beginning with Michaels mom his sister and Boyfriend made me want to take a shower.

I think I would've been fine with that kind of foul talk and profanity if it had just been isolated to the myers family in the prequel part. That would've made Michael's upbringing more shocking and would've shown how different he was in contrast to the rest of Haddonfield. It would've made a much more human Michael more believable and the movie more surreal if it'd had just been that family that was like that and no one else was. 

On 9/19/2018 at 2:11 AM, deathbat96777 said:

I think I would've been fine with that kind of foul talk and profanity if it had just been isolated to the myers family in the prequel part. That would've made Michael's upbringing more shocking and would've shown how different he was in contrast to the rest of Haddonfield. It would've made a much more human Michael more believable and the movie more surreal if it'd had just been that family that was like that and no one else was. 

I honestly can’t stand the backstory Zombies uses in the remake.... I prefer the Snaps with no reason approach of the original....having such a dysfunctional family was way too on the nose of a real life serial killer....

with that said I did enjoy the scenes with Loomis and Michael in Smith’s Grove when he was a child.... once we get to adult Michael... Zombie is back to ridiculous vulgar shock to move his story forward...

rape scene...terrible.

Joe Grizzly taking a shit...terrible.

the best parts of his movie are the quiet moments when Michael is stalking Laurie...or standing over, looking down at Linsey...and the scene where Laurie is calling the police and Annie has been beaten to a bloody pulp...

other then those short scenes the film doesn’t work  for me....

13 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

I honestly can’t stand the backstory Zombies uses in the remake.... I prefer the Snaps with no reason approach of the original....having such a dysfunctional family was way to on the nose to a real life serial killer....

with that said I did enjoy the scenes with Loomis and Michael in Smith’s Grove when he was a child.... once we get to adult Michael... Zombie is back to ridiculous vulgar shock to move his story forward...

rape scene...terrible.

the best parts of his movie are the quiet moments when Michael is stalking Laurie...or standing over, looking down at Linsey...and the scene where Laurie is calling the police and Annie has been beaten to a bloody pulp...

Rape scene? and also is that the "Dark heart of Jason Voorhees" profile pic?

2 hours ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

Rape scene? and also is that the "Dark heart of Jason Voorhees" profile pic?

Yes in the unrated directors cut Michael escapes because two orderlies bring a patient into Michael room and rape her telling Michael to join in.... he then attacks them and kills them as he escapes Smiths grove....such garbage...

the theatrical cuts escape is much better it feels premeditated from Michael perspective... the directors cut make it seem like he would have stayed in the asylum if the shitty orderlies didn’t attempt to rape a girl in his room and leave his door open...

the profile pic is an image from the trailer of Jason goes to hell....which looks very similar to the documentary cover art.

The Dark Heart of Jason Voorhees cover art looks awesome too!

10 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Yes in the unrated directors cut Michael escapes because two orderlies bring a patient into Michael room and rape her telling Michael to join in.... he then attacks them and kills them as he escapes Smiths grove....such garbage...

the theatrical cuts escape is much better it feels premeditated from Michael perspective... the directors cut make it seem like he would have stayed in the asylum if the shitty orderlies didn’t attempt to rape a girl in his room and leave his door open...

the profile pic is an image from the trailer of Jason goes to hell....which looks very similar to the documentary cover art.

The Dark Heart of Jason Voorhees cover art looks awesome too!

oooh the remake gotcha! and yeah I remember seeing two versions and gotcha!

On 9/19/2018 at 8:35 PM, OCT 31 1978 said:

I honestly can’t stand the backstory Zombies uses in the remake.... I prefer the Snaps with no reason approach of the original....having such a dysfunctional family was way to on the nose to a real life serial killer....

rape scene...terrible.

I agree, zombie didn't really get the original depiction of micheal myers. 

That a kid from a seemingly ordinary family just snaps without motive and kills. That he escapes and returns to the town, wears a mask, stalking and killing teens for no reason makes it so chilling. He's a complete psycho. 

Rob zombies version was typical his style, with scum bag trashy characters. Making Michael a poor victim of a bad childhood etc. Was horrid. 

The third act which played similar to the original wasn't bad, but it just doesn't get anywhere near the brilliant original 78'.

• Like 1